Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 566

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 119334 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #435 on: July 14, 2022, 03:10:17 PM »

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/14/1109345201/theres-a-massive-housing-shortage-across-the-u-s-heres-how-bad-it-is-where-you-l

I speculate two trends will result.  One, the Tiny House movement is really going to accelerate.  Two, we will see a culture shift towards multigenerational homes, as has been long the tradition in Asia. 

Our young neighbors are also following the trend to add a roommate who sleeps in a non-conforming bedroom.  Originally it was set up for two people, then the landlord allowed them to create a BR in the basement.

You are spot on all of that.

I just hope you do not live in a flood zone.

The aspiration of owning an electric cargo truck with deployable solar and turbine generators and an ebike that lets you park for a couple of days then move a hundred miles so your upkeep is down to insurance, registration, food, and water may soon outstrip the desire to own a brick and mortar home, at least out here in the south west. The mobile starter home can then evolve to RV or mobile shed duty if the owner does well enough and desires to purchase some land and put a home there. They might keep their living mobile as they develop or preserve their land in other ways.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 14, 2022, 03:20:38 PM »

Ah yes..homes where multi families live...20 and 30 in a house.
The women all stay home and wash, iron, cook, clean, grocery shop, shop...while all the men go out to work all day and half the night.
It's why such folk reportedly "own most of London, are rolling in cash and drive luxury cars".

When mrs bambu toured Japan several years ago, home stays, she slept on the floor in some homes.
Living room turns into a bedroom.
If I got down and slept on the floor I might * never* get up. :)
Some families very traditional, others very westernised, beds.
Some two storey homes, parents living downstairs, their 'married with children' children self contained upstairs.
Living in the same house as your parents forever?
Bring wife to live in parents' home when married?
Not for me, but with unaffordable housing and the cost of everything today, I can see how it could fast become popular.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 03:38:29 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 14, 2022, 03:26:30 PM »

Your racist is showing again Bambi. I think that is part of why you guys lost control of Australia in the last election.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 14, 2022, 03:40:50 PM »

Here in America we have the Fair Housing Act, also known as the Civil Rights Act of 1968, that says that all people must be treated equally on the issue of housing. We must all have the same opportunities for housing.

So that means that we can help the refugees, the immigrants, and the homeless people, all at once, we can build mass high density apartments like Santorini, Greece, and we can house everyone there equally, all races, all sexes, etc, everyone can be housed equally in compliance with our Fair Housing Act.

ALL PEOPLE ARE CREATED EQUAL and our Fair Employment Act, also known as the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and our Fair Housing Act, also known as the Civil Rights Act of 1968, make sure that we are all equal on the issues of jobs and housing.

People marched and fought and died so that America can have the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and our Civil Rights Act of 1968, and we need to protect them and honor them.

Salute,

Tony V.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 14, 2022, 03:47:05 PM »

It's the way things are, apparently.
It's certainly cheaper.
Outsourcing labour companies are tendering a cheaper price because they're bringing in workers from overseas putting them up in hotels 12 people to a room reportedly.
Oh, and locals are losing their "living wage" jobs.
Some think it's all sweet, bambu-ilk do not.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 03:52:42 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 14, 2022, 04:10:25 PM »

Fair housing?
Everybody equal in the real estate/housing game?
Friend of mine is 73, bad marriage, divorced, wife custody of kids, he stayed in home and worked two jobs.
Home now old and unlivable.
Depression etc saw him put on weight, now very overweight about 340lbs and walks with crutches.
He wants to rent a house or apartment, has the money, ...the properties go to young people with or without children.
He's had to resort to living in an aged care facility room.
He wants out of there so I told him to "flash the cash" at real estate agents, offer to pay all the rent in advance, at higher price than asking, and a bonus for the agent.
Seems to me that not much in life is fair and equal.
Seems to me that everything is a war.. in which only the rich do well.
Go woke, go broke.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 14, 2022, 04:13:05 PM »

Here in America we have the Fair Housing Act, also known as the Civil Rights Act of 1968, that says that all people must be treated equally on the issue of housing. We must all have the same opportunities for housing.

If only it were practiced.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 14, 2022, 05:06:43 PM »

Which it is.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 14, 2022, 05:49:17 PM »

Which it is.

Evidence has been provided repeatedly to you of how that fails in geographical area by geographical area, with bias in housing based on color and/or perceived ethnicity.

That you ignore it says nothing about the evidence and everything about you.

No news here.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 14, 2022, 07:19:51 PM »

Which it is.

Evidence has been provided repeatedly to you of how that fails in geographical area by geographical area, with bias in housing based on color and/or perceived ethnicity.
None was provided that has any credibility.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 14, 2022, 07:32:43 PM »

Fair housing?
Everybody equal in the real estate/housing game?
Friend of mine is 73, bad marriage, divorced, wife custody of kids, he stayed in home and worked two jobs.
Home now old and unlivable.
Depression etc saw him put on weight, now very overweight about 340lbs and walks with crutches.
He wants to rent a house or apartment, has the money, ...the properties go to young people with or without children.
He's had to resort to living in an aged care facility room.
He wants out of there so I told him to "flash the cash" at real estate agents, offer to pay all the rent in advance, at higher price than asking, and a bonus for the agent.
Seems to me that not much in life is fair and equal.
Seems to me that everything is a war.. in which only the rich do well.

If your friend lived in Hollywood then he could get Habitat For Humanity to fix his house, and he could let some young beautiful actresses live with him to help him to cook and clean and to shop for groceries, and to keep up the yard-work, etc. Here in Hollywood people come here from all over the world, and many end up homeless, and if your friend owned a house in Hollywood then he would have no problem finding young actresses to help him in exchange for a place to live.

When I lived in Malibu, I rented a room from the ex wife of Sammy Hagar's family Dr, and it was great, one of my roommates was the daughter of a Chinese general ( God sends me strong helpers ), and then there were two kids, and a scientist lived there with us, it was great. We had a beautiful home overlooking the Pacific Ocean. And you had to go through two security gates to get to our house, it was very safe. Sometimes you can rent a room with great people and you can live a great life, it was awesome in Malibu.

Also of note, right now the Francis Ford Coppola Winery is hiring cooks, that is a great opportunity for the right person.

And yes Bambu, life is better if you are rich, but sometimes you get lucky and hook up with cool people, like the lady who I rented a room from in Malibu, that was a wonderful time for me, it was great there.

Meanwhile, Anaheim is nice, and there are good people here who help each other. If I was homeless I could just go to the Wellness Center and they would put me in a group home, or to the Mental Health Association in Santa Ana, we have helpers here in Orange County who help people. There are some good people in the world, you just need to find the cool good people.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 07:36:30 PM by FlyingVProd »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 14, 2022, 07:45:26 PM »

We need to stand up and demand our rights, and we need to protect our rights, and I support the ACLU to fight for our rights.

Some issues on rights are also violated when the police search the Greyhound buses, the cops are not allowed to search a Greyhound bus without a warrant. The immigrants do not need to die in hot trucks, the immigrants can travel safely on Greyhound buses, and the police are not allowed to search the Greyhound buses without a warrant.

We need to protect and defend our rights.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 14, 2022, 07:50:07 PM »

Which it is.

None that you would accept.

You have been clear that the only research you would accept is that with results with which you agree.

You are disingenuous at the best of times, which is how you earned your motto:

Lie, deny, and obfuscate.

Espnthree

• View Profile
Re: News in Generalbias v
« Reply #448 on: July 14, 2022, 07:57:02 PM »

Which it is.

You have been clear that the only research you would accept is that with results with which you agree.

that would be you.
After all the Government is in the hands of the democrats.
Any bias in housing laws reflects democrat bias.
How do you explain that?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: News in Generalbias v
« Reply #449 on: July 14, 2022, 08:39:17 PM »

Which it is.

that would be you.
After all the Government is in the hands of the democrats.
Any bias in housing laws reflects democrat bias.
How do you explain that?

In this case, I:
a) did not say the laws were biased, which shows yet again you either cannot read or you make shit up for bogus arguments;

b) asserted that people are not treated equally on the issue of housing, which I reiterate;

c) will point out to you that only parts of the government are in the hands of the Democrats and that the current super-majority on SCOTUS will hamstring any efforts by the federal government to enforce the laws that pertain;

d) note that the enforcement agencies on the failures to follow those laws are not staffed by a particular party - only about 4,000 political appointees, but 2.1 civilian federal workers;

and lastly
e) will point out that despite your repetition of lack of credibility, you have never managed to explain why or how they were not credible, just thrown your usual denial out there.

Lie, deny, and obfuscate, Ward, because you have zero facts to support you.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 566