Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 263016 times)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #1350 on: December 02, 2018, 06:34:43 PM »

looks like Georgia got style points for yesterday's loss
5/6 is irrelevant. The Committee continues to punish that second loss. And take God's Conference at its own self image.

its irrelevant as to 1-4

I thought they would punish Ga's 2nd loss by putting them at 6.

But they saw what most watching that game saw, arguably a top 4 team that probably should have won that game, and put them ahead of tOSU.

so they gave them style points for yesterday's loss.

but they also put a 2-loss team ahead of a 1-loss Power-5 conf champ.

I'll leave it to CFB historians and others whether that shifts the landscape for future debates.
Not to get in the playoffs.

5/6 changes nothing. They would go to the same bowl regardless.

The battle for the fourth spot was explained by CFP Chairman Rob Mullens   to ESPN:

In the end, what we decided was amongst the group of three, Oklahoma, Georgia and (12-1) Ohio State, that no one was unequivocally better than the others. So we leaned on the protocol.
(That protocol  says that when teams are that close, certain factors should take precedence, the most notable of those being “conference champions.)

“In this instance, when one team wasn’t unequivocally better than the other, we went to the protocol, and on this one, the one-loss conference champion carried the day,”

The Conference Champion got rewarded just as the system has been designed to do.

And since OSU is behind Georgia there is a good chance that Georgia was thought to be the better team of all three. And only a 'technicality' kept them out. One way or the other.

But I suppose it's better for the Conferences this way and thus the somewhat arbitrary 'rule'. Or convenient may be a better definition.
Just as the "technicality" of tOSU getting smoked by tPurdue kept them out and the technicality of tPSU losing to every good team they played kept kept them out. If you consider losing twice,  not being a conference champion and gacking up a huge lead in your most important game a technicality, so be it. Second losses are poison.

First, this isn't 1978. In this day and age 14 points isn't an insurmountable lead by any means. And the Purdue loss goes to bostler my QL data point at the other end of the scale.

I'm simply saying the fact that the Committee placed 2 loss Georgia ahead of one loss OSU is interesting. And an extropolation can therefore be put forward.

My theory that without the Conference Champion "rule" Georgia could well be in the Football four has merit. Anyone with an ounce of objectivity(and didn't want to duspute everything I say including water is wet)would have to say the idea has merit. Ease off the trigger Bro, it's just ideas.
Why is rule in quotes? It is not a technicality, it is a design feature.

A technical design feature.

If I had my way it would be limited to conference champs. The committee deciding based on their actual protocols rather than my ideas does not make it a
technicality. Anyway, for the fifth year in a row the Committee did a good, consistent job of putting the right teams in the playoffs.

And if I had my way there would be different design technicalities.

But I agree with you that the Committee has done a good job so far. I'm not so solid on the consistant part but a good job. It's never going to make everyone happy.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 07:10:23 PM by CaptainCargo »
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: December 02, 2018, 06:51:09 PM »

My theory that without the Conference Champion "rule" Georgia could well be in the Football four has merit.
Well, it is the rule as the Committee reinforced today. Please take note of this for future reference.

To aid you in your msunderstanding they didn't reinforce anything.
Oh, but the Committee did.

The  protocol  that says that when teams are close, certain factors will take precedence, the most notable of those being “conference champions

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: December 02, 2018, 07:08:09 PM »

My theory that without the Conference Champion "rule" Georgia could well be in the Football four has merit.
Well, it is the rule as the Committee reinforced today. Please take note of this for future reference.

The  protocol  that says that when teams are close, certain factors will take precedence, the most notable of those being “conference champions

Okay if it makes you happy we'll use the word reinforce instead of saying taking their pre-designated out. See, I can compromise. :-)

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: December 02, 2018, 07:25:46 PM »

Okay if it makes you happy we'll use the word reinforce instead of saying taking their pre-designated out. See, I can compromise. :-)
“ pre-designated out” of what?
Georgia did not qualify for the playoff
Period.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: December 02, 2018, 07:36:47 PM »

“ pre-designated out” of what?
Georgia did not qualify for the playoff
Period.

Easy Skip, don't come unglued.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: December 02, 2018, 07:49:22 PM »

I mean don't blame me for seeing reality. The Committee thought the three teams had no significant differences. Had they ranked Georgia lower than OSU the whole thing would have been cut and dried.

But.

The fact that they didn't means there is a real possibility that had there been no CG technicality rule Georgia might be in the football four. This is simple 101 logic. Why this makes everyone crazy I can only assume is because I said it. Had the thought been broached by YG or Rich I don't believe there would be such a ruckus over it.

But then I am the Reggie Jackson of the forum I suppose. The straw that stirs the drink. What would you guys do without me. ;-)

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: December 02, 2018, 08:16:14 PM »

I mean don't blame me for seeing reality. The Committee thought the three teams had no significant differences. Had they ranked Georgia lower than OSU the whole thing would have been cut and dried.

But.

The fact that they didn't means there is a real possibility that had there been no CG technicality rule Georgia might be in the football four.
Well, no.  Georgia was dropped as a 2 loss non-champion.  Disqualified from consideration by rule.  Please make note of this(again) in case it comes up again.  Had Oklahoma had two losses Georgia would have lost out to one-loss Big Ten Champ Ohio State.

Enjoy the Citrus Bowl. Orlando is a lot of fun.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: December 02, 2018, 08:29:01 PM »

Don't worry. I never would have broached the idea that this Georgia team deserved to be in the playoffs.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: December 02, 2018, 09:21:44 PM »

We dodged the Pinstripe Bowl! Wish I had the time to head out.to Santa Clara.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: December 02, 2018, 10:58:57 PM »

Your 2018 Bowl Schedule.  I plan on opening a pool in Yahoo as soon after it lets me.

December 15

Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl
North Carolina A&T vs. Alcorn State

New Mexico Bowl
North Texas vs. Utah State

AutoNation Cure Bowl
Tulane vs. Louisiana

Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl
Fresno State vs. Arizona State

Raycom Media Camellia Bowl
Georgia Southern vs. Eastern Michigan

R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl
Middle Tennessee vs Appalachian State

December 18

Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl
UAB vs. Northern Illinois

December 19

DXL Frisco Bowl
San Diego State vs. Ohio

December 20

Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl
Marshall vs. South Florida

Makers Wanted Bahamas Bowl
FIU vs. Toledo

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
Western Michigan vs. BYU

December 22

Jared Birmingham Bowl
Memphis vs. Wake Forest

Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl
Houston vs. Army

Dollar General Bowl
Buffalo vs. Troy

SoFi Hawai'i Bowl
Louisiana Tech vs. Hawaii

December 26

SERVPRO First Responder Bowl
Boston College vs. Boise State

Quick Lane Bowl
Minnesota vs. Georgia Tech

Cheez-It Bowl
California vs. TCU

December 27

Walk-On's Independence Bowl
Temple vs. Duke

New Era Pinstripe Bowl
Miami vs. Wisconsin

Academy Sports + Outdoors Texas Bowl
Baylor vs. Vanderbilt

December 28

Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl
Purdue vs. Auburn

Camping World Bowl
West Virginia vs. Syracuse

Valero Alamo Bowl
Iowa State vs. Washington State

December 29

Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl
No. 10 Florida vs. No. 7 Michigan

Belk Bowl
South Carolina vs. Virginia

NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl
Arkansas State vs. Nevada

College Football Playoff Semifinal at the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic
No. 2 Clemson vs. No. 3 Notre Dame

College Football Playoff Semifinal at the Capital One Orange Bowl
No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 4 Oklahoma

December 31

Military Bowl Presented by Northrop Grumman
Cincinnati vs. Virginia Tech

Hyundai Sun Bowl
Stanford vs. Pittsburgh

Redbox Bowl
Michigan State vs. Oregon

AutoZone Liberty Bowl
Missouri vs. Oklahoma State

San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl
Northwestern vs. Utah

TaxSlayer Gator Bowl
NC State vs. Texas A&M

January 1

Outback Bowl
Mississippi State vs. Iowa

VRBO Citrus Bowl
Kentucky vs. Penn State

PlayStation Fiesta Bowl
No. 11 LSU vs. No. 8 UCF

Rose Bowl Game Presented by Northwestern Mutual
No. 9 Washington vs. No. 6 Ohio State

Allstate Sugar Bowl
No. 15 Texas vs. No. 5 Georgia

January 7

College Football Playoff National Championship Presented By AT&T

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: December 02, 2018, 11:06:53 PM »

And allow me to be the first to congratulate Florida on their Peach Bowl win.

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: December 02, 2018, 11:07:34 PM »

But.

The fact that they didn't means there is a real possibility that had there been no CG technicality rule Georgia might be in the football four. This is simple 101 logic. Why this makes everyone crazy I can only assume is because I said it. Had the thought been broached by YG or Rich I don't believe there would be such a ruckus over it.

But then I am the Reggie Jackson of the forum I suppose. The straw that stirs the drink. What would you guys do without me. ;-)

I’m the guy who takes the straw out of the drink, shakes the fucking drink stirrer and drinks the fucking drink of this forum, Reggie...

Remember I said that, you don’t tune in for Archie and Edith cutting it up, bitches, you run the dial for Meathead...

For the clever sh!t...otherwise this is the Punch and Judy show with a couple of tosu marionettes, troj, and a regional bigot...

You are dismissed.

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: December 02, 2018, 11:21:03 PM »

So sensitive

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: December 03, 2018, 12:48:16 AM »

But.

"Yourself" being one of the two things you are full of.

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: December 03, 2018, 12:52:09 AM »

And allow me to be the first to congratulate Florida on their Peach Bowl win.

The playoff format has rendered that game and others meaningless.

But have at it.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 329