Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 264523 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #2595 on: September 23, 2019, 03:08:32 PM »

Hairy is right about inter-conference scheduling.

...and...I think I just felt a disturbance in the space time continuum
I am still processing that comment.

Meanwhile, though I don't think he is a candidate for "Most Fired", could Harbaugh be on the "Most "Resigned"" list by year end?

As long as Harbaugh is running a clean program and graduating his Student-athletes, he will be at Michigan as long as he wants.  UM did not like the stain on its name brought about by the Basketball scandal and will do everything necessary to prevent a repeat.  Hard for some to understand but these top educational universities have more on their minds than winning at all
Costs.  Unless his players turn on him, He remains The Michigan Man.
Hence, Most Resigned rather than Most Fired.

Barring drastic improvement by the O Line, QB and defense, there is a real chance of a 6 or 7 win season with losses to huge rivals Michigan State, Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie, and a second straight utter hosing by THE. You may think the school has class, but boosters are boosters, and Methchicken boosters do not appreciate the Pinstripe Bowl.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: September 23, 2019, 04:30:16 PM »

A "National" Championship should, in my opinion, have some national representation.  Per Cap's argument, does that mean the loser of a SEC championship game could be left out of the playoffs?
Yes, IMO, because the playoffs should have a national representation, not a regional (SEC) one.
And let's be honest here,  the two-teams from the SEC scenario is the key question. Even if the
"Best" four teams are from the SEC, which could be true some years, the rest of the country deserves to have a chance to get beat on the field by the "better" teams.

Hairy is right about inter-conference scheduling. It could be arranged quite easily.  Following their NFL model, the NCAA could do the scheduling like the NFL does based on the preview season.
Schools will no longer be able to have their cupcakes and eat them,too, but will be given a diet
of healthy competition in their out of conference games.

Bottom line: the reshuffling of the conferences was a hatchet job and went completely a wry.
The playoffs are 100 times better than the BCS bullshit.  America is the land of opportunity, and in the college playoffs, that means wider representation for the "National" championship.

Opinions vary my old friend. And I would have little to zero issue with Power Five conferences playing each other. Other than it strangling the last life's breath out of the so-called lower tier conferences. They get a lot of their funding from those games playing the big boys. And I think those people who support those lower conferences would like to keep getting that funding. And by rights they sort of deserve it IMO, because they are really a large part what amateur college football is still about. What it was meant to be about. When they die or cease to have any relevancy at all the country will sadly lose something special. We'll lose the soul of college football, if we haven't already. And with the new Cali initiative what's to stop these lower conferences to start their own college pay for play leagues? A sort of college USFL and a buying war. But I suppose we can't shove the evil Jinn back in the bottle now.

But back to the subject.

I would have zero issue with Power Five conferences playing each other. Except IMO you're not going to get a whole lot more to evaluation gold from Alabama putting an asswhuppin on Kansas or Purdue. And you could potentially lose more possible great matchups in the postseason as the games are already played in season, and it blows up those great playoff postseason games before they happen. I prefer the mystery of the playoff games and Bowl games for the rest. So I am in favor of keeping the status quo as to OOC scheduling and simply expanding to either 6 or 8 teams.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: September 24, 2019, 12:32:14 PM »

Perusing the Massey Ratings today and I noticed he seems to disagree with me on the status of the Buckeyed defense.

I've got them in my Top 10 and he ranks them currently at #23.

Now it may be that his algorithm ties into his SOS somehow and thus doesn't give them stellar defensive grades simply due to the caliber offense they've played against. And that harkens back to my old argument about so-called computer rankings. All they can do is run numbers.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: September 24, 2019, 02:26:41 PM »

Michigan State 30, Indiana 3

We were not great against NU, but Eventual 2019 Heisman Trophy Winner Brian Lewerke was efficient enough to win.  I look for a repeat, using the tight end and getting the ball in Stewart’s hands.  Our defense really only allowed a late scoring drive featuring a lot of backups last week.  I think Bache will have a ball and the MSUD can stop IU’s offensive attack.   I would not count on the IUD stopping anything.  I really like that sentence.

the Pennsylvania State 35, Maryland 17

I think the bloom is off Maryland after an impressive start.  A loss to Temple can do that for you. After Pitt out Davided David last week, the close loss to the Fightin’ Nards looks better.

Arizona State 27, University of California* 21

They may be unbeaten, but I am still not a bearliever.  They are too mediocre in every aspect of their game.  I had them at 5-7 last week, I guess it is 6-6.  Arizona State has been inconsistent under Edwards, but I think they take care of the Friday game.

Texas A&M 52, Arkansas 10

Jesus, Arkansas sucks.  They are about to go the second straight year without a Conference win and last had a winning team when Sarah Palin was considered by some a viable political candidate.  They just lost to a MWC team that won one game in 2018. Granted, it is no longer 2018, but still.  That Hog/Old Missississippi game is going to be one for the ages.

Methchicken 24, Rutgers 17

Well, they ARE Rutgers.

ClemSIN 52, North Carolina 0

The bloom went off the Mack Brown rose damned quick, didn’t it. I am not sure why ClemSIN seems a little off offensively this year – which is kind of scary when you think about it – but they really have nine more games to get everything clicking.

Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie 24, Virginia 10

OLotPT did better defensively against Georgia than I thought they would, but except for a late scare, their best offensive drive was about 6 yards. I think they are out of the playoff picture unless multiple conference champs lose twice, but if they have any hope at all they need to be aware of let down games like this one.  Virginia has not been exactly dominant this year, so OLotPT should get by.

Washington 31, University of California* 21

I admit not having full information on the QB for the Trojans, but it looks like they might be starting their second second string quarterback.  Washington took down a BYU team that beat SC the week before.  I am not a fan of the transitive properties of wins, but I will go with that, plus the home field, this week.

* Southern

Utah 42, Washington State 35

The collapse on the Palouse was epic.

THE 42, Nebraska 10

The Scott Frost leads the Huskers to their former glory storyline looks like it will have to wait a year more. They needed an epic comeback to beat a pretty bad Illinois team.  Meanwhile, I see nothing in Nebraska to make me think they can stop Fields or Dobbins.  I may be a little behind cap in rating THE defense – those occasional lapses will get them eventually if they continue – but I would not be frightened too much of Nebraska’s offense.

Wisconsin 31, Northwestern 3

Northwestern could not score against OUR defense until garbage time.  Maybe Methchicken’s offense is just bad, but the defensive beat down Wisky has been putting on people all year has been impressive.  NU’s defense is reasonably stout, but Wisky should keep Taylor rolling.

Auburn 27, Old Missississippi State 20

Kind of want to pull the trap game upset lever – Auburn is between TAMU and Florida - but just cannot.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 02:29:18 PM by Hairy Lime »
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: September 26, 2019, 08:26:27 AM »

Top 25 picks

9/26

Memphis  -10.5  vs  Navy

9/27

Virginia Tech  -2.5  vs  Duke

Maryland  +6.5  vs  Penn State

Air Force  -19.5  vs  San Jose St

Wisconsin  -24.5  vs  Northwestern

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: September 26, 2019, 09:12:32 AM »

Top 25 picks

9/26

Memphis  -10.5  vs  Navy

9/27

Virginia Tech  -2.5  vs  Duke

Air Force  -19.5  vs  San Jose St

Wisconsin  -24.5  vs  Northwestern

Of the games that actually have a Top 25 team playing I'll take Penn St. And Northwestern. And now Cal.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 02:10:49 PM by CaptainCargo »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: September 26, 2019, 09:18:01 AM »

And would Methchicken have an interest in hiring Urban Meyer?
Makes more sense than Southern Cal.
But blood is thicker than water.
And Meyer’s is so Scarlet he would never entertain that choice.

Meyer is a mercenary.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: September 26, 2019, 10:07:49 AM »

Yeah - had a bad link....

Top 25

Friday  9/27

California  -4.5  vs  Arizona State

- WIS/Northwestern is Saturday and will be on that list.  So pick the Cal game if you wish.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 08:58:25 AM by kiidcarter8 »

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: September 26, 2019, 01:36:19 PM »

Washington 31, University of California* 21

I admit not having full information on the QB for the Trojans, but it looks like they might be starting their second second string quarterback.  Washington took down a BYU team that beat SC the week before.  I am not a fan of the transitive properties of wins, but I will go with that, plus the home field, this week.

* Southern

We are pretty close on this.  I had UW 34 USC 24.

It is our third string QB, btw.  Our 2nd string is still not cleared to play. If he is unavailable as a backup, we are looking at a walk on QB that converted to safety a year or two ago as the backup.

But our 3rd string QB is pretty good.  I think that may have hurt Utah actually since they prepared for Slovis and wound up with Fink. Fink is a running QB and so that may actually be handy against UW's three man front. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 01:38:06 PM by TrojanHorse »
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: September 26, 2019, 01:55:18 PM »

That was a Cardale Jones related dig at cap.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: September 26, 2019, 02:11:23 PM »

That was a Cardale Jones related dig at cap.

Cardale who?

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: September 26, 2019, 02:14:49 PM »

Meyer is a mercenary.
And allowed to transfer from one team to another, under any circumstances, without having to sit a year.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: September 26, 2019, 02:14:59 PM »

Michigan State 30, Indiana 3

First, hey it’s Indiana. Barring a letdown the Spartan defense will handle this. And offense, kick a damn FG willya?

Penn State 35, Maryland 17

We’re gonna kick some turtle ass.

Arizona State 20, Cal 29

Is the Zona State defense really good? Or, is the Michigan State offense really bad?

Texas A&M 52, Arkansas 10

Stevo said everything that needed to say in his first line, Arkansas sucks. 

Michigan 44, Rutgers 10

Sure, beat up some little kid just because you can’t beat your peers.

Clemson 34, North Carolina 12

This might even look close. For a while.

Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie 24, Virginia 17

Not sure how ND is going to come out in this game. Will they pout or pound?

Washington 31, USC* 21

Washington has improved every game. That’s what I expect out of a Chris Petersen coached team. He’s the Coach Carter of the PAC 12.

* University of California

Utah 38, Washington State 39

Really it beats me who wins this one. Does Utah have a good defense like I thought they would? It seems not but…

THE 42, Nebraska 9

Fields and Dobbins, Field and Stream, Fields and Croft, it doesn’t matter. Same old song. The Huskers won’t score. Well not nearly enough to win. Maybe not at all.

Wisconsin 31, Northwestern 3

I’m on the Wisconsin bandwagon.

Auburn 37, Miss State 13

Ole Miss St really misses their Ole Head coach.

Oklahoma 45, Texas Tech 26

The Sooners have one of the preeminent offenses in the nation, STOP. If you’re looking for a defense on their schedule that will contain them, STOP.

Alabama 39, Ole Miss 20

Saban has another mini meltdown when his second string defense doesn’t perform up to snuff. But, I understand why he gets bent out of shape. When or if the time comes for two SEC teams to be named, and he is not the SEC champ, people will once again look to winning margin and defensive PPG when it comes to the Tide. That’s how he gets in the voter’s heads. Well that and the fact that he and another guy have dominated the playoff’s thus far.

Florida 31, Towson 22

Trap game?

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: September 26, 2019, 02:16:35 PM »

Meyer is a mercenary.
And allowed to transfer from one team to another, under any circumstances, without having to sit a year.

Orange=Meyer Professional

Apple=College football player Amateur.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: September 26, 2019, 02:29:26 PM »

Meyer is a mercenary.

Orange=Meyer Professional

Apple=College football player Amateur.
Orange: Actual signed contract.
Apple. Not so much.

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 329