Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 264625 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #4215 on: September 27, 2021, 12:39:57 PM »

Looks like RU is finally competitive in the big 10. Tough loss to Mich.

Congratulations on the cover
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: September 29, 2021, 11:22:53 AM »

EVENTUAL 2021-2022 NATIONAL CHAMPION MICHIGAN STATE 35, Western Kentucky 20

Granted, our putrid second half offensive performance was rescued by a trick and a series of fortunate events (probably would not have worked if the punter had not punted to the wrong side of the field, away from his team apostrophe s coverage) but winzawin as I always say.  I look for Eventual 2021 Heisman Trophy Winner Kenneth Walker III and Walter Peyton Manning Thorne to get back on track. Thorne has a real connection with Reed (they grew up together) and both Reed and Nailor have shown that they are dynamic players with the ball in their hands. Defensively, we are not as strong as the old No Fly Zone years, but we are strong up front and I think the secondary is growing up. While they are a Gang of 6 School with a 1 and 2 record, WKU has played both Army and Indiana tough, so it is not a cake walk.

Alabama 35, Old Missississippi 31

23 and 0 and counting. Satan has never lost to a former assistant.  I do not think Kiffin is the one to break that streak. (I think that will happen later this year. Not to give away my picks, but the ex-assistant has a name that rhymes with Smirby Kart) I also think that second half against Florida as just what Satan needed to kick his team in the ass. Old Mississippi has a strong run game, and Bama has been vulnerable to the run, at least against Florida, so I expect some drama.

Iowa 27, Maryland 14

It would not surprise me to see Iowa lose this one. Or if you prefer, Maryland to win it. Mini Tug has been really good this year, and Iowa has some offensive issues that a strong defense has covered so far. Maryland is 4 and 0 with one good OOC win, but this begins a stretch of games where we will really find out about them. Six of their next seven are against teams currently, or who were once, ranked in the Top 25. I think realistically they have a successful season with two or three wins in that stretch.

Georgia 20, Arkansas 10

So, it turns out Arkansas is real despite my previously expressed doubts.  I have reservations about both Texas and TAMU, but they are solid teams and Arkansas handled them easily.  But you know who else it turns out is real despite my previously expressed doubts? Georgia
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: September 29, 2021, 11:25:12 AM »

Georgia 20, Arkansas 10

So, it turns out Arkansas is real despite my previously expressed doubts.  I have reservations about both Texas and TAMU, but they are solid teams and Arkansas handled them easily.  But you know who else it turns out is real despite my previously expressed doubts? Georgia apostrophe s defense.  77 total yards. I do not care if it is Vanderbilt or the Chicago Bears. That is impressive.

Florida 35, Kentucky 10

Theoretically, Kentucky a potential playoff team, being in first place in the God apostrophe s Conference East. Theoretically, I am a potential millionaire until I check my Powerball ticket.

Meatchicken 17, Wisconsin 10

I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: September 29, 2021, 11:27:03 AM »

Meatchicken 17, Wisconsin 10

/he final score is not indicative of how close the game was is a stupid cliche. Wisky has offensive issues that a real good defense cannot hide, and it starts with a quarterback who has thrown more touchdown passes to the other guys than his own. Wisky apostrophe s defense poses a challenge, and I think as the year goes on and the competition improves, teams will work on shutting down the Meatchicken run game and force them to pass, which worked well for Meats against Rutgers. I am not sure Meats has the passing attack to take on tougher teams than they have played, but Wisky has shown essentially nothing offensively and Meatchicken has a good defense.

Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie 31, Cincinnati 27

OLotPT is unbeaten without being really impressive. They laid the wood to Wisky Saturday but the final score is not indicative of how close the game was. I like what I have seen of Cinci. Well coached, talented. I just think OLotPT is a bit better in terms of talent.  I wonder, though, what happens if Cinci wins this and runs the table. Is this the year a Gang of Six team can edge into the playoffs? It is not hard to see a bunch of two loss conference champs, like 2007, since the only super teams I have seen are in God apostrophe s Conference.  Would an unbeaten Cinci, with two wins over quality Power Four teams, be more playoff worthy than, say, a two loss Oklahoma or the? Both of which, by the way, I am calling. Also, technically, I have rhetorically made the Pure Prairie League in a Gang of Six Conference, but that is really premature to do until Okie and Texas actually depart.

Woke Forest 24, Louisville 14

It looks like Wake Forest is the best hope for the South Atlantic League to make the playoffs, unless you count Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie. So far, thanks to ClemSIN and its extended run of excellent quarterbacks, it is one of the two conferences to make the playoffs every year.  Outside of a team winning all its games, or the calendar turning back to 2007, they are out this year. The strength of schedule just will not support a one loss team from that conference.

Colorado 31, University of California* 27

SC still cannot run the ball.  That results in too much pressure on whoever the quarterback is.  Personally I would go with Dart because he is the future, but if you are an interim coach who already knows will not get the fulltime job you probably just want to get wins to impress someone with a head coach vacancy down the line and let the future take care of itself.  What happened to SC? They could not even lick the Beavers. A series of bad coaching hires since Pete Carroll left?  No wonder trojanhorse has been AWOL.

the 35, Rutgers 24

Did I read that right? The has fired the Pope?  Talk about arrogance! Anyway, Henderson Henderson Henderson.  That should open up the passing game.  Defensively, stopping the aptly named Zips may provide a breather and some confidence but it does not change the underlying issue. Also, I guess at this point it is necessary to question the apostrophe s internal dynamics and cohesiveness. I do not think Rutgers has the offensive firepower to take full advantage of the apostrophe s issues.

Syracuse 27, Florida State 13

Holy shit FSU is bad.  What the Hell has happened to them?  Mike Norvell was given a vote of confidence by the AD after the third loss.  You know what that means.  With Helton already gone, he is the clear leader in the Most Fired sweepstakes.

Kansas State 27, Oklahoma 24

Look, Okie is not that good.  I have seen them play a couple times, and they are not that good. Granted, I have more respect for Nebraskas defense after the second half last week, but still. They are not that good.  They have been fortunate to get out with wins the last two weeks.  The offense is pedestrian at best. I think I am going to pick against them repeatedly until they eventually lose twice.

Oregon 31, Stanford 20

Whatever goes on with the, that win over Fresno State is currently giving the Ducks two quality out of conference wins, which is good because right now they have one quality game before the season ends and any slip up is going to hurt the playoff run. A loss to, say, Stanford, could well drop them behind other 1 loss conference champs (including should it transpire, the) that pay tougher conference schedules. So, there can be no let down for the Quackers, and Stanford is just good enough to be dangerous.

Oklahoma State 24, Baylor 21

Say!  Look who are both 4 and 0! That is nice for them. I do not think either of them are in it for the long haul as playoff threats, but they can both put together nice seasons.  I like the Okie State defense.

the Pennsylvania State University 35, Indiana 24

The Big However Many East is looking like the second best division in CFB this year, after God apostrophe s Conference West. It is hard for me to see anyone getting out unscathed, but if any team can, it is the Nittany Kittens.  Clifford is not the Big Red Dog I thought he was. Not that he is great, but he can make the throws and run the team.  I have been skeptical about Indiana, and it looks like I was right. Pennix has had serious issues, and the team around him just is not that good.

Boston College 31, ClemSIN 10

I guess BC is also in the running for the South Atlantic League championship through four games. ClemSIN is now battling injuries as well as incompetence on offense.  It is only four games and can turn around, but it is looking like I have never been so wrong about a non MSU player as I was about Scrabble Guy.

the Louisiana State University 27, Auburn 20

Probably the fifth and sixth teams in the God apostrophe s Conference Legends Division. Ole Mississippi State is in for a rough year. I discount the Auburn let down against Georgia Southern. That kind of thing is always troubling, but rarely matters in the games the team gets up for.  The game is at the LSU, though, and I still think Nix is bad.

University of California** 31, the Arizona State University 27

Not that anyone but me is staying up late enough to see this one. That loss to Fresno State is going to hurt UCLA. I think there was some undue hype for ASU at the start of the season, but they have been about what I expected. Pretty good, but not Top 25.  It is UCLA apostrophe s toughest remaining game other than both contests against Oregon. They get ASU at home, so I will use that as the decision point.

* Southern

** at Los Angeles

« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 11:31:45 AM by Hairy Lime »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: October 02, 2021, 01:42:05 PM »

I can't say enough about how impressed I am about the Georgia defense. I mean,,, WOW.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: October 02, 2021, 04:29:33 PM »

I can't say enough about how impressed I am about the Georgia defense. I mean,,, WOW.
I think they are slipping. They gave up twice as many yards this week compared to last week. Keep this up and soon they will give up a rushing tiuchdown.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: October 02, 2021, 05:03:56 PM »

Meanwhile.the the we are seeing today is the the we were expecting. 10/30 is going to be interesting.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: October 02, 2021, 07:13:42 PM »

23 points in five games, they're certainly looking like the bully on the boardwalk.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: October 02, 2021, 08:16:26 PM »

So with Oregon's loss and Cinci's win, what will it take for a Gang of 5 team to make the playoffs? Will the Committee view an unbeaten Cinci as comparable to a one loss power conference team? Do they need some two loss teams to win conferences to get in?

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: October 02, 2021, 09:30:47 PM »

So with Oregon's loss and Cinci's win, what will it take for a Gang of 5 team to make the playoffs? Will the Committee view an unbeaten Cinci as comparable to a one loss power conference team? Do they need some two loss teams to win conferences to get in?
A more timely question is will Cincy crack  the top five in the polls after 4 weeks of games?
If so then running the table will be a ticket to the Playoffs.
Which is to say the cart is still in front of the horse.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: October 03, 2021, 08:51:07 AM »

A more timely question is will Cincy crack  the top five in the polls after 4 weeks of games?
If so then running the table will be a ticket to the Playoffs.
Which is to say the cart is still in front of the horse.
No, but they will after 5 weeks.

Do you think an unbeaten Cinci would get 8n the playoffs over a 9nce beaten Big However Many champ or.a one loss Oklahoma? Or a Bama/Georgia with one loss? Because right now those would be your four playoff teams. I think Cinci will need more power conference chaos to get in. Which is possible, the Big However Many is going to be tough, and Oklahoma unimpressive. Cinci has the OLofPT and Indy wins, but any of the teams.i identified will have more impressive, and more impressive wins.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: October 03, 2021, 11:12:30 AM »

Is Kenny Pickett charging into the Heisman picture? I never would have thought Narduzzi would have that level of offense.

Between Oregon spitting the bit at Stanford and UCLA losing at home, looks like the PAWCP is sitting out the playoffs again. Even if O runs the table, they will not  have another ranked team to play. I think even a one loss the gets in ahead of them.

ClemSIN is still not playing offense. It remains hard to believe how poor they have been.

Kiffin IS a clown.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: October 03, 2021, 12:29:24 PM »

Without any so-called major teams remaining in their schedule they will probably have wait fir the inevitable attrition of the top 7 teams. And they will need to remain impressive in their wins. But yeah, it's possible.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: October 03, 2021, 12:35:03 PM »

Hard to believe that Clemson's offense is that bad. But results certainly point that direction. Is it the OL or skill set or play calling? I just haven't watched them enough to form an opinion.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: October 03, 2021, 12:58:03 PM »

Being the stat hound everyone knows I am I did some quick preliminary checking of Clemson's offense(dragged most of this off of a CBS sports piece) and these are the sticking points that stood out to me.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/the-monday-after-why-the-clemson-offense-has-struggled-during-lackluster-start-to-2021-season/

Clemson is only averaging only 1.39 yards before contact that flat out sucks. That stat ranks 13th in the ACC with ony Louisville sucking worse. But to further flesh out the stat that puts Clemson at 102nd nationally.Youch!

Furthermore Clemson's young QB has been getting sacked a lot and pressured a lot, they're 81st nationally in preventing sacks and again on a bottom end of the ACC ranking 9th. The QB has been pressured on 29.9% of his pass attempts which puts them at again broken record here 9th in the ACC. That ranks them 61st nationally, and he has had an average of 2.46 seconds to throw the ball which is 81st nationally, 11th in ACC gee I bet they wish they were 9th again like everything else. :-)

So I've come to the conclusion that the problem is that they can't block anyone which leads to the inevitable statement of, they can't pass and they can't run.

Because they're OL sucks. 

Somebody else mentioned, Herbstreet I think, they lacked a good slot receiver. Thar rings atrue to me as I remember how devastating Hunter Renfro was to defenses when he was there.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 01:30:39 PM by CaptainCargo »
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 329