Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 566

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 119340 times)

Espnthree

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #3330 on: March 29, 2023, 08:44:02 PM »

Quote from: EspDickWad

A conversation should proceed but dwell on facts, not opinions that were not well researched.

You mean facts like this, from the WaPo piece you linked (which I actually read)?

The AR15s mechanics, which allow shooters to easily fire bullets at a high velocity in rapid succession, make the weapon lethal and destructive.
As are all guns.
When the bullets penetrate the body, they create a blast effect that blows up organs and pulverizes bones. The weapon s power magnifies the impact of gun violence, both because of the number of victims and, for survivors, the longlasting effects on physical and mental health. In Sutherland Springs, Tex., where more than two dozen people were killed during an eight minute rampage in 2017, the additional 20 people injured continue to grapple with debilitating, lifelong conditions such as paralysis or infertility
Thousands victims who survived hand gun shootings have similar stories.
FBI statistics show 59% of the gun murders and non-negligent manslaughters for which data is available involve hand guns. Rifles, the category that includes guns sometimes referred to as assault weapons, were involved in 3% of firearm murders.
So why is Whoopi Goldberg so bent on banning the AR 15 which was not used in the Nashville shootings?
She further muddies her argument by stating that the weapon is useless in hunting because it destroys the animal. Which is absurd. The two and a half million hunters using AR15s do so because it is a superior hunting rifle to a bolt action one.
But the point of my previous point is we cannot  have a serious discussion if we do not present facts.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 10:06:15 PM by Espnthree »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: March 29, 2023, 09:36:29 PM »

Insert entrance and exit wound gallery here. Restricted possession and use under an active insurance policy or not at all.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Walter Sobchak

• View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: March 29, 2023, 09:39:52 PM »

FBI statistics show 59% of the gun murders and non-negligent manslaughters for which data is available involve hand guns. Rifles, the category that includes guns sometimes referred to as assault weapons, were involved in 3% of firearm murders.

59 plus 3 equals 62.  What are the remaining 38 pecent which apparently are neither handguns nor rifles?

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: March 29, 2023, 10:04:27 PM »

59 plus 3 equals 62.  What are the remaining 38 pecent which apparently are neither handguns nor rifles?
Shotguns were involved in 1%. The remainder of gun homicides and non-negligent manslaughters (36%) involved other kinds of firearms or those classified as type not stated.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: March 30, 2023, 02:10:48 AM »

Your hands are still a little warm and lively but I am willing to trust your progress and be patient, for the children.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: March 30, 2023, 11:54:20 AM »

Whether assault type rifles are three or thirty percent of homicides, their impact on the level of public terror is large because their use is seen so often in mass shootings.  So why not make them harder for loonies and troubled youth to own, and limit magazine capacity, and bolster background checks, and so on?  Usually when something is responsible for three percent of a death rate, society acts on that.  We don't say, "oh, only three percent of falls from high rooftops are due to no guardrails.  Cool, no need to require them." 
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: March 30, 2023, 01:07:25 PM »

Whether assault type rifles are three or thirty percent of homicides, their impact on the level of public terror is large because their use is seen so often in mass shootings.
ALL types of guns are used in  shootings , regardless of the classifications. Handguns, in terms of numbers of people killed are, by far, the weapon of choice.  The killer in Nashville used a carbine rifle but immediately the media and the President zeroed in on banning the the AR 15, a gun that happens to be very popular with millions of Americans who use it for protection, hunting, and recreation.

So why not make them harder for loonies and troubled youth to own, and limit magazine capacity, and bolster background checks, and so on?
How do you do that in a country that protects individual rights? What constitutes a definition of
loonies, troubled youth? In the Nashville case we are told the killer left a detailed account of her motive.
Why is it still not published?

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: March 30, 2023, 01:19:54 PM »

Whether assault type rifles are three or thirty percent of homicides, their impact on the level of public terror is large because their use is seen so often in mass shootings.
ALL types of guns are used in  shootings , regardless of the classifications. Handguns, in terms of numbers of people killed are, by far, the weapon of choice.  The killer in Nashville used a carbine rifle but immediately the media and the President zeroed in on banning the the AR 15, a gun that happens to be very popular with millions of Americans who use it for protection, hunting, and recreation.

So why not make them harder for loonies and troubled youth to own, and limit magazine capacity, and bolster background checks, and so on?
How do you do that in a country that protects individual rights? What constitutes a definition of
loonies, troubled youth? In the Nashville case we are told the killer left a detailed account of her motive.

Anyone hunting with an AR-15 has no intention of eating their hunt.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: March 30, 2023, 01:20:57 PM »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: March 30, 2023, 02:01:06 PM »

The second amendment lays out a collective right granted to states. There is no individual right to bear arms. It is a fiction propagated by murderous bastards and profiteers bent on destroying the United States one school, mall and church at a time.

It is no surprise Red gets that wrong.

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: March 30, 2023, 02:20:55 PM »

The second amendment lays out a collective right granted to states. There is no individual right to bear arms. It is a fiction propagated by murderous bastards and profiteers bent on destroying the United States one school, mall and church at a time.

What if Trump took over by force after the next election and declared himself President with his followers acting as his army, and what if the police and military all supported Trump, even though we know Trump stole the election by force, and what if we had to go to war against Trump and his followers in order to get our nation back?

We need to all be able to own guns, and we all need freedom of speech, and we need freedom to assemble, etc.

The people need to be able to have the power to stop evil people like Trump from trying to take over by force.

And we had a riot here in Anaheim because some asshole cops killed George Floyd on the other side of the nation, I had nothing to do with the killing of George Floyd but I am at risk because I am a White man and they want to punish all White people for what some asshole White cops did on the other side of the nation. When the rioters come to my home to punish me for being White, then I want to be able to own a gun with a lot of rounds of ammunition to fight back against the rioters and to protect myself and my home. If a Civil War breaks out in the USA then I want to be able to fight back and defend myself. I refuse to be punished for what cops did on the other side of the nation, just because I am White does not mean I support what the scumbag asshole cops did on the other side of the nation.

We need to be able to protect ourselves and our families, from guys like Trump, and from racists, and from riots, etc.

On the issue of the schools, the schools need to all have armed security and fences and gates, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 02:23:02 PM by FlyingVProd »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: March 30, 2023, 02:33:50 PM »

I also support all people being able to own guns for home protection.

There are a lot of criminals who break the law and who do not care about the cops, and we need to be able to protect our homes and we need to be able to protect our families, etc.

And for women, the women need to be able to own guns to protect themselves, and a single Mom has a right to protect herself and her children.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: March 30, 2023, 02:56:42 PM »

Because the investigaion is ongoing.

Though I am glad to see you arguing for enacting common sense gun regulations that go beyond assault rifles.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: March 30, 2023, 03:00:03 PM »

Well the Supreme Court got it wrong too, then.  And that's not likely to be overturned short of repealing the second amendment   There's plenty that can be done (even Heller allows for it) and Congress, if it ever found the intestinal fortitude, can do so, but refighting the individual right vs. collective right battle is a colossal waste of time. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: March 30, 2023, 03:05:52 PM »

There are scumbag criminals who do not care about anyone, they commit crimes and they go to prison and they lift weights and they have gay sex in prison, they get big and strong and they cover themselves with tattoos, and they pride themselves on being violent. They are sex offenders, and they abuse women, etc, etc, etc, and they do not care. They do not believe in God, they do not have any guiding principle other than just being violent criminal assholes. And we need to be able to own guns to protect ourselves from the criminals and from the criminal gangs.

And in Mexico, the good people need to be able to own and carry guns to protect themselves from the cartels. We should not fear the cartels, but rather the cartels should fear us. A gun turns you from being hunted, into being the hunter, like the Van Halen song says.

We need to be able to protect ourselves and our families from violent criminals and gangs, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 566