Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1622990 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #5700 on: November 07, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »

I think there were generally positive takeaways.

The House gains were solid, and understated due to gerrymandering. Voter registration was up and there might be stickiness particularly going into 2020.

Elections in (Sen) Tx and (Gov) Ga which I thought were long shots were almost pulled off.

Fla was mildly disappointing, with 2 (probable) close losses.

And the I was hopinng for no more than R +2 in the Senate.

Of interest was the urban/suburban v rural divide, which I would think has longer term D legs.

But thats a QnD on last night.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: November 07, 2018, 11:42:27 AM »

While the notion of the "blue wave" was always a pipe dream I think, a stark reminder of Trump's power is never fun.

A +9.2% overall vote margin for Democrats, will end up with about +35 seats in the House (with 312 districts shifting to the left compared to 2016, thanks to a 10% average shift in districts), 7 Governorships and +333 state seats.  Didn’t win the Senate, but the GOP didn’t do that in 2010 either, and that was still enough for people to describe that as a wave.  So much so REDSTATEWARD still talks about it.  There were disappointments last night, for sure.  But the Democrats matched high(ish) expectations in a heavily gerrymandered House, and were never seriously expected to take the Senate.  Not only was a wave clearly not a “pipedream,” it happened. 

The nation is polarized, and Trump’s supporters turned out to vote.  No easy wins in this environment, but Democratic checks and balances on an openly corrupt administration is a W.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: November 07, 2018, 11:47:16 AM »

No easy wins in this environment, but Democratic checks and balances on an openly corrupt administration is a W.

First substantive thing Trump tweets following the election, he warns House Democrats not to investigate his corruption.  Then a few tweets later...Mueller.

Telling.

You could argue "Trump's power" on display in already Red parts of the country last night, but that power is trending downward, not upward.  And the issues that are very clearly on Mr. Trump's mind today are not going to help that.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: November 07, 2018, 11:54:01 AM »

Fine.  We'll call it a definitional difference.  I don't consider it a blue wave if they didn't take the Senate  not withstanding that they "were never seriously expected to take" it anyway.   

Though at the same time I do believe that last night was the first (and we can still disagree on the size of it) step in repudiating the nightmare in the White House. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:58:12 AM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

barton

« Reply #5704 on: November 07, 2018, 11:58:11 AM »

"Blue ripple?" 

One small, very modest request:  Green Party, could you just go fuck off for a few years?  Stop Nadering elections?

I mean, seriously, Sinema would have won unambiguously last night, if not for the Green candidate.  Since Sinema used to BE in the Green Party, and clearly in tune with their issues, how hard was it to just stand aside and give her an unobstructed shot? 

The difference between McSally and Sinema comes down to 15,908 votes. Green has 38,597 votes in Arizona — in other words, if even half of the Green Party voters had voted for Sinema instead, she would likely be in the lead, not McSally.
  (Yes, the Green Party candidate was named Angela Green.  That's just too cute.)

Whiskey?  Am I missing something? 

I hope the House doesn't go straight for Trump's shins, right off.  I think they'll pave a better path to 2020 if they get to work on the pressing domestic issues and show how Democrats want to focus on positive policy goals. 

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: November 07, 2018, 12:19:56 PM »

"Blue ripple?" 

One small, very modest request:  Green Party, could you just go fuck off for a few years?  Stop Nadering elections?

I mean, seriously, Sinema would have won unambiguously last night, if not for the Green candidate.  Since Sinema used to BE in the Green Party, and clearly in tune with their issues, how hard was it to just stand aside and give her an unobstructed shot? 

The difference between McSally and Sinema comes down to 15,908 votes. Green has 38,597 votes in Arizona — in other words, if even half of the Green Party voters had voted for Sinema instead, she would likely be in the lead, not McSally.
  (Yes, the Green Party candidate was named Angela Green.  That's just too cute.)

Whiskey?  Am I missing something? 

I hope the House doesn't go straight for Trump's shins, right off.  I think they'll pave a better path to 2020 if they get to work on the pressing domestic issues and show how Democrats want to focus on positive policy goals.
Green actually withdrew and urged her supporters to vote for Sinema. Balf.way through early voting and too late to get her name off the ballot. Thanks tons.

Since I moved to Arizona exactly one person I voted for on the partisan ballot has won. Obama. It would be nice if I could double that. Possibly triple that: Superintendent of Public Education is a dead heat.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: November 07, 2018, 12:28:22 PM »

On the other hand assuming currently Democratic current Representative Tom O'Halleran maintains his lead - five digits, so he should - Arizona will flip from 5-4 Repo to 5 - 4 Democratic, with Anne Kirkpatrick leveraging her deep roots in Tucson and Southern AZ to flip McSurly's seat. Arizona has not had a statewide Democratic office holder since 2008, but toggles between red and blue in Congress. Something to be said for non-partisan districting.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5707 on: November 07, 2018, 02:38:20 PM »

Am I the only one who went to sleep and woke up giddy as a kid at Christmas?

This election felt like the end of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

The GOP Deathstar (HOUSE) has been destroyed!

No need to go after Trump, just put forth positive policy and let he and the Senate shit on the good stuff. Meanwhile, if the Dems just conduct proper oversight the GOP legislative agenda is DOA.

The corrupt cabinet member’s game is up. Trump wants a war with Iran? No money from the House.

Etcetera etcetera etcetera.

Like Cube said, “It was a good day!”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: November 07, 2018, 02:42:06 PM »

Congress can pass gun control, private prison ban, drinking water safety, solar freedom (preventing utilities from squashing solar), and public option bills. They can pass a bill authorizing the post office to operate personal banking services.

While waiting for the corrupt immoral and incompetent Senate to pick any of these bills up, they can investigate the shit out of the trump klan, the dirty dirty GOP, NRA, KKK, GRU, Fox axis, and the petroleum industry as well as all the rapey new GOP judges.

The new American Majority can pass these bills and have the subpoenas flying by Valentines Day.   
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: November 07, 2018, 02:46:04 PM »

Not giddy but hopeful the tide is turning from the dark side.

The reality remains we still have a corrupt and evil leader with ever-more dependent and compliant orcs as hench-orcs ready to do their master's bidding.

And the court is  orc-heavy.

And AZ Senate race is still not over, just reported there are remain 500,000 votes yet to be counted in Maricopa and Pima.

Sherriff Joe was hoping to bury them in the desert 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: November 07, 2018, 02:48:30 PM »

AG Jeff Sessions just resigned.

and the fun begins.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: November 07, 2018, 02:52:23 PM »

A much milder Trump today

"CNN polling = voter suppression"

And the first shoe drops

Jeff Sessions is gone, on the advice of President Trump.

Matt Whitaker is new AG, not Rod Rosenstein.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: November 07, 2018, 02:53:58 PM »

Not giddy but hopeful the tide is turning from the dark side.

The reality remains we still have a corrupt and evil leader with ever-more dependent and compliant orcs as hench-orcs ready to do their master's bidding.

And the court is  orc-heavy.

And AZ Senate race is still not over, just reported there are remain 500,000 votes yet to be counted in Maricopa and Pima.

Sherriff Joe was hoping to bury them in the desert

Arizona allows you to vote by mail on Election Day. Just needs that day's postmark. 

Race wont be done for a while.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: November 07, 2018, 02:57:20 PM »

"Resigned..."

Don't lose how crazy this is.  They AG is gone because he wouldn't protect the President from a legitimate inquiry being conducted by his own justice department...

No need to go after Trump, just put forth positive policy and let he and the Senate shit on the good stuff.

To a certain degree, yes.  Democrats should put an end to questions of what they stand for by putting together an agenda that proves it.  Starting with the issue that got them the House; healthcare.

However, oversight of the executive is a legitimate roll of congress assigned to them by the Constitution.  Republicans will claim that Democrats are "harassing" the President (anyone else remember Chaffetz bragging that he had two years of hearings lined up should Clinton be elected?) but this will be pure spin.  Democrats would be doing their job.  Particularly faced with an openly corrupt President who has already been implicated in criminal activity via the indictment of his associates.

Plus, Mueller may reassert himself after staying quiet during the election season and should more come to light, it will be harder for the GOP to argue that vigorous oversight is unfounded.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: November 07, 2018, 02:58:45 PM »

...on the advice of President Trump.

lol.
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 4288