Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1940 1941 [1942] 1943 1944 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1640796 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #29115 on: March 16, 2020, 08:16:42 PM »

1. Will we begin to see quarantines imposed by federal or state leaders?

This entire discussion started with this simple question.  Why didnt you comment on the state part of it?

We've already seen one instance of that sort. That's why, for me. I can't speak for Ward.

My hope is that we will not have cause to see more.
Whatever that is supposed to mean.

So much density contained in so few words, Ward.

You are thicker than a redwood.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29116 on: March 16, 2020, 08:29:53 PM »

Three questions to watch:
2. How will federal resources be deployed to assist in state and local efforts to combat coronavirus?
3. How extensively will coronavirus disrupt our normal civic functioning including courts and elections?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/opinions/supreme-court-coronavirus-postponed-opinion-cross-exam-honig/index.html

3.  ...Ohio ( for example)is barring any in person voting in its Primary before Election  Day.

It turns out that Ward is wrong about this, too.

And I thought that their Primary was going to be postponed, but a judge turned down the governor.

Early voting:
https://www.ohiosos.gov/elections/voters/voting-schedule/2020-schedule/#gref

Judge turns down governor's request:
https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200316/coronavirus-judge-denies-request-to-move-ohio-primary-to-june-2
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #29117 on: March 16, 2020, 08:33:25 PM »

This entire discussion started with this simple question.  Why didnt you comment on the state part of it?

We've already seen one instance of that sort. That's why, for me. I can't speak for Ward.

My hope is that we will not have cause to see more.
Whatever that is supposed to mean.

So much density contained in so few words, Ward.

Keep reading. Sooner or later you will get it.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #29118 on: March 16, 2020, 08:43:49 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #29119 on: March 16, 2020, 08:54:54 PM »

Priorities, Yo!

Packing the courts and buying votes while the world turns upside down...

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/2020/03/16/mitch-mcconnell-urging-judges-retire-ahead-2020-election/5060303002/
Harry Reid and Obama taught him well

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29120 on: March 16, 2020, 09:31:12 PM »

Three questions to watch:
2. How will federal resources be deployed to assist in state and local efforts to combat coronavirus?
3. How extensively will coronavirus disrupt our normal civic functioning including courts and elections?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/opinions/supreme-court-coronavirus-postponed-opinion-cross-exam-honig/index.html

3.  ...Ohio ( for example)is barring any in person voting in its Primary before Election  Day.

It turns out that Ward is wrong about this, too.

And I thought that their Primary was going to be postponed, but a judge turned down the governor.

Early voting:
https://www.ohiosos.gov/elections/voters/voting-schedule/2020-schedule/#gref

Judge turns down governor's request:
https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200316/coronavirus-judge-denies-request-to-move-ohio-primary-to-june-2
LOL
DeWine lost the Court Case which means his decision on Election Day voting is moot.

Yes, Ward, that was what I said. Very good.

The other thing I said was that you were wrong about no voting until election day.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #29121 on: March 16, 2020, 09:37:21 PM »

Priorities, Yo!

Packing the courts and buying votes while the world turns upside down...

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/2020/03/16/mitch-mcconnell-urging-judges-retire-ahead-2020-election/5060303002/
Harry Reid and Obama taught him well

Fuck off.

Accumulation of power is no substitute for governing. But #MoscowMitch never gave a shit about governing.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/12/republican-party-obstructionism-victory-trump-214498
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #29123 on: March 16, 2020, 09:48:00 PM »

1/22 - “We have it totally under control.”

2/2 - “We shut it down.”

2/10 - "It goes away with the heat.”

2/26 - “The number of people infected is going down."

2/27 - “It’s going to disappear.”

3/10 - “Just stay calm. It will go away.”

3/13 - * Declares National Emergency

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #29124 on: March 16, 2020, 09:50:30 PM »

Stop using ibuprofen

Better advice. Don’t listen to advice from people on the internet.

barton

« Reply #29125 on: March 16, 2020, 09:52:40 PM »

So mankind has to survive as best it can for about a year until vaccine is made?

Luee, the first pass at a vaccine was given to the first human today. If it works, then there is a chance we will get one in a year, but closer to 18 months is still more likely, no matter how we rush it.

There are companies and governments all over the world and I suppose one of them might announce one before that, but the scientific community is going to be pretty skeptical that all the Ts were crossed and all the Is were dotted.

You have super programs and computers, each day saved saves hundreds of lives. Rush it through.

Not how clinical trials work.   Unless it's in a B movie. 

barton

« Reply #29126 on: March 16, 2020, 10:11:56 PM »

Another theory holds that the 1918 virus mutated extremely rapidly to a less lethal strain. This is a common occurrence with influenza viruses: there is a tendency for pathogenic viruses to become less lethal with time, as the hosts of more dangerous strains tend to die out[11] (see also "Deadly Second Wave", above).

Hope in some places

Of course, this is not an influenza virus. It's a coronavirus.

Cv19 is a respiratory virus,  and so has some similarities with strains of seasonal flu.   The main difference is its novelty in human populations, which means that immune systems are less able to deal, and thus its greater lethality. SARS,  MERS,  and the common cold are all forms of coronavirus, which is a whole family of viruses with similar morphology and a "corona" of club-shaped proteins.     

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29127 on: March 16, 2020, 10:39:57 PM »

Another theory holds that the 1918 virus mutated extremely rapidly to a less lethal strain. This is a common occurrence with influenza viruses: there is a tendency for pathogenic viruses to become less lethal with time, as the hosts of more dangerous strains tend to die out[11] (see also "Deadly Second Wave", above).

Hope in some places

Of course, this is not an influenza virus. It's a coronavirus.

Cv19 is a respiratory virus,  and so has some similarities with strains of seasonal flu.   The main difference is its novelty in human populations, which means that immune systems are less able to deal, and thus its greater lethality. SARS,  MERS,  and the common cold are all forms of coronavirus, which is a whole family of viruses with similar morphology and a "corona" of club-shaped proteins.     

The novelty is important for the reasons you give, but incidental to the differences between the two diseases, in many ways.

(T)here is a fundamental difference in how flu and Covid-19 kill. Many deaths from flu are caused by secondary bacterial pneumonia and heart attacks that develop after the flu has weakened someone's resistance. With Covid-19, most deaths are caused by acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), which causes already-damaged lungs to fill with fluid, and makes breathing difficult. Unlike pneumonia, there is no pharmaceutical treatment for ARDS. That is why a potential shortage of ventilators is so dangerous: They are the last-ditch supportive treatment for Covid-19 while the body heals itself.

The other huge difference is in the ages it seems to impact. The flu clobbers kids just as surely as adults and elders. COVID-19 seems not to.

If it caused pneumonia, there would be something we could do more pro-actively.

The *major* similarity between the two lies in the preventative steps one takes.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #29128 on: March 16, 2020, 10:47:16 PM »

Yesterday on my tv I saw people in LA lining up to buy supplies...
...of guns!
Guns, guns, and more guns.
Handguns, semi auto rifles, and many boxes of ammunition...in case society collapses.

Society has already descended into chaos downunder...with people 'stealing' in-demand items including toilet paper out of the trolley/cart of a blind woman [with a guide dog], in a supermarket.
Can't get much lower than that.

Men in blue singlets are climbing over women in the supermarket to get to the toilet paper first.
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #29129 on: March 16, 2020, 11:23:17 PM »

Yesterday on my tv I saw people in LA lining up to buy supplies...
...of guns!
Guns, guns, and more guns.
Handguns, semi auto rifles, and many boxes of ammunition...in case society collapses.

Society has already descended into chaos downunder...with people 'stealing' in-demand items including toilet paper out of the trolley/cart of a blind woman [with a guide dog], in a supermarket.
Can't get much lower than that.

Men in blue singlets are climbing over women in the supermarket to get to the toilet paper first.

I would draw a picture for you but you wouldn't be able to understand it.

No need, I've seen the pictures on tv.
The LA gun folk, the blind lady who was 'robbed', and just now a cctv grab of the men in blue singlets [which will no doubt be on the tv news tonite].

I saw the empty shelves in my supermarket this morning when I attended 'happy hour[7am -8am] for the elderly and disabled'.
Luckily I was able to grab a packet of paper towels and a packet of toilet paper before the shelves were completely bare.
I didn't climb over any women to get them.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/elderly-and-disabled-leave-supermarkets-empty-handed-despite-dedicated-shopping-hour/ar-BB11gWHG?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

Elderly and disabled leave supermarkets empty-handed despite dedicated shopping hour

#####

France is in total lockdown...no one is allowed out of their homes without a very good reason, or else.
People are stocking up because they think the same thing as in France might happen where they live...seems to me.
Many people don't seem to believe anymore what politicians tell them.

Go woke, go broke.
Pages: 1 ... 1940 1941 [1942] 1943 1944 ... 4288