Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 566

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 119412 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #1515 on: October 06, 2022, 11:37:14 AM »

He never argues with the point actually made.   No one said someone couldn't choose to live on a barrier island or flood plain.  Just that governments or insurers should not underwrite it, over and over. 
To the point.  Why not?   The expense of that structure being destroyed by nature is borne by the owner and his insurance Company.
The government  has the power to deny building.

Not everyone has a manse on the beach. Folks a mile inland can not get coverage
It is worth noting that the vast majority of people who live in areas prone to flooding in this country are poor.
People choose where they want to live.
In much the same way rich and poor people can choose to live in their cars.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: October 06, 2022, 11:55:25 AM »

Karl Marx and his merry band of commies were a menace.
Previously-hereditary properties had to be purchased by the inheritors...as one example.

Go woke, go broke.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: October 06, 2022, 11:55:34 AM »

He never argues with the point actually made.   No one said someone couldn't choose to live on a barrier island or flood plain.  Just that governments or insurers should not underwrite it, over and over. 
To the point.  Why not?   The expense of that structure being destroyed by nature is borne by the owner and his insurance Company.

It is worth noting that the vast majority of people who live in areas prone to flooding in this country are poor.
How is that?

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: October 06, 2022, 12:00:54 PM »

Previously-hereditary properties had to be purchased by the inheritors...as one example.
Hereditary wealth has been responsible for the creation of more useless idiots than anything outside of Republicans fucking.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: October 06, 2022, 12:04:10 PM »

How is that?
Work it out for yourself, Neville. Start with finding one rich person and one poor person who live in their car and ask them why they chose to live there.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: October 06, 2022, 01:06:56 PM »

That sounds like a winning policy that should be brought back for large estates. I will write to my congressperson immediately.

Thanks Bambi. You are occasionally struck by good ideas that then carom right over your head.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Holly Martins

« Reply #1521 on: October 06, 2022, 06:04:59 PM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2022/10/inflation-reduction-act-climate-economy/671659/

An optimist view of the coming clean energy economy.  A Credit Suisse research paper looks at how the IRA could bring more change in the next four years than in the past forty.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 06:08:40 PM by Bart »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: October 06, 2022, 06:13:55 PM »

Hereditary wealth has been responsible for the creation of more useless idiots than anything outside of Republicans fucking.

Americans over the generations have worked very hard in very difficult situations to save enough money to provide a home by way of mortgage for their families, save enough money to send their kids to college, and upon their death leave by way of will whatever assets they have to their children so the children can have a better life than they had.

The alternative is.....young people in America seeing no point in hard work and trying to save money for the future of themselves and any family they might have...as the leftist communist system would take *all* their income for the state.

Then instead of young Americans having incentives to work hard and save money for the future...they'd see no future, no hope.
Yes, instead of smart young people studying hard and working hard...there could well be a nation of young drug-addicted lay-abouts.
Go woke, go broke.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: October 06, 2022, 06:30:42 PM »

Americans over the generations have worked very hard in very difficult situations to save enough money to provide a home by way of mortgage for their families, save enough money to send their kids to college, and upon their death leave by way of will whatever assets they have to their children so the children can have a better life than they had.

The alternative is.....young people in America seeing no point in hard work and trying to save money for the future of themselves and any family they might have...as the leftist communist system would take *all* their income for the state.

Then instead of young Americans having incentives to work hard and save money for the future...they'd see no future, no hope.
Yes, instead of smart young people studying hard and working hard...there could well be a nation of young drug-addicted lay-abouts.

We need to respect an education. And people who train for management positions need to be paid more than those without training.

My father worked for the Los Angeles County Road Department when I was born, and they made him a manager and they sent him to study Business at Pepperdine in Malibu. The LA County Road Department valued management training and so they sent my Father to college, they paid for everything, he got a free education from the Road Department.

And when I worked at Universal Studios, I had a college degree and years of work experience working with the public and with the stars, they should have paid me a lot of money, I should have at least earned enough for an apartment and food, and it was not like I was working helping orphans, I was working for a giant Japanese corporation, they were making a lot of money from the work that I did, I should have earned enough for an apartment and food. Jobs like that need to pay fair. I would work for free for the Catholic Church to help orphans, but I am not going to work for free for wealthy Japanese corporations.

And now the secret is to learn how to make money working from home, if you have a home then you can have a home office.

And I wrote a poetry book and a movie script, and I am still learning. I value what I learned, and I want to continue to learn. I want to go to workshops at the film school, etc, and I want to learn more. And I want to go to work in the Entertainment Industry as a writer, and producer, and maybe as an actor, we will see, you are never too old to act.

I also support labor unions, and every area needs a Wellness Center and a Mental Health Association.

And if you are honest, and if you work hard, then you should not be poor and homeless. We need to make the companies pay the workers enough so that the workers can afford food and shelter.

We also need to build good affordable high density apartments like in Santorini, Greece. With tennis courts and swimming pools.

I support building housing for all people. We need to put the workers to work building housing.

Salute,

Tony V.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: October 06, 2022, 06:32:34 PM »

That sounds like a winning policy that should be brought back for large estates. I will write to my congressperson immediately.

Thanks Bambi. You are occasionally struck by good ideas that then carom right over your head.

My young Lutheran maternal ancestor in Prussia, and his ilk, in the 1800s, decided they weren't going to suffer Marx and his ilk's communist [b ]"work all day for not much pay only to have the state take everything when you die" [/b] oppression, and boarded the ships for Adelaide, South Australia.
There they worked hard, farmed the land, grew the grapes, opened produce markets, had large families, and prospered.
Their descendants can be seen there today, doing the same things, living the same lives...on the land their ancestors purchased.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 06:46:35 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

Holly Martins

« Reply #1525 on: October 06, 2022, 06:36:45 PM »

Eeyore?  Is that you?

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: October 06, 2022, 08:27:53 PM »

Bambu, instead of everyone sitting around using heroin, then instead we should be like Athens, and Rome, and people can read books in gardens while drinking the finest wines, and while smoking the best pot, etc, and the people can cure cancer, and they can solve all of our problems. We can sit around and smoke a joint and drink a glass of wine and try to figure out how to cure cancer. Like Greece, and Rome. 

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #1527 on: October 06, 2022, 09:30:48 PM »

Here's one way that housing is becoming more available - YIMBY and the ADU.  Facilitat and Tony live where this great trend is happening.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/10/california-accessory-dwelling-units-legalization-yimby/671648/

In short, merely legalizing ADUs triggered a boom in affordable housing at no cost to the taxpayer....

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: October 06, 2022, 09:54:43 PM »

My young Lutheran maternal ancestor in Prussia, and his ilk, in the 1800s, decided they weren't going to suffer Marx and his ilk's communist [b ]"work all day for not much pay only to have the state take everything when you die" [/b] oppression, and boarded the ships for Adelaide, South Australia.
There they worked hard, farmed the land, grew the grapes, opened produce markets, had large families, and prospered.
Their descendants can be seen there today, doing the same things, living the same lives...on the land their ancestors purchased.

Now you are poor as fuck and entirety useless.

Someone along the line of your family clearly fucked up quite badly.

Probably could have done with a bit more Marx.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: October 06, 2022, 10:00:12 PM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2022/10/inflation-reduction-act-climate-economy/671659/

An optimist view of the coming clean energy economy.  A Credit Suisse research paper looks at how the IRA could bring more change in the next four years than in the past forty.

And why is a clean energy economy essential?

It is not only because of fossil fuels.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/10/02/us/solar-babcock-ranch-florida-hurricane-ian-climate/index.html

This community in Florida got hit by Ian and did not lose power.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 566