Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2736 2737 [2738] 2739 2740 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1621998 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #41055 on: July 02, 2020, 01:40:15 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/us/alabama-coronavirus-parties-trnd/index.html

Some young people in Alabama are throwing Covid-19 parties, a disturbing competition where people who have coronavirus attend and the first person to get infected receives a payout, local officials said.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #41056 on: July 02, 2020, 01:45:06 PM »

In China and many countries not even the police or military are seen in public with weapons.  I recall visiting Europe for the first time circa 1985 and was a bit uncomfortable seeing Spanish military personnel guarding gov't buildings with semi-automatic weapons.  In China the only time you see guns are armored car guards, who often look poorly trained.  Police on the street do not have firearms. 

That in numerous American states you can just walk around with military style weaponry is bizarre and dangerous.  Just seconds away from a(nother) potential mass shooting.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41057 on: July 02, 2020, 01:49:05 PM »

While people didn't bomb Pearl Harbour.

But they did bomb Tulsa!

And Philadelphia.

Black mayor, if you're reference is to 1985. Also, not Innocents. The entire West Philly neighborhood want MOVE out. Not justifying. Just explaining.

"Not innocents."

Yeah, those evil children! Not an innocent among 'em.

Perhaps the bombing was supposed to only hit the adults?

The mayor was black. The bombers were not. And the neighborhood wanted MOVE out. They did not want their neighborhood firebombed.

The bombing was not Goode's idea, though he agreed to it. Police Commissioner Sambor gave the order, even though there were known to be 5 children inside. His picture is below. The acting State Police Commissioner also signed off on it (and was replaced immediately afterward). He was white, also.

It would not have happened in a white community.

And they would not have shot at the post-bomb folks fleeing the building and fire.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 01:51:26 PM by Echo4 »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #41058 on: July 02, 2020, 02:12:30 PM »

The bombing was not Goode's idea, though he agreed to it

Yes, he did. So it's on him for agreeing to the failed move.

It would not have happened in a white community.. True. Likely true, too, though, a white community would not have allowed Delbert Africa and crew to establish their fortress in the first place. Previous encounters with MOVE had turned violent, also, so it set the table for this disaster.

There was an armed standoff with police,[6] who lobbed tear gas canisters at the building. A 90-minute gunfight ensued, in which one officer was bruised in the back by gunfire.[33] Police used more than ten thousand rounds of ammunition before Commissioner Sambor ordered that the compound be bombed.[33] From a Pennsylvania State Police helicopter, Philadelphia Police Department Lt. Frank Powell proceeded to drop two one-pound bombs (which the police referred to as "entry devices"[32]) made of FBI-supplied Tovex, a dynamite substitute, targeting a fortified, bunker-like cubicle on the roof of the house.[30]

The resulting explosions ignited a fire from fuel for a gasoline-powered generator stored in the rooftop bunker,[11] killing eleven of the people in the house (John Africa, five other adults, and five children aged 7 to 13). The fire spread and eventually destroyed approximately sixty-five nearby houses. Although firefighters had earlier drenched the building prior to the bombing, after the fire broke out, officials said they feared that MOVE would shoot at the firefighters, so held them back.[30][33][34]

Goode later testified at a 1996 trial that he had ordered the fire to be put out after the bunker had burned. Sambor said he received the order, but the fire commissioner testified that he did not receive the order.[35] Ramona Africa, one of the two MOVE survivors from the house, said that police fired at those trying to escape.[36]

Source: wikipedia.

Pretty bad.

But not a fair comparison to Tulsa.

I think you are just trying to drop your own bomb and trying to start your own fire, here.

It makes as much sense to compare MOVE HQ bombing with Tulsa bombing as it does to compare the Boston police shooting of Red Sox fan Victoria Snelgrove to the shooting of Tamir Rice.

Carry on.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #41059 on: July 02, 2020, 02:27:37 PM »

Of course there are other, less violent, means when a city decides to move black folks out of a neighborhood. Here's an example:
https://www.baystatebanner.com/2020/07/02/study-finds-higher-eviction-rates-in-black-communities/

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41060 on: July 02, 2020, 02:40:53 PM »

He lasted as long as he could.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #41061 on: July 02, 2020, 02:45:12 PM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2020-07-02/the-virus-and-america-s-divisions

A country that’s turned out more Nobel laureates than any other, led development of the first polio vaccine and, yes, put a man on the moon is now a coronavirus superpower. The U.S. is home to the highest number of Covid-19 cases—2.6 million and counting—and most deaths, at more than 127,000.

The floundering U.S. response has caused a heat blast of criticism directed at the Trump administration. Yet the pandemic also casts an unflattering light on deeper American maladies—politicized science, information bubbles and inequality—decades in the making that have made the country especially vulnerable.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41062 on: July 02, 2020, 02:51:32 PM »

Trump is a shitstorm on an ill tide to any polity that suffers him.

We should definitely kick his weak foolish ass to the curb and his bum party with him.

Roid rage swat boys should have their assignments shifted to laying asphalt on deserted stretches of road.

http://mobile.twitter.com/AttorneyCrump/status/1278655042690703360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1278655042690703360%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailykos.com%2Fstory%2F2020%2F7%2F2%2F1957723%2F--People-with-badges-acting-like-thugs-Florida-cops-laugh-after-firing-rubber-bullets-at-protesters
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Echo4

• View Profile

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #41064 on: July 02, 2020, 02:56:29 PM »

Mayor Goode? Or the Police Commissioner. Try to be clear, Echo. Goode wasn't bad. He had little support from the cops, though, and likely because he was black, too. When Sambore resigned he inferred was because he being made a "surrogate" to Goode.

Um, yeah. He is your boss, dimwit.

Goode actually beat Frank "Il Duce 2.0" Rizzo to win the first time as mayor. And that was a big change in the city at the time. Rizzo's statue was defiantly raised, subsequently, but recently removed, as was his mural in South Philly.

Way past time for that one.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41065 on: July 02, 2020, 02:57:32 PM »

Of course there are other, less violent, means when a city decides to move black folks out of a neighborhood. Here's an example:
https://www.baystatebanner.com/2020/07/02/study-finds-higher-eviction-rates-in-black-communities/

Yup. Hardly the worst example from this city, either. (I liked the article in the PhillyTrib better.)

But that's a national problem, as I have highlighted previously. Boston is egregious, but not the worst. In addition to that kind of problem, there is also environmental racism, justice system injustices, education system failures (Brown v. Board of Ed or no Brown v. Board of Ed), medical bigotry, employment prejudice, and rental/purchasing racial obstructionism.

AKA White Privilege.

I've often felt that Boston should erect a statue to it.

Along with many other cities.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41066 on: July 02, 2020, 02:59:37 PM »

Mayor Goode? Or the Police Commissioner. Try to be clear, Echo. Goode wasn't bad. He had little support from the cops, though, and likely because he was black, too. When Sambore resigned he inferred was because he being made a "surrogate" to Goode.

Um, yeah. He is your boss, dimwit.

Goode actually beat Frank "Il Duce 2.0" Rizzo to win the first time as mayor. And that was a big change in the city at the time. Rizzo's statue was defiantly raised, subsequently, but recently removed, as was his mural in South Philly.

Way past time for that one.

No, neither the mayor nor the commish.

It was not about the MOVE issue at all, but the people to whom it was directed are likely to know of what I speak.

I'm sorry that you were confused.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41067 on: July 02, 2020, 03:02:27 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/ridinwithbiden2020/videos/369086310733973/

A gun-toting, pro-life vet takes issue with President Trump.
The Lincoln Project

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41068 on: July 02, 2020, 03:09:05 PM »

The good news:

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-07-02-20-intl/h_fa914077a7e53a9636a144e228865a08

The new version spreads faster, but it is not in and of itself deadlier (or less deadly).

OTOH, more people infected means the same deadliness will lead to more illnesses.
“Our global tracking data show that the G614 variant in Spike has spread faster than D614,” theoretical biologist Bette Korber of Los Alamos National Laboratory and colleagues wrote in their report. “We interpret this to mean that the virus is likely to be more infectious,” they add. “Interestingly, we did not find evidence of G614 impact on disease severity.”

Unfortunately, it also seems to travel with several other mutations.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #41069 on: July 02, 2020, 03:10:01 PM »

I've often felt that Boston should erect a statue to it.

Certainly Harvard yard would make a fitting place for that construction, given the university's long-term connection to the most powerful members of the US.

In fact, IVY League schools certainly have a ways to go in terms of making an environment friendly to all of its admitted students.

Ike Okonkwo, a recent Harvard graduate, said he remembered thinking, “Why does no one look like me?” when he first arrived on campus. This is something that I have also personally dealt with since preschool, always being one of the few black students in a class. Not seeing yourself represented can be isolating and demotivating. You start to question your worth and whether or not you deserve to be at these institutions. Not only that, but while student diversity is rising, faculty diversity certainly isn’t. According to a study by the US Department of Education in 2014, 74 percent of faculty in institutions of higher education across the country are white. Nine percent are Asian, 5 percent black, and 4 percent Hispanic. According to Harvard freshman Che Applewaite, “Often, it is hard to become what you can’t see.”

And this disparity does more than implicitly discourage students of color. Sometimes the discouragement is right out in the open. “Students of color, myself included, have constantly had to be in classrooms where professors spew microaggressions and do not recognize that the classroom is a politicized space,” Nikkie Ubinas, a senior at Brown, told me. “Students of color feel like they must constantly challenge racism, whether the aggressors are their peers or their own professors.” Dealing with this racism forces students to determine whether or not they can take a class or seek out help from faculty. Alexis Wyatt, a senior at Dartmouth, said she had to leave a seminar and ask the college to form an alternate section because of her professor’s racial biases. All this takes a major toll on students’ mental health.

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/for-students-of-color-ivy-league-schools-have-a-long-way-to-go/
Pages: 1 ... 2736 2737 [2738] 2739 2740 ... 4288