Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 577

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 121868 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #4395 on: June 20, 2023, 04:54:20 AM »

And you wonder why you do not have nukes.

Sack the crew at Sky news for starters.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: June 20, 2023, 10:47:26 AM »

Sky News just announced that it will take Australia 400 years to mine enough nickel to be able to phase out fossil fuels.
Well then you are fucked. No where near enough dead dinosaurs to make it 400 years. Looks like it is a.Road.Warrior future for you.
Sam: Those sons of bitches, they got him right through the neck.

Suzy: Was he a good dog?

Sam: Who's to say? But he didn't deserve to die.

Oiled

• View Profile
Re: Sky News is incompetent
« Reply #4397 on: June 20, 2023, 12:56:28 PM »

While his company lost, the battery Riley bet on - lithium iron phosphate, called LFP - is increasingly winning.

Demand for nickel and cobalt has surged in recent years and automakers are adopting strategies to hedge against the turbulent market. Tesla has changed its tune and said in April that nearly half of its vehicles sold in the first three months of the year do not include nickel or cobalt.

Batteries like what Riley envisioned are gaining popularity as automakers are increasingly interested in avoiding nickel and cobalt, which are rare as well as difficult and fraught to extract from the earth. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/01/cars/tesla-lfp-battery/index.html
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: June 20, 2023, 01:54:53 PM »

Shelby Steele writing in the Wall Street Journal

In the mid 60s, when the civil rights movement and Martin Luther King were staples on the evening news, we black Americans stepped into a vastly greater freedom than anything we had ever known.
Great God Almighty, we are  free at last portrayed freedom as heaven. But freedom also had to have been scary. Oppression had conditioned us to suppress our humanity, to settle ourselves into a permanent subjugation. Not the best preparation for a full life in freedom.

I believe it was this collision with freedo , its intimidating burden of responsibility, its terror of the unknown, its risk of humiliation that pressured black Americans, especially the young, into a terrible mistake.

In segregation we had longed for a freedom grounded in democratic principles. In the  60s we won that point. But then suddenly, with the ink still wet on the Civil Rights Act, a new voice of protest exploded onto the scene, a voice of race and color and atavistic longing: black power.

To accommodate, we shifted the overriding focus of racial protest in America from rights and laws to identity. Today racial preferences are used everywhere in American life. Identity is celebrated almost as profusely as freedom once was.

It all follows a simple formula
 Add a history of victimization to the identity of any group, and you will have created entitlement. Today
black identity is a victim focused identity designed to entitle blacks in American life. By the terms of this identity, we blacks might be called citizen victims  or citizens with privileges.

The obvious problem with this is that it baits us into a life of chasing down privileges like affirmative action.
In broader America, this only makes us sufferers for want of privileges. Reparation can never be more than a dream of privilege.

Mr. Steele is a senior fellow at Stanford University Hoover Institution and author of
Shame: How America s  Past Sins Have Polarized Our Country.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: June 20, 2023, 03:09:54 PM »

It is all uppity Black people's fault! Excellent!

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: June 20, 2023, 06:01:54 PM »

To accommodate, we shifted the overriding focus of racial protest in America from rights and laws to identity. Today racial preferences are used everywhere in American life. Identity is celebrated almost as profusely as freedom once was.

Most ethnic groups, on attaining some traction in America, make ethnic identity and pride in ones heritage something to celebrate.  Interesting how JimDick doesn't post rants about identity-obsessed Japanese-Americans seeking reparations for WW2 internment camps, or Chavez Ravine outcast Latinos seeking compensation, or native tribal peoples holding pow-wows and asking for compensation for land theft and child kidnapping and grave-robbing. 

Here's a thought.  If people discriminate against your ethnic group for several centuries, you might start to feel part of your identity is pushing back against that discrimination. 

If one result of that discrimination is that 30% of Blacks live below the poverty line, then undoing the effects of that discrimination will inevitably involve coming together to focus selective attention on fixing it.  So maybe that "atavistic longing" for social and political power is  just what's needed to get people out of poverty.   The focus will be racial because white people made the focus of their discrimination racial. 

Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: June 20, 2023, 06:14:13 PM »

Sky News just announced that it will take Australia 400 years to mine enough nickel to be able to phase out fossil fuels.
Well then you are fucked. No where near enough dead dinosaurs to make it 400 years. Looks like it is a.Road.Warrior future for you.

I don't want to get "upgraded, like a 'Cyberman', into the EV clan".
A guy on Youtube explained it all...how if I allow myself to become a 'Cyberman' I'll become totally controlled. How software on subscription will control every aspect of my life.
He advises not to buy an electric car, explained and showed via the electric Porsche he's leasing in Britain why I shouldn't, lest I be "upgraded', totally controlled.
He showed and explained why "EVs will never work", in his opinion.
His convinced me.
Explained that everything is fast becoming "subscription service only."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 06:20:46 PM by bambu. »
Comparison is the thief of joy.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: June 20, 2023, 08:35:13 PM »

In the mid 60s, when the civil rights movement and Martin Luther King were staples on the evening news, we black Americans stepped into a vastly greater freedom than anything we had ever known.
Great God Almighty, we are  free at last portrayed freedom as heaven. But freedom also had to have been scary. Oppression had conditioned us to suppress our humanity, to settle ourselves into a permanent subjugation. Not the best preparation for a full life in freedom.

I believe it was this collision with freedo , its intimidating burden of responsibility, its terror of the unknown, its risk of humiliation that pressured black Americans, especially the young, into a terrible mistake.

In segregation we had longed for a freedom grounded in democratic principles. In the  60s we won that point. But then suddenly, with the ink still wet on the Civil Rights Act, a new voice of protest exploded onto the scene, a voice of race and color and atavistic longing: black power.

It all follows a simple formula
 Add a history of victimization to the identity of any group, and you will have created entitlement. Today
black identity is a victim focused identity designed to entitle blacks in American life. By the terms of this identity, we blacks might be called citizen victims  or citizens with privileges.

The obvious problem with this is that it baits us into a life of chasing down privileges like affirmative action.
In broader America, this only makes us sufferers for want of privileges. Reparation can never be more than a dream of privilege.

Mr. Steele is a senior fellow at Stanford University Hoover Institution and author of
Shame: How America s  Past Sins Have Polarized Our Country.

Speaking of Shelby Steele, Thomas Sowell and a host of Negro Intellectuals

There is  a long history of African American or other minority candidates within the Republican party who will validate America and say, Everything is great, and we can make it,

(That approach does not an include) a plan for how do we address crippling generational poverty that is a consequence of hundreds of years of racism in this society, and we need to do something about that.

If that candidate is not willing to acknowledge that, again and again, we have seen discrimination in everything from getting a job to buying a house to how the criminal justice system operates.

Barack Obama
44th President of the United States of America
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 08:37:45 PM by LarryB! »

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: June 20, 2023, 09:51:14 PM »

Actually Tim Scott proves the opposite.
Scott wants to fight black poverty by giving them more economic opportunity while reducing government dependency and union run rotten schools.
His ideas are sound.
Note how fast it took Obama to attack him while supporting  the suppression of  blacks with the ever present chains of progressive welfare programs.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: June 21, 2023, 07:01:52 AM »

Scott wants to fight black poverty by giving them more economic opportunity while reducing government dependency and union run rotten schools.
His ideas are sound.
Note how fast it took Obama to attack him while supporting  the suppression of  blacks with the ever present chains of progressive welfare programs.

Tim Scott will always quote Dr. King except on topics like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xD8vWQJEok

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: June 21, 2023, 07:15:02 AM »

His ideas are sound.

Tim Scott telling white people it is ok to be racist

https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1671330558419320833?s=61&t=uyjblaEPn7vUS5o6N4PW6g

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: June 21, 2023, 11:38:34 AM »

Most ethnic groups, on attaining some traction in America, make ethnic identity and pride in ones heritage something to celebrate.  Interesting how JimDick doesn't post rants about identity-obsessed Japanese-Americans seeking reparations for WW2 internment camps, or Chavez Ravine outcast Latinos seeking compensation, or native tribal peoples holding pow-wows and asking for compensation for land theft and child kidnapping and grave-robbing. 

Here's a thought.  If people discriminate against your ethnic group for several centuries, you might start to feel part of your identity is pushing back against that discrimination. 

If one result of that discrimination is that 30% of Blacks live below the poverty line, then undoing the effects of that discrimination will inevitably involve coming together to focus selective attention on fixing it.  So maybe that "atavistic longing" for social and political power is  just what's needed to get people out of poverty.   The focus will be racial because white people made the focus of their discrimination racial.

Ward: Against my better judgement I gave your post a full reply, responding to the opinion piece posted.  Either address the points raised or this will be your official demotion (or promotion) to Ignore box.  I think the last paragraph of my reply contains the gist of it.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: June 21, 2023, 12:41:32 PM »

Ward: Against my better judgement I gave your post a full reply, responding to the opinion piece posted.  Either address the points raised or this will be your official demotion (or promotion) to Ignore box.  I think the last paragraph of my reply contains the gist of it.
Hope you are not holding your breath on that. He never engages because that would force him to think beyond what he regurgitates from his right wing news sources.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: June 21, 2023, 01:30:25 PM »

If one result of that discrimination is that 30% of Blacks live below the poverty line, then undoing the effects of that discrimination will inevitably involve coming together to focus selective attention on fixing it. 
Except, of course, that is not true. Discrimination is not a factor.
In fact the poverty line is undefinable since it ignores the effect of transfer payments from the Federal and other Governments.
The progressive approach to EXPAND those payments is the actual discrimination and it suffered another defeat in Court just this month.
https://ground.news/article/court-preliminarily-enjoins-minority-business-development-agency-race-and-ethnicity-based-funding
As the decision noted

The MBDA willnot help business owners who trace their ancestry to the Middle East, North Africa or North Asia. Moreover all minority business owners who own  less than 51% of their business are excluded from getting MBDA help. So when President Biden announced that his equity agenda would build community wealth for  underserved communities, he meant only preferred racial groups like  Blacks, Hispanics, Native Americans and some Southeast Asians.
In short the Biden Administration deliberately discriminated giving favor to blacks over other Americans.

I will not miss you.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: June 21, 2023, 01:40:32 PM »

Hope you are not holding your breath on that. He never engages because that would force him to think beyond what he regurgitates from his right wing news sources   

Yep.  Am only holding my breath at the suspense of the attempts at rescue of the Titanic site submersible.

Early reports had me thinking it reached crush depths on Sunday and they all died instantly.  Then today the banging noises were picked up, and the realization they have less than a day of oxygen left....best hope is the ballast release worked when power failed and they're bobbing on the surface somewhere, carried a ways from the site by currents.

Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 577