Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1617828 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #12435 on: April 09, 2019, 11:08:24 PM »

I am planning on banning 172.69.10.*

I know a bunch of you use 172.69., but have not noticed any using .10.*

Anybody know anything different?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12436 on: April 10, 2019, 01:57:50 AM »

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/michigan-conservatives-vie-to-cut-democracy-from-classroom.html?utm_source=fb

Conservatives in Michigan (among other places) do not want to teach school children that America and democracy are connected at all.

The new standards, first developed by former Republican State Senator Patrick Colbeck and a group of like-minded conservatives, propose a few right-turns in the lesson plans of Michigan teachers from kindergarten through 12th grade.

According to the local nonprofit Bridge magazine, Colbeck and company’s plan would remove from the standards all LGBT references in the section dealing with civil rights, all references to Roe v. Wade, and would severely limit teachers’ ability to discuss climate change. Colbeck told Bridge that he personally added a zero-sum proposal about “how the expansion of rights for some groups [including immigrants, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ Americans] can be viewed as an infringement of rights and freedoms of others.”
The proposed curriculum update in Michigan also falls in line with another type of push by conservative education advocates: cutting references to America’s status as a democracy. The first draft of the proposed changes in Michigan attempted to nix the word “democratic” from the phrase “core democratic values,” a slogan that defined virtues like equality, liberty, and diversity.
Patrick Colbeck, the leading conservative voice in the argument, said that the term “democracy” was not “politically neutral and accurate.”
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #12437 on: April 10, 2019, 05:06:32 AM »

?

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #12438 on: April 10, 2019, 05:09:18 AM »

Open borders seems to be the strawman of the year.   No member of either major party advocates an open border policy.  But clueless partisans keep insisting that's the case.   Zzzzzzz.

Allowing people to enter illegally and then disappear is indeed 'open borders'.
High percentage of farmworkers in CA are illegals...is indeed 'open borders'.
'Sanctuary cities' are indeed 'open borders'.

Then there are driving licences for illegal immigrants...all they need in some states to vote. More 'open border's.

None of those is open border.   N Ireland is an open border.  You just drive across, wave at the sign, go about your biz.

Where is Driver, btw?  Anyone heard?  And Whisky is pretty quiet.

"Virtually open borders".
"Much the same thing as open borders".
If you like.

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #12439 on: April 10, 2019, 05:13:38 AM »

About immigration from the American Enterprise Institute, which is not one of my usual go-to sources:

http://www.aei.org/publication/how-immigration-boosts-american-economic-growth-and-innovation/

'False' growth.
Just adding the bank balances of the immigrants to the economy.
Economic growth by productivity is what's needed.
Immigrants [illegal or legal] pouring in, competing for jobs, good luck getting a pay rise.

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #12440 on: April 10, 2019, 05:20:41 AM »

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/-korver-utah-jazz-nba

Two concepts that I’ve been thinking about a lot lately are guilt and responsibility.

When it comes to racism in America, I think that guilt and responsibility tend to be seen as more or less the same thing. But I’m beginning to understand how there’s a real difference.

As white people, are we guilty of the sins of our forefathers? No, I don’t think so.

But are we responsible for them? Yes, I believe we are.

And I guess I’ve come to realize that when we talk about solutions to systemic racism — police reform, workplace diversity, affirmative action, better access to healthcare, even reparations? It’s not about guilt. It’s not about pointing fingers, or passing blame.

Not quite "look out for yourself, because nobody else is going to."

I'm not responsible for anything 'White people' did, have done.
I'm only responsible for my actions.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12441 on: April 10, 2019, 09:05:55 AM »

"We let them die from malnutrition...."

Who?  Barack?  Never!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12442 on: April 10, 2019, 09:18:31 AM »

Ralph Northam, a pediatric neurologist, spoke favorably in January about state legislation to ease restrictions on late-term abortions. He said “a discussion would ensue” between doctors and the family over the next steps if an infant is born who is badly deformed or incapable of living.

So the elephant man can be put to death legally....

Got it.

barton

« Reply #12443 on: April 10, 2019, 10:46:48 AM »

You won't likely ban anyone here.   Those digits indicate a Cloudflare reverse proxy server which has been known to route Russian spam from St. Petersburg through Frankfurt AM and then on to CF in San Francisco.  (I've been a web admin, so I'm used to shutting off IP ranges)  Hope this helps.

barton

« Reply #12444 on: April 10, 2019, 10:54:13 AM »

Ralph Northam, a pediatric neurologist, spoke favorably in January about state legislation to ease restrictions on late-term abortions. He said “a discussion would ensue” between doctors and the family over the next steps if an infant is born who is badly deformed or incapable of living.

Got it.

Nope. You don't.  Refers to internal organ deformities that would not support life, except encased in medical equipment for a short and painful existence.  Infants in such a state have been allowed to die naturally, and this a compassionate measure.  Please try to understand issues rather than reflexively demonizing different opinions.  I know you don't like it when people do that to you.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12445 on: April 10, 2019, 10:56:01 AM »

Badly deformed.  Maybe read more slowly, Fink.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12446 on: April 10, 2019, 11:33:15 AM »

Don’t have an abortion...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12447 on: April 10, 2019, 11:53:30 AM »

Got it.

Since you clearly have as much empathy, compassion, good sense, and ability to reason as you do neonatal medical experience, I will surely take your word for it.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #12449 on: April 10, 2019, 12:48:35 PM »

I did.  It's you who didn't comprehend my reply or bother to address my specific points on compassionate non-intervention.   If you ever want to grapple with the complex issues of medical decisions, regarding severe deformity and quality of life, I will be happy to have an adult discussion.  Or why Republicans only care about life when it's prenatal, but after that stage....the health and safety and access to decent housing and education and clean water for a child is of little concern to them.   IOW, if you're not conscious, the GOP is there for you.   
Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 4288