Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 567

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 119433 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #915 on: August 17, 2022, 11:09:47 PM »

Alligators are eating people in South Carolina.
Another person was eaten *today*...an 88 yr lady who was gardening and slipped into a pond.
Some wetlands or something.
Where was the fence?
The lady was in some sort of retirement complex.
Totally horrible, and totally preventable.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 11:11:23 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: August 17, 2022, 11:27:29 PM »

You old ladies got to stick together.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #917 on: August 17, 2022, 11:54:38 PM »

You old ladies got to stick together.

LOL
I've been called an "old woman" more than once...for fussing, being particular, doing things the way I want to, having things how I like them
Elderly people in retirement complexes should not be able to be eaten by alligators.
There oughta be a law.
Go woke, go broke.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 18, 2022, 12:09:54 AM »

"Don't go into the pond where the alligator lives."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #919 on: August 18, 2022, 12:10:24 AM »

We have to let the alligators know that DeSantis keeps his office in Tallahassee.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #920 on: August 18, 2022, 10:48:11 AM »

Alligators are eating people in South Carolina.
Another person was eaten *today*...an 88 yr lady who was gardening and slipped into a pond.
Some wetlands or something.
Where was the fence?
The lady was in some sort of retirement complex.
Totally horrible, and totally preventable.

https://youtu.be/u4csFnpZXek

Polk salad Annie, the gators ate your granny...

Elvis explains it for you.
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #921 on: August 18, 2022, 10:58:57 AM »

That's really Tony Joe White's song. Accept no substitutes (even Elvis'):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCSsVvlj6YA

"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: August 18, 2022, 12:08:23 PM »

"Don't go into the pond where the alligator lives."

"Don't go into the ocean. That's the shark's house!"

https://www.newsweek.com/great-white-shark-size-four-wheel-drive-attacks-teen-fishing-1734376

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #923 on: August 18, 2022, 02:43:02 PM »

Didnt see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin afrom the dorsal to the tail. What we didnt know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didnt even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin and hollerin and sometimes that shark he go away, but sometimes he wouldnt go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is hes got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a dolls eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesnt even seem to be livin ... til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then ...ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin.  The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin and your hollerin those sharks come in and
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 02:46:30 PM by Oilcan »
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Holly Martins

« Reply #924 on: August 18, 2022, 03:05:03 PM »

they rip you to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I dont know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Bosuns mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, hed been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin for my turn. I ll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

Anyway, we delivered the bomb

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #925 on: August 18, 2022, 03:23:47 PM »

The trump org is a cess pit according to the mea culpa of its CFO.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #926 on: August 18, 2022, 06:02:38 PM »

they rip you to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I dont know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Bosuns mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, hed been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin for my turn. I ll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

Anyway, we delivered the bomb

Dialogue by John Milius...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #927 on: August 18, 2022, 06:49:44 PM »

I have been seeing photos from the UNICEF camps for refugees around the world, it is horrible, they have tents as far as the eye can see and none of those people can take care of themselves, they are all depending on other people for aid. They cannot even feed themselves.

My advice for the Muslims is to go to Abu Dhabi, and to Dubai, and get a job as an essential worker there, they can support families, and they can have a life. It is better than living at a refugee camp.

For the Christians, they can come help to grow food in the USA, they can grow mustard in Montana, and they can raise pork and beef in Nevada, and they can grow oranges and avocados in California, and they can make wine, etc. In Hollywood the immigrants can live with 10 people in a one bedroom apartment and they can all work at In N Out Burger while they take Acting classes, etc. In Hollywood it is all about serving the tourists, food, sunglasses, theme parks, etc. And meanwhile California has great schools, the immigrants can study while they work serving the tourists. We also need nurses, psychiatrists, and doctors.

Acapulco is a good spot for the refugees too, and Elvis made a movie there. Acapulco is a nice spot, people need to just protect it and make it nice again.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #928 on: August 18, 2022, 06:54:47 PM »

There is quite the debate about that.  Will post something in the Movies thread if I can dredge it up from the web.

Milius is held to be an inspiration for Walter, in The Big Lebowski.  Partly for Milius well known love of toting guns.

The debates about Milius are so fierce that his wikipedia article gets wiped every so often.  Just checked, all the subcategories have been deleted in the past week.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #929 on: August 18, 2022, 08:26:48 PM »

There is quite the debate about that.  Will post something in the Movies thread if I can dredge it up from the web.

Milius is held to be an inspiration for Walter, in The Big Lebowski.  Partly for Milius well known love of toting guns.

The debates about Milius are so fierce that his wikipedia article gets wiped every so often.  Just checked, all the subcategories have been deleted in the past week.

Spielberg clarified who did what in an interview a few years back. I
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 567