Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 594

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 132870 times)

Oiled

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #5445 on: September 08, 2023, 10:33:29 AM »

claims

You found one disgruntled scientist whose professional detachment has been subverted by partisan right-wing narratives and is striking the classic victim posture.  Wonder who sponsored his research?

I'm guessing, based on my knowledge of the peer review process in publishing science papers, that his research was discovered to have methodological problems and compromised data that meant it simply didn't meet standards of scientific rigor. 

That you had to dredge this from the Daily Mail  suggests much of the real story is missing here.
Why sleep at home when you can sleep in Congress?

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #5446 on: September 08, 2023, 04:16:00 PM »

claims

You found one disgruntled scientist whose professional detachment has been subverted by partisan right-wing narratives and is striking the classic victim posture.  Wonder who sponsored his research?

I'm guessing, based on my knowledge of the peer review process in publishing science papers, that his research was discovered to have methodological problems and compromised data that meant it simply didn't meet standards of scientific rigor. 

That you had to dredge this from the Daily Mail  suggests much of the real story is missing here.

Or, that's what is widespread...having to conform to the 'narrative', or else.
It's what is allegedly happening in bambuworld high schools and universities.
So I'm  believing the scientist.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #5447 on: September 08, 2023, 05:42:07 PM »

We need to have a kinder and gentler society with a loving community, instead of crime and gang wars.

Instead of raising the children to be violent little gang members and drug dealers then we need to raise them to be the new leaders for Hollywood, we need for them to grow up and to rule Hollywood. We need for our children to grow up to be wise, educated, polite, and well mannered, like the people who built Hollywood.

My ancestors came to California during the Great Depression, and they were poor but they were honest, and they worked hard, they all started out picking fruit, etc, and they worked their way up. My Grandmother went to Business School and she helped my Grandfather to open a Business, he owned a Hard Wood Floor Company in Hollywood, and they lived in a neighborhood with the movie stars, Roy Rogers and his first wife Arlene were neighbors with my Grandparents.

My Grandparents worked hard so that they could be upstanding members of the community. And they were friends with everyone in Hollywood, and they went to Hollywood parties and my Grandfather loved to do the Waltz, they loved to do Ball Room Dancing on Saturday Nights in Hollywood. They would wine and dine and dance with the stars.

My Grandfather died when I was a child, but my Grandmother did everything she could to teach me how to be polite, and well mannered, and to have high class, and to be honest and to work hard, and I studied and trained to try to take my rightful place as a leader here in Hollywood. We will see how far I can go.

We need to teach the youth of Hollywood how to be the next generation of leaders here in Hollywood. And we want nice communities with high classed people and a well mannered and polite society, and we need for people to help the homeless, and to keep the communities nice, etc.

And we need Charm School Classes in our High Schools, and we need to teach the students Ball Room Dancing, etc, along with the skills needed to run the film and television studios, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #5448 on: September 08, 2023, 06:30:00 PM »

Aha, Charm school...I could learn how to charm people to believe in me, and all my ideas, beliefs.
I could also run one, and charge money to learn the secrets of a happy and safe life today.

xxx

The progressive barn dance was my favourite dance, females had to dance with you!  lol

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #5449 on: September 08, 2023, 07:36:50 PM »

Aha, Charm school...I could learn how to charm people to believe in me, and all my ideas, beliefs.
I could also run one, and charge money to learn the secrets of a happy and safe life today.

xxx

The progressive barn dance was my favourite dance, females had to dance with you!  lol

It is always good to be a Gentleman. And you would be a good teacher, Bambu, you are patient and kind with a genuine love for humanity.

A friend from New York just told me that New York has Charm School in the schools for the children, she is from Brooklyn and she was in Charm School in the 5th Grade. They taught her a lot of good stuff.

And Charm School is important for the Men as well as the Women.

Salute,

Tony V.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5451 on: September 08, 2023, 09:52:36 PM »

Mission Impossible

https://gradycartoons.com/recent-works/

Cause two faces just does not cut it anymore in GOP world.

I especially like the purple text. Well done, that.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Oiled

• View Profile

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #5453 on: September 09, 2023, 01:18:38 PM »

claims

Well.

Oilcan chest puffing his knowledge of the peer review process (LOL) is a joke.

As Brown easily explained as quoted by numerous news outlets.
  the study did not look at poor forest management and other factors that are just as important to fire behavior because I knew that it would detract from the clean narrative centered on the negative impact of climate change and thus decrease the odds that the paper would pass muster with Nature editors and reviewers.

California Assembly leader James Gallagher, a Republican, blasted liberals by saying that they cherry-pick data to fit their agenda.

Patrick Brown is saying the quiet part out loud,  liberals are cherry picking data to fit an agenda and push radical policies that drive up the cost of living.
Climate change is a Democrats excuse to avoid blame for turning our forests into tinderboxes.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5454 on: September 09, 2023, 02:02:20 PM »

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/9/9/2192366/-Florida-s-brain-drain-continues-unabated-new-survey-shows

No one wants to share a state with Red or Luee. They are each as close to being a superfund site as a human being can get.

Richard P. Feynman

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #5455 on: September 09, 2023, 05:41:19 PM »

claims

Well.

the study did not look at poor forest management and other factors that are just as important to fire behavior because I knew that it would detract from the clean narrative centered on the negative impact of climate change and thus decrease the odds that the paper would pass muster with Nature editors and reviewers.

California Assembly leader James Gallagher, a Republican, blasted liberals by saying that they cherry-pick data to fit their agenda.

Patrick Brown is saying the quiet part out loud,  liberals are cherry picking data to fit an agenda and push radical policies that drive up the cost of living.
Climate change is a Democrats excuse to avoid blame for turning our forests into tinderboxes.

We are talking past each other.   I am not asserting that either liberals or conservatives in politics don't cherrypick data.  Politicians gotta politick.  I am saying that SCIENTISTS who cherrypick data are usually caught out in the peer review process and that it has more often been contrarian RW and partisan researchers who have been found to be doing this cherrypicking.  (and often, sponsored by oil companies).  Someone who is not a scientist and is a politician courting RW voters and donors, like Gallagher, is not at all to be trusted when he projects cherry picking onto liberals and labels policies as "radical."  As for carbon neutral policy driving up living costs,  it is more likely that rising average temperatures and ice melting will be far more expensive to everyone on this planet as we deal with crop failures, arable land losses, fisheries decline, property destroyed by wildfires, floods, hurricanes, submergence of coastal areas, etc. 

The Dutch chip in on a million dollar dike because they know a storm surge will make a 100 million dollar flood. 

(that's a metaphor, so spare me a citation dump on dike infrastructure costs)

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #5456 on: September 09, 2023, 07:26:32 PM »

claims

Well.

We are talking past each other.   I am not asserting that either liberals or conservatives in politics don't cherrypick data.  Politicians gotta politick.
Patrick Brown is not a politician
I am saying that SCIENTISTS who cherrypick data are usually caught out in the peer review process and that it has more often been contrarian RW and partisan researchers who have been found to be doing this cherrypicking.
Patrick Brown] concentrated on human error in his Maui Hurricane analysis.  What did he cherry-pick?
Someone who is not a scientist and is a politician courting RW voters and donors, like Gallagher, is not at all to be trusted when he projects cherry picking onto liberals and labels policies as radical.
   Gallagher is a member of Congress pointing out that the the policies of Biden and AOC et al will ruin us economically.
As for carbon neutral policy driving up living costs, 
exactly what it will do since Net Zero will cost each American a minimum of $ 11grand a year which is why it WILL NOT HAPPEN! EVER.
[
it is more likely that rising average temperatures and ice melting will be far more expensive to everyone on this planet as we deal with crop failures, arable land losses, fisheries decline, property destroyed by wildfires, floods, hurricanes, submergence of coastal areas, etc. 
So what happened in LA when Smog enveloped it in the fifties? Did we ban automobiles?
No American businessmen came up with a cheap fix, the catalytic Converter, and the smog went away.
There are a million similar stories all over the world of how we adapt. Last check I made the world has more people and more wealth than ever.

The Dutch chip in on a million dollar dike because they know a storm surge will make a 100 million dollar flood. 

(that's a metaphor, so spare me a citation dump on dike infrastructure costs)
Actually your metaphor was stupid and makes my point.
700 years ago or so there was a huge Naval Battle in Holland.
The Battle of Haarlemmermeer was a naval engagement fought on 26 May 1573, during the early stages of the Dutch War of Independence. It was fought on the waters of the Haarlemmermeer a large lake which at the time was a prominent feature of North Holland.

Tell me  what is there today?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 07:30:13 PM by Espnthree »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #5457 on: September 09, 2023, 07:59:10 PM »

What I adopted as policy today:

If your spouse is not quite "with it" in the mind, and you're going shopping with them, travelling on public transport with them, going anywhere with them ..tie them to you ...that way they can't stay on the train when you get off, or get separated from you/lost.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5458 on: September 09, 2023, 08:21:55 PM »

When the smog got bad enough we banned leaded gasoline. Then we raised fuel efficiency standards. And we mandates pollution controls on many industries. As a result the smog problem improved.

Biden and AOC are correct in their views and policies regarding the environment though the disagree on the degree to which action must be taken.

Gallagher is a crook and a lying bastard who hates America though he is stealing as much as he can while he tries to fool enough voters to keep him in Congress.

One day Red might find someone stupid enough to take his fascist wanking as gospel, someone besides himself.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5459 on: September 10, 2023, 01:50:11 AM »

Thanks Deej. I do not know whether or not this will inspire your pen, but I kinda hope it does

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/9/9/2191721/-About-Football-Children-s-Beauty-Pageants-and-SELL

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 594