Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2564 2565 [2566] 2567 2568 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1618394 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38475 on: June 15, 2020, 10:26:18 PM »

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38476 on: June 15, 2020, 10:32:43 PM »

Someone seems to have confused "Many" and "All".

RIF.

Reading is fundamental.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #38477 on: June 15, 2020, 10:34:24 PM »

http://www.vox.com/2020/6/14/21290652/protests-black-lives-matter-defund-police-atlanta-rayshard-brooks

“Still going strong”

Brooks says, “Mr. Rolfe,” as the men roll on the ground; the viral video shows this part of the struggle, and what appears to be an exchange of blows.[ The dash cam video shows Brooks standing after a time, a Taser in his hand. Rolfe appears to discharge his Taser; Brooks then turns and runs.

Surveillance camera video slowed down by the New York Times shows what happens next in exacting detail: Brooks, still running, begins to turn, the hand holding the Taser raised. He fires his Taser, but it does not connect with Rolfe, who draws his handgun and fires three shots. Brooks falls to the ground, not moving.

#####

Cop fired, but not charged with any crime.

Do y'all have "Stop or I'll shoot"? ['even if you're unarmed']
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 10:41:22 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38478 on: June 15, 2020, 10:37:25 PM »

That was a pleasant surprise.

I could have foreseen Roberts. But never Gorsuch.
From Gorsuch

An employer who fires an individual for being homosexual or transgender fires that person for traits or actions it wouldn’t have questioned in members of a different sex. Sex plays a necessary and undisguisable role in the decision, exactly what Title VII forbids.”

Imagine that. Relying on the text of Title VII.
Trump vowed to replace Scalia with a Justice of similar visions of the law.
Gorsuch delivered on this one.

Yet, so many conservatives feel differently:

https://theweek.com/speedreads/920080/conservatives-blast-gorsuch-after-lgbtq-discrimination-decision-among-worst-jurists-history-united-states

Gee, how surprising that they should feel that way.

Somehow, I don't think they would like laws that permitted discrimination against them for being straight, though!
I don’t know where “ Echo4 “ came from or why.
But his post was pretty stupid since it included the observation

Meghan McCain was among those on the right who celebrated the decision, though. And for the Washington Examiner, Brad Polumbo made the case that while "many conservatives may initially be shocked or dismayed" by Gorsuch's decision, it's actually "based on razor-sharp logic, and it is entirely consistent with the conservative commitment to textualism." Brendan Morrow

You really are challenged by this formatting thing.

That was from UNO, not from Echo4, Ward.

Do learn how to read this forum, please. It would make your statements only somewhat absurd instead of totally absurd.
Nice dodge.

Still can't just admit when you're wrong.

You blame the wrong person and can't just say "oops," like a normal human.

Fool.

Not only does he "blame the wrong person", and double down on that idiocy, he failed, as Hairy pointed out to distinguish between "many" and "all".

Sad.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38479 on: June 15, 2020, 10:43:58 PM »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #38480 on: June 15, 2020, 10:48:53 PM »

One way NZ is definitely not like the USA,

http://slate.com/technology/2020/06/covid-never-under-control-america.html

Americans might get very lonely in NZ.
Many Kiwis, especially working ones, can't leave NZ fast enough to migrate to Australia.
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #38481 on: June 15, 2020, 10:53:05 PM »

ex ...

Well there you go.

All that needed to be said or attended to.

LOL

He's nearly 80.
Had to choose, could no longer do radio, tv, and newspapers.
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #38482 on: June 15, 2020, 11:01:26 PM »

My belief is that face masks are much better than social distancing when people are in public.  I've hinted at this in a few posts, but didn't feel like getting into a prolonged discussion about it. 

In China face masks became universal, near 100% compliance.  While social distancing was not emphasized or mentioned much at all.  Of course China banned large gatherings and shut down offices and schools for months.  Lockdowns plus face masks proved very effective here.

Face masks are a direct block to viral spreading.  They impede respiration and water droplets from travelling.  Social distancing seems much vaguer.  6 feet is fairly arbitrary.  In small food shops common in Shanghai (and NYC), it's also not very practical/possible.   And it's not always easy to be sure if you are within 6' or not anyway.

There's also the issue of aerosolized particles and you want to stay 6 feet or preferably further from any cough, sneeze, talking that puts a cloud of droplets into the air.  That is, you don't just want to stay 6' from another person, but 6 feet away from any aerosol droplet emission they might leave hanging in the air, which you can't see, and might walk right through.

Staying away from other people makes plenty of sense to me.  But having a mask on in public when people are close by or further than 6' is best.  When riding my bike or on an empty street, I would simply move the mask on to my chin.  These all seem like very basic common sense behaviors to restrict the spread of a respiratory virus.  Handwashing too, though that strikes me as likely to have the least effect.

There was something COVID-related last week, I forget the detail for now, and the response was that there was no scientific study that said that whatever was true.  And that was an early argument against face masks.  But just because something hasn't been studied doesn't make it not true.  And sometimes something isn't studied because it seems to be simply common sense true (even back in 1918 face masks were used to stop the Spanish flu).

Finally last week, Dr. Birx referred to two studies that said masks were effective, though I didn't see any link to the studies.   I'm glad mask wearing increased in the US.  And that statistic that even 50% mask wearing will reduce the r rate below 1 is encouraging.  If mask wearing occurred sooner and with more compliance, a lot of lives would have been saved in the US, and a lot fewer sick people.

It's too bad basic health care became so politicized int eh US, but I guess it's been that way for over half a century.  Ronald Reagan made LP records explaining how Medicare and Medicaid were taking away freedoms and the first steps towards a commie takeover.

Our doctor says:
"The holes in the mask are smaller than the holes in your face".
Eye covering is also essential as the virus can enter the body thru eyes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/us/coronavirus-airplane-masks-goggles.html
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #38483 on: June 15, 2020, 11:06:28 PM »

ex ...

Well there you go.

All that needed to be said or attended to.

LOL

He's nearly 80.
Had to choose, could no longer do radio, tv, and newspapers.

"Cultural revolutionary", that's you?
Go woke, go broke.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38484 on: June 15, 2020, 11:09:16 PM »

Cop fired, but not charged with any crime.

Yet.

Things rarely move as swiftly when (ex-)police are concerned as they did in Minneapolis.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38485 on: June 15, 2020, 11:16:24 PM »

Mitch McConnell has declared that getting increasing numbers of conservative judges in place is more important to him than police reform.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/15/senate-police-reform-bill-320629

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/politics/policing-reform-congress-latest/index.html

Mitch is getting a little pushback on his plan to wait until after July 4th to try to take us much of the wind out of these sales as possible.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38486 on: June 15, 2020, 11:29:01 PM »

Teflon Trump and his 2020 landslide win:
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/15/trump-glide-reelection-republican-officials-316457

Painted hemorrhoid stands a better chance to take the GOP nomination than he did in2016. Also if you were a republican, or someone born without a head, it might appear that the campaign’s ties to Russian organized crime are slightly less obvious this cycle.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38488 on: June 15, 2020, 11:40:41 PM »

My belief is that face masks are much better than social distancing when people are in public.  I've hinted at this in a few posts, but didn't feel like getting into a prolonged discussion about it. 

In China face masks became universal, near 100% compliance.  While social distancing was not emphasized or mentioned much at all.  Of course China banned large gatherings and shut down offices and schools for months.  Lockdowns plus face masks proved very effective here.

Face masks are a direct block to viral spreading.  They impede respiration and water droplets from travelling.  Social distancing seems much vaguer.  6 feet is fairly arbitrary.  In small food shops common in Shanghai (and NYC), it's also not very practical/possible.   And it's not always easy to be sure if you are within 6' or not anyway.

There's also the issue of aerosolized particles and you want to stay 6 feet or preferably further from any cough, sneeze, talking that puts a cloud of droplets into the air.  That is, you don't just want to stay 6' from another person, but 6 feet away from any aerosol droplet emission they might leave hanging in the air, which you can't see, and might walk right through.

Staying away from other people makes plenty of sense to me.  But having a mask on in public when people are close by or further than 6' is best.  When riding my bike or on an empty street, I would simply move the mask on to my chin.  These all seem like very basic common sense behaviors to restrict the spread of a respiratory virus.  Handwashing too, though that strikes me as likely to have the least effect.

There was something COVID-related last week, I forget the detail for now, and the response was that there was no scientific study that said that whatever was true.  And that was an early argument against face masks.  But just because something hasn't been studied doesn't make it not true.  And sometimes something isn't studied because it seems to be simply common sense true (even back in 1918 face masks were used to stop the Spanish flu).

Finally last week, Dr. Birx referred to two studies that said masks were effective, though I didn't see any link to the studies.   I'm glad mask wearing increased in the US.  And that statistic that even 50% mask wearing will reduce the r rate below 1 is encouraging.  If mask wearing occurred sooner and with more compliance, a lot of lives would have been saved in the US, and a lot fewer sick people.

It's too bad basic health care became so politicized int eh US, but I guess it's been that way for over half a century.  Ronald Reagan made LP records explaining how Medicare and Medicaid were taking away freedoms and the first steps towards a commie takeover.

You were correct on the masks from the beginning. We must have made a couple hundred of them.

But the problem with right wing Americans is not their stupidity it’s superior marketing to appeal to racial resentment.that leads to groups of armed people converged in small places around the US to defend that town from the rampaging hordes of  Antifa. They believe the Satanic conspiracy theories spouted by Q and one of them won a GOP primary  for US Senate.

I keep telling you guys. The GOP operates on a different plane of reality.

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2020/02/03/were-living-in-the-republican-partys-altered-states/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38489 on: June 15, 2020, 11:43:49 PM »

IMAGINE...if a White person wrote;

n...a wont beat my ass
@justcallmemike

They'd be fired from their job, 'tarred and feathered', and run out of town, city, country as a racist.

Equality...oh wherefore art thou equality?

Do be quiet you silly git.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2564 2565 [2566] 2567 2568 ... 4288