Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2740 2741 [2742] 2743 2744 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1623400 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #41115 on: July 03, 2020, 09:53:07 AM »

Making excuses for Biden already.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #41116 on: July 03, 2020, 09:58:09 AM »

Trump on Ghislane Maxwell.
https://youtu.be/-Djx-mSFtM0

That guys nails the true-Trumpiness of ignorance and ability to lie straight-faced to any audience and he's got the voice and rhythm down.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #41117 on: July 03, 2020, 10:03:36 AM »

Making excuses for Biden already.

Nope-just examining the realpolitiks of how the Repubs will try to sabotage Biden and the Dems in their quest to regain power and steal the country for the rich and powerful and corrupt.

barton

« Reply #41118 on: July 03, 2020, 10:04:49 AM »

Just repairing the damage to EPA,  BLM,  and various science agencies may take a decade.   Highly trained and competent people were driven out, along with a basic respect for hard data.   Erasing science with a Sharpie was a dark stain on America.   
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 10:07:19 AM by barton »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #41119 on: July 03, 2020, 10:10:43 AM »

Just repairing the damage to EPA,  BLM,  and various science agencies may take a decade.   Highly trained and competent people were driven out, along with a basic respect for hard data.

My guess is there are lots of highly trained and educated people in lots of different areas who may see the personal and professional benefits of helping rebuild critical Federal agencies that the Trump/Repubs destroyed, and dare I say have a hand in making America great again!

oilcan

« Reply #41120 on: July 03, 2020, 10:13:13 AM »

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/07/01/886445904/boston-to-remove-statue-depicting-abraham-lincoln-with-freed-black-man-at-his-fe?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=nprblogsliveupdatesprotestsforracialjustice

Just seeing the pic tells the story.   

Though this is all small potatoes compared to what's been done to the federal bench.   Decades of partisan hacks ruling on hot button issues of human rights and the quality of our air,  water,  shorelines,  lands...

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41121 on: July 03, 2020, 10:15:52 AM »

"Good for Rutgers"

I hear WHOOPI GOLDBERG STATE is atop The list of new names

Curious where you went to college, assuming that happened.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41122 on: July 03, 2020, 10:16:54 AM »

Trump on Ghislane Maxwell.
https://youtu.be/-Djx-mSFtM0

That guys nails the true-Trumpiness of ignorance and ability to lie straight-faced to any audience and he's got the voice and rhythm down.

And he's from Bloomfield, NJ.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #41123 on: July 03, 2020, 10:26:18 AM »

W Bush And Trump fucked things up so badly, especially in regard to economic disasters in their final years, that they bequeath to a DEM president a lot of heavy lifting and cleaning up to do.  Of course this puts a damper and limit on enacting a liberal agenda.  Tax cuts are intended to hamper the Dems, and I presume economic disasters are just a result of misgovernance and incompetence rather than intentional strategy. 

From domestic issues: race divisions, the economy, healthcare, voter suppression efforts, environmental, to foreign policy: rebuilding long-term alliances that have served us well, rechecking and assessing complicated and contentious relations with China and Russia, and showing to the world we side with democracy and not authoritarian oppressive countries.

But most of that was/is standard GOP awfulness.
The only thing Trump really added was making racism visible and acceptable again (in some quarters).  The weird dealings with China should be easy to resettle.  While the Russia relationship has been weird, it never got as cozy as Trump wanted --  probably the only area that the GOP pushed back Trump, up until some recent  election-year distancing as Trump goes into free fall.

Sidenote.  There was an AP article about Trump dual Russia policy -- buddy up to Putin but also sanctions.  Which I think reflects the GOP not on board with Trump's Russophilia.   Trump’s two Russias confound coherent US policy  But bizarrely an article about Trump and Russia never mentions his negotiations to build the tallest building in Moscow, which would need Putin's approval/involvement and potentially make Trump $100M.  I don't understand how that has been forgotten, especially since Trump straight out lied about not having any business with Russia. 

They really need to make an ad contrasting Trump's support for Putin and Russia, while also listing all the awful things Russia has done (invading and stealing Crimea; fomenting a war in Ukraine; poisoning opponents in the UK; killing journalists and political opponents; trying to rig the US election in favor of Trump by hacking the Dems and giving the material to wikileaks; plus other US election interference).
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41124 on: July 03, 2020, 10:30:52 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/03/health/coronavirus-lockdown-lifting-deadly-charts-intl/index.html

Many country maps which outline the lies the GOP and Kid tell about how it's not Trump's fault.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #41125 on: July 03, 2020, 10:42:34 AM »

Trump actually couldn't leave the Paris Accords.  He just put them on notice the US was going to pull out, but there was a 3 year moratorium on leaving (after signing), and that date isn't until after the election, mid-November I think.

China was enjoying the status quo, so they'll take a deal normalizing the relationship, including buying more US farm products and evening out the trade deficit.  They'll concede a fair amount.  They know they've been making out like bandits (literally in the case of IP) and knew things would change some after a while.

Biden and a Dem Congress could get the Iran deal back in place.  Europe still favors it, Iran still willing to abide by it if sanctions are eased/lifted, as the deal called for.

Anyway, my argument is that any GOP WH and Senate was going to screw us over and up, and Trump really only inflamed racism -- and there's a strong backlash now to that -- and the disastrous COVID response.  I have to figure a Pence or any other GOP would have done a poor job but still way better than Trump's hands-off and totally disorganized approach.  Except for those two issues, Trump basically governed as a standard GOPer.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41126 on: July 03, 2020, 10:53:58 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-detroit-study/index.html

Detroit study says that hydroxychloroquine helped coronavirus patients survive better

A surprising result out of Detroit.

A team at Henry Ford Health System in Southeast Michigan said Thursday its study of 2,541 hospitalized patients found that those given hydroxychloroquine were much less likely to die.

Dr. Marcus Zervos, division head of infectious disease for Henry Ford Health System, said 26% of those not given hydroxychloroquine died, compared to 13% of those who got the drug. The team looked back at everyone treated in the hospital system since the first patient in March.

"Overall crude mortality rates were 18.1% in the entire cohort, 13.5% in the hydroxychloroquine alone group, 20.1% among those receiving hydroxychloroquine plus azithromycin, 22.4% among the azithromycin alone group, and 26.4% for neither drug," the team wrote in a report published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases.

Now we have to figure out why we are getting such divergent results. The folks at Henry Ford Hospital think it's because their patients were getting it before any serious symptoms were showing, but that is yet to be tested.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41127 on: July 03, 2020, 10:59:30 AM »

Trump actually couldn't leave the Paris Accords.  He just put them on notice the US was going to pull out, but there was a 3 year moratorium on leaving (after signing), and that date isn't until after the election, mid-November I think.

The day after the election.

Article 28 of the agreement enables parties to withdraw from the agreement after sending a withdrawal notification to the depositary, but notice can be given no earlier than three years after the agreement goes into force for the country. Withdrawal is effective one year after the depositary is notified. Alternatively, the Agreement stipulates that withdrawal from the UNFCCC, under which the Paris Agreement was adopted, would also withdraw the state from the Paris Agreement. The conditions for withdrawal from the UNFCCC are the same as for the Paris Agreement. The agreement does not specify provisions for non-compliance.

On 4 August 2017, the Trump administration delivered an official notice to the United Nations that the U.S. intends to withdraw from the Paris Agreement as soon as it is legally eligible to do so.[74] The formal notice of withdrawal could not be submitted until the agreement was in force for 3 years for the US, on 4 November 2019.[75][76] On 4 November the US government deposited the withdrawal notification with the Secretary General of the United Nations, the depositary of the agreement.[77]

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #41128 on: July 03, 2020, 11:06:00 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-detroit-study/index.html

Detroit study says that hydroxychloroquine helped coronavirus patients survive better

A surprising result out of Detroit.

shhhhhhh...

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #41129 on: July 03, 2020, 11:19:13 AM »

Anyway, my argument is that any GOP WH and Senate was going to screw us over and up, and Trump really only inflamed racism -- and there's a strong backlash now to that -- and the disastrous COVID response.  I have to figure a Pence or any other GOP would have done a poor job but still way better than Trump's hands-off and totally disorganized approach.  Except for those two issues, Trump basically governed as a standard GOPer.

I think you grossly underestimated the cult of Trump and his attacks on so many US institutions, from Constituionasl rights, his belief he is above the law, the role of a free press in a democracy, underming the role of the government in governing, his dismantling oversight, all to empower himself, is a dangerous precedent for future US monarchs.

That in your words trump "only inflamed racism" and disasterous COVID response is IMO a a huge understatement to his dangerous and devastating impact on this country.

IMO a competent and honest Republican (McCain-RIP, Romney, Kasich and a few others) would have favored pro-corporate tax legislation or other pro-business/anti-consumer legislation, that might have hurt/weakened the environment, and I wouls have taken issue with, BUT they would not have gut American core principles that have weakened us to the point that not only do we no longer trust one another, but that distrust is turning to dangerous rage.

Nor would they have weakened our alliances with our friends and cozied up to fascists and our enemies, who will always be dangerous rivals. I do not understand the cult of Trump nor how it got such a stranglehold, but I think there are a few decent Repubs left, but they've bailed on the party (Lincoln Project etc)  as they understand how dangerous Trump is to the long-rerm interests of our democracy.

IMO the legacy of the Trump era will be longer-lasting than you imagine. In fact, the idea that  empty-suit right-wing ideolog Tucker Carslon might be the natural successor to Trump and the revival of Republican fortunes speaks eloquently to the long-term dangerous impact Trump has had on us.   
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 11:21:16 AM by bankshot1 »
Pages: 1 ... 2740 2741 [2742] 2743 2744 ... 4288