Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 566

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 119375 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #180 on: June 07, 2022, 10:58:59 AM »

You need Will Bailey to run in Montana.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 09, 2022, 03:28:22 PM »

Vatican News

13 minutes

Pope Francis meets with the Bishops and priests of the Italian island of Sicily, and urges them to draw near and show tenderness to the many Sicilians who taste bitterness and disappointment due to a lack of employment opportunities.

------------

Frank Capra came to America from Sicily and rose to the top, he was one of the best filmmakers of all time.

And we have more Italians in New York City than there are in Rome.

Italians helped to build America, including brave explorers like Amerigo Vespucci and Cristoforo Colombo.

The Italians will always be welcome in America, and whatever opportunities that we have in America will always be available to the Italians.

And someday I hope to own a vineyard and winery in Tuscany, and a movie production office and also a night club in Rome. Americans love Italy just as the Italians love America.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 09, 2022, 04:20:02 PM »

BNY Mellon

6 hours

June 9 is Founder's Day at BNY Mellon!

On this day 238 years ago, Alexander Hamilton established the Bank of New York. Since 1784, we've been continually investing in people and opportunities that create a lasting impact. Times may change, years may go by, but our guiding principles remain anchored to the enduring spirits of our founder.

-------------

The Bank of New York was the first company listed on the New York Stock Exchange.

Salute,

Tony V.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 10, 2022, 03:54:04 PM »

In the 1980s they had a program for the Foster Youth to work as interns at the movie studios, so that the youth would have a shot at a good life with a job at a studio. Those were good programs, and we need for the studios to bring those programs back.

The studios can work together with CASA to identify and help the Foster Youth.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #185 on: June 10, 2022, 04:41:40 PM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/06/how-san-francisco-became-failed-city/661199/

Changing my mind about Chesa Boudin.  Yes, you can't decriminalize everything.  And some people need involuntary commitment.  I had not realized how extreme he was.

She's also right about the housing woes there, and rampant NIMBYism.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 10, 2022, 04:53:37 PM »

On the issue of trying to teach the World Bank and others how to best serve and help the poor...

When I was in college I took a course on Small Business Management Consulting which trained people to be Consultants for the Small Business Administration. My Professor was a Black man who taught poor young Black men in Compton how to be entrepreneurs, he would set them up with a connection at the SBA and he would help the young Black men to open their own successful businesses, and after they were successful then they would all take a trip to Africa together. My only assignment was a swimming pool supply store in Lancaster, and they went out of business so I kind of failed on that one, but he was too far gone by the time he asked for help, if he would have asked for help sooner then I could have helped him. Anyhow, I am a trained Consultant, so that helps as I send ideas to the World Bank and to others as I try to help people.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #187 on: June 11, 2022, 09:49:06 AM »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 11, 2022, 10:27:51 AM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/06/how-san-francisco-became-failed-city/661199/

Changing my mind about Chesa Boudin.  Yes, you can't decriminalize everything.  And some people need involuntary commitment.  I had not realized how extreme he was.

Sad that you ever thought highly of him

Holly Martins

« Reply #189 on: June 11, 2022, 11:27:00 AM »

Sad that you ever thought highly of him

I am finding it difficult to see what condition, aside from Asperger's, could allow you to so thoroughly sabotage a chat with someone gracefully conceding a point and revising their opinion based on more facts. 

I hadn't heard of Boudin until a couple days ago.  Then I questioned his recall, based on some initial impressions.  Then I saw the merits of the recall, which you believed there were, based on an article from a SF based writer.  Where was the need to close this chat with a cheap shot?

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 11, 2022, 05:38:11 PM »

The World Bank is saying that there is going to be a slowdown in advanced economies. It is not a good time for a slow down. We just came out of being locked down because of covid for a couple of years. And we have 60,000 homeless people on the streets of Los Angeles alone, those homeless people need food, housing, healthcare, and then jobs.

And we need to stop the corruption, and we need fair trade, and we need to create jobs for our people.

One simple thing is to get the world to drink Mimosas that are made with California orange juice, and to employ the homeless people by hiring them to work in the orange juice industry.

We can also build high density Greek style housing in Battle Mountain, Nevada, and they can do trade with San Francisco, etc. They can have greenhouses and they can grow flowers to sell to San Francisco, and they can raise pigs and they can sell bacon to San Francisco, etc.

We cannot go downhill into a worse economy, it is already bad, we need to fix things and we need to make things better, and we need jobs, housing, and healthcare, for our people.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 11, 2022, 09:29:03 PM »

We cannot go downhill into a worse economy, it is already bad, we need to fix things and we need to make things better, and we need jobs, housing, and healthcare, for our people.

Clearly, you should hurry to tell the World Bank how to stop it from happening!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 11, 2022, 10:13:08 PM »

I hadn't heard of Boudin until a couple days ago. 

often happens when the Daily Kos is your main source of info.

Holly Martins

« Reply #193 on: June 12, 2022, 09:08:26 AM »

Don't read it.  As I've often listed here, AP News, WaPo, NPR, Reuters, TheHill, are main sources for me.  But keep lying and trolling and wanking off to your Karl Rove pinup.

Kid is on Ignore.  Probably permanent, as I've reached that Yank Guy threshold of finding engagement pointless.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 11:41:35 AM by kidcarter8 »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 566