Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 566

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 119365 times)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #3030 on: March 07, 2023, 10:45:27 PM »

One of my heroes here in Anaheim is Chef Bruno who feeds thousands of plates of pasta to poor children every night.

https://youtu.be/SzFGPAnZnOA

And as they feed the children, they help the families, and they get the children out of the cheap motels and out of the bad housing and they get the children and their families into nice apartments and they help them, and then the City buys the bad housing and demolishes it so that it can be replaced by nice housing and nice businesses, etc. We are redeveloping the City and we are cleaning up the bad areas and we are trying to make it nice, and Chef Bruno helps by feeding the children and by helping to get the children into nice housing so that the bad housing can be destroyed and the areas can be redeveloped.

Chef Bruno has a book "The Power of Pasta" and the money earned from selling his book goes to help to feed pasta to poor children.

Chef Bruno came here from Italy as a waiter and a dishwasher, now he owns the best restaurant in Anaheim, and he feeds the poor children. Former President George W. Bush has eaten at Bruno's restaurant, and so has Gwen Stefani, along with many other great people. The American Dream is alive and well with Chef Bruno.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: March 07, 2023, 11:20:39 PM »

The Metro is adding 300 Ambassadors to help travelers, they will answer questions, and they will help people, and they will help to keep the peace and they will call the police if necessary, etc. They are not replacing police and security guards, they are simply accentuating what already exists.

https://www.loscerritosnews.net/2023/03/06/l-a-metro-launches-new-ambassador-pilot-program-to-help-improve-riders-experience/

The new Ambassadors can help to improve the experience for tourists, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: March 08, 2023, 02:54:43 AM »

Sky News:

NYC's $4 Billion migrant crisis.

#####

Wonder if the Democrats in the NY blue state think "open borders" is a good thing now?
Go woke, go broke.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: March 08, 2023, 07:41:45 AM »

Sky News:

NYC's $4 Billion migrant crisis.

#####

Wonder if the Democrats in the NY blue state think "open borders" is a good thing now?
They never did. You have been lied to.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: March 08, 2023, 11:08:03 AM »

How can y'all be concerned over such petty issues while Toblerone is moving its production from Switzerland to Bratislava??

Was one of my few candy based vices in my youth.  Removing the "Swissness" seems dangerous and overly focused on the bottom line.

(had to edit.  the registered trademark symbol after Swissness chopped itself and the following text off.  )
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 11:10:24 AM by Oilcan »
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: March 08, 2023, 11:27:07 AM »

How can y'all be concerned over such petty issues while Toblerone is moving its production from Switzerland to Bratislava??

Was one of my few candy based vices in my youth.  Removing the "Swissness" seems dangerous and overly focused on the bottom line.

(had to edit.  the registered trademark symbol after Swissness chopped itself and the following text off.  )
An answer to my prayer: Dear God please do not let me die (of complications from diabetes) at the hands of the Swiss.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: March 08, 2023, 12:06:09 PM »

Heh. 

My metabolism occasionally drew thinly veiled hatred when I was young.  I would snarf towering cliffs of mashed potatoes drowning in gravy, groaning platters of pasta slick with olive oil and coated with a La Nina snowfall of parmesan cheese, bags of macadamia nuts (still a vice, the queen of nuts), Toblerone, Reese PB cups, oatmeal with huge dollops of peanut butter mixed in, tacos with pints of guacamole, etc. and still be a wiry 145 pounds. 

Only years later did a coworker, a PhD in food science, explain to me the paradox of fatty foods - fats create longer-term satiation and reduce craving carbs/sugars.  Fats stabilize insulin response, being slow-release in the gut.  They transport flavor, which also enhances the feeling you have been well fed.   

So die happily at the hands of Slovaks or whoever your lipid supplier may be.

Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: March 08, 2023, 12:41:21 PM »

A lot of bread
And tons of meat
Oodles of butter
And something sweet!

Gallons of coffee
To wash it down
Bicarbonate of soda
By the pound!

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: March 08, 2023, 01:07:42 PM »

I thought of a new organization called "Trading Places" and it could help Americans who want to go live in Europe, and it can help Europeans who want to come live in America.

For instance, if there was a guy in Rome who wanted to come live in Anaheim by Disneyland then we could trade places, he could come live in my apartment here in Anaheim, and I could go live in his apartment in Rome, we can trade apartments.

It still would not help on the issue of a job and money, but it would help on the issue of housing.

Salute,

Tony V.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: March 08, 2023, 01:14:58 PM »

Do you think that's a new idea?  There was even a dreadful Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz movie that featured it.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: March 08, 2023, 01:16:32 PM »

I thought of a new organization called "Trading Places" and it could help Americans who want to go live in Europe, and it can help Europeans who want to come live in America.

For instance, if there was a guy in Rome who wanted to come live in Anaheim by Disneyland then we could trade places, he could come live in my apartment here in Anaheim, and I could go live in his apartment in Rome, we can trade apartments.

It still would not help on the issue of a job and money, but it would help on the issue of housing.

Salute,

Tony V.
I think I saw that movie. Michael Fassbender played Kate Winslet s brother. Or something like that.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: March 08, 2023, 01:24:41 PM »

Do you think that's a new idea?  There was even a dreadful Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz movie that featured it.

Never saw the movie, and I guess it could very well be an old idea, I just never knew about it.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: March 08, 2023, 01:33:10 PM »

On the issue of refugees, the people from Ukraine are mostly staying in Europe.

https://newrepublic.com/article/165670/ukraine-refugee-resettlement-us-immigration

I am sure the people of Europe see pictures of the United States with homeless people all over the side-walks, and I doubt the USA looks very attractive to refugees from Ukraine, so they are just staying in Europe.

If it were up to me I would clean the USA up and put everyone to work, and bring back the American Dream, but people want for the American Dream to die, they want for people to just stay in their home nations. They do not want people to be attracted to some fantasy life in the United States that no longer exists.

We do not need homeless people from the Ukraine all over our side-walks with the other homeless people.

The refugees from Ukraine are better off to stay in Europe.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: March 08, 2023, 02:04:47 PM »

When the Mexicans come to California then they are coming here to work, and they join the United Farm Workers and they help to grow food and they do extremely hard manual labor, etc, etc, etc. They have hard lives, but they have their families, and they have their communities, and the life they have in California doing hard labor is better than what they left behind.

But, the people from Ukraine are not like the Mexicans, the Mexicans will work 16 hours per day for minimum wage while living on beans and while sharing a 1 bedroom apartment with 10 people.

It is very hard in the USA right now, it is best for the refugees from Ukraine to stay in Europe.

As people gain employment with our new Infrastructure Act then that will help, but the USA is still a very hard nation to work and buy a home in.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: March 08, 2023, 02:24:36 PM »

Times have changed, and America has changed, if we were the way we are today back then then we never would have put a man on the moon, and as a nation we were desperate to put a man on the moon before the Russians, not only did we want to put a man on the moon, but we wanted to do it before the Russians. Now, no one would even care. And Elon Musk is not a real American, he is South African. People are not going to rally behind Elon Musk the same way that people rallied behind John F. Kennedy.

Our Space Program was great at one time. I look at pictures of our old astronauts from our space program and it makes me proud, those were good wholesome heroes who the kids could have as role models.

I had a step dad who was a supervisor on the Space Shuttle Program, he was an abusive asshole, but it was great to be around all of the people from the Shuttle Program, and to get to go spend time in Cape Canaveral in Florida, it was great. Our Shuttle program was fun, and it made me proud as an American.

But there is no pride anymore, and no one gives a shit about Elon Musk.

I guess we are entering a world where we can do space projects as an international team of scientists, etc, and it does not need to be a source of National Pride like when we sent men to the moon. We can work together as a team with the Chinese and others to put men on Mars, etc. And I do not like Elon Musk, and he is not an American, but it does not matter anymore, times have changed, and the space program is no longer about being a source of National Pride.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 02:36:04 PM by FlyingVProd »
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 566