Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 264693 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #4440 on: December 14, 2021, 11:35:00 AM »

BOWL TIME

Friday, Dec. 17

Bahamas Bowl, Middle Tennessee vs. Toledo

Fourth place in the C USA East and Third in the MAC West gets you a vacation in the Bahamas. Some teams are born mediocre, some teams achieve mediocrity, and some teams have mediocrity thrust upon them. For these teams, like for Major Major Major, it is all three. And the reward for that is the Bahamas. Middle Tennessee State

Tailgreeter Cure Bowl, Northern Illinois vs. Coastal Carolina

Coastal has put together a pretty good team for a school that, when I used to visit my parents there, was known for its first rate golf course and hotel management program. NIU has Rocky Lombardi as its QB and Rocky Lombardi sucks on any level. Also, Tailgreeter sounds like the worst job in a brothel. Coastal Carolina

Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl, Mary Hardin Baylor, North Central Illinois

Technically, North Central is the reigning D III champion, having won the AAS Bowl in 2019 and no game having been played last year. However, how much respect can you have for a team that cannot even decide what part of Illinois they are from? It should be a good game if you can catch it on ESPNU. My sole decisive data point? Napierville is the home town of Payton Thorne and Jalen Reed. North Central

Saturday, Dec. 18

Boca Raton Bowl, Appalachian State vs. Western Kentucky

I think Bug Zappe has a big game.  WKU can score. App State has a good run game and that can be the best way to silence an explosive offense. Chase Brice is not awful and the WKU defense kind of is, so it should be high scoring and entertaining. Meaning it will probably be something like App State 14, WKU 3. Western Kentucky

Celebration Bowl, Jackson State, South Carolina State

Kudos to SCST for playing a couple of FBS teams, one of which was ClemSIN. Both played FAMU and as a data point, JSU beat them and SCST lost big. I really do not have much to go on except that. Jackson State

New Mexico Bowl, Fresno State vs. UTEP

On the basis of the regular 2021 season, this should be the FSU Raisins game to lose. But their starting quarterback is in the portal, [or not, I guess he rescinded] and their coach is a Huskie. So, if you are betting, that 13.5 spread is looking juicy. Straight up? Fresno still has the talent. Fresno State

Independence Bowl, BYU vs. UAB

Such is the fate of an Independent. BYU was 13 in the Committee polls and they get shunted off to Shreveport in mid December rather than, oh, the Outback Bowl. No wonder they are off to the Pore Prairie League. There is a big talent disparity here, so either BYU is ticked and takes it out on UAB, or BYU is disappointed and there is a chance, a small chance, that UAB will make a game of it. Either way, though. BYU

LendingTree Bowl, Eastern Michigan vs. Liberty

EMU versus Liberty?  I smell a very, very bad commercial on tap. The number of reasons to hate Liberty start with the bloated Hell mired corpse of Jerry Falwell, and have not improved with the hiring of Hugh Freeze. Yes, they have the first round draft choice (putatively) at QB in Malik Wills, and yes EMU could not stop a pee wee football team from running the ball, but I am not rewarding evil by picking Liberty. Emu

La Bowl, Oregon State vs. Utah State

I assume this is in French, right? Maybe played in Quebec? Anyway, I think the Beavers get licked and I never ever tire of that joke no matter you did not think it funny the first time what do you know from funny. And since the bowl is actually sponsored by Jimmy Kimmel, Not Funny is the operative phrase across the board. Utah State

New Orleans Bowl, Louisiana vs. Marshall

Louisiana is another school with a manumized head coach, but they were the better team over all this year, so I will still go with their talent. Marshall is sort of just a blah entry to the bowl season. Louisiana

Monday, Dec. 20

Myrtle Beach Bowl, Tulsa vs. Old Dominion

I do not really have anything, not even jokes, for this one. Tulsa

Tuesday, Dec. 21

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, Kent State vs. Wyoming

Kent likes to play hurry up, and NIU showed how a strong ball control team can thwart them. I was in Wyoming over the summer, bought a U of W polo shirt to add to my collection of University branded polo shirts from schools I have no connection with. That is good enough a data point for a pick I am otherwise pulling straight from my HamiltonSamuels. Wyoming

Frisco Bowl, San Diego State vs. UTSA

AKA the actual Frisco Bowl. SDSU was missing about a third of their team in their conference championship loss. I will assume most of them are back healthy, so I think full strength they are the better team. And yes I know who coaches them. San Diego State

Wednesday, Dec. 22

Armed Forces Bowl, Missouri vs. Army

Misery is another team that has not been able to stop the run. Army

Thursday, Dec. 23

Frisco Football Classic, Miami (Ohio) vs. North Texas

This game should not exist, as it did not before this month and will not after this month. It reminds me of the bowl of petunias, briefly called into existence by the uncloaked engaging of the Heart of Golds improbability drive whose only thought before crashing into Magrathea was
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 11:39:32 AM by Hairy Lime »
Sam: Those sons of bitches, they got him right through the neck.

Suzy: Was he a good dog?

Sam: Who's to say? But he didn't deserve to die.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: December 14, 2021, 11:42:18 AM »

Frisco Football Classic, Miami (Ohio) vs. North Texas

This game should not exist, as it did not before this month and will not after this month. It reminds me of the bowl of petunias, briefly called into existence by the uncloaked engaging of the Heart of Golds improbability drive whose only thought before crashing into Magrathea was Oh no, not again.  So, whatevs. Not the MAC team. North Texas State

Gasparilla Bowl, Florida vs. UCF

Well, Florida was a hot mess this year, other then scaring Alabama. My bet is UCF would love nothing more than to beat the Gators, and this may be their best chance. Central Florida

Friday, Dec. 24

Hawaii Bowl, Memphis vs. Hawaii

I always wonder if playing this game is wise for the visitors. How are you going to keep them in Memphis after they have seen Waikiki? Hawaii

Saturday, Dec. 25

Camellia Bowl, Ball State vs. Georgia State

Again, other than the even too obvious even for me Ball State jokes or David Letterman references, I got nothing. When in doubt, avoid the MAC. Georgia State

Monday, Dec. 27

Quick Lane Bowl, Western Michigan vs. Nevada

True Interesting Fact: sure, every FBS school in the state of Michigan made a bowl game, but at least the others got to leave town. (Well, to be fair, Kazoo is closer to Chicago than Detroit) Nevada has the pro prospect QB, so I will go there. To quote Jonathan Richman, Reno Reno Reno Honey, Reno Reno Reno. Nevada

Military Bowl, East Carolina vs. Boston College

No real sense of either team and I am getting lazy so Boston College

Tuesday, Dec. 28

Birmingham Bowl, Houston vs. Auburn

Really, as much as I dogged on Nix, and he deserved it, he at least had the ability to make plays. Some of which were good. I do not see much for the Auburn offense in its present incarnation. Score one for the Group of Six. Houston

First Responder Bowl, Air Force vs. Louisville

On one hand, AF has an offense that is hard to prepare for, but then Louvuhl has the time to prepare for it. Louisville

Liberty Bowl, Texas Tech vs. Mississippi State

AKA the Adam James Bowl. Somehow, I think that Old Miss State is going to have a fire lit under them for this one. Mississippi State

Holiday Bowl, NC State vs. UCLA

I originally had a Chip Kelly joke about Ducking out, but the opportunity for that has passed. I will go with UCLA and its superior ground game. UCLA

Guaranteed Rate Bowl, Minnesota vs. West Virginia

So the Gophers epitomized up and down. Beat Wisky, beat Purdue, lose to Illinois and Bowling Green. I am going with the like to Fleck up their opponents in big games and spend the down game in their PJs. Minnesota

Wednesday, Dec. 29

Fenway Bowl, Virginia vs. SMU

I suspect the Fenway Bowl deliberately chose to go up against the more established (as in, it has been played before) Pinstripe Bowl as part of the boring and interminable for everyone outside of a 200 mile corridor of I 84 baseball rivalry. I also suspect bowl organizers are going to miss out on the one thing that might make this game interesting, which is awarding an additional 10 points for anyone who can kick a field goal over the green monster. The Cavaliers play out for their departing coach. Virginia

Pinstripe Bowl, Virginia Tech vs. Maryland

An old school South Atlantic League rematch. My VTU booster friend Bill assures me that Fuente was the only thing standing between VTU and a return to football glory. Somehow I think there are deeper issues.  Anyway, here is one for our newly departed yankguy. Maryland

Cheez-It Bowl, Clemson vs. Iowa State

I think, back and September, it would have been only a mild surprise to see this as the Cotton Bowl, what with ISU an only sightly dark horse candidate for the Pure Prairie League Champ. Neither team lived up to its hype, and ClemSIN markedly so, although they still managed a nice 9 wins with a substandard offense because they had a stout defense. The DC is the Oklahoma coach in waiting now, though, and the OC is the Virginia coach, though the Worst Scrabble Draw Ever never seemed to progress this year. The opportunity is there for an upset. Iowa State

Alamo Bowl, Oregon vs. Oklahoma

And this could have been the Orange Bowl as recently as four weeks ago, before the Ducks got absolutely bitch slapped twice by the Utes and Oklahoma lost to OSU for the first time since back when the Republican party was a functional political party and not a cult of personality. Now both teams are on interim coaches. I was so hoping the rumors that Oregon wass going to go with joint coaches were true if only in the sense I hope every Indy 500 ends with a massive crash from which everyone walks away unharmed). Anyway, although the Heisman hype was way premature, Caleb Williams is an exciting talent, and he will be setting himself up for next year. Oklahoma

Thursday, Dec. 30

Duke's Mayo Bowl, North Carolina vs. South Carolina

Worst menu item ever. It is sort of amazing that UNC and South Carolina play so rarely. SoCar was a pretty run of the mill God apostrophe s conference team, but I am not picking UNC for anything, ever. South Carodamnlina

Music City Bowl, Tennessee vs. Purdue

Is Tennessee coming off an emotional win with title implications that saps it of the necessary energy? No? Well then. Tennessee

Peach Bowl, Michigan State vs. Pittsburgh

I will not lie. Given our pass defense this is a pretty bad match up for us. Granted the month off will help us get healthy, but even when we were healthy we got pretty shredded. There is, at this writing, the possibility that Pickett will not play in order to prepare for the draft, but I do not thing that will happen. Anyway the game matches us against former DC Pat Narduzzi, creator of the No Fly Zone (as opposed to the current No, Fly! Zone). Despite his defensive chops, the Pitt defense is not all that. I am hoping our ground game lead by Doak Walker winning, unfairly excluded from the Heisman ceremony III and our big play wide receivers can help us outscore the Panthers.  A high scoring game, but in the end

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: December 14, 2021, 11:43:58 AM »

Peach Bowl, Michigan State vs. Pittsburgh

I will not lie. Given our pass defense this is a pretty bad match up for us. Granted the month off will help us get healthy, but even when we were healthy we got pretty shredded. There is, at this writing, the possibility that Pickett will not play in order to prepare for the draft, but I do not thing that will happen. Anyway the game matches us against former DC Pat Narduzzi, creator of the No Fly Zone (as opposed to the current No, Fly! Zone). Despite his defensive chops, the Pitt defense is not all that. I am hoping our ground game lead by Doak Walker winning, unfairly excluded from the Heisman ceremony III Antjuan Simmons and our big play wide receivers can help us outscore the Panthers.  A high scoring game, but in the end,  Eventual 2022 2023 National Champion Michigan State

Las Vegas Bowl, Wisconsin vs. Arizona State

This is being played at 10:30 pm EST. So, I take it Larry Scott had a hand in scheduling this. The Minnesota game aside, Wisky rediscovered its run based energy in the last half of the year, and they have the defensive chops still. A trip up the future I 11 corridor to Vegas always ends badly for the folks from Phoenix. At least for me it seems to. Wisconsin

Friday, Dec. 31

Gator Bowl, Wake Forest vs. Texas A and M

I went to the Gator Bowl, sat two rows below the blimp. Andre Rison caught a 4th and goal TD pass. 4th and goal from MID FUCKING FIELD. With three people on him. We lost anyway. Good times. Woke had a good year, and has a lot of offensive talent, but still. Texas A and M

Sun Bowl, Washington State vs. Miami (FL)

Leaving aside Hawaii, is there a match up of two bowl teams that are more poles apart than these two?  Not only is the physical distance great, but I have been to both Pullman and Miami and those are NOT similar cities. Not that that matters. But I do think Miami has gotten better over the year. Miami

Arizona Bowl, Central Michigan vs. Boise State

According to my guide, this is going to be shown on Barstool Sports. WTF is Barstool Sports? If that is who is showing your game, cancel.  Central has CFB leading rusher Lew Nichols III, an efficient quarterback, and back in the 1950s my mom was forced to withdraw from Central due to poor grades she got because she partied too hard, a bit of knowledge that forever changed the way I looked at my mom. Central Michigan

Saturday, Jan. 1

Outback Bowl, Arkansas vs. Penn State

Other than losing to Illinois when Clifford was banged up, the Pennsylvania State University lost three very close games and one fairly close game to four very good teams. Arky likewise put a scare into two playoff teams. Not that I put a lot of stock into it, but the two teams did have a common opponent in Auburn who the Pennsylvania State beat, and Arkansas lost to. I think Penn State have a good enough defense to hold off the Razorback offense. the Pennsylvania State

Citrus Bowl, Iowa vs. Kentucky

Kentucky has a 9 to 22 turnover ratio, which does not bode well against an Iowa team that has lived off the turnover all year. Not that Iowa has anything like an offense that can scare KY, but I think their defense turns KY to jelly. Iowa

Fiesta Bowl, Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie vs. Oklahoma State

I blame Okie State for us being in the Peach Bowl, had they just taken care of business against Baylor we would have moved up one spot in the Committee rankings, and this would have been us, and I would have gone to the game and we would have been treated to a run up focusing on the 1966 game which I remember with a clarity that is amazing given I actually have no memory of the game at all but know they played for the tie in the same way I know transubstantiation is real and as much as I take the Okie State betrayal in the Pure Prairie League Championship game as a personal affront I am not picking OLotPT no how no way and I cannot believe my grammar check did not flag this as a run on sentence. Oklahoma State

Rose Bowl, the vs. Utah

The Sonic Utes played like a Bull in the Heather against the Ducks, two games of 100 Percent Shaking Hell. But can their defense handle the Scarlett and Silver Rockets that are the three the wide outs? Can they stop TreVeyon Henderson from drumming on them like Rain on Tin? Will their offense take a Sweet Shine to the gaps in the the defense? Do they have the Starpower to take this game? No. The will whip them like it is a Teenage Riot. The will handle them with Little Trouble, Girl.  The

Sugar Bowl, Baylor vs. Mississippi

Of all the NY 6 games, this is the one I really do not think much about. I am not sure why. I would like to pick against the God apostrophe s Conference, but I cannot, despite my habitual discounting of Missississippippi teams. Mississippi

Tuesday, Jan. 4

Texas Bowl, Kansas State vs. LSU

Why do they continue to play bowl games after New Years Day? Does anyone care, even their fans? I bet LSU does not. Kansas State

College Football National Championship Playoffs

Cotton Bowl Classic, Alabama vs. Cincinnati

Sure, Cincinnati is a great story, and Fickell has done a great job with them. They did what they had to do to get where they are, and they deserve it, but to borrow from Sesame Street, three of these things belong together, one of these things just does not belong. I would not pick my mother over a Nick Satan team with a month to prepare. I think the offensive fire power Alabama has is just too much. Defensively Alabama may let Cinci hang around for a while, but I do not think Cinci has the defense to stop Alabama.

Orange Bowl, Meatchicken vs. Georgia

So whenever a team takes a loss like Georgia did in the God apostrophe s Championship Game there is always the agonizing reappraisal of their season, and people start to question just how good that defense was. Georgia played in the God apostrophe s Conference West, the competition was not that tough, ClemSIN was an offensive train wreck and while they played some good teams Alabama was really the only great team they ran up against and what I think is Bull Shit. That was a great defense that lost to an elite offense that played a great game.  Georgia still has the defense we thought they had, especially against the run. Meat has a very strong run game, and a very good defense with elite edge rushers who can make Stetson Bennett IV wish law school had started. But in the end, I think that the Georgia defense will contain the Meatchicken running game and Meat does not have the passing game to carry them through. And I am absolutely sick that I picked two God apostrophe s Conference teams into the Championship game but that is how the cards fall. Georgia

Monday, Jan. 10

College Football Playoff National Championship
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 04:53:54 PM by Hairy Lime »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: December 14, 2021, 01:19:39 PM »

Still time to set up a Yahoo pool
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: December 14, 2021, 04:27:28 PM »

Go ahead.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: December 15, 2021, 10:11:48 AM »

I will just pick the games here daily - folks can join in if they like

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: December 15, 2021, 03:50:39 PM »

I will just pick the games here daily - folks can join in if they like

I'll take the opposite of whatever you pick.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: December 16, 2021, 03:47:22 PM »

Peachy!

Michigan State football RB Kenneth Walker III declares for NFL draft, will miss Peach Bowl

https://sports.yahoo.com/michigan-state-football-rb-kenneth-201809590.html
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: December 16, 2021, 04:38:17 PM »

No ACL injury there

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: December 16, 2021, 06:03:15 PM »

Peachy!

Michigan State football RB Kenneth Walker III declares for NFL draft, will miss Peach Bowl

https://sports.yahoo.com/michigan-state-football-rb-kenneth-201809590.html
Cannot blame him. It is his future.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: December 17, 2021, 04:04:40 PM »

Missed the first game today

12/17
(winner of wager listed first   *wins game if underdog picked))

6 PM   Coastal Carolina -12 vs Northern Illinois   

915 PM   North Dakota State -5  vs James Madison   
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 04:09:26 PM by kidcarter8 »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: December 18, 2021, 01:26:27 PM »

12/18

Jackson State  -10.5  S Carolina St

UTEP  +12  Fresno State

BYU  -6.5   UAB