Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 566

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 119357 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #5460 on: September 10, 2023, 02:04:22 AM »

"Not My King", "Not My King" they chant as they protest, waving placards in Britain.
Young people mostly.
No-ideas, with no idea what Britain would be without The Monarchy, the pomp, ceremony, parades, democratic system.
Maybe they should all go live in Communist China.

Long live the King!
Go woke, go broke.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: September 10, 2023, 10:46:16 AM »

"Not My King", "Not My King" they chant as they protest, waving placards in Britain.
Young people mostly.
No-ideas, with no idea what Britain would be without The Monarchy, the pomp, ceremony, parades, democratic system.
A democracy.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: September 10, 2023, 02:01:39 PM »

If Charles III abdicates and cedes all monarchical powers and properties to the people via parliament he has a much better chance of avoiding either of the terrible fates that befell the two Charles that proceeded him as king.

Charles I had a much better end than Charles II though Charles II probably had much more fun being king before his life caught up with him.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: September 10, 2023, 03:22:31 PM »

World could use more of these pop-up houses

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/09/1196594500/pop-up-house-disaster-relief-families

Do the Brit monarchs really have any powers now?  I think the are just figureheads, except for maybe a couple archaic rules which parliament would cancel in a minute if they ever were a real problem. 
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: September 10, 2023, 03:54:35 PM »

Young people mostly.
Maybe they should all go live in Communist China.

Long live the King!

That is ironic, because the British used communism as a weapon of conquest, and also the USA defeated England twice in war and the British were afraid of the USA being the only Super Power.

My answer, is that we can have the United Nations where we all work together as a team for the benefit of all of humanity and peace. There is no need to be afraid if we all work together for peace. The British do not need to be afraid because we have the United Nations.

And King Juan Carlos of Spain was a good King, he retired and his son Felipe VI is doing a great job.

And long live Pope Francis!

Salute,

Tony V.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: September 10, 2023, 04:04:31 PM »

I think the bulb may burned out on the Bat Signal. 
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: September 10, 2023, 05:04:11 PM »

Do the Brit monarchs really have any powers now?  I think the are just figureheads, except for maybe a couple archaic rules which parliament would cancel in a minute if they ever were a real problem.
The Royal Family, bound to follow the government in law, makes about 3500 public appearances a year, roughly 10 a day. They may be figureheads to you but their subjects love their
dedication to diplomacy and ambassadors for British interests and values abroad, increasing tourism at home, and promoting charities throughout civil society. ( London Times)

That  job would kill Joe Biden in a week, but it would end his propensity to ignore our Constitution and Congress and use executive orders that never survive scrutiny.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 05:06:57 PM by Espnthree »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: September 10, 2023, 05:50:40 PM »

Young people mostly.
A democracy.

Britain is a democracy...the People elect the govt, the Monarchy purely symbolic.
No need to have the Monarchy at all, but the system today is a very good one.
King Charles is streamlining it.

As in Australia, with its Constitutional Monarchy, where the politicians, military, police etc all have to swear allegiance to the Monarch, not themselves.
Go woke, go broke.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: September 10, 2023, 06:45:04 PM »

Flatten and freeze-dry the monarch, hang it on a flagpole, call it "the flag"...would make no difference.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: September 10, 2023, 07:05:48 PM »

Flatten and freeze-dry the monarch, hang it on a flagpole, call it "the flag"...would make no difference.
Fortunately adults rule Brittannia.
And they love the Royalty.

Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves!
Britons never, never, never will be slaves.

Do yourself a favor and shut up about something about which you know nothing.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: September 10, 2023, 07:08:45 PM »

They own the entire coastline and most of the undeveloped land in the country, for a start.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: September 10, 2023, 07:14:08 PM »

Do yourself a favor and shut up about something about which you know nothing.

Try demonstrating that nifty piece of advice yourself for a few months.

It might give someone here the impression that you at least know what the fuck you are saying, if not entirely what you are talking about, on one topic at least.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: September 10, 2023, 08:16:26 PM »

If Charles III abdicates and cedes all monarchical powers and properties to the people via parliament he has a much better chance of avoiding either of the terrible fates that befell the two Charles that proceeded him as king.

Charles I had a much better end than Charles II though Charles II probably had much more fun being king before his life caught up with him.

The Moron DownUnder will always be a subject to the King or Queen,
not a citizen of a free democracy.  Unsurprisingly he has no clue as to the difference.

Moronic maybe, but not so moronic as to allow a system whereby Trump could be elected Prime Minister and not be allowed to be speedily replaced.
Trump's antics would never have allowed him to even be put forward as a candidate, let alone elected.

Australia is a free democracy...with a House of Reps and a Senate. It has its own national anthem, its own flag, its own parliament, is self-governing just like the Republic Of the United States.

The Monarch can be removed as Head of State by the People in a referendum. The Monarch banished at the ballot box in an instant.
The Constitutional Monarchy removed from sight forevermore.
But why would we want to do that...and let the politicians run wild.
Go woke, go broke.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: September 10, 2023, 08:17:07 PM »

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: September 10, 2023, 08:25:22 PM »

So does Australia thank Liz or Charlie for banishing Scummo to the outer darkness?

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 566