Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3032 3033 [3034] 3035 3036 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1619683 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #45495 on: July 31, 2020, 09:25:39 AM »

This piece of bullshit appeared on one of my town's FB pages:

We are the silent majority. We get no air time. We don't burn things down or tear things up. We go to work and support our families. We love America. We want to protect the unborn. We salute the flag. We sing "The Star Spangled Banner". We respect law enforcement and obey the law. We appreciate the military. We are the very backbone of this country. We believe all lives matter because that is what we learned from reading the Bible. We treat everyone with respect no matter what color their skin is. But we are invisible ! Let’s be heard! It’s time to start making some noise

Why on earth would you have a problem with any of that?

Whiny bullshit.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #45496 on: July 31, 2020, 09:29:17 AM »

Steve Scalise got shot in his ass and lost his fucking mind.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #45497 on: July 31, 2020, 09:30:20 AM »

We are the silent majority. We get no air time. We don't burn things down or tear things up. We go to work and support our families. We love America. We want to protect the unborn. We salute the flag. We sing "The Star Spangled Banner". We respect law enforcement and obey the law. We appreciate the military. We are the very backbone of this country. We believe all lives matter because that is what we learned from reading the Bible. We treat everyone with respect no matter what color their skin is. But we are invisible ! Let’s be heard! It’s time to start making some noise

Look up the words "pretext" and "context". 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #45498 on: July 31, 2020, 10:02:06 AM »

I was watching MSNBC last night and caught Eugene Robinson, a long-time WaPo political columnist and a guy who I've long enjoyed in print and TV, discussing Trump's racist housing tweet. And his bottom line take was one I tried to make here yesterday.

Force Repubs to address it, and either reject it or own it.

He was better at it though.

From his column on the matter.

On Wednesday, Trump tweeted what may be the most nakedly racist appeal to White voters that I’ve seen since the days of segregationist state leaders such as Alabama’s George Wallace and Georgia’s Lester Maddox:

Most Americans see this as a moment of racial reckoning, according to polls. Trump has also fallen behind with suburban voters, who have become a key electoral bellwether. In response, Trump promises his followers a return to the racial caste system that stratified the nation before the civil rights movement.

At least the president is up front about all of this. The Republican Party cannot pretend there is anything at work here other than old-fashioned racism. Those who support Trump’s reelection must also support, and cheer, his adamant refusal to enforce a landmark piece of civil rights legislation. Enjoy!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-again-uses-housing-as-a-racial-wedge/2020/07/30/c7d7b942-d282-11ea-8c55-61e7fa5e82ab_story.html
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 10:03:45 AM by bankshot1 »

barton

« Reply #45499 on: July 31, 2020, 10:16:24 AM »

Whiny bullshit.

And it assumes everyone who holds conservative values reads the Bible.   Debatable.

barton

« Reply #45500 on: July 31, 2020, 10:19:01 AM »

I was watching MSNBC last night and caught Eugene Robinson, a long-time WaPo political columnist and a guy who I've long enjoyed in print and TV, discussing Trump's racist housing tweet. And his bottom line take was one I tried to make here yesterday....

The golden oldie of greatest dogwhistle hits.   

barton

« Reply #45501 on: July 31, 2020, 10:20:01 AM »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #45502 on: July 31, 2020, 10:26:13 AM »

I was watching MSNBC last night and caught Eugene Robinson, a long-time WaPo political columnist and a guy who I've long enjoyed in print and TV, discussing Trump's racist housing tweet. And his bottom line take was one I tried to make here yesterday....

Bart that wasn't a dog whistle but rather a fucking fog-horn.

There was nothing coded about Trump's tweet, everyone understood it was a pure racist appeal

It was vile and dangerous.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #45503 on: July 31, 2020, 10:33:34 AM »

Trump seems to be done with Jared's black outreach program.

Where is Jared anyway these days?
What major initiative is he working on?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #45504 on: July 31, 2020, 10:54:54 AM »

Bart that wasn't a dog whistle but rather a fucking fog-horn.

There was nothing coded about Trump's tweet, everyone understood it was a pure racist appeal

It was vile and dangerous.

I was predicating my comment on the basis that most dogwhistles have become foghorns.    Of freaking course everyone knows what "low income" means when DT says it.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45505 on: July 31, 2020, 11:24:48 AM »

Where is Jared anyway these days?
What major initiative is he working on?

In hiding and working on how to transfer all the money to Swiss banks and how to get out of the country.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45506 on: July 31, 2020, 11:35:37 AM »

No BS...it's 100% corrrect

I'll pick ONE topic: They claim that they believe all lives matter, but for all but one poll since 1937 your precious so-called silent majority has favored the death penalty.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/1606/death-penalty.aspx

They claim to believe "all lives matter" while supporting sending our military to kill people.

They claim to believe "all lives matter," but they fail to do anything about the 3,000 municipalities that have worse water than Flint, Michigan did.

They claim to believe "all lives matter." but they think we give too much in foreign aid. (Mind you, they think proportionately we give the most in the world, which is far from true and was before Trump.) More of them think we should only give money to those who benefit our foreign policy, not those who are poor.
Half of Democrats (49%) say that foreign aid should be focused on the world's poorest countries, while most Republicans (59%) believe that American aid should be used to reward countries which support American foreign policy.

None of this sounds remotely like thinking that "all lives matter."

And the claim that they were taught it from the Bible is laughable when the Bible is the excuse they use for discriminating against other religions, against Blacks and other minorities, and against LGBT folks.

That they may have started to come around on the latter two doesn't make it something they learned from the Bible, but from society. And it has been a recent and sharp shift, present in only part of the country.

And the people the vaunted silent majority discriminates against most are the poor and the disabled and the orphans.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45507 on: July 31, 2020, 11:37:33 AM »

Right wing religious folk aren't the majority in the US.

And usually they tend to be pretty noisy and get their views out there.  Just unhappy the left and anti-racism folks are making the bigger noise, bigger splash with an election upcoming.

Not necessarily religious .
The quiet folk do what it says in their statement,,,salute the flag, not burn it.
Sing the national anthem not hate it .

The folks kneeling don't hate it, either. That you think they do is YOUR problem. And not even much of that. You don't truly believe all lives matter, though you are closer than many of your fellow bullshit adherents.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45508 on: July 31, 2020, 11:39:31 AM »

Because it's lies. But I explained at greater length on one score. If, after reading it, you still don't get it, I will be happy to expand on it for you.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45509 on: July 31, 2020, 11:43:38 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3032 3033 [3034] 3035 3036 ... 4288