Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 2726

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 502021 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #4800 on: April 05, 2021, 05:20:43 AM »

"Global temps drop below 100 yr average."

Well there you go.
No 1 radio host is correct...."the great carbon hoax".
Go woke, go broke.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: April 05, 2021, 05:31:39 AM »

Well there you go.

And this is why I have you on ignore.

A quote offered without a source and not findable with a search using "yr" or "year."

Even if it were true for a given month of a year, it still would not mean what you infer from it, but you don't care about either truth or how science works. You just want to spew your bullshit.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: April 05, 2021, 06:10:28 AM »

Well there you go.

A quote offered without a source and not findable with a search using "yr" or "year."

Even if it were true for a given month of a year, it still would not mean what you infer from it, but you don't care about either truth or how science works. You just want to spew your bullshit.

It was on my Sky News tv screen tonite.
Cory Bernardi and Prof Ian Plimer said so, and showed the proof....graph.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 06:38:05 AM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: April 05, 2021, 07:38:25 AM »

Well there you go.

It was on my Sky News tv screen tonite.
Cory Bernardi and Prof Ian Plimer said so, and showed the proof....graph.
Instead of my usual "Bambu should just stay in his basement" response, once in awhile some of the silliness he posts here on a daily basis requires a bit of a response. 

1) "Prof Ian Plimer" is a geologist and appears to have no more expertise in climatology and statistical interpretation than Bambu himself.  I have no idea what training No. 1 radio host has other than to note that being a No. 1 Radio host doesn't make him any more of an expert in these fields than Bambu himself.
2) A one or two year statistical anomaly has no relevance to long-term trends
3) Just stay in your basement (I couldn't help myself).

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 08:04:02 AM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: April 05, 2021, 08:50:34 AM »

A little context should be applied to Larry's constant reference to America's love affair with MLK Jr in 1967.

We had race riots in in the 1964-1967, in particular in NYC in 1964, LA (Watts-1965), Newark and Detroit in 1967.  As the most visible black leader and symbol for racial equality, and integration in a turbulent America MLK Jr. was clearly a target for a lot of anger and resentment from a lot of frightened white Americans. And Black Americans, who were also alarmed by the social changes taking place.

IIRC (from Larry's original polling data, which Larry forgot to post) that around 45-50% of African-Americans also had a negative view of MLK Jr.

BTW, in addition to fighting for racial equality MLK was also an early and vocal critic of the war in Vet Nam.

https://time.com/5042070/donald-trump-martin-luther-king-mlk/

A Harris Poll taken during King’s final year revealed that nearly three-quarters of the American people thought he was persona non grata, and almost 60% of his own people, black Americans, thought he was irrelevant.

In the last year of King’s life, he had fallen off from the ranks of the most-admired Americans. He was disinvited to the White House, forsaken by friends who had fortified him, abandoned by supporters who had sustained his work and witness, and dismissed by a media that had championed his cause.

King had a deep and abiding love for his own people, but many turned against him in the last year of his life. The scorn of being unwelcome to preach in black churches was particularly painful. King was being ridiculed by black elites like Roy Wilkins, Whitney Young, Adam Clayton Powell, Ralph Bunche and even Thurgood Marshall. And for everyday black folk, and for the youth in particular, King’s message of nonviolence was falling on deaf ears. They wanted Black Power.

Sometimes the truth is so subversive and unsettling that people can’t handle it in real time. The terrain of history is dotted with prophetic truthtellers who we came to appreciate much too late. King’s vehement opposition to the war in Vietnam cost him dearly. We now know that King wasn’t so much alone as he was early. And he was right. Indeed, the last year of King’s life is a cautionary tale about what happens to a society that ignores its truthtellers — on racism, poverty, militarism, patriarchy, environmental degradation, white supremacy

Context and facts matter.

Well... that escalated quickly.

Oh? So, you're not a big fan of context and facts? Well, who would've guessed that to be the case?

heh
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: April 05, 2021, 08:51:51 AM »

Loved or hated, King was right about most everything and still is.

Was he?

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: April 05, 2021, 08:53:07 AM »

Well there you go.

Funny way to ignore someone.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: April 05, 2021, 09:41:28 AM »

Loved or hated, King was right about most everything and still is.

Was he?

They dont know
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

barton

« Reply #4809 on: April 05, 2021, 09:43:07 AM »

Would depend on the depiction,  wouldn't it?   

You dont know.   We get it.

Projection.

barton

« Reply #4810 on: April 05, 2021, 09:50:08 AM »

https://www.federationforchildren.org/support-for-school-choice-surges-as-schools-start/

ALEC affiliated right-wing organization.  Please don't use disinformation sources from special interest groups run by billionaires to determine what poor people want.   

barton

« Reply #4811 on: April 05, 2021, 09:52:07 AM »

Well there you go.

False.   Try IPCC for accurate scientific data.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: April 05, 2021, 10:21:21 AM »

https://www.federationforchildren.org/support-for-school-choice-surges-as-schools-start/

ALEC affiliated right-wing organization.  Please don't use disinformation sources from special interest groups run by billionaires to determine what poor people want.   
LOL!

The U.S. Census Bureau reported in late March that 11.1 percent of K-12 students in the nation are now homeschooling, a significant jump from 5.4 percent when school closures went into effect in spring of 2020, and from the 3.3 percent of families who homeschooled prior to the coronavirus pandemic.
“The global COVID-19 pandemic has sparked new interest in homeschooling and the appeal of alternative school arrangements has suddenly exploded,” wrote Casey Eggleston and Jason Fields for the Census Bureau, which gathered data for an “experimental” Household Pulse Survey that measured the “social and economic impacts during the coronavirus pandemic.”

In November, Education Week also reported more than doubling of the homeschool population in the United States, with 58 percent of principals and superintendents naming homeschooling as being “a major contributor to enrollment declines caused by COVID-19—more than any other single reason.”
Of particular note in the Census Bureau data is that homeschooling rates are surging among black families, in which the proportion homeschooling increased from 3.3 percent in spring 2020 to 16.1 percent in fall 2020.

Pick and choose all you want.
If you don’t understand what’s going on in k-12 education then your not paying attention to facts.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 10:38:37 AM by REDSTATEWARD »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: April 05, 2021, 10:21:48 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/05/health/us-coronavirus-monday/index.html

Children seem to be catching one of the new variants of COVID-19, such that one researcher commented that it almost might as well be a new virus.

I think that if the vaccine works on it, then I wouldn't phrase it quite that strongly, but that's unclear at this point. No reports that it doesn't, though.

Still, a variant that primarily impacts younger people (adults as well as children) has the potential to catch us with our focus on the older folks. It's great that we're averaging 3 million shots a day of the vaccine, but we still have a ways to go.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: April 05, 2021, 10:36:25 AM »

Below is my post from Feb 14.

The current projection still has us crossing 600,000 dead just before June 1, which seems right given the current decline in deaths we've seen, even in the last week, though it has slowed down. The increased cases plus the seeming greater mortality from one of the new variants gives me pause, but I doubt that we will see a significant bump in deaths (though still significant to those who die and those who have to deal with the deaths). Very unlikely that we would pass that number by May 1.

It remains a relief to see how steeply deaths have fallen, with our having been under 1,000 per day on average for weeks, now. That's still way to many, yet so much better than it was.

Good news, then sobering news:

The number of daily new cases and daily deaths continue to drop. We're seeing the drop globally, too. Deaths are now back to pre-Christmas levels. And we've had new cases down below 100,000 on a couple occasions.

OTOH, on Monday or early Tuesday we will pass 500,000 dead from COVID-19, at a minimum (despite what liars like Ward say). And even with the reduced rate of deaths and assuming no uptick, we expect another 100,000 dead by June 1. (If it takes that long, I will consider us fortunate. I think we are more likely to cross the 600,000 level more than a month before that - but it beats our getting there by April 1, which was the trajectory we had been on!

I am very glad that the dip projected by folks like IHME, delayed though it was, has come to pass and that I was wrong about its happening at all if right that it wasn't in the cards at that time. May I be wrong on the continued rate, as well.
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 2726