Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 566

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 119425 times)

Oiled

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #4620 on: July 13, 2023, 07:39:41 PM »

Good post, Tony V.

Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: July 13, 2023, 10:10:16 PM »

Bambu, you can learn a lot from Shakespeare, including from "Othello" by Shakespeare. I recommend the movie that was made by Orson Welles as the cinematography is fantastic. In "Othello" a bad man named Iago whispers lies into people's ears to sow discord, and what was once a fairy tale life for Othello and Desdemona turns into a tragedy all because of Iago.

People do that in real life too, they break people up into groups and then they sow discord and the groups destroy themselves with unnecessary fighting among themselves. When we work together then we are strong, and no one can defeat us, but if we let people divide us up into groups and then fight the groups among themselves then we will destroy ourselves. The enemies of America can simply divide us up and then spread discord until America destroys itself. Just like in "Othello."

And we are the richest nation in the world and our streets are full of homeless people and we have a crisis in the USA right now, but our Unions are all fighting to help our workers. We have Unions, and we have Labor Laws to protect our workers. So, if we work together then we can all win, but if we fight among ourselves and if we destroy ourselves then we are foolish like Othello was.

Salute,

Tony V.

If only... I'd been wised up at home that "the world is evil, bad people lurk in every shadow, around every corner, everywhere, in work places, in every country, every society, every neighbourhood...and you'll be "eaten alive" if you're not absolutely smarter than they are."
"They'll rob you, steal everything you have, take advantage of you, rip you off at every turn, bash you, lie about you, trample you...any evil deed, they'll do it."

Go woke, go broke.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: July 13, 2023, 10:18:40 PM »

I am surprised you are not more successful as a motivational speaker.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: July 14, 2023, 11:30:54 AM »

Speaking of arid barren places....

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/13/us/scottsdale-arizona-grass-ban-new-houses/index.html

Xeriscaping becomes the law?  About fuggin time.
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: July 14, 2023, 12:21:54 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/13/us/scottsdale-arizona-grass-ban-new-houses/index.html

Building towns/cities in the desert, which Scottsdale seems to resemble, one would expect drought, scorching temps, and to struggle with water.
From the photo, that landscape doesn't resemble an ideal location for housing estates etc.
My No 1 radio host would have a plan..."Watering America"..."move the water from where it is to where it is not...dams and pipelines. Harness the billions of gallons of water flowing into the ocean."
Floods in Vermont, droughts in Arizona...snow melting in the north...plenty of water.
In the western movies Arizona territory looked like the last place anyone would want to build a permanent home.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 12:23:44 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: July 14, 2023, 12:44:16 PM »

We took our front yard out about 6 years ago. Probably doing the back yard this year. You know, when you decide to live in the fecking desert, live in the fecking desert.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: July 14, 2023, 12:53:31 PM »

Building towns/cities in the desert, which Scottsdale seems to resemble, one would expect drought, scorching temps, and to struggle with water.
From the photo, that landscape doesn't resemble an ideal location for housing estates etc.
My No 1 radio host would have a plan..."Watering America"..."move the water from where it is to where it is not...dams and pipelines. Harness the billions of gallons of water flowing into the ocean."
As always, your No. 1 radio host has No..2 for brains. We already do that. By the time it reaches the oceans, the Colorado is as weak a stream as my 2 am piss.
Floods in Vermont, droughts in Arizona...snow melting in the north...plenty of water.
No, there is not. We have been in a drought for years, last year notwithstanding. You seem to think you can first, have the infrastructure in place to harness a once in a century flood and second transport it 2500 miles.
In the western movies Arizona territory looked like the last place anyone would want to build a permanent home.
No, that would be the house next to you. The desert is a beautiful living place and I have not used a snow shovel in 13 years.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: July 14, 2023, 01:43:45 PM »

My whole lot is paved and my garden lives in terra cotta except for the lemon and mango trees and the passion fruit covering the fence. Herbs, veggies and berries all live in pots. No mowing or shoveling required.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: July 14, 2023, 02:04:42 PM »

Heads up Corporate America, Affirmative Action is no longer permitted

That message came out loud and clear in a letter  from 13 state Attorneys General to the Fortune 100, advising that hiring practices based on diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) may also be illegal racial discrimination.

Well intentioned racial discrimination is just as illegal as invidious discrimination,
wrote Jonathan Skrmetti of Tennessee and Kris Kobach of Kansas.

Companies that engage in racial discrimination should and will face serious legal consequences.
The prohibition exists even if it is meant to counteract historical bias.  If your company previously resorted to racial preferences or quotas to offset its bigotry, that discriminatory path is now definitively closed.

The letter also identifies companies who illustrate the pervasiveness and explicit nature of these racial preferences including Airbnb, Apple, Cisco, Facebook, Google, Intel, Lyft, Microsoft, Netflix, PayPal, Snapchat, TikTok, Uber and others  have also set policies that amount to discrimination on the basis of race. Microsoft set quotas for suppliers.

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/attorneygeneral/documents/pr/2023/pr23-27-letter.pdf

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: July 14, 2023, 02:56:23 PM »

The letter came from 13 fascist terrorists at war with and on the run from the law.

Patriotic corporations with any concern for preserving shareholder value will completely disregard it.

They will look at the my pillow company as the cautionary tale and continue to diversify to meet the needs of their diverse markets.

The death bleats of you pseudo culture are getting shriller and shriller by the day, Red. You should have stuck to small government instead of Zerg charging the culture wars.

Richard P. Feynman

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: July 14, 2023, 03:05:31 PM »

Foot race.  Eighty percent of contestants along the starting line.  Twenty percent, of particular ancestry, are at a line 100 meters behind the starting line, due to rules set up centuries ago.  Someone suggests the race would be more fair if that twenty percent were moved up to the starting line.  This would be correcting the effects of discrimination. 

They've done child paychology experiments where three year olds are able to grasp this basic concept.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: July 14, 2023, 03:12:30 PM »

The 80s and 90s are when AIDS grew legs, put on makeup and became the republican party. Much that has followed flows from that.

Richard P. Feynman

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: July 14, 2023, 06:25:27 PM »

Foot race.  Eighty percent of contestants along the starting line.  Twenty percent, of particular ancestry, are at a line 100 meters behind the starting line, due to rules set up centuries ago.  Someone suggests the race would be more fair if that twenty percent were moved up to the starting line.  This would be correcting the effects of discrimination. 

They've done child paychology experiments where three year olds are able to grasp this basic concept.
Too bad that concept eluded everyone who decided not to give a leg up at the start line.
Also known as KINDERGARTEN.
How Affirmative Action was put into practice by favoring placements from the top down was mercifully deep sixed by SCOTUS. Logically it not only will be gone from college admissions it soon will be thrown out of business hiring.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: July 14, 2023, 07:06:39 PM »

Grass takes in carbon dioxide, and gives off oxygen.
Love that grass.
Live in a desert, drought, poor old lawn cannot live.

2005...Sydney bambuworld was in drought, the dam level dropping slowly...water restrictions...hand-held hoses with trigger nozzles only allowed for watering gardens and lawns, and only before 10am and after 4pm.

bambu always obeys all laws and all water restrictions.
So, when watering my front garden and lush green lawn one afternoon...in my quiet Rightist "middle class" suburb with nice, mostly modest homes, not necessarily mansions...an SUV stopped across the street. Woman wound down window and yelled at me: "Where's the fire"?
While I was processing what that might mean, she yelled at me again about using water on the lawn and garden...then before I could discuss the matter with her she drove off.

A man across the city was watering his roses in his front yard, obeying the water restrictions, when a man passing by yelled at him about using water on his garden. The man watering then hosed the man walking by, the man walking by then went into the yard of the man hosing, and killed him, severe bashing.

After that, when I was watering I made sure I always had 'weapons' ready for defence behind my courtyard wall. Tomahawk, quality steel garden fork etc.

Mother in Law, team bambu, and other family members laid the grass as rolls of turf in 100F heat in the mid1970s, and there was no way I was going to let it die.
Small amount of fertiliser, small amount of water regularly, regular mowing, lush green lawn.
"Blood, sweat and tears", be damned if I was going to let the self-appointed "water nazis" win.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 07:08:31 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: July 14, 2023, 07:19:59 PM »

Too bad that concept eluded everyone who decided not to give a leg up at the start line.
Also known as KINDERGARTEN.
How Affirmative Action was put into practice by favoring placements from the top down was mercifully deep sixed by SCOTUS. Logically it not only will be gone from college admissions it soon will be thrown out of business hiring.

Just the failing businesses. My Pillow says hi.

You are less of a market and more of a bone yard than you think.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 566