Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 566

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 119355 times)

jmmengel

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #8130 on: April 09, 2024, 06:18:17 PM »

https://apnews.com/article/james-crumbley-jennifer-crumbley-oxford-school-shooting-e5888f615c76c3b26153c34dc36d5436

Do us a favor, all you gun enthusiasts?  Please lock up your weapons safely especially when you have a teenage son who has been drawing gun murder scenarios on his math homework and making clearcut pleas for help with thoughts of shooting classmates?
Oh my god! Advice from Barton du jour. Does he ever shut up? 
Remember his advice last week:

I have come round to the position that Tony V is a tedious idiot who posts nothing but repetitive inane ramblings on the current state of his breathtaking ignorance. 

But so as to not sound too critical I find Barton postings reliable bad examples.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 06:24:24 PM by jmmengel »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #8131 on: April 09, 2024, 06:47:01 PM »

The gun industry and its lobbyists top the list.

Disarm the whole population, and Americans will be attacked and killed in their own homes by machete, knife, jemmy bar, and gun wielding, home invading thugs.
The bad people will be armed with guns from the black market, porous borders assisting...home residents [the good people] known to be unarmed.

Try 'school student expulsion', 'school security', 'school anti bullying' policies.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 06:59:44 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #8132 on: April 09, 2024, 09:43:56 PM »

But so as to not sound too critical I find Barton postings reliable bad examples.

Funny how you duck actually responding to my comments or the facts of the case set out in the AP story.  This appears to reflect a further decline in your capacity to constructively engage with posters in real discussion of the issues. 

Do you think the parents have no responsibility or accountability here?  Or are ad hominem attacks all you can manage?
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #8133 on: April 09, 2024, 09:45:43 PM »

Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8134 on: April 09, 2024, 11:52:09 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/arizonas-supreme-court-ruled-that-a-160-year-old-abortion-ban-can-be-enforced-heres-what-the-ruling-means-225731079.html

Aaannnnd....Biden just gained 11 more electoral votes.  Way to go, Arizona supreme court!

A majority of that court seems to be made up of those home invading thugs Bambu is always trying to warn us about.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #8135 on: April 09, 2024, 11:54:48 PM »

Funny how you duck actually responding to my comments or the facts of the case set out in the AP story.  This appears to reflect a further decline in your capacity to constructively engage with posters in real discussion of the issues. 

Do you think the parents have no responsibility or accountability here?  Or are ad hominem attacks all you can manage?
Your conclusion comes from one case with the parents sent to prison?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 12:06:28 AM by jmmengel »

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #8136 on: April 10, 2024, 09:43:29 AM »

Hardly.  A plethora of cases going back to the Von Maur shooting at the Omaha mall some years ago point towards the role of parental negligence.  (and negligence from other adults, too, so don't bother with the straw man that I'm somehow ignoring the school's negligence in the Oxford case - I'm not)

And you still won't actually answer a direct question.  Do you oppose the idea that parents be held accountable on these types of shootings?
I thought conservatives were all about parental responsibility.  Or is that only when they're busy judging welfare mommas and absent fathers?

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #8137 on: April 10, 2024, 10:45:48 AM »

And you still won't actually answer a direct question.  Do you oppose the idea that parents be held accountable on these types of shootings?

Parental responsibility laws are as old as our Country hence my previous answer was mocking response to your naivety.

You got a lot catching up to do so start with this list.
Happy reading!

70. Jill Smolowe, Parenting on Trial, Time, May 20, 1996, at 50.
71. Id.

72. Robin Meredith, Michigan Parents Convicted for Youth's Misconduct, N.Y. Times, May 10, 1996.

73. Howard Davidson, No Consequences -- Re-examining Parental Responsibility Laws,

70. Jill Smolowe, Parenting on Trial, Time, May 20, 1996, at 50.
71. Id.
72. Robin Meredith, Michigan Parents Convicted for Youth Misconduct, N.Y. Times, May 10, 1996.
73. Howard Davidson, No Consequences Re-examining Parental Responsibility Laws, 7 Stan. L & Po.Rev. 23, 25 (1996) (citing P. Thomas Mason, Child Abuse and Neglect, Part I: Historical Overview, Legal Matrix and Social Perspective, 50 N.C.L. Rev. 293
Id.
78. Cal. Penal Code 272 (West 1988).
79. Model Juvenile Handgun Code 36 (National Criminal Justice Ass.Unpublished Draft 1995) [hereinafter Model Handgun Code].
80. National Conference of State Legislatures, Legisbrief, Kids, Guns, and Accidents: Taking Responsibility (Sept. 1993).
81. Kathryn Parsley, Constitutional Limitations on State Power to Hold Parents Criminally Liable for the Delinquent Acts of Their Children, 44 Vand. L. Rev. 446, 453 (1991).
82. Meyer v. Nebraska, 262 U.S. 390 (1923).
83. Pierce v. Society of Sisters, 268 U.S. 510 (1925).
84. Williams v. Garcetti, 853 P.2d. 507 (1993).
85. Geis & Binder, supra note 75, at 319.
86. Toni Weinstein, Visiting the Sins of the Child on the Parent: The Legality of Criminal Parental Responsibility Statutes, 64 S. Cal. L. Rev. 863, 878 (1991).
87. Silverton, Ore., Ordinance 95
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 10:49:54 AM by jmmengel »

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #8138 on: April 10, 2024, 01:00:37 PM »

Whatever, man.  Just insults and lots of copy/paste stuff that somehow doesn't really address my point.  Do you or do you not agree with the verdict in Oxford yesterday?  If you see parental responsibility laws as old and venerable, then I would have to assume you are in agreement that the parents in Oxford Township, Michigan (among others) were correctly held to account and fairly sentenced.

From AP, just to recap:

The Crumbleys were accused of not securing the newly purchased gun at home and acting indifferently to signs of their son s deteriorating mental health, especially when confronted with a chilling classroom drawing earlier that same day.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #8139 on: April 10, 2024, 01:13:31 PM »

Whatever, man.  Just insults and lots of copy/paste stuff that somehow doesn't really address my point. 
Then you have no point. You act as if the Oxford case was something new when, in reality, parental responsibility laws are as old as our country.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8140 on: April 10, 2024, 01:16:06 PM »

Red has a whiny little bitch way of saying you were right and that he agrees with you.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #8141 on: April 10, 2024, 02:50:35 PM »

The Prime Minister of Japan is here in Washington DC trying to point a finger at China saying how bad China is, but to be truthful I like China better than I like Japan. And I had a roommate who was the daughter of a Chinese General and I made peace with her. My Apple computer was made in China, and if China is good enough for Apple then China is good enough for me. And we need for China to be on our team because of Putin, we need to be allies with China for world peace. Also of note is that Muzi, the daughter of the President of China attended Harvard.

I love the Philippines, and I love Taiwan, and I made my peace with China, we need for China to be on our team.

And as the workers of China become more affluent then we can sell them exports. Sunkist is exporting to China now, and others can export to China as well.

For the homeless people of Hong Kong, then El Salvador is offering free Citizenship, that would be a great opportunity for people who have no other options.

Peace.

Salute,

Tony V.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #8142 on: April 10, 2024, 07:10:42 PM »

Whatever, man.  Just insults and lots of copy/paste stuff that somehow doesn't really address my point. 
Then you have no point. You act as if the Oxford case was something new...

Try reading.  The conviction was the first in the US of parents, for a mass shooting in a school.  So it's a step forward in the history of parental responsibility enforcement. 

Last sardine.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #8143 on: April 10, 2024, 07:59:34 PM »

Only a 'few' weeks left until the election.
About 27 or so.
Isn't it exciting as the 'horses' approach the starting gate for the big race, their brightly coloured silks gleaming in the sun.
Who will win?
By how much?

At least there's no "donkey-vote" like in Australia...where voting is compulsory (and 'preferential') and *donkeys* who know nothing about/ care nothing about 'politics'...just go down the ballot paper marking 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 etc next to the candidates (supposedly in their order  of preference for them).
If a candidate doesn't get 50% or more of the votes in an electorate, 'preferences' then get taken into account.
The whole system is a shambles.
American system is much better, to start with voting is optional, so only people who know and care make the effort to vote.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 08:02:08 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #8144 on: April 10, 2024, 08:17:57 PM »

Then you have no point. You act as if the Oxford case was something new...

Try reading.  The conviction was the first in the US of parents, for a mass shooting in a school.  So it's a step forward in the history of parental responsibility enforcement. 

LOL!
What is the difference from all the other laws? Whether a kid shoots a neighbor or a classmate the parents  can be held responsible through state laws that are in force.
But it you want to talk precedent did you pay attention to the news in Virginia?

A former assistant principal at a Virginia elementary school where a 6-year-old student a shot firstgrade teacher Abigail Zwerner now faces criminal charges.

Pick up your game or I will complain to Elba Management you are harassing members.
ROFL!
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 566