Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1615979 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #5220 on: October 31, 2018, 12:07:51 AM »

You're free to make that argument.
It’s not mine to make. The Constitution had  already given that job to Congress.
Remember Harry Reid in 1993?

If making it easy to be an illegal alien isn't enough, how about offering a reward for being an illegal immigrant? No sane country would do that, right?" Reid said. "Guess again. If you break our laws by entering this country without permission and give birth to a child, we reward that child with U.S. citizenship and guarantee a full access to all public and social services this society provides. And that's a lot of services."

He continued: "Is it any wonder that two-thirds of the babies born at taxpayer expense at country-run hospitals in Los Angeles are born to illegal alien mothers?"

I love listening to the GOP citing Harry Reid (but only in small doses, of course) to bolster their argument!

This is the same GOP that is trying to reclaim its title of "Party of Lincoln," yet is intent upon reversing one of that party's greatest achievements (in their opinion, not just mine)!

various Southern courts in antebellum America chose to diverge from this tradition in certain cases, allowing their states to deny birthright citizenship to those they deemed unworthy, such as African Americans.

This Southern “tradition”—fueled by white supremacy—was reinforced by the opinions of certain pro-slavery Attorneys General and ultimately codified in the Supreme Court’s infamous Dred Scott decision, authored by Chief Justice Roger Brooke Taney, himself a former pro-slavery Attorney General under President Andrew Jackson. In Dred Scott, Taney concluded that African Americans could not be U.S. citizens even if they were born free on American soil.

During Reconstruction, one of the Republican Party’s central goals was to overturn Dred Scott and guarantee equal citizenship for everyone born on American soil. President Lincoln signaled this move early in his administration through an 1862 opinion by his Attorney General, Edward Bates. Replying to a request by Treasury Secretary Salmon Chase, Bates defended birthright citizenship for African Americans, explaining, “You and I have no better title to the citizenship which we enjoy than ‘the accident of birth.’” After the Civil War, congressional Republicans followed Bates’ (and Lincoln’s) lead.

This is good reading on the topic:
https://www.theusconstitution.org/blog/truths-and-untruths-about-the-constitutional-origins-of-birthright-citizenship/

Or you could read Justice Gray's take in Wong Kim Ark.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: October 31, 2018, 12:10:35 AM »

I can't help but wonder if Tony spent a fair amount of his youth at Itchycoo Park

I think Red confuses Con Law with con game law.

My understanding is Con law is best understood by years of legal study and practical and vigorous debate about its appplication to an evolving and complex society.

Con Game law, is the current law of the land as practiced by the Trump administration and his Republican co-conspirators.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: October 31, 2018, 12:11:11 AM »

Okay. So you agree with Harry Reid. What can I say.Fear and bigotry makes strange bedfellows.
Fear and bigotry? By whom.?
Take a shot, Socrates.
BTW, There is no need for an amendment.

I agree, but I disagree with why you think that.

There is no need for an amendment because it is another case in which your party is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

But if the GOP wishes to change current law (which includes birthright citizenship), then it requires amending the Constitution.

Whether you like it or not.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: October 31, 2018, 12:16:59 AM »

You're free to make that argument.
It’s not mine to make. The Constitution had  already given that job to Congress.
Remember Harry Reid in 1993?

If making it easy to be an illegal alien isn't enough, how about offering a reward for being an illegal immigrant? No sane country would do that, right?" Reid said. "Guess again. If you break our laws by entering this country without permission and give birth to a child, we reward that child with U.S. citizenship and guarantee a full access to all public and social services this society provides. And that's a lot of services."

He continued: "Is it any wonder that two-thirds of the babies born at taxpayer expense at country-run hospitals in Los Angeles are born to illegal alien mothers?"

I love listening to the GOP citing Harry Reid (but only in small doses, of course) to bolster their argument!

What “ argument” are you referring to?

From your response you appear clueless.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: October 31, 2018, 12:18:43 AM »

Okay. So you agree with Harry Reid. What can I say.Fear and bigotry makes strange bedfellows.
Take a shot, Socrates.

There is no need for an amendment because it is another case in which your party is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

But if the GOP wishes to change current law (which includes birthright citizenship), then it requires amending the Constitution.

No, it doesn’t.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: October 31, 2018, 01:19:41 AM »

Red lives in his own private KKKlanistan where George Wallace is still god-emperor. Red also likes showing off his meth teeth. It’s much easier for him than coming up with something interesting or relevant to say.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: October 31, 2018, 02:07:47 AM »

Take a shot, Socrates.

No, it doesn’t.

From your response, you appear clueless.

That's really not sufficiently pointed to expose just how deeply clueless you truly are, Redd.

You don't understand the origins of this country, including the Constitution, and the basis for birthright citizenship.

You don't understand either the language or the intent of our mid-century laws, including though not exclusively, the 14th Amendment.

And you don't understand your own party's bigotry which underlies this cynical effort by President Trump which has been repudiated even by the Speaker of the House (for all that he will not hold that job long).

The 14th Amendment reads:
Every person born within the limits of the United States, and subject to their jurisdiction, is by virtue of natural law and national law a citizen of the United States. This will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States, but will include every other class of persons.

There was considerable discussion in the Senate concerning this language, especially with an eye to (a) "every person born within the limits of the United States" and (b) "subjecxt to their jurisdiction."

The exclusions were narrow and explicitly written. This... will include every other class of persons."

Not "a few other classes of persons." Not "every other class of persons except those whom a future president or a future poster on a message board wishes to exclude." The restrictions that you (and President Trump) see in this passage are illusory, a product of fervent wishful thinking that has no bearing on the truth.

Nor do we need to try to interpret the meaning, for all that (a) you wish to and (b) Justice Gray did in 1898; they spelled it out in creating the 14th Amendment.

Senator Cowan of California took your side on whether children of aliens should be permitted, fearing both the Chinese offspring in California and the Gypsies in his native Pennsylvania. Senator Conness, also of California, responded, “The proposition before us . . . relates simply in that respect to the children begotten of Chinese parents in California, and it is proposed to declare that they shall be citizens. . . . I am in favor of doing so. . . .”

Both the proponents of the 14th Amendment and its opponents understood that it included children of aliens - ALL aliens, except those explicitly excluded. This is explored (voluminously) by Justice Gray's decision, as previously noted. But it is reaffirmed in multiple decisions since, like Plyler v. Doe, in which the majority held that illegal alien children are people "in any ordinary sense of the term." This flew in the face of the argument from Texas that illegal aliens were not "within the jurisdiction" of the state and thus could not claim protections under the Fourteenth Amendment.

The majority stated that, "no plausible distinction with respect to Fourteenth Amendment 'jurisdiction' can be drawn between resident immigrants whose entry into the United States was lawful, and resident immigrants whose entry was unlawful."

Even the dissent agreed with that understanding, Redd.

This is what the 14th Amendment means: "Every person born within the limits of the United States, and subject to their jurisdiction, is by virtue of natural law and national law a citizen of the United States."

Senator Howard, again: “[Section 1] will, if adopted by the states, forever disable every one of them from passing laws trenching upon those fundamental rights and privileges which pertain to citizens of the United States, and to all persons who may happen to be within their jurisdiction. It establishes equality before the law, and it gives to the humblest, the poorest, the most despised of the race the same rights and the same protection before the law as it gives to the most powerful, the most wealthy, or the most haughty. That, sir, is republican government, as I understand it, and the only one which can claim the praise of a just Government.”

And the opposition, Rogers of New Jersey this time, spelled out the dire consequences of such a bill: ‘The right to vote is a privilege,’ he said. ‘The right to marry is a privilege. The right to contract is a privilege. The right to be a juror is a privilege. The right to be a judge or President of United States is a privilege. I hold if [Section 1] ever becomes a part of the fundamental law of the land it will prevent any state from refusing to allow anything to anybody embraced under this term of privileges and immunities,’ he said. ‘That, sir, will be an introduction to the time when despotism and tyranny will march forth undisturbed and unbroken, in silence and in darkness, in this land which was once the land of freedom...’”

But in truth, it is the despotism of those who wish to exclude others from citizenship and the rights thereto that is at issue. This is what the street adress issue is about, the gerrymandering, the voter ID, the voter suppression efforts in so many states: keeping people opposed to the GOP and its policies from voting.

This attempt to get around the Constitution is just more of the same.

Lincoln would be disgusted by you, Redd, and with good cause.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: October 31, 2018, 03:49:48 AM »

Red’s not worried. He knows the GOP has the terrorist vote sown up.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: October 31, 2018, 08:14:35 AM »

"Subject to THEIR jurisdiction" is apparently the terminology at issue, Joshua.

That their parents are citizens of other lands and thus 'subject to another's jurisdiction".

Onward.  And interesting.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: October 31, 2018, 08:33:09 AM »

Josh copies and pastes a lot of words that he doesn’t understand.

But, just for giggles, how come 54 years after the 14th ammendment was adopted did we need a Congressional Act to to grant citizenship to Native American, every one of whom had been born on American soil?

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: October 31, 2018, 08:36:25 AM »

"Subject to THEIR jurisdiction" is apparently the terminology at issue, Joshua.

That their parents are citizens of other lands and thus 'subject to another's jurisdiction".

Onward.  And interesting.
Uh... you think undocumented aliens are not subject to the jurisdiction of this country? Do you even have any idea what that actually means?
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: October 31, 2018, 08:37:54 AM »

But, just for giggles, how come 54 years after the 14th ammendment was adopted did we need a Congressional Act to to grant citizenship to Native American, every one of whom had been born on American soil?
Because of the unique legal nature of reservations.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: October 31, 2018, 09:25:15 AM »

LOL

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: October 31, 2018, 09:36:59 AM »

LOL
So you either do not understand the point or are unable to defend your. Bee hive as expectorated, as my autocorrect would.say.

My original post would be more accurate if I had said "tribal nations" rather than reservations.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5234 on: October 31, 2018, 09:56:09 AM »

Trumpers excited about this because it is every white supremacist’s wet dream.

Repeal the 14th Amendment that directly overturned Scott v Sanford 1857!

Meanwhile if they really think the president can get rid of a constitutional amendment with the stroke of his executive order pen, what’s to stop a president from dropping the first and second amendments?

Fucking idiots. He blows the Horn of Bullshit and his followers sit up and wag their tails.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 4288