Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 262073 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #4560 on: August 29, 2022, 02:25:40 PM »

Great. Elipses too?

The South Atlantic League

Who? I know there should be at least one other Sally team that wins double digits but I do not see any other team that could make the Top 10, let alone the playoffs.

Meatchicken

Well, they got past the The hump last year, for the first time since Luke Fickell coached The, and made the playoffs. Sure, they got shut down by Georgia, but who the hell did not? But this year? The two huge disrupters they had on the D Line have gone on to the pros, and they took most of the defensive line pressure with them. The offense was pretty steady but unspectacular last year, and will be again this year, though they continue to have the LSU problem, which is, how can a team that recruits this well continue to not find The Guy to be quarterback? It has been their weak point offensively for quite a while. It is not like Mcs cannot play, but that neither has seized control of the team is a bad sign since as they say if you have two quarterbacks you have no quarterbacks. Anyway, they certainly have the potential, particularly given the Wisconsin level OOC they have this year, to make another run at the playoffs. I think The is on a different plane this year (and pissed) and I discount a second place Increasingly Inaccurately Named Big Ten East team for the same reason I do it for the God apostrophe s Conference teams.

The Pennsylvania State University

PSU went PU at the end of last year, 2 and 6 over the last 8 games. And the one really dynamic offensive player they had, Jahan Nissan, is gone. Sure they had a stout defense, but they have a poor, bland offense and I see no reason to think they will find the spark that will allow them to be an elite team. You probably are unaware that I am a fan of one of the other Increasingly Inaccurately Named Big Ten East teams since I strive for total objectivity, and as a fan of another IINBT West team I can say I do not fear Penn State. I think they are the fourth best team in the Increasingly Inaccurately Names Big Ten East.

Increasingly Inaccurately Named Big Ten West

Normally I have one of the IINBTW teams in my Top 10, but since I am looking at potential playoff teams instead of a Top 10 this year let me just say, I do not see it. It is not that the West half is bad, but there just does not seem to be a team that can elevate.

Maryland

I always try to include every team the members of this forum are directly connected to in my write ups. And I still consider the mostly absent yankguy a member of this forum. Which is the only reason I include the Strive for Six Wins Turtles here. They should pass the ball as well as any Increasingly Inaccurately Named Big Ten team outside of Columbus, but they have no run game and nowhere near enough defense to be anything other than a low level, win the last game against Rutgers to make 6 wins at best. At best.

Utah

The biggest problem for Utah is that the PAWCP is so poorly regarded that they have no real margin for error. One early season loss and it is difficult to see how they can make up for it later in the season. And they start the season at Florida, and so could well be out of the picture in practical terms by September 4. Anyway, they return a lot of talent on offense, including their Rising quarterback, some studs on the line and a running back who has not died. Yet. Defensively, they got shredded at the start of the season, and by The and need to replace a few key players. I like them to win the PAWCP, but just do not trust them in the playoff picture.

University of California *

The end of the Helton era got ugly ugly ugly. Ugly like a public restroom at Mar A Lago. I expect Lincoln to emancipate them from the shackles of the pointless decision to keep Helton on but I also think it will take time.  Except Michigan State showed how quick a team can turn around in the modern version of the CFB through the judicious and lucky use of the transfer portal, and boy did USC try to do that. Caleb Williams had a Heisman bandwagon rolling for a few games last year for a reason, even if he faded near the end of the year. He gives the Trojenz a unique player to center their offense around, and the addition of last years best WR (well, no, but Jordan Addison did win the Biletnikoff Award), plus a couple good backs means the offense should be dynamic. But that was a really bad defense last year, and I do not think stealing Grinch is enough to fix it over night.

Oregon

True interesting fact: except for 2019, the Ducks have lost at least one game to a team with a losing record every year since 2015. Dan Lanning was a very off brand hire for them. They have made their bones by offense and it is the offense I worry about this year. Their leading rusher NILed out south, and to quarterback the team they brought in is Bo Nix. Which guarantees two things: a couple games where they pull the game out thanks to a superhuman play, and a couple games where he just flat out sucks. It is a trade off, but it is a trade off a PAWCP team cannot afford if they want to make the final four.

Texas

Yeah, no. They have been labelled as back before and have not been. Not until they prove otherwise. Also, their top 2 quarterback candidates are Quinn Ewers and Hudson Card, and I refuse to support a team that just makes up names like that.

Oklahoma

Well, a defensive coach? That is a new look for the Sooners.  There is always a lot of talent in Oklahoma, but their top 2 QBs portalled and they brought in a decent starter from a second tier school. Their O Line was mediocre last year and while they should be better they are still a question. Defensively, they lost some good talent on the D line (I hope, Cleveland drafted a couple of them) and overall, the defense had issues. Venable is an experienced defensive coordinator, so he should help in the long run, but I am only concerned about this year. And I mean concerned in a couple of ways.

Baylor

They lost almost all of their skill position players from offense last year, but that includes the QB who was beaten out by a new guy. Still, they need to have new players step up at WR and RB to be in the playoff picture even with a very good line, and that is too much of a gamble for me. They need to replace some people in the back end of their defense as well.

Cincinnati and The Group of Six

It was nice to see a couple of new teams in the playoffs last year (yes, them too) even if they were little more than speed bumps on the road to the God apostrophe s Conference Title Game II. But Cinci in particular lost an absolute shit ton of quality players on both sides of the ball. I know Fickell can recruit and coach, but Cinci is not Alabama. I expect a regression. As for the rest of the non-power conferences, I know that a team will surprise me and win 11 or so regular season games, but something like Cincis run last year? I do not see it.

So who is my last playoff team?

I am going to take Utah to beat Florida Saturday, so I will go with them. I recognize the high probability of this being considered Most Wrong.very, very early on.

* Southern
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 02:33:21 PM by Hairy Lime »
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: August 29, 2022, 05:47:06 PM »

Anybody laughing at the Big Ten Network now?

Me. Not paying for it. Been watching the SEC network though since its inception, at no extra charge. Same for the ACC Network.

Don't get me wrong I would have loved to see those BIG games for the last few years. But, just like the PAC, I wasn't paying extra for them.
I have had it free on every system i have ever had. Even here. It is premium where you live?
Cargo never disappoints. Still dumb as a rock.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: August 29, 2022, 07:02:08 PM »

Me. Not paying for it. Been watching the SEC network though since its inception, at no extra charge. Same for the ACC Network.

Don't get me wrong I would have loved to see those BIG games for the last few years. But, just like the PAC, I wasn't paying extra for them.
I have had it free on every system i have ever had. Even here. It is premium where you live?

Yes, it's a level up on my box. PAC too.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: August 29, 2022, 07:19:33 PM »

No Numbnuts. Just an incredibly cheap bastard. I won't even pay for a cell phone. I'd get rid of the internet, but it would deprive me of two things. One the ability to point out what an asswipe you are,(I'd say complete asswipe, but you lack the ability to do anything right, even be a moron)

And two, the odd occasion to tell Stevo to STFU.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: August 29, 2022, 08:38:36 PM »

Great. Elipses too?

The South Atlantic League

Who? I know there should be at least one other Sally team that wins double digits but I do not see any other team that could make the Top 10, let alone the playoffs.

Meatchicken

Well, they got past the The hump last year, for the first time since Luke Fickell coached The, and made the playoffs. Sure, they got shut down by Georgia, but who the hell did not? But this year? The two huge disrupters they had on the D Line have gone on to the pros, and they took most of the defensive line pressure with them. The offense was pretty steady but unspectacular last year, and will be again this year, though they continue to have the LSU problem, which is, how can a team that recruits this well continue to not find The Guy to be quarterback? It has been their weak point offensively for quite a while. It is not like Mcs cannot play, but that neither has seized control of the team is a bad sign since as they say if you have two quarterbacks you have no quarterbacks. Anyway, they certainly have the potential, particularly given the Wisconsin level OOC they have this year, to make another run at the playoffs. I think The is on a different plane this year (and pissed) and I discount a second place Increasingly Inaccurately Named Big Ten East team for the same reason I do it for the God apostrophe s Conference teams.

The Pennsylvania State University

PSU went PU at the end of last year, 2 and 6 over the last 8 games. And the one really dynamic offensive player they had, Jahan Nissan, is gone. Sure they had a stout defense, but they have a poor, bland offense and I see no reason to think they will find the spark that will allow them to be an elite team. You probably are unaware that I am a fan of one of the other Increasingly Inaccurately Named Big Ten East teams since I strive for total objectivity, and as a fan of another IINBT West team I can say I do not fear Penn State. I think they are the fourth best team in the Increasingly Inaccurately Names Big Ten East.

Increasingly Inaccurately Named Big Ten West

Normally I have one of the IINBTW teams in my Top 10, but since I am looking at potential playoff teams instead of a Top 10 this year let me just say, I do not see it. It is not that the West half is bad, but there just does not seem to be a team that can elevate.

Maryland

I always try to include every team the members of this forum are directly connected to in my write ups. And I still consider the mostly absent yankguy a member of this forum. Which is the only reason I include the Strive for Six Wins Turtles here. They should pass the ball as well as any Increasingly Inaccurately Named Big Ten team outside of Columbus, but they have no run game and nowhere near enough defense to be anything other than a low level, win the last game against Rutgers to make 6 wins at best. At best.

Utah

The biggest problem for Utah is that the PAWCP is so poorly regarded that they have no real margin for error. One early season loss and it is difficult to see how they can make up for it later in the season. And they start the season at Florida, and so could well be out of the picture in practical terms by September 4. Anyway, they return a lot of talent on offense, including their Rising quarterback, some studs on the line and a running back who has not died. Yet. Defensively, they got shredded at the start of the season, and by The and need to replace a few key players. I like them to win the PAWCP, but just do not trust them in the playoff picture.

University of California *

The end of the Helton era got ugly ugly ugly. Ugly like a public restroom at Mar A Lago. I expect Lincoln to emancipate them from the shackles of the pointless decision to keep Helton on but I also think it will take time.  Except Michigan State showed how quick a team can turn around in the modern version of the CFB through the judicious and lucky use of the transfer portal, and boy did USC try to do that. Caleb Williams had a Heisman bandwagon rolling for a few games last year for a reason, even if he faded near the end of the year. He gives the Trojenz a unique player to center their offense around, and the addition of last years best WR (well, no, but Jordan Addison did win the Biletnikoff Award), plus a couple good backs means the offense should be dynamic. But that was a really bad defense last year, and I do not think stealing Grinch is enough to fix it over night.

Oregon

True interesting fact: except for 2019, the Ducks have lost at least one game to a team with a losing record every year since 2015. Dan Lanning was a very off brand hire for them. They have made their bones by offense and it is the offense I worry about this year. Their leading rusher NILed out south, and to quarterback the team they brought in is Bo Nix. Which guarantees two things: a couple games where they pull the game out thanks to a superhuman play, and a couple games where he just flat out sucks. It is a trade off, but it is a trade off a PAWCP team cannot afford if they want to make the final four.

Texas

Yeah, no. They have been labelled as back before and have not been. Not until they prove otherwise. Also, their top 2 quarterback candidates are Quinn Ewers and Hudson Card, and I refuse to support a team that just makes up names like that.

Oklahoma

Well, a defensive coach? That is a new look for the Sooners.  There is always a lot of talent in Oklahoma, but their top 2 QBs portalled and they brought in a decent starter from a second tier school. Their O Line was mediocre last year and while they should be better they are still a question. Defensively, they lost some good talent on the D line (I hope, Cleveland drafted a couple of them) and overall, the defense had issues. Venable is an experienced defensive coordinator, so he should help in the long run, but I am only concerned about this year. And I mean concerned in a couple of ways.

Baylor

They lost almost all of their skill position players from offense last year, but that includes the QB who was beaten out by a new guy. Still, they need to have new players step up at WR and RB to be in the playoff picture even with a very good line, and that is too much of a gamble for me. They need to replace some people in the back end of their defense as well.

Cincinnati and The Group of Six

It was nice to see a couple of new teams in the playoffs last year (yes, them too) even if they were little more than speed bumps on the road to the God apostrophe s Conference Title Game II. But Cinci in particular lost an absolute shit ton of quality players on both sides of the ball. I know Fickell can recruit and coach, but Cinci is not Alabama. I expect a regression. As for the rest of the non-power conferences, I know that a team will surprise me and win 11 or so regular season games, but something like Cincis run last year? I do not see it.

So who is my last playoff team?

I am going to take Utah to beat Florida Saturday, so I will go with them. I recognize the high probability of this being considered Most Wrong.very, very early on.

* Southern

Good stuff all of it.

Alabama.

Are the Spartans ready for the Bronco's running game? Can you guys score? And what are your thoughts on Tennessee? 7-5? 8-4? 9-3? 6-6?

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: August 30, 2022, 10:57:11 AM »

I am not worried about WMU running game. I am worried about ours. And I am not worried about their running offense.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: August 30, 2022, 10:59:49 AM »

Oh, and  I think Tennessee goes 5 and 0, gets ranked and discussed as a surprise contender, and goes maybe 2 and 5 or 3 and 4 on the home stretch.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: August 30, 2022, 02:14:07 PM »

EVENTUAL 2022 2023 NATIONAL CHAMPION MICHIGAN STATE 37, WESTERN MICHIGAN 16

Hopefully, this is a tune up. WMU does have a good running game, but their starting QB threw 7 passes last season, and their top receiver graduated. So, not the biggest test of our biggest weakness. They also lost some key pinemen, so that plays into our defensive strength. I expect Eventual 2022 Heisman Trophy Winner Peyton Thorne to have a big day in the half and a few he plays, although WMU had a pretty good pass rush last year, so I will be interested to watch our line play.  I will also like to see how our B and B backfield shakes out.

Methchicken 42, Colorado State 10

I do not want to dog Meatchicken too hard about their lame OOC, because it is unusual for them, but they are really eating cupcakes this year. I am not sure which Mc they are starting at QB, but I do not think it matters.

Georgia 27, Oregon 14

I guess Oregon is technically the home team, but the game is in Atlanta. I think my feelings about Bo Nix are known. Georgia will still have a great, but not super human, defense, so I do not see Oregon putting a lot of points on the board. I think the offense is competent enough to score enough, and while the defense lost a lot, Georgia has benefited from some Smart recruiting and the fill ins should be fine.

Arkansas 35, Cincinnati 17

So did Cinci reload, or do they need to rebuild? We start answering that question this week, with a game against an Arkansas team that were better than expected last year and that some of the more knowledgeable experts (me) think are a decent bet for 10 wins despite the early season whoopin from Alabama and playing the toughest divisions in CFB. And Cinci replaces a QB who had ben there for 7 years, roughly, and their top running back and WR. That is a lot for anyone outside of the elite to replace, especially in game 1 against a talented team.

University of California * 31, Rice 14

Closely watching the Trojan rebuild, but this game will not tell us anything. Rice should be boiled straight off, left to simmer on low for exactly 12 minutes, and then fluffed with a fork. Because they are done. Though it will be interesting to see how well Riley incorporates Williams into a standard west coast style offense.

Utah 28, Florida 20

Probably the second game I am keeping an eye on Saturday. As I noted, I have the Utes making the playoffs, so there is something on the line for me here. I noted that I thought Florida has a shot at being the second best team in God apostrophe s Conference East this year, but the more I look at it the more I doubt it. I think their hire was a very good one, but there was a lot wrong with the team last year that he needs to fix.  Utah is just solid everywhere, and they have a quarterback whose name I have turned into a stupid joke way to many times for anyone but me to tolerate but I am doing it again who is a Rising player. This is not Urban Meyers Florida team, but it is not Dan Mullins team either. I just do not think they flip that switch right away.

The 45, Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie 28

Hooray to both teams for starting out with this. I think The The offense is absolutely loaded, All Increasingly Inaccurately Named Big Ten candidates, if not All American candidates at nearly every position. They should be fun to watch. Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie has a lot of talent too, so it should be fun. I just think the The offense is too high powered to stop.

Purdue 24, the Pennsylvania State University 17

Well, was the last 8 games what PSU really is? I just do not see the offense. I mean Clifford is a decent enough dual threat guy, but I am not sure where else the explosiveness comes from.

Maryland Who Cares, Buffalo What Difference Does It Make

Or, let us say 31 17. Maryland can throw the ball. They may need work running it, or blocking, or defending the run, or defending the pass. But they can pass. And unless Josh Allen is taking the field Buffalo is a second rate team in a third rate conference.

the Louisiana State 27, the Florida State 17

Remember when this would have been the real match up of the weekend? It was not that long ago, both have won championships in the last ten years. But they both have had issues since. Mike Norvell is pretty high up on the Most Fired list right now, and he needs a fast start to get the program past their fourth straight losing season. Think about that for a moment, FSU went the entire Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II and Obama administrations without a losing season. The LSU crash was precipitous, and it is easy to pinpoint for its cause. They now have a top flight proven coach and they continue to recruit well. I expect them to start the rebound this week.

ClemSIN 24, Georgia Tech 14

As I mentioned in my recap, I expect ClemSIN to shake out of last years offensive doldrums, and have an excellent defense. 24 points against a team coming off a three win season for a coach also high up on the Most Fired list. It do not think the score will be as close as I have it here, I am sort of hedging on the offensive rebound a bit.

* Southern

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: August 30, 2022, 05:44:04 PM »

Oh, and  I think Tennessee goes 5 and 0, gets ranked and discussed as a surprise contender, and goes maybe 2 and 5 or 3 and 4 on the home stretch.

Yeah, that's my thinking too. Any team that can hold down their offense will most likely beat them. They've got themselves a good DC. What they lack is the players. Still, I've seen no names and raw talent succeed at times. With a whole lot of luck. I give em a shot at 8-4.

The Broncos lost most of their passing game, so I tend to agree with you. Personally, I would have tried to convince Speed to play safety. But then he might not have come to the Spartie party. He's a quality athlete who just ran up against better athletes in Georgia.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: September 01, 2022, 06:36:34 PM »

No Numbnuts. Just an incredibly cheap bastard. I won't even pay for a cell phone. I'd get rid of the internet, but it would deprive me of two things. One the ability to point out what an asswipe you are,(I'd say complete asswipe, but you lack the ability to do anything right, even be a moron)

A bunch of insults but no answer to the question.
Which is succinct at two words.
No One.
The Big Ten now has TV revenue of one billion$ a year thanks largely to a vision that began 15 years ago( to much derision) that begat the BTN. Now every league has something similar but only the Big Ten has a footprint stretching lengthwise across the mainland with 4 of the five top tv  markets in tow and campuses in a host of our largest cities.
This does not guarantee a yearly national champion in any sport.
It is just confirmation of a well constructed and developed business plan that rivals the NFL in thinking.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 06:44:17 PM by Espnthree »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: September 01, 2022, 09:53:25 PM »

A bunch of insults but no answer to the question.
Which is succinct at two words.
No One.
The Big Ten now has TV revenue of one billion$ a year thanks largely to a vision that began 15 years ago( to much derision) that begat the BTN. Now every league has something similar but only the Big Ten has a footprint stretching lengthwise across the mainland with 4 of the five top tv  markets in tow and campuses in a host of our largest cities.
This does not guarantee a yearly national champion in any sport.
It is just confirmation of a well constructed and developed business plan that rivals the NFL in thinking.

The question, such as it was, was answered. As far as the insults are concerned, no charge.

bosox26d

• View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: September 01, 2022, 11:38:47 PM »

Nice to see an old style rivalry game renewed. Sadly with the money whores running rampant they will soon be a thing of the past. W Virginia blew it not going for it on 4th and one with the chance to put the game away

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: September 02, 2022, 11:38:33 AM »

Nice to see an old style rivalry game renewed.
Yes it was and an exciting one, to boot.
Sadly with the money whores running rampant they will soon be a thing of the past.

I think just the opposite. Notre Dame and TOSU are at it for just the 7th time in History on Saturday.
How is  it that the two who have combined for top five all time records in Wins,Winning per cent age,19 national championships, 18 Heismans, and 1,001 NFL players have scheduled only 4 regular season games,the last one 26 years ago.? The other two meetings were in post season.
It seems Notre Dame, whose gaudy all time numbers are based on its early dominance, is going to want more matchups like this one to stay in the national picture.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: September 02, 2022, 08:22:11 PM »

I thought I was told this would never happen. . .

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/college-football-playoff-expand-12-teams

Meanwhile over at God apostrophe s Conference and the cap household, they are trying to figure out which two teams will not get in.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 08:24:39 PM by Hairy Lime »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: September 02, 2022, 08:43:26 PM »

Peyton.Thorne does NOT have the arm for that throw.
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 329