Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 572

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 120982 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #8160 on: April 13, 2024, 07:49:50 AM »

Time to YouTube "Land of Hope and Glory", Vera Lynn.
...and sing it in memory of Christianity in Britain, which is almost dead.

"Land of Hope and Glory, Mother of the free,
How shall we extoll thee, who are born of thee?
Wider still, and wider, shall thy bounds be set;
God who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet!"

« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 04:04:14 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #8161 on: April 13, 2024, 11:15:47 AM »

The spirit of 9/11, the brave "let's roll" guys on the downed plane, lived on today in Bondi (bon dye)...as a guy shopper grabbed a portable bollard and confronted the killer near the top of an escalator, a standoff, preventing him from exiting the escalator and killing more people. Saved lives for sure.
 A very brave thing to do, the killer being taller than him.

Humans, at their finest, can be amazing.  Without its strict gun laws, Australia could have lost many more lives to a maniac with an assault rifle. 
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #8162 on: April 13, 2024, 11:39:51 AM »

For perspective.
According to Gun Facts Info

Guns prevent an estimated 2.5 million crimes a year, or 6,849 every day. Most often, the gun is never fired, and no blood (including the criminal) is shed

Every year, 400,000 life threatening violent crimes are prevented using firearms.

60 percent of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they knew the victim was armed.

Forty percent of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they thought the victim might be armed.

Felons report that they avoid entering houses where people are at home because they fear being shot.

Fewer than 1 percent of firearms are used in the commission of a crime.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 11:43:47 AM by jmmengel »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8163 on: April 13, 2024, 02:10:51 PM »

This just in: 87% of statistics on the internet are simply made up on the spot.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8164 on: April 13, 2024, 02:55:56 PM »

So the mass murderer did not shoot up dozens of people in the mall. Thank god you have reasonable gun laws down there. Your excellent restrictions just saved many lives again.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #8165 on: April 13, 2024, 03:33:39 PM »

This just in: 87% of statistics on the internet are simply made up on the spot.

gunfacts.info

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #8166 on: April 13, 2024, 04:03:22 PM »

Bondi mall killer is "known to law enforcement".
Described by one witness as "scruffy".
By another as "looked like was on drugs".
One report mentions "rough sleeper".
Another mentions "mental illness".

Could be he was "a scruffy, homeless man with a mental illness, on drugs or not, angry at his predicament and 'taking revenge on society.'

Terrorism hasn't been ruled out yet, but seems likely now that it wasn't.
Last thing bambuworld needs is Hamas and their ilk starting up here.

Go woke, go broke.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #8167 on: April 13, 2024, 06:35:53 PM »

The gunfacts website contains biased statements throughout, articles lack specific authors, and information presented from sources that have been described by fact checking websites as biased.  The editor is well known as a political provocateur, not a researcher passionate about facts or unbiased gathering of info.

Also, statistics that purport to precisely quantify prevented actions are notorious for being culled from junk science sources.  400 K life threatening crimes are prevented by firearms?  Gee, how many are prevented by deadbolts? pepper spray?  peaceful arbitration between pissed people?  taking a different walking route?  See, there's no basis for real comparatives with hypotheticals.  Anecdotes from felons who decided NOT to make a certain choice are not reliable for statistical analysis. 
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #8168 on: April 13, 2024, 06:57:37 PM »

The gunfacts website contains biased statements throughout, articles lack specific authors, and information presented from sources that have been described by fact checking websites as biased.  The editor is well known as a political provocateur, not a researcher passionate about facts or unbiased gathering of info.

Also, statistics that purport to precisely quantify prevented actions are notorious for being culled from junk science sources.  400 K life threatening crimes are prevented by firearms?  Gee, how many are prevented by deadbolts? pepper spray?  peaceful arbitration between pissed people?  taking a different walking route?  See, there's no basis for real comparatives with hypotheticals.  Anecdotes from felons who decided NOT to make a certain choice are not reliable for statistical analysis.

LOL!
Why do you not give us some facts compiled by reputable sites except your biased opinions?
Pew Research notes 2021 (pre pandemic)saw the highest total number of gun deaths in the U.S but this statistic does not take into account the US growing population.
On a per capita basis, there were 14.6 gun deaths per 100,000 people in 2021 the highest rate since the early 1990s, but still well below the peak of 16.3 gun deaths per 100,000 people in 1974.

The estimate of gun ownership in the USA is 120 for every100 people.
The 2021 murder by gun numbers were about 23,000.
Obviously guns are used for a lot of reasons, many, many more than for killing people.

You want more gun control laws?
Fine.
But get all the facts on the table.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 07:22:54 PM by jmmengel »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #8169 on: April 13, 2024, 08:54:02 PM »

2021 was pre-pandemic?
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #8170 on: April 13, 2024, 09:14:44 PM »

2021 was pre-pandemic?
Statistics are.
But then you miss the point, anyway.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #8171 on: April 13, 2024, 09:42:59 PM »

2021 was pre-pandemic?
Statistics are.
Oh, I get your point. That is, of course, not what you said.you said 2021 saw the highest rate of gun violence. Which is typical. By phrasing it that way you get to hide who the President was for that very violent year. Not Biden, by the way. Contrary to your idols talking points, violent crime has been decreasing every year since Trump was ignominious defeated.

And if you really want to show guns make us safer, compare stats from the US and those countries with stricter gun laws.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #8172 on: April 13, 2024, 09:53:40 PM »

Bondi mall stabbing killer...identified as 40 yr old Joel Cauchi from Qld (Queensland) state.
Arrived in Sydney 'some time ago', about a month. Photo of him on his Facebook page posing with a surfboard, on page he mentions 'surfing at Bondi,  if anyone would like to join me' (Daily Tele states).
DT article mentions "sleeping rough", "schizophrena".

I went shopping to my mall today, all the time thinking how innocent the victims at Bondi were yesterday.
I valued greatly exiting my mall carpark today, not in Sydney, alive and not wounded.
That Bondi Westfield isn't just large, it's massive...7 floors, 445 retailers incl large dept stores, parking for 3,304 cars. 131,510sqm.
People were reportedly throwing furniture down at the killer from high floors,  trying to stop him getting up to them.
But for "bollard man" as he's being called stopping him on as escalator, he might just have reached the higher floors.

I visited that mall twice last year, got lost the first time...but not the second time, when I did some prior research, took note book and pen, and used phone camera.
On any different day, victims of the stabber could've been anyone who's ever set foot in there.
Many people who were there yesterday are in tears with shock today, one young lady interviewed was trembling, "I thought I was going to die".
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 10:13:47 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #8173 on: April 13, 2024, 10:10:09 PM »

2021 was pre-pandemic?
Statistics are.
Oh, I get your point. That is, of course, not what you said.you said 2021 saw the highest rate of gun violence. Which is typical. By phrasing it that way you get to hide who the President was for that very violent year. Not Biden, by the way. Contrary to your idols talking points, violent crime has been decreasing every year since Trump was ignominious defeated.

And if you really want to show guns make us safer, compare stats from the US and those countries with stricter gun laws.
Well, you fail on all points.
2021 stats were prepandemic since they were compiled through 2020. They naturally went up during the pandemic. It has nothing to do with whomever was in the a White House.
Comparing stats to other countries is as pointless as apples to oranges.

If the issue is gun control remember that in a country of hundreds of millions of adults and even a larger number of guns the number of people killed  by guns is minuscule. And over half of that number counts suicides.
Searching for a way to reduce gun violence may be a noble cause but trying to make guns harder to obtain, or bannng them, will always be next to impossible given the numbers.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #8174 on: April 14, 2024, 12:26:42 PM »

If the issue is gun control remember that in a country of hundreds of millions of adults and even a larger number of guns the number of people killed  by guns is minuscule.

People care about deaths that are preventable.  It is why we have meat inspection, order the removal of lead water pipes, require belts and airbags and other auto safety features, etc.  Any of those causes of death would be tiny in proportion to US population, but unlike natural causes from aging they are preventable.  Because Australia restricted gun ownership to legitimate uses by people with no history of mental illness or violence, the crazy man at the mall could be driven back by a man with a bollard, and deaths were a fraction of what they would be with an AR15.

I have no problem with gun ownership by sane people without criminal history, who wish to hunt venison or responsibly keep a home protection gun in a properly secured location.  I see no second amendment threat in required background checks or required formal training in gun handling and storage.  These are certainly required for any well-regulated militia.

Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 572