Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 566

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 119346 times)

Oiled

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #1485 on: October 05, 2022, 02:37:11 PM »

Jesus was a Commie!

I think it's time for Gulf states and the peninsula to recognize that living on a beach or anywhere on a barrier island is asking for it.  If you are wealthy and want to keep rebuilding, on your own dime, every time your house turns to toothpicks, have at it, but you shouldn't ask taxpayers to fund your idiocy.  Tax money should be helping poorer folk in Dunbar, rather than one percenters on Sanibel. 
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: October 05, 2022, 03:13:27 PM »

Jesus was a Commie!

I think it's time for Gulf states and the peninsula to recognize that living on a beach or anywhere on a barrier island is asking for it.  If you are wealthy and want to keep rebuilding, on your own dime, every time your house turns to toothpicks, have at it, but you shouldn't ask taxpayers to fund your idiocy.  Tax money should be helping poorer folk in Dunbar, rather than one percenters on Sanibel.
Rebuilding mansions requires adequate insurance coverage which the one per centers pay handsomely for. Utilities and causeways, etc, are for everyone, rich or poor, hence the need for government funds which  use tax money the one per centers also pay for at much higher rates.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: October 05, 2022, 03:24:01 PM »

Jesus was a Commie!
The apostles certainly were. After all, the gave us from each according to their ability to each according to their need.

Having been there many times let me just stand up for the relative economic diversity of Sanibel.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Holly Martins

« Reply #1488 on: October 05, 2022, 03:31:14 PM »

https://twitter.com/christianwalk1r/status/1577284445367042049

Walker's family clearly doesn't trust him or believe his lies.  A tad incoherent at times, but I thought this kid's take was spot on.

Holly Martins

« Reply #1489 on: October 05, 2022, 03:50:33 PM »

Jesus was a Commie!

Rebuilding mansions requires adequate insurance coverage which the one per centers pay handsomely for. Utilities and causeways, etc, are for everyone, rich or poor, hence the need for government funds which  use tax money the one per centers also pay for at much higher rates.

So?  None of that negates the point that humble Dunbar should be getting the help that more scenic and affluent places are getting.  No one is questioning bridges and power lines.  But homes may have to move inland.  Building mansions that keep washing into the sea is wasteful.  Insurance underwriters are already pulling out of low lying areas.  Beaches on a barrier island are great, but those residents who serve the frolicking tourists need safer dwellings away from the shore.  Happy if working class people get help, but subsidizing views for the rich is not where taxes should be going.  We already proscribe building submersible houses along many rivers, where people are disallowed from building in flood plains.  Time to recognize that many shores in Florida are similar hazard areas.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 03:52:58 PM by Bart »

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: October 05, 2022, 04:02:02 PM »

Jesus was a Commie!

So?  None of that negates the point that humble Dunbar should be getting the help that more scenic and affluent places are getting.  No one is questioning bridges and power lines.  But homes may have to move inland.  Building mansions that keep washing into the sea is wasteful.  Insurance underwriters are already pulling out of low lying areas.  Beaches on a barrier island are great, but those residents who serve the frolicking tourists need safer dwellings away from the shore.  Happy if working class people get help, but subsidizing views for the rich is not where taxes should be going.  We already proscribe building submersible houses along many rivers, where people are disallowed from building in flood plains.  Time to recognize that many shores in Florida are similar hazard areas.
Comeback sometime when you are sober.
Choosing a barrier Island( or Marthas Vinyard) to live in or play at is an individual choice an adds  to the diversity of lifestyles , not to mention jobs and livelihoods.
If they are hazards to you stay inSouth Dakota.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1491 on: October 05, 2022, 04:58:22 PM »

Jesus was a Commie!

Comeback sometime when you are sober.
Choosing a barrier Island( or Marthas Vinyard) to live in or play at is an individual choice an adds  to the diversity of lifestyles , not to mention jobs and livelihoods.
If they are hazards to you stay inSouth Dakota.

I guess you missed the part about the Florida property insurance industry imploding before Ian?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Holly Martins

« Reply #1492 on: October 05, 2022, 07:33:29 PM »

He never argues with the point actually made.   No one said someone couldn't choose to live on a barrier island or flood plain.  Just that governments or insurers should not underwrite it, over and over.  Sure, someone who likes to gamble can put a temporary dwelling someplace that gets blasted with God's powerwasher every few years, and duck the whole permitting procedure.  And they should assume the risk for that lifestyle.

And LOL Ward suddenly championing "the diversity of lifestyles," as if he's ever championed anything other than soft landings for the monied class. 

One alternative to endless rebuilding of flood/storm damaged properties:

https://e360.yale.edu/features/waterfront-retreat-a-bay-community-faces-rising-seas-and-buyouts

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: October 05, 2022, 07:53:10 PM »

So....

about this Georgia abortion clinic overcharging.......

700 bucks?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: October 05, 2022, 08:18:22 PM »

When he was avoiding the land mines of his personal Viet Nam, Trump never paid that much
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: October 05, 2022, 08:24:32 PM »

He never argues with the point actually made.   No one said someone couldn't choose to live on a barrier island or flood plain.  Just that governments or insurers should not underwrite it, over and over. 
To the point.  Why not?   The expense of that structure being destroyed by nature is borne by the owner and his insurance Company.
The government  has the power to deny building.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 08:28:47 PM by Espnthree »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: October 05, 2022, 09:28:19 PM »

What I learnt from Youtube today:

Take important photos with a camera-SD card as well as with your phone...because if you put your phone in for repair the shop might damage your phone and your photos could be lost forever.
Go woke, go broke.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1497 on: October 05, 2022, 11:32:42 PM »

So....

about this Georgia abortion clinic overcharging.......

700 bucks?

It was like 500 and change. The 700 is from the personal check he wrote to reimburse the girlfriend with a dollop of sweetener added.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1498 on: October 05, 2022, 11:34:07 PM »

He never argues with the point actually made.   No one said someone couldn't choose to live on a barrier island or flood plain.  Just that governments or insurers should not underwrite it, over and over. 
To the point.  Why not?   The expense of that structure being destroyed by nature is borne by the owner and his insurance Company.
The government  has the power to deny building.

Not everyone has a manse on the beach. Folks a mile inland can not get coverage

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1499 on: October 05, 2022, 11:36:30 PM »

What I learnt from Youtube today:

Take important photos with a camera-SD card as well as with your phone...because if you put your phone in for repair the shop might damage your phone and your photos could be lost forever.

What I know is take my photos on my phone and upload them to my iCloud account.

Though I must say YouTube came in handy when I repaired my front loading washing machine a while back.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 566