Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 264631 times)

Driver125

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #1230 on: November 27, 2018, 11:03:15 PM »

Kids don’t care. Adults don’t care.
Well, not to be too obvious, but those big ratings mean somebody cares…..or did people just turn on their sets and go out and rake the yard?

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: November 27, 2018, 11:28:21 PM »

Wait:  The tosu/mich game did good numbers.

Who cares other than the TV people, it’s a big rivalry and MICH hasn’t been good in 15 years...??

Kids don’t care.

Adults don’t care.

Network executives look up from their phones for a minute??
And it pisses you and Cargo off.
Priceless.

Amuses would be the word you are searching for...

...nobody disputes that there are a sh!tload of tosu fans and even some mich fans left to sell tostitos and beer and fast food too...how else would they know what to eat and fuel the charming midwestern fat belt...???

They watch TV.

They buy shit.

They eat shit.

They aren’t handing out awards or anything.

Hospital bills??  Sure...

That anyone on a sports forum would trot out RATINGS, not players, not play, not the game, as some sort of SIGNIFIER OF SOMETHING IMPORTANT is for real, HILARIOUS...

Does it fill that swirling sucking void that remains when neither is likely of any consequence in the big SHOW??

It must.

LOFUCKINGL of the SEASON...

Lace em up NIELSEN (cough)...

Pathetic

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: November 28, 2018, 12:17:40 AM »

Who cares other than the TV people, it’s a big rivalry and MICH hasn’t been good in 15 years...??

Kids don’t care.

Adults don’t care.

Priceless.

Amuses would be the word you are searching for...

...nobody disputes that there are a sh!tload of tosu fans and even some mich fans left to sell tostitos and beer and fast food too...how else would they know what to eat and fuel the charming midwestern fat belt...???

They watch TV.

They buy shit.

They eat shit.

They aren’t handing out awards or anything.

Hospital bills??  Sure...

That anyone on a sports forum would trot out RATINGS, not players, not play, not the game, as some sort of SIGNIFIER OF SOMETHING IMPORTANT is for real, HILARIOUS...

Does it fill that swirling sucking void that remains when neither is likely of any consequence in the big SHOW??

It must.

LOFUCKINGL of the SEASON...

Lace em up NIELSEN (cough)...

Pathetic
Clemson grad
Enough said
( in a syncopated way, of course)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:25:53 AM by Espnthree »

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: November 28, 2018, 07:48:06 AM »

Ohio State has one loss and looks like it has no chance to gain ground should Oklahoma win.

The Buckeyes play a four loss Northwestern school. The best matchup the Big Ten could apparently produce. The Wildcats have lost all three of their OOC games including a loss to the 4-7 and aptly named Akron Zips. Well, to be fair the Zips have one bowl game that I can remember. The Spud Bowl I think it was.
Yeah, the West suckex this year. Almost as bad as the South Atlantic League Coastal.

So I think it's safe to say that without a loss by the Sooners OSU won't be getting into the Football Four.
Do not be so sure. The C9mmittee seems to value wins more than they discount losses. For what it is worth, Oklahoma has given up 40 points or more in each of their last four games. The whole record matters, not just one team's bad game.
   And that actually might be better for them as they'd probably be favored playing whatever PAC team that gets thrown at them. Probably Washington. I'm sure their fans would be happier seeing them go out with a win.
Well, that is stupid. From personal experience, the chance to be in a playoff trumps the bowls, even if you get waxed. Maybe one day a team you root for will make it and you will see what I mean.

Yeah the ACC Coastal isn't all that.

You could be right. But I think for that to happen OSU has to hop Oklahoma tonight. Otherwise I'm not seeing it.
Not so fast my friend. Do not lose sight of the fact that the Committee reevaluates from scratch each week.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: November 28, 2018, 08:15:51 AM »

Kids don’t care.

Adults don’t care.

Priceless.

I'm laughing at you twit. I've been laughing at you for about a decade now.

There used to be a professional wrestler called the Ultimate Warrior. He would run to the ring and shake the rope like a maniac in his little preening display.
You remind me of him. Only you are the Ultimate Homer.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: November 28, 2018, 08:57:04 AM »

Ohio State has one loss and looks like it has no chance to gain ground should Oklahoma win.

The Buckeyes play a four loss Northwestern school. The best matchup the Big Ten could apparently produce. The Wildcats have lost all three of their OOC games including a loss to the 4-7 and aptly named Akron Zips. Well, to be fair the Zips have one bowl game that I can remember. The Spud Bowl I think it was.
Yeah, the West suckex this year. Almost as bad as the South Atlantic League Coastal.

So I think it's safe to say that without a loss by the Sooners OSU won't be getting into the Football Four.
Do not be so sure. The C9mmittee seems to value wins more than they discount losses. For what it is worth, Oklahoma has given up 40 points or more in each of their last four games. The whole record matters, not just one team's bad game.
   And that actually might be better for them as they'd probably be favored playing whatever PAC team that gets thrown at them. Probably Washington. I'm sure their fans would be happier seeing them go out with a win.
Well, that is stupid. From personal experience, the chance to be in a playoff trumps the bowls, even if you get waxed. Maybe one day a team you root for will make it and you will see what I mean.

Yeah the ACC Coastal isn't all that.

You could be right. But I think for that to happen OSU has to hop Oklahoma tonight. Otherwise I'm not seeing it.
Not so fast my friend. Do not lose sight of the fact that the Committee reevaluates from scratch each week.

Yes it's a weekly examination. Totally agree with that and onboard. But since the body of work has now been established for the regular season, that, as they say, is cut and dried.

So the Exsecutiva commissionibus has one game left to 'rate'. Much has been said about how they rate/favor the quality wins over the Bad losses. We have disagreed about that a shitload of times in the past. Me on one side you on the other. Well as I have often said this Quality Wins thing doesn't seem to ring true in this case. Or they would be ahead of Oklahoma as I type. They're not. OSU has the better BIG QW but they are still behind, regular season is over. Still behind.

No, I think the Committee is concerned about the blowout loss to Purdue just as they were concerned about the blowout loss to Iowa last year. QL for lack of a better term.

So, IMO, they will need to smoke Northwestern in order to get in. Much like they smoked paper tiger Wisconsin a short while back. Yes that could happen. Oklahoma however simply needs to win and they sort of erase the only blemish in their record, beating the one team they lost to in the regular season. A team that is 'currently' ranked in the Committee's Top 10 I might add.

I think only a loss by Oklahoma is going to change the Committee members mind. Because they are human. No matter how much they try and follow their rules that can be interpreted in several different ways by any one of them, they're human. They'll remember Clemson smoking OSU whether they consciously want to or not. They'll remember how Oklahoma gave Georgia all it wanted last year and how Georgia gave Bama all it wanted. They as humans want to whether knowingly or not have the games competitive.(To help with the ratings that Jim ejaculates all over himself on)[High ratings for Mich/OSU who would have thought it?] But I digress.

I believe they want a team to be able to lay 30 points on Bama if they meet. Of all the teams out there I can only think of three teams that would have a shot to lay 30+ points on Bama and OSU is not one of them.

Lastly, and it may just boil down to it's as simple as this, Oklahoma plays the significantly higher rated team in this last chance to garner points. The Big 10's Weak Sister Division could hurt them more than any other thing at this juncture of the evaluation period.(A severe lack of foresight on the Big 10's brass not to have Michigan St or Penn St(or both) in different Divisions than Michigan and OSU. So it will be incredibly tough for the Buckeyes to hop over the Sooners and the deck seems stacked against the Buckeyes. The Buckeyes IMO need a Longhorn victory. But as I always say, opinions vary. :-)

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:34:04 AM by CaptainCargo »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: November 28, 2018, 09:02:17 AM »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25395660/oklahoma-ahead-ohio-state-was-right-call-cfp-committee

Another opinion concerning the Oklahoma/OSU debate.

Some pertinent scale tipping parts of the article:

The committee went with Oklahoma at No. 5, putting the Sooners in a great position to move up into the final top four Sunday. It was the right decision for multiple reasons. The biggest is the worst-loss factor. No playoff-contending team should lose by 29 points to 6-6 Purdue (no offense, Boilermakers). The same argument holds this year as it did last year, when Ohio State was left out of the playoff in large part because of a 31-point loss to Iowa.

Yes, Ohio State has a better win than Oklahoma, and the way it crushed the rival Wolverines 62-39 impressed anybody who watched. But the committee also takes the long view when it comes to the entirety of a team's schedule to avoid the recency bias that comes with what happens in the days preceding the release of the rankings.

That is where the famous "eye test" comes into play. Before beating up on Michigan, Ohio State nearly lost to Maryland, a team that failed to reach bowl eligibility. It struggled against Nebraska, needing a second-half rally to put away another team that finished with a losing record. Over the final month of the season, more pundits questioned whether Urban Meyer had lost a grip on his team than whether this team was actually playoff-worthy.

As bad as the defense has been, the offense has been the opposite. Oklahoma leads the nation in scoring (50.3 points per game) and total offense (583.8 yards per game), and as last weekend's 59-56 win over West Virginia showed, the Sooners can win with offense. OK, maybe they showed that throughout the season.

Finally, let's just compare résumés. Oklahoma ranks No. 5 in ESPN's Football Power Index; Ohio State ranks No. 6. Oklahoma ranks No. 34 in strength of schedule; Ohio State ranks No. 48. Oklahoma has three top-25 wins; Ohio State has two. The only metric where Ohio State is ahead is in strength of record: The Buckeyes are No. 5, and the Sooners are No. 6.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: November 28, 2018, 10:08:04 AM »

The Big 10's Weak Sister Division could hurt them more than any other thing at this juncture of the evaluation period.(A severe lack of foresight on the Big 10's brass not to have Michigan St or Penn St(or both) in different Divisions than Michigan and OSU. So it will be incredibly tough for the Buckeyes to hop over the Sooners and the deck seems stacked against the Buckeyes. The Buckeyes IMO need a Longhorn victory. But as I always say, opinions vary. :-)
Foresight? They tried it your way. Most people in Big Whatever country do not have fond memories of the Leaders and Legends divisions.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: November 28, 2018, 11:24:08 AM »

The Big 10's Weak Sister Division could hurt them more than any other thing at this juncture of the evaluation period.(A severe lack of foresight on the Big 10's brass not to have Michigan St or Penn St(or both) in different Divisions than Michigan and OSU. So it will be incredibly tough for the Buckeyes to hop over the Sooners and the deck seems stacked against the Buckeyes. The Buckeyes IMO need a Longhorn victory. But as I always say, opinions vary. :-)
Foresight? They tried it your way. Most people in Big Whatever country do not have fond memories of the Leaders and Legends divisions.

Except that the Leaders and Legends divisions weren't aligned as I suggested above. So mentioning that also fiasco is non-sequitur other than it being of the same fiascoish nature as the current fiasco. Please re-read.

When they realigned they simply flubbed it a second time.

My suggestion was to have PSU and MSU in the same division lets call it the Twinkie Divison. And Michigan and OSU in the same division the Cupcake Division.

Twinkie Div:

PSU
MSU
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Rutgers
Maryland
Minnesota

Cupcake Div:

Michigan
Indiana
Illinois
Northwestern
Purdue
Iowa
OSU

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: November 28, 2018, 12:01:08 PM »

OLD-MAN WOODY
Seen as camera was panning around The Horseshoe during the Michigan game…..the names on the facing of the second deck—a kind of a ring of fame, as it were….There was the name Woody Hayes….it listed x-number of Big 10 titles (I forget how many) and five national titles…..Tends to kind of refocus Hayes legacy, does it not? You know, refocuses past the crazy old man running down the sidelines trying to punch a 250 pound Clemson linebacker who was fully outfitted in uniform (including helmet) and instead reminds one as to what is really important. Five national titles. Dabo—coach of the nuevo-elite, still working on number two. Currently only four national titles behind Woody.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:03:26 PM by Driver125 »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: November 28, 2018, 12:15:49 PM »

OLD-MAN WOODY
Seen as camera was panning around The Horseshoe during the Michigan game…..the names on the facing of the second deck—a kind of a ring of fame, as it were….There was the name Woody Hayes….it listed x-number of Big 10 titles (I forget how many) and five national titles…..Tends to kind of refocus Hayes legacy, does it not? You know, refocuses past the crazy old man running down the sidelines trying to punch a 250 pound Clemson linebacker who was fully outfitted in uniform (including helmet) and instead reminds one as to what is really important. Five national titles. Dabo—coach of the nuevo-elite, still working on number two. Currently only four national titles behind Woody.

Hayes was a helluva football coach.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: November 28, 2018, 01:12:07 PM »

As it turned out USC solved the problem.

Nice to get Bear's take on the Bowl Playoff question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCrg5-63GSY

I remember that Lou Holtz coached Razorback team. Helluva football team too.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: November 28, 2018, 01:25:31 PM »

Except that the Leaders and Legends divisions weren't aligned as I suggested above. So mentioning that also fiasco is non-sequitur other than it being of the same fiascoish nature as the current fiasco. Please re-read.

When they realigned they simply flubbed it a second time.

My suggestion was to have PSU and MSU in the same division lets call it the Twinkie Divison. And Michigan and OSU in the same division the Cupcake Division.

Twinkie Div:

PSU
MSU
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Rutgers
Maryland
Minnesota

Cupcake Div:

Michigan
Indiana
Illinois
Northwestern
Purdue
Iowa
OSU
I am pretty sure there have been years when a division with Nebraska, Wisconsin and Iowa presented a pretty strong counterbalance to the east. And will again. The South Atlantic League and God's Conference have both had a similar lack of balance in recent years. God's Conference had a three loss team in its Championship Game two years ago, and they were the only team in that division over 500 in the Conference. Unbalanced divisions are the rule. It is just this year, two Conferences have a noticeable absence of a top team. Next year, Wisconsin or Miami will make.the problem go away.

What are you going to do, constantly realign divisions to obtain balance? If you do not do that, natural ebb and flow will unbalance things again. Trying to realign divisions based on today ignores the future. It is a short term solution to a long term problem.

There are also other sports, and rivalries you are pissing on. There is a reason the Big Whatever was the only Conference to try non-geographical alignment, and ditched it quickly.

And Leaders and Legends were divided on the same principle you suggest, except they kept UM and MSU together, and OSU and PSU together. Although at the time that was done, Nebraska and.Wisconsin and Iowa were superior programs to us.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 01:28:42 PM by whiskeypriest »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: November 28, 2018, 02:05:48 PM »

Like I said opinions vary.

But I'll reiterate that there will be no need to realign every year under my format, and partly that you're predicting what will most likely never happen. The glory days for Nebraska are gone and likely to stay gone. Wisconsin has proven to be more often than not just a paper Tiger.(Although they've had one or of good years where they were as good as advertised) PSU is on the way back. Michigan St is still holding its own in the State of Michigan and not letting the Wolverines take back the state recruiting-wise and has one of the best head coaches in the business. Michigan however seems to be recruiting better Nationally and that may start to make more of a difference and gain them some separation from their little brothers.

But as I said, I doubt the Huskers will ever be more than a footnote in any future college football notations. Iowa, good coach, that does well with what he has. In my format, using simple statistics for the teams involved, it will be better balanced year in and year out for both divisions. Making the Twinkie Division stronger is a must, and my format is IMO the best way to achieve that. Had the Big 10 come to me first they would have been better off.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: November 28, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »

The Big Whatever already did precisely what you want the to do. Divided the traditional powers into two divisions. They rejected that formula.for the same reason God's Conference does not sort Alabama and Auburn and LSU into separate divisions just because Tennessee has hit a rough patch.

Paper tiger Wisconsin has won its last four bowl games, including two New Years 6 games.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 329