Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 566

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 119400 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #945 on: August 22, 2022, 10:47:45 PM »

http://www.vice.com/en/article/3adany/brock-turner-tiktok-ohio-rape

Ohio seems like his kind of place at the moment.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #946 on: August 23, 2022, 03:56:05 AM »

We have a great train station in Anaheim, our train station is all ready to have a high speed train between Anaheim and Las Vegas...

https://www.visitanaheim.org/plan-your-trip/transportation/artic/

Our City takes pride in our train station, it is a nice train station.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #947 on: August 23, 2022, 03:01:54 PM »

It is time for the City of Anaheim to buy the Angels baseball team, the team just announced that they are ready to sell.

The City of Anaheim already owns Angel Stadium, and now would be a great time for the City of Anaheim to buy the Angels baseball team.

Salute,

Tony V.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #948 on: August 23, 2022, 11:59:29 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #949 on: August 24, 2022, 09:50:50 AM »

Hopefully this AP writer gives more detail in the next piece.

What did the "added line" of the warrant say?
What was done post shooting that is now considered a "coverup"?

Thanks in advance, AP.  I am sure LB will pass along your further efforts.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #950 on: August 24, 2022, 11:05:48 AM »

It took two years but Atlanta Police officers were cleared of wrongdoing and are back on active duty.

CNN)
A Georgia special prosecutor announced Tuesday that murder and assault charges will be dismissed against two Atlanta police officers involved in the fatal shooting of Rayshard Brooks in June 2020, saying the officers acted reasonably in response to a deadly threat.

Both acted as reasonable officers would under the facts and circumstances of the events of that night,special prosecutor Peter Skandalakis said. Both acted in accordance with well established law and were justified in the use of force regarding the situation.
The announcement comes two years after Brooks, a 27-year-old Black man, was shot and killed outside a Wendy  restaurant after he fought two officers who tried to arrest him for DUI. During the struggle, Brooks overpowered officers Garrett Rolfe and Devin Brosnan, took a Taser from Brosnan and ran away, according to prosecutors. While fleeing, he turned back and fired the stolen Taser at Rolfe, who then shot Brooks twice, in the back and buttocks, killing him, prosecutors said.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/23/us/rayshard-brooks-atlanta-police-charges/index.html

Holly Martins

« Reply #951 on: August 24, 2022, 12:30:43 PM »

I love those new bullets with the looping backwards trajectory!  You can fire at someone who's facing you and firing a taser, and the bullets circle round and strike their back and buttock.  BTW, is a taser a lethal weapon?  The police keep telling me it's not. 

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #952 on: August 24, 2022, 01:28:55 PM »

I love those new bullets with the looping backwards trajectory!  You can fire at someone who's facing you and firing a taser, and the bullets circle round and strike their back and buttock.  BTW, is a taser a lethal weapon?  The police keep telling me it's not.

Except, of course, the testimony and body camera evidence says those are not the facts.

At 11:23,[20] Rolfe told Brooks: All right, I think you have had too much to drink to be driving. Put your hands behind your back for me [23] he and Brosnan then moved behind Brooks to handcuff him.[18] Brooks tried to break free and he and the officers scuffled on the ground. During the struggle Brosnan drew his taser, but Brooks wrested it from him and fired it [28] Brosnan says the taser contacted him and he struck his head on the pavement, causing a concussion.[24] Brooks stood up and punched Rolfe, who drew his own taser and fired both cartridges at Brooks with no effect.[25] Brooks fled through the parking lot with Brosnan s taser still in hand. While still running, Brooks glanced back, half-turned, and fired the second shot of Brosnan s  taser  capable of two shots before being reloaded[26]  at Rolfe but his aim was high.[19][27]

According to prosecutors, Brooks and Rolfe were 18 feet (5.5 m) apart[29][a] when Rolfe dropped his taser, drew his handgun[19] and shot Brooks once in the midback and once in the buttocks;[30] prosecutors allege the third shot struck a nearby vehicle, narrowly missing its three occupants.[25][28]

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: August 24, 2022, 01:47:20 PM »

So he shot a fleeing suspect in the back, from 18 feet away, when the suspect had what the police officer knew to be an empty, fully discharged taser. Even if a taser was a lethal weapon it no longer was except in a Chinese Lolipop Man sort of way.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 01:49:08 PM by Hairy Lime »
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #954 on: August 24, 2022, 02:21:40 PM »

So he shot a fleeing suspect in the back, from 18 feet away, when the suspect had what the police officer knew to be an empty, fully discharged taser. Even if a taser was a lethal weapon it no longer was except in a Chinese Lolipop Man sort of way.

Meanwhile, they had his car and he was on foot.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #955 on: August 24, 2022, 05:08:52 PM »

Except that none of the witness accounts and video neither  demonstrated nor was credible to anything close to what you described.
Ergo, charges dropped.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #956 on: August 24, 2022, 06:23:48 PM »

"Brooks tried to break free..."

Isn't this how it usually happens?

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: August 24, 2022, 07:31:15 PM »

Are you finally ready to give us the story of how you lost your teeth, Kid?

That is what you meant by usually
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: August 24, 2022, 10:35:41 PM »

So he shot a fleeing suspect in the back, from 18 feet away", when the suspect had what the police officer knew to be an empty, fully discharged taser. Even if a taser was a lethal weapon it no longer was except in a Chinese Lolipop Man sort of way.
Except that none of the witness accounts and video neither  demonstrated nor was credible to anything close to what you described.
That you would say that without pointing to any specific statement i made that is not supported by the snippet of fact you posted is the least surprising thing ever. Because you cannot. In fact, let us do this.

Brooks tried to break free and he and the officers scuffled on the ground. During the struggle Brosnan drew his taser, but Brooks wrested it from him and fired it [28]
That is one for the two shots in the taser.
Brosnan says the taser contacted him and he struck his head on the pavement, causing a concussion.[24] Brooks stood up and punched Rolfe, who drew his own taser and fired both cartridges at Brooks with no effect.[25] Brooks fled
"So he shot a fleeing suspect"

...through the parking lot with Brosnan s taser still in hand. While still running,
Still fleeing.
Brooks glanced back, half-turned,
Again, still fleeing.
and fired the second shot of Brosnan s  taser  capable of two shots before being reloaded[26]
The second shot meant the taser was unloaded. As I wrote, "when the suspect had what the police officer knew to be an empty, fully discharged taser. Even if a taser was a lethal weapon it no longer was except in a Chinese Lolipop Man sort of way." Now, the lolipop man bit is an In Bruges reference for Bart, but the point is, without a charge the taser is only a weapon in a blunt force trauma way.

at Rolfe but his aim was high.[19][27]

According to prosecutors, Brooks and Rolfe were 18 feet (5.5 m) apart[29][a]
"from 18 feet away" which means the taser could not even be used to strike Rolfe.

when Rolfe dropped his taser,
"what the police officer knew to be an empty, fully discharged taser." Rolfe knew it had only two shots. That is why he dropped his. 

drew his handgun[19] and shot Brooks once in the midback and once in the buttocks;[30]
"So he shot a fleeing suspect in the back". You cannot shoot someone in the midback or butt except from behind, meaning Brooks was either still fleeing, or had stopped,.which would be worse for the cop. I chose the more favorable presumption.

prosecutors allege the third shot struck a nearby vehicle, narrowly missing its three occupants.[25][28]
I realize you will not admit it, but every single thing I wrote was factual supported by the very quote you posted.
Ergo, charges dropped.
Indeed they were. And that is the problem. Prosecutors do not pursue use of force charges against police, leaving them unaccountable.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 10:39:37 PM by Hairy Lime »
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #959 on: August 24, 2022, 10:54:21 PM »

"Brooks tried to break free..."

Isn't this how it usually happens?

Why not just give him a ticket and let him walk home? They had his car. They had his personal info. They verified a relative lived up the block where he could crash.

Nah.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 566