Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 566

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 119332 times)

Oiled

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #7980 on: March 26, 2024, 09:09:08 PM »

https://wapo.st/3xbrhsy

(free link, from subscriber)

Please, everyone, welcome the Joker to the Gotham news team!

By Alexandra Petri
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7981 on: March 26, 2024, 09:09:14 PM »

What does that have to do with anything? I am sure someone like you who is a fan of performative patriotism only does not understand courage regardless of cause. The Marines who died at Belleau Wood may have walked eye-deep in hell believing in old men's lies, and may have died for an old bitch gone in the teeth, for a botched civilization, for two gross of broken statues and a few thousand battered books, but their courage and dedication is unquestioned.

Of all the insane fascists to have ever walked the earth, Pound is the best.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: March 26, 2024, 09:20:47 PM »

Peace Corps

Vice President Kamala Harris welcomed President Bernardo Arevalo of Guatemala to the White House yesterday to recognize the enduring friendship and strategic partnership between Guatemala and the United States.

As part of the Central American Service Corps in Guatemala, Peace Corps is partnering with USAID and the Inter-American Foundation to expand the pilot program in the country to engage young people through volunteering, training, and employment opportunities, with the potential to reach 25,000 young people over the next five years. When young people have access to opportunities, we can forge a brighter future.

Read more: https://bit.ly/3VA5q8d

--------

We need to train Teachers, and we need to donate libraries, and we need to build schools, and we need to invest in Education. We need to do the same thing that Shakira is doing in Colombia. And we need to teach the people how to speak English so that they can sell stuff to American tourists, and so that they can do business with Americans.

Also, it is important to feed the children at school, many of the children would not eat healthy meals if not for the meals that they eat at school. At all of Shakira's schools the children are fed healthy food to feed their bodies as well as their minds. We want them to have a Strong Mind, a Strong Body, and a Strong Spirit.

( Shakira has a song that is Number 1 right now, and she continues to give money to the children of Colombia. )

Salute,

Tony V.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #7983 on: March 26, 2024, 09:21:05 PM »

By Alexandra Petri
Ronna is gone.
Far be it for the MSNBC crowd to tolerate freedom of speech.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #7984 on: March 26, 2024, 09:25:07 PM »

By Alexandra Petri

Ronna washed out of journalism quicker than Lizz Truss was flushed from government. She has lawyered up as she is strongly implicated in conspiring to commit crimes with the diapered desperado in 2020 & early 2021.

At least she has given Mitt the option of pretending not to know her.

The Kennedys wish RF Jr. had done the same.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: March 26, 2024, 10:17:54 PM »

One sardine, and that's it!

I hope this collapse will lead to better engineering (like the infamous Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse did
How are the two related?

Both involved engineering issues, which is true for a lot of bridge failures.   The Tacoma fail was due to  insufficiently dampened resonance under high winds.  This relates to parts not sufficiently rigid, so that oscillations could build up.  Last night's collapse was an issue with (as far as can be seen now) with impact buffers not sufficient for large container ships.  Support columns deflected too far and failed.  More will be learned - just saying that this will likely lead to all bridges better bolstered for the era of container ships, especially the kind with long continuous trusses.
Oh

So they were not related.
Ort ort ort! More sardines! Feed me more sardines!
I prefer feeding you the truth.
No more sardines for you.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: March 26, 2024, 10:34:35 PM »

By Alexandra Petri
Ronna is gone.

Ronna is a proven and unrepentant liar. Figures you would be a supporter

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #7987 on: March 26, 2024, 10:39:23 PM »

Baltimore...'the worst run city in America' according to Youtube.
'Tied with 4 others as having the worst violent crime rate in the nation' - Fox Baltimore
Charming.
People are leaving the city, 'it now has its lowest population in 100 years'.
One view is that the city has become 'cars central', the city catering for cars first.
Another is that people are leaving because of all the violent crime.
One lady (who happend to be Black) interviewed said "your home can be robbed twice in the same day".

Is this bridge crash just one more horror to befall Baltimore?

I'm currently walking thru 'The Drug Infested Slums of Baltimore'.
I haven't been walking long, but what I've seen so far is purely horrid.

Go woke, go broke.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #7988 on: March 26, 2024, 10:44:47 PM »

Slugs do not walk.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: March 26, 2024, 11:34:29 PM »

Slugs do not walk.

No slugs at my place, the lizards big and small eat them all.

The people of Baltimore deserve better. All the people, not just the affluent.
. Buildings should be demolished.
. Drug dealers should be kept in prison longer (one resident said).

The slums need to be eliminated.
They should not be tolerated in a modern city.
The old ramshackle buildings are being used as drug dens. They're putrid, ...and needles, feces, vile black water in old bath tubs are everywhere...children are living in it all, have done clearly child art on the walls.
It all needs demolishing...a nice big bulldozer thru it.
It was said that the cops only do something about the drugs and associated squalor if they start in affluent areas.
In the slums the cops are said to be more concerned with violent crime...gun shots, shootings etc.

The mayor seems to be a man aged about 22. He's likely older, but not a lot older. Maybe he just has a baby face.
He should take a walk around the slums...then break out the city bulldozers.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 04:33:12 AM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: March 27, 2024, 12:03:19 AM »

Baltimore...'the worst run city in America' according to Youtube.
'Tied with 4 others as having the worst violent crime rate in the nation' - Fox Baltimore
Charming.
People are leaving the city, 'it now has its lowest population in 100 years'.
One view is that the city has become 'cars central', the city catering for cars first.
Another is that people are leaving because of all the violent crime.
One lady (who happend to be Black) interviewed said "your home can be robbed twice in the same day".

Is this bridge crash just one more horror to befall Baltimore?

I'm currently walking thru 'The Drug Infested Slums of Baltimore'.
I haven't been walking long, but what I've seen so far is purely horrid.

First of all, the beautiful young women from Australia need to come to the nice places, I recommend nice places like Malibu, and Topanga, and even Anaheim is nice, but people need to avoid the bad areas, and I would not want my children to live in a bad area. Children in Malibu study twice as hard in school so that they can afford to live in Malibu when they grow up.

And Battle Mountain, Nevada, is safe, so far as a cheap area.

Here in Anaheim, we have been working to clean up our City, and our Motto is City of Kindness. And we have Kiwanis International, etc. I worked with Kiwanis for a couple of years helping Anaheim, and we went into the worst neighborhood in Anaheim and we went knocking on doors, and we passed out the information to contact all of the owners of the apartment buildings in the area, and we painted over the graffiti, and we cleaned it up, and that area is still nice today. 14 years later and that neighborhood is still nice, we forever changed that neighborhood. People have to care, and then you go knocking on doors. Obama used to knock on doors and he was a community organizer, and that is how you clean up a city, you need to knock on doors and organize the community. Also, small business loans can help, and redevelopment money, etc. New immigrants can also help to clean up a neighborhood.

For me, life is too short to live in a bad neighborhood. I would rather go live in Rome, Italy. I am grateful to live in Anaheim. And here in Anaheim with Kiwanis we went door knocking and we did some community organizing to clean up our worst area.

I do not feel like we should fight just to be able to exist in peace, so I choose the nice neighborhoods. And in my home town they built a prison in the middle of my home town and then they flooded the town with meth, and then they put the meth heads in the prison. It was all bullshit. We had the Space Shuttle Program in my hometown which was a $100 Billion program, and we had lots of other programs, and the fuckers built a prison and turned the town into a ghetto, I have no desire to live in my home town anymore, my Mother lives there, but as far as I am concerned they ruined it. Anaheim is a nice City, we have problems, but it is better than Lancaster.

And also, the women refuse to live in the bad areas, the bad areas have criminals who are men and they do not have any women. The nice places like Malibu, and Topanga, and Anaheim, have all of the women. And the women love Nevada.

Of note, we have Proposition 1 in California, and I hope that we can do more to help the homeless and the mentally ill people, and we are training more Psychiatrists, etc, we have a lot of positive things that can happen.

I do not know anything about Baltimore, but if they need help then Kiwanis is free, and Kiwanis is always looking for new volunteers. Kiwanis can help people to help themselves, like the famous Jerry McGuire line. And education, and after school programs, etc, are also good. Some of the poor children are completely neglected, so giving the poor children positive attention is a step in the right direction, and we need to start raising our children to be doctors, instead of neglected criminals. It is better to build schools than prisons.

And Father Boyle is a hero here in Los Angeles with Homeboy Industries, Baltimore can learn from Father Boyle.

There is also Boy's Town in Omaha, Nebraska, that can teach Baltimore.

And they can help the abused women, and help the children who do not have fathers, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 12:16:42 AM by FlyingVProd »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: March 27, 2024, 04:41:49 AM »

That cargo ship allegedly crashed [reversed] into a wharf in Germany last year, the year before or something.
Last year it was cited for having trouble with its propulsion...my tv news reported.
O oh.

Maybe when the bridge is rebuilt, tugboats should accompany all ships past the bridge, with ships only allowed to leave port in daylight hours.

Go woke, go broke.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: March 27, 2024, 10:06:48 AM »

By Alexandra Petri
Ronna is gone.

Proven liar who won't retract lies after facts are checked...is not compatible with journalism.  Think of any journalist who has earned your trust and reflect on what it was that earned that trust.  Disqualification for a job is not a first amendment issue here - this was about incompetence.
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #7993 on: March 27, 2024, 11:35:39 AM »

By Alexandra Petri

Ronna is gone.

Proven liar Rachel Maddowwho won't retract lies after facts are checked ChrisHaysis not compatible with journalismJoy Reid
FIFY

As have the viewers via the ratings.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 11:38:11 AM by jmmengel »

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: March 27, 2024, 11:53:18 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 566