Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 264523 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #4245 on: October 11, 2021, 03:19:07 PM »

What in the name of Norm Snead and Brian Piccolo is going on?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: October 12, 2021, 09:13:31 AM »

Half way through the season: Michigan State, Kentucky and Woke Forrest are bowl eligible. Ohio State, Alabama and ClemSIN are not.

Wow. Think of the money that will be lost. This can't be.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: October 12, 2021, 12:01:11 PM »

What in the name of Norm Snead and Brian Piccolo is going on?
Other than Duke, none of their remaining games are cake walks. Army, UNC, NC State, BCU and ClemSIN.

Meanwhile, Alabama and the have the same path back to the playoffs: win out or go home. The same with Oklahoma,  although one loss could be survivable for them.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: October 12, 2021, 01:22:21 PM »

Cool trivia: who was the coach the last time Kentucky started the season 6 - 0?
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: October 12, 2021, 01:25:21 PM »

Has to be Bear Bryant
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: October 12, 2021, 01:54:49 PM »

Has to be Bear Bryant
It was the 1950 season.
Bryant and Kentucky ended the Oklahoma 31 game winning streak in the 1951 Sugar Bowl.
At the time it was the longest such streak in college footbal.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 01:57:44 PM by Espnthree »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: October 12, 2021, 02:01:10 PM »

Has to be Bear Bryant
71 years ago. You'd think blind chance would have it happen at least once since.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: October 13, 2021, 10:50:36 AM »

A lot of teams I would normally cover on byes. The, Meatchicken, Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie, the Pennsylvania State University, USC whose name I no longer feel like making fun of out of pity, and Maryland are all off this week.

EVENTUAL 2021-2022 NATIONAL CHAMPION MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY 35, Indiana 17

It is a game I worry about; granted, I would worry more with last year model of Pennix and receivers. This year, IU has not really scored against anyone, except WKU for whom defense is optional.  Our pass defense has not been that great all year, but I do think we are growing.  Looked very strong in the second half of the Rutgers game. We have been bend but do not break all year and the problem with that is eventually you break. I do not think this is the week for that, though. Offensively, we have been scoring on big plays all year. I think the IU D will be unable to stop our mighty seeds steeds. Between Eventual 2021 Heisman Trophy Winner III, Reed and Nailor we have I think the second best roster of skill players in the Big However Many behind the. Keep the safeties back to stop Reed and Nailor, III will gash you. Sneak them forward to stop III and both Reed and Nailor can take the top off. I think we can tear the IU D to shreds.

Cincinnati 35, Central Florida 14

To make the playoffs, I really think that Cinci needs help. I do not care where they are in the polls; the playoffs are a different matter.  I think they need a combination of two of Iowa and Georgia to win their conferences and Oklahoma to lose twice. A one loss conference champion from those conferences gets in, and a one loss runner up, say Iowa or Georgia, would get in ahead of Cincinnati. Yes, it would be helpful for them if OLotPT or Indiana keeps or starts winning, but really they needed teams like UCF to present a challenge in conference to build strength of schedule.

Oregon 27, University of California* 10

See, here is the issue with the Ducks. If the gets in and they do not there will be a lot of pundit wailing and gnashing of teeth and fun times with the haters on this forum, but the committee has its rules and processes and they follow them. Head to head, like being a conference champion, only matters if teams are judged by the Committee to be substantially equal. Other than that, it is just a quality win for one team and a quality loss for the other.  Yes, they beat the, but a one loss Big However Many Champ the will not only have a better, for lack of a good term and the ability to cut and paste quote marks, loss, they will have wins over four teams currently in the Top 10. Oregon will have a worse loss and in all likelihood only one win over a Top 15 team. Alabama losing does bring them more solidly into the playoff picture, though, since the committee to date has never elevated a two loss Power 5 school over a one loss Power 5 team with a solid record. I would still question whether even as a Conference Champion they would get in over a one loss God apostrophe s Conference runner up in Georgia, so they should be rooting for Iowa and Georgia.

Arkansas 27, Auburn 13

Boy, If I was an Auburn fan Nix would make me tear my hair out. I have not seen so frustrating a college QB in years, not even that kid who played QB for Oregon a couple years ago who never played to the level of his tools and I am certain will flame out in the pros. I forget his name. Bobby Hebert, or something ellipses omitted.

Florida 28, the Louisiana State University 13

Well, Ogeron had one great year. No one can take that away from him. Well, the NCAA can, sure, but there is nothing I am aware of on the horizon.

Texas 41, Oklahoma State 38

I keep forgetting Okie State is also unbeaten.  I suppose I should factor them in my calculations for the playoffs, like Woke Forest or if I am being honest with myself Michigan State and I am not ever being honest with myself on the score deal with it, but like Woke Forest I do not see them finishing up unbeaten. Texas
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 11:00:53 AM by Hairy Lime »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: October 13, 2021, 10:53:22 AM »

Texas fuck s collapse last week was painful.

Oklahoma 42, Texas Christian University 28

I wonder where Rattler will transfer to in the portal.  The Heisman Winning First Round Draft pick hype train for him was a pretty sort one, no? U of A is looking for, well anyone who knows how to play the sport but their QB got hurt. He is a Phoenix kid, maybe some near to home cooking would help.

Georgia 27, Kentucky 10

The last time Kentucky won its first 7 games was also in 1950.  The next time is not in the foreseeable future. Georgia is the best defense in the country. And while I remain skeptical of the old adage that defense wins championships and think it is especially nonsense in this day and age, a great defense and a real good offense sure the hell can win a championship.

Iowa 27, Purdue 24

Fun fact: Jeff Brohm is 3 and 1 against Iowa while at Purdue.  Fun fact the second, he is about to be 3 and 2. Actually, this could well be a trap game for Iowa, coming off the emotional win over the Pennsylvania State University and Purducken coming off a bye week. I have it as a close call for them, of their remaining games it seems like the one most fraught with peril for Iowa. Until losing to the Big However Many East champ, that is.

ClemSIN 20, Syracuse 17

ClemSIN cannot be so bad, and fallen so far, as to lose to Syracuse. Can they? Personally, I think it is all a plot to keep their OC from going to LSU or USC next year.

Utah 27, Arizona State 21

Arizona States only loss this year has been when they ventured up to the SLC area. They are going there again.  I just do not think they are good enough to go through the rest of the non-Oregon section of their year unscathed.

Tennessee 37, Old Mississippi 27

This is the only game between teams with three runs of double letters in their name, outside of the Egg Bowl. That counts for something. Doesn

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: October 13, 2021, 10:55:04 AM »

Doe snot it?  Anyway, despite being beaten be a sneaky good Pitt and pantsed by Florida, Tennessee has been pretty good ever since they brought in that Hooker. Kiffin is rumored to have an interest in the LSU job.

NorthCarolina State 31, Boston College 17

Technically a one loss BC should be in the running for the South Atlantic League Not Any Good Division and technically both halves of the South Atlantic League are Not Any Good Divisions this year. But they have beaten two of the worst BCS teams, the worst God apostrophe s Conference team, and a tube of toothpaste.

Pittsubirgh 35, Virginia Tech 17

VTU helped keep Cinci playoff dreams alive last week. I have not seen Pickett charging** into the Heisman conversation, but he is putting up some impressive numbers for the Fightin Nards.

** Yes I am repeating that joke and I intend to run it into the damned ground. Do you really expect better from me?

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: October 14, 2021, 01:01:00 AM »

Posterity.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: October 14, 2021, 07:34:04 AM »

Discuss the state of College Football.

Is that state Alabama or Florida? Texas?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: October 16, 2021, 11:26:35 AM »

"Cincinnati keeps getting a lot of love from the voters.
Wonder if the Committee will feel the same way."

I doubt they will be ranked ahead of any undefeated SEC or Big Ten team, but there will probably only be one SEC and maybe two B10 when the poll comes out. They need ND to keep winning if they have any hope at all IMO. If Kentucky sneaks up and beats Georgia...or if Oklahoma gets bumped off.

The Mich/MSU game is starting to loom large in that respect too AND Iowa doesn't have to play either of them OR the Buckeyed.

Bottomline I just don't think Cincy has the scheduling to pull off a berth, but shit happens.
Well, one team from God's Conference is a point in their favor. Georgia winning the championship game likely knocks a twice beaten Alabama out.

Now is when we see if Saban's defense is really that bad or if they've been doggin their prep.

What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: October 16, 2021, 01:27:57 PM »

Where the hell did this LSU offense come from? Defense looking good too.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: October 16, 2021, 01:29:27 PM »

Hoosiers hangin tough
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 329