Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2617 2618 [2619] 2620 2621 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1615089 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #39270 on: June 21, 2020, 12:19:12 PM »

OTOH, Trump has remembered a campaign promise and has the DoT putting together a $1 trillion infrastructure proposal intended to boost the economy.

But some of his external advisors think this is fool-hardy, not out of opposition to infrastructure, but with the quite accurate understanding that none of that money would actually be spent until a year or so from now, at best!

I am impressed with Jim DeMint. This is the best analysis I've ever seen from him.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/06/17/spending_hawks_balk_at_trumps_new_infrastructure_plan__143467.html

I happen to disagree on the need for the package - Trump's promised infrastructure was poorly designed in it reliance on other people's money, but the need is real and far beyond what either candidate promised in 2016. Nor has it gotten cheaper or less needful in the interim.

But it won't provide economic benefit now, which is what the president needs and what the country needs.

If only Trump would look at a way to do it that was not all about reelecting the president.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #39271 on: June 21, 2020, 12:22:08 PM »

Flag- burning laws are always the last bullet in a losing arsenal.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

barton

« Reply #39272 on: June 21, 2020, 12:54:12 PM »

Not really segregation.   A temporary space on Juneteenth for blacks to mourn and to heal quietly,  voluntarily, is not what "segregation" meant in the American South.   

Yep.  Like the horse of much renown - REAL QUIET

By the way, Juneteenth is mostly not about mourning - its a celebration.

I suspect Bart et al know that.   If you read the FB page of chop,  you would have learned,  as Bart and I and others did,  that there was a "grief ritual" as part of the day,  as well as community healing.   Here's more,  for your enlightenment...

We’re blacking out CHOP…the viral death of black bodies was the catalyst for this current movement and we need to make sure we remain focused. This means both policy and systemic change to our systems and healing space for black people.

So that’s exactly what we’re creating. A series of events in which we center black healing and community.   

So,  um, not entirely about partying.    Get the facts, next time,  before posting.

Facts don't trouble him.   That he thinks this Juneteenth wouldn't include a ritual of grieving and community healing tells you AYNTK.   

barton

« Reply #39273 on: June 21, 2020, 12:57:38 PM »

Bo --

Mayor of KC is also thinking about some drug decrim....

Mayor Of Kansas City, Mo., Wants To Eliminate Marijuana Offenses

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/06/19/880944857/mayor-of-kansas-city-mo-wants-to-eliminate-marijuana-offenses?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=nprblogsliveupdatesprotestsforracialjustice

It's a start.   The present law is enforced very unequally, and mainly lands on you know who.

barton

« Reply #39274 on: June 21, 2020, 12:59:20 PM »

That,  and calling your centrist opponent  a far left radical.   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #39275 on: June 21, 2020, 01:11:43 PM »

Bo --

Mayor of KC is also thinking about some drug decrim....

Mayor Of Kansas City, Mo., Wants To Eliminate Marijuana Offenses

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/06/19/880944857/mayor-of-kansas-city-mo-wants-to-eliminate-marijuana-offenses?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=nprblogsliveupdatesprotestsforracialjustice

It's a start.   The present law is enforced very unequally, and mainly lands on you know who.

What control over pot arrests does he have as mayor?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39276 on: June 21, 2020, 01:14:59 PM »

Ah, no. The last bullet comes from Second Amendment, which, as everyone knows is mightier than the First Amendment.

Because 2 > 1. See? It's quite logical. 

If you're an idiot. Or in the GOP. But I repeat myself.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #39277 on: June 21, 2020, 01:40:18 PM »

They don't have to be.
Burning the flag should be a serious crime. The first bullet in a winning arsenal.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 01:43:45 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #39278 on: June 21, 2020, 01:50:44 PM »

Speaking of segregation...that could be something to assist in stopping alleged police racism/racist killings.
Black neighbourhoods...only policed by Black cops.
Go woke, go broke.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39279 on: June 21, 2020, 01:54:31 PM »

They don't have to be.
Burning the flag should be a serious crime. The first bullet in a winning arsenal.

And to hell with Freedom of Speech.

Why should it be a serious crime?

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39280 on: June 21, 2020, 01:55:21 PM »

Stitt says he doesn’t think rally will increase COVID-19 deaths

Gov. Kevin Stitt said Saturday that he does not anticipate an increase in COVID-19 deaths in Oklahoma as a result of President Donald Trump’s campaign rally at the BOK Center.

Stitt met with reporters outside the Cox Convention Center a few hours before the doors were scheduled to open for the rally. When asked whether he believes that Oklahoma will see an increased number of deaths as a result of the event, Stitt said: “I really don’t.”

“Some people predicted that we’d be having 5,000 people in the hospital in Tulsa County every four days. That was kind of the prediction early on. You have to remember we have 211 people in the hospital (with COVID-19) across the state of Oklahoma right now.”

The state Health Department reported 197 COVID-19 hospitalizations in Oklahoma on Saturday.

“We are built for 5,000,” Stitt said. “That was the whole purpose of what we were trying to do, to slow the spread. We’ve got to remember why we did this. The goal was never to have zero cases.

“These other states that are sitting here, do they think they’re going to have zero cases in August or September or October or November?”

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #39282 on: June 21, 2020, 02:16:16 PM »

I remember WBW when rolling a doobie in flag papers was an act of insurrection.

Today you can get a Stars n Stripes thong.

or so I've heard.

When Trump spouted off about a 1=year sentence for flag buring I wondered what shitting on the Constitution would get?

He's really doing a Nixon '68/'72 greatest hits revival.

I swear last night he was hoping for/trying to orchestrate a '68 streets of of Chicago bloodbath to jump start to his campaign.

Happy Father's Day y'all
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 02:21:57 PM by bankshot1 »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #39283 on: June 21, 2020, 02:24:20 PM »

They don't have to be.

And to hell with Freedom of Speech.

Why should it be a serious crime?

Burning the flag is not words/speech.
The flag represents the nation...burning it, is like burning the nation.
Go woke, go broke.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #39284 on: June 21, 2020, 02:26:48 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 2617 2618 [2619] 2620 2621 ... 4288