Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 567

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 119449 times)

LarryB!

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #3450 on: April 06, 2023, 04:15:49 PM »

Incinerating the First Amendment in slavish devotion for the Second

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/06/us/tennessee-house-democrats-expulsion-shooting-gun-control.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Politically, this is one of the most ridiculous acts by the Republican Party

One thing is for sure, the kids are alright.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: April 06, 2023, 04:48:43 PM »

This is not America.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: April 06, 2023, 05:03:44 PM »

This is not America.

It is though, just like what's going on with Trump.
Go woke, go broke.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: April 06, 2023, 05:05:58 PM »

Poor guy.  My heart breaks for him.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: April 06, 2023, 05:09:20 PM »

I grew up in the heart of Tornado Alley.  The odds of a tornado hitting one specific house are miniscule, so economically it makes more sense to provide good insurance coverage.  Tornado-proofing every home would likely cost trillions, not billions, because you would basically have to replace every wood-framed structure ("stick-built" is the term here in US) with concrete-block  houses or berm houses.  Given that hurricanes wreak 10 times the damage of tornadoes, it makes more sense to invest in hurricane-proofing and zoning that prevents residential construction in especially vulnerable coastal areas (or buy out existing properties).

What about funding a twister-proof room in homes there, to prevent loss of life?
Go woke, go broke.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: April 06, 2023, 06:06:58 PM »

Prepare to be confused

Amendment  VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

When Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg was asked by a reporter as to what the underlying crime his indictment fails to name is, he replied in New York State, he does not have to.

The US Constitution is the supreme law of the land.
Does that not include New York?
You clearly are. Or rather, the right wing web site you pulled that argument from wants you to be and is lying to you again. 240 years of litigation as to what constitutes sufficient information ignored by them to be regurgitated by you.
Was that supposed to be a response, or are you just banging the table?
LOL. Just pointing out that you know nothing of the Constitution or criminal procedure, and are being played for thr gull you are.
As I thought.
No response, just insults.
No insults.  Just a blunt statement of facts.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: April 06, 2023, 07:24:00 PM »

I grew up in the heart of Tornado Alley.  The odds of a tornado hitting one specific house are miniscule, so economically it makes more sense to provide good insurance coverage.  Tornado-proofing every home would likely cost trillions, not billions, because you would basically have to replace every wood-framed structure ("stick-built" is the term here in US) with concrete-block  houses or berm houses.  Given that hurricanes wreak 10 times the damage of tornadoes, it makes more sense to invest in hurricane-proofing and zoning that prevents residential construction in especially vulnerable coastal areas (or buy out existing properties).

What about funding a twister-proof room in homes there, to prevent loss of life?

That has some merit,  especially for homes built on slab foundations.

And most houses in Tornado Alley do have cellars, so they may need nothing more than enhanced bolting of the house to its foundation.  Or a basement section with a reinforced ceiling. Areas where cellars are lacking, primarily trailer parks, are now legally required to build reinforced storm shelters centrally placed in the trailer park.  I think government funding is assisting such places, and also helping fund lawsuits against noncompliant real estate companies.   

Unfortunately, you have a lot of people, even in places like Moore, Oklahoma (I think it's still ranked as most twister prone city in US) who have homes built and decide they'd rather spring for granite countertops and a jacuzzi, than include tornado shelter in the house.  Though twisters are dramatically destructive, the odds of one hitting your house in Tornado Alley is 1 in 5000, so people are willing to roll the dice and spend their budget on frills.
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: April 06, 2023, 08:55:23 PM »

Watching the Tennessee Legislature operate is like a primer on CRT

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: April 06, 2023, 09:50:29 PM »

It was in the Tennessee legislature on 18 August 1920 that young Harry Burn *changed* red rose to yellow after receiving a letter from his mother, and voted 'yes', thereby giving the Suffragist women, the "Iron Jawed Angels", their 19th Amendment right to vote.
Go woke, go broke.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: April 06, 2023, 10:45:15 PM »

In the 1920s my Great Grandfather was the Chief of Police of Denver, Colorado. My family had a good life in Colorado in the 1920s, but then everything collapsed in the 1930s with the Great Depression. The family all ended up picking fruit in California, and they were grateful to be able to pick fruit. Watch the movie "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck, times were hard during the Great Depression. But, they were strong people and they worked hard and they survived. And then they had to fight World War II in the 1940s. Americans have had to be strong people.

We need peace right now, we need to stop Putin, and we need to have peace.

And we need to help our homeless people and we need to get our homeless people all into shelter. I also support Church buses which can pick up the homeless people and take them to Calvary Chapel and to the other Churches. We need a Jesus Revolution with buses bringing homeless people to the Churches. And then, as we help the homeless, then we can give them the opportunity to live on communes and to work on farms and to make cheese, etc, and to worship God, and they can have tennis courts and swimming pools on their communes, and libraries, etc. People can have communes in Battle Mountain, Nevada, and in Merced, California, and in Napa, California. The first step is to get the homeless people into housing, and to get them Mental Health Treatment, etc, and then we can get them all going to Church every Sunday on Church buses, and then they can get into more permanent housing such as communes, etc. And the communes are going to need pharmacies, etc. And the communes can do trade with San Francisco, etc.

So, at this time we need PEACE, and we need to help our homeless people. We lost a lot of jobs to other nations, and we have a lot of homeless people, right now we just need to help our homeless people. And we need to help them Mind, Body, and Spirit, they need to go to Church on Sunday to go along with getting healthy.

We have come a long way since the 1920s, and right now our crisis is to help our homeless people right here in America. We just need peace, so that we can focus on helping our people here at home.

And Biden has a lot going on with the economy and building, and the local economy is great here in Anaheim, we will be fine.

Salute,

Tony V.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: April 06, 2023, 10:49:27 PM »

It was in the Tennessee legislature on 18 August 1920 that young Harry Burn *changed* red rose to yellow after receiving a letter from his mother, and voted 'yes', thereby giving the Suffragist women, the "Iron Jawed Angels", their 19th Amendment right to vote.
A dark for Bambu-ilk residing in the States, I'm certain.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: April 07, 2023, 12:19:22 AM »

Prepare to be confused

Amendment  VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

When Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg was asked by a reporter as to what the underlying crime his indictment fails to name is, he replied in New York State, he does not have to.

You clearly are. Or rather, the right wing web site you pulled that argument from wants you to be and is lying to you again. 240 years of litigation as to what constitutes sufficient information ignored by them to be regurgitated by you.
LOL. Just pointing out that you know nothing of the Constitution or criminal procedure, and are being played for thr gull you are.
As I thought.
I supplied the facts
You countered with insults

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: April 07, 2023, 01:06:51 AM »

Unfortunately, you have a lot of people, even in places like Moore, Oklahoma (I think it's still ranked as most twister prone city in US) who have homes built and decide they'd rather spring for granite countertops and a jacuzzi, than include tornado shelter in the house.  Though twisters are dramatically destructive, the odds of one hitting your house in Tornado Alley is 1 in 5000, so people are willing to roll the dice and spend their budget on frills.
Frills?
Is building a home you want to enjoy living in a frill?
Of course not.
Moore  Oklahoma according to statistics has grown from 42,000 to 63,000 in the last 13  years despite a huge
tornado in 2013. 
Growth over the last three  has been slowed by Covid and Biden inflation.
It may come as a shock to you but people seek a home they can afford in a community they live in whether by choice or situation.
They know the risks but persist in establishing a home  that suits their needs and comfort.
As do all Americans.

If there is one lesson we have learned over the last 50 years of global alarmism it is that the ability of society to adapt to change is eternal.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: April 07, 2023, 02:07:03 AM »

A dark for Bambu-ilk residing in the States, I'm certain.

Happy women are the best kind.
Be kind to respectable, respectful women, and one's rewards will be plentiful.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 05:52:12 AM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: April 07, 2023, 11:21:35 AM »

Prepare to be confused

Amendment  VI

As I thought.
I supplied the facts
You countered with insults
The only fact you supplied is that you have no knowledge of the Constitution or criminal procedure. Granted the part of you being played for a gull is more an inference and the source you regurgitated may be as ill informed as you, but I think it is more likely they are relying on the ignorance of you and your ilk.

Bragg has no Constitutional duty to provide that information:

A. To the Defendant in an indictment or arraignment, or

B. To a journalist, ever.

Google notice pleading, you vainglorious buffoon.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 567