Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 566

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 119423 times)

Oiled

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #3405 on: April 03, 2023, 09:13:07 PM »

""Accidental death" by guns is the fault of the parents and friends allowing children access to their guns or being careless themselves."

And?  This will somehow go away with the addition of more guns to the mix?   Just say "I don't care".  It's much easier and more honest.
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: April 03, 2023, 11:35:43 PM »

""Accidental death" by guns is the fault of the parents and friends allowing children access to their guns or being careless themselves."

And?  This will somehow go away with the addition of more guns to the mix?   Just say "I don't care".  It's much easier and more honest.

I do care, but I also care about innocent victims whose horror could be prevented by carrying a gun.

Thousands of students, parents, caregivers and concerned Tennesseans marched Monday to the state capitol demanding action to gun laws in response to the Covenant School shooting.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2023/04/03/nashville-shooting-latest-updates-protests-tennessee-gun-law/70073429007/

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: April 03, 2023, 11:39:51 PM »

The House chamber fell into chaos as Republican Rep. Andrew Farmer, R-Sevierville, introduced the first resolution, which called for Pearson's expulsion. Protestors screamed from the galleries above. Pearson raised his fist in protest, and House Democrats raised their hands to object.

Amid the chaos, House Speaker Cameron Sexton, R-Crossville, called for the vote, and the resolution passed with overwhelming support from the Republican supermajority. All three resolutions passed in a party-line vote of 72 to 23. Democrats will have little power to block expulsions on Thursday.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2023/04/03/tennessee-republicans-file-resolutions-to-expel-three-democrats-who-led-gun-reform-chants-on-house-f/70078002007/

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: April 04, 2023, 01:31:55 AM »

Honesty:
US Dept of Justice report:
     . 38% of assaults & 60% of rapes occur during home invasions.
     . Over 2.000.000 homes will experience a break in or burglary this year.
There are over 4,500 home burglaries a day in the US.
The average number of home invasions per year was 1.030,000 between 1994 and 2010.

According to the FB1, the US Dept of Justice, and other reputable sources, in the US:
. One property crime happens every 4 seconds.
. One burglary occurs every 20 seconds.
. One violent crime occurs every 25 seconds.
. One aggravated assault occurs every 90 seconds.
. One robbery occurs every 90 seconds.
. One rape or attempted rape occurs every 5 minutes.

#####

I'd say that Americans rushing to buy guns have had enough of being victims of, well, 'the bad people'.
You and yours might not have encountered them, but other Americans sure have/are.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 07:08:48 AM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: April 04, 2023, 02:24:28 AM »

I do care, but I also care about innocent victims whose horror could be prevented by carrying a gun.

Thousands of students, parents, caregivers and concerned Tennesseans marched Monday to the state capitol demanding action to gun laws in response to the Covenant School shooting.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2023/04/03/nashville-shooting-latest-updates-protests-tennessee-gun-law/70073429007/

From the link:

"Gov Bill Lee said Friday he would propose a measure to increase school security measures statewide....."

It is the answer.
Go woke, go broke.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: April 04, 2023, 08:06:01 AM »

I support the all you can eat sushi buffet.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/teppanyaki-grill-supreme-buffet-anaheim

Get stoned, and go eat sushi with all of your best friends. That is what Goldie and Kurt would do. We need to promote peace and love.

Salute.

Tony V.
Too bad it is getting shut down due ro all the raccoons.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: April 04, 2023, 08:23:49 AM »

The House chamber fell into chaos as Republican Rep. Andrew Farmer, R-Sevierville, introduced the first resolution, which called for Pearson's expulsion. Protestors screamed from the galleries above. Pearson raised his fist in protest, and House Democrats raised their hands to object.

Amid the chaos, House Speaker Cameron Sexton, R-Crossville, called for the vote, and the resolution passed with overwhelming support from the Republican supermajority. All three resolutions passed in a party-line vote of 72 to 23. Democrats will have little power to block expulsions on Thursday.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2023/04/03/tennessee-republicans-file-resolutions-to-expel-three-democrats-who-led-gun-reform-chants-on-house-f/70078002007/
Right wing cancel culture.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: April 04, 2023, 09:12:33 AM »

You and yours might not have encountered them, but other Americans sure have/are.

I suppose that's also easy for an individual living in a basement 6,000 miles away, and without children, to say.

"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: April 04, 2023, 09:44:32 AM »

[Tennessee] House leadership later likened the trio s behavior to an insurrection, a characterization House Democrats decried... 

When three legislators leading a gun law reform chant in the gallery is painted as insurrection, you've reached the Orwellian stage of word redefinition.   What a sad and desperate lot the GOP has become.
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: April 04, 2023, 01:35:13 PM »

18 inches of snow up here.  What TS  Eliot said about April was optimistic.

At least we knew what was coming here - stores and streets were packed yesterday with people (me included) laying in extra supplies and getting errands run before the city shut down. 

Kennst du das Land wo die Zitronen bluhen?

Know you the land where the lemon trees bloom?

In the dark foliage the gold oranges glow; the myrtle is still and the laurel stands tall

Do you know it well? There, there, I would go, O my beloved, with thee

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: April 04, 2023, 01:43:04 PM »

I suppose that's also easy for an individual living in a basement 6,000 miles away, and without children, to say.

Whatever.
Good Americans need guns, because the govt can't protect them from all the things I listed.
Good Americans want guns, to protect themselves...and who can blame them for that.
Go woke, go broke.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: April 04, 2023, 01:52:03 PM »

I'm a Good American and I have no interest in guns.  I think Good Americans have a right to own guns, but are mature enough to know that life is not a fictional movie like Rambo or Death Wish.  I also believe good (and mature) Americans also acknowledge the fact that owning one means that somebody you know and care about is far more likely to die from the use of that weapon than is a "bad person lurking in the shadows."
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: April 04, 2023, 02:12:22 PM »

But are you the kind of American who shows up in Bambis YouTube feed?
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: April 04, 2023, 02:28:23 PM »

I'm a Good American and I have no interest in guns.  I think Good Americans have a right to own guns, but are mature enough to know that life is not a fictional movie like Rambo or Death Wish.  I also believe good (and mature) Americans also acknowledge the fact that owning one means that somebody you know and care about is far more likely to die from the use of that weapon than is a "bad person lurking in the shadows."

Point taken.
The best route is to ban all guns, except bolt action rifles on farms...said guns required to be kept in gun safes with the ammunition stored separately.
Strict licensing and inspection.

Is that achievable in America?   
There'd have to be a workable govt buy-back scheme...would cost a fortune.
Would the People vote for it though.

Go woke, go broke.
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 566