Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1968 1969 [1970] 1971 1972 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1628471 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #29535 on: March 22, 2020, 03:54:47 PM »

I get that the mantra is "government cant get its act together and meanwhile PEOPLE ARE DYING!"

Those currently dying would be dying anyway.  Maybe a discussion needs to be had on treatment/possible CURING of these unlucky folk rather than shooting arrows at what appears to you to be low hanging fruit.

Such bullshit, Kid.

There is nothing that discussion here is going to do about treatment or CURING anymore than it is about dying. The clinical tests are underway, double-blind and with placebos. It would be great if we knew those results immediately, but we can't. It would be great if the drugs were immediately available if they are found effective, but they won't be.

"Novartis has 50 million doses in stock, and hopes to produce another 80 million by the end of May for donation."

IF the hydroxychloroquine works as suggested, then between Novaris and the other 7 manufacturers, there MIGHT be enough doses by the end of the summer, UNLESS we can contain the spread of this disease on a worldwide basis.

Those are two big conjectures. We've gone from 275k to 340k in two days, with ~11% added each day. For the non-mathematically inclined, that would result in over 8.6 million cases around the globe in a month. I'm hoping that the rate of new cases dies down. With that, I am hoping that the rate of new deaths also slows down. Unfortunately, we are adding new deaths worldwide faster than we are adding new cases - between 12% and 14% - close to 490 thousand in a month.

And... China's new cases number has creeped up for 6 consecutive days, after falling to single digits.

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #29536 on: March 22, 2020, 04:08:11 PM »

Well, I am down to my last half of a roll of toilet paper. Who would have thought that we would run out of toilet paper?

I am going to ride my bicycle down to the store, and hopefully they have toilet paper.

And all of the food delivery places need to deliver toilet paper with the food, including the food banks, the food banks need to pass out toilet paper.

You can get toilet paper with an MRE from what I understand.

Part of emergency preparedness should be making sure that the public has toilet paper. And we have the Julianna Warehouse right down the street, they can store products in the warehouse for emergencies. And there can be other warehouses with stuff for emergencies.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 04:11:01 PM by FlyingVProd »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29537 on: March 22, 2020, 04:26:42 PM »

And... China's new cases number has creeped up for 6 consecutive days, after falling to single digits.

Bo?  What about it?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29538 on: March 22, 2020, 04:27:47 PM »

The US and the states can't organize and coordinate and keep track of this?  Shortages?   Embarrassing.  We'd be shaking our heads if say Mexico were performing like this.

We dont want every American on line geting a test anyway.

We do want every American to either self-quarantine for two weeks or to get a test, Kid.

That we cannot do it is beside the point.

We want it because one can be asymptomatic and still be a carrier, so if we only test those with the symptoms you list, we will miss a substantial number of cases which will prolong the problem.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29539 on: March 22, 2020, 04:28:10 PM »

Well, I am down to my last half of a roll of toilet paper. Who would have thought that we would run out of toilet paper?

I am going to ride my bicycle down to the store, and hopefully they have toilet paper.

And all of the food delivery places need to deliver toilet paper with the food, including the food banks, the food banks need to pass out toilet paper.

Part of emergency preparedness should be making sure that the public has toilet paper. And we have the Julianna Warehouse right down the street, they can store products in the warehouse for emergencies. And there can be other warehouses with stuff for emergencies.

Salute,

Tony V.

If you are not able to get to where the toilet paper is available, this is a problem separate from there being a shortage of toilet paper.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29540 on: March 22, 2020, 04:30:06 PM »

We do want every American to either self-quarantine for two weeks or to get a test, Kid.

We want Americans to live by protocol set forth by their governor.

If you think the governor is a fuckup and wish to do even MORE - be even more careful than he/she suggests - sure - do that.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29541 on: March 22, 2020, 04:32:45 PM »

States/cities are starting free testing for medical/first responder/etc.

Will vary by locale, I am sure.  Do you trust your local officials?  I do at this point (mayor and gov both Democrat).

barton

« Reply #29542 on: March 22, 2020, 04:36:54 PM »

Well damn!

"What a revoltin' development this is!“

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/rand-paul-becomes-first-known-senator-test-positive-coronavirus-n1166111

Poetic justice...

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/senate-coronavirus-bill-vote-delayed-after-rand-paul-pushes-doomed-n1162356

I love the self-congratulatory tone of "out of an abundance of caution."

More like out of adequate caution.

It's nice that he thinks nobody has come in contact with him.

Given his (to borrow that term in DeeJ's hilarious video,  posted up this page) dumbfuckery, I think the Senate should move to expel him.   This week was not the time to toss a wrench into the gears of passing a relief bill.   

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29543 on: March 22, 2020, 04:39:31 PM »

Seems there was not an endless supply from China -

https://time.com/5785223/medical-masks-coronavirus-covid-19/   from 2/27

likely due to every Chinaman/woman thinking they needed one for everyday living.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29544 on: March 22, 2020, 04:41:29 PM »

This week was not the time to toss a wrench into the gears of passing a relief bill.   

There are a few wrenches in the current bill - trust me

Reportedly a vote is set for 6 pm but we shall see

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29545 on: March 22, 2020, 04:42:31 PM »

We want Americans to live by protocol set forth by their governor.

If you think the governor is a fuckup and wish to do even MORE - be even more careful than he/she suggests - sure - do that.

No, Kid.

Your comment has nothing to do with my point.

I am discussing what would be the surest way to wipe out the disease.

You are discussing logistics.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29546 on: March 22, 2020, 04:43:45 PM »

Salute,

Tony V.

If you are not able to get to where the toilet paper is available, this is a problem separate from there being a shortage of toilet paper.

And again, no.

If the place he can get to is the place he would normally be able to buy the TP, but they have none, it is because too many people are hoarding it and deliveries cannot keep up with the bizarre demand.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29547 on: March 22, 2020, 05:02:38 PM »

Update:   Booker says bill is currently not acceptable after McConnell moved for changes last night

"Gag and vote for it" advice to his people only goes so far.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29548 on: March 22, 2020, 05:04:01 PM »

If the place he can get to is the place he would normally be able to buy the TP, but they have none, it is because too many people are hoarding it and deliveries cannot keep up with the bizarre demand.

and...?

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #29549 on: March 22, 2020, 05:15:22 PM »

China says that all but one of the cases yesterday were from outsiders arriving in China.  From Friday, all those arriving form other countries face mandatory 14 day quarantine.

The CBA is slated to resume play April 15.  A number of American player have returned to China and face a 14 day holing-up  before they can practice with their team.  I was somewhat surprised so many (8-10 so far) came back under those terms, but then again the US is going into lockdown mode, and the virus is spreading much more in the US these days.

It seems the CBA will hold games in just two cities and with no fans.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 1968 1969 [1970] 1971 1972 ... 4288