Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1647334 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #9750 on: February 12, 2019, 05:56:56 AM »

In the US, the legal/illegal debate glosses over the fact that the US agriculture and hospitality industries have relied on illegal immigrants for cheap labor for decades.  Apparently this includes Trump's golf courses and probably hotels.
Plenty of businesses have relied on immigrants entering legally or mostly illegally and working for low wages picking crops, cleaning rooms, etc. 

So there has been a wink-wink system in place, a grey area, where everyone knows what is going on and ignores it.  That's something that should be fixed so:
1) Mexican workers can legally enter on temp visas during the harvest season (nearly half the year if they follow the crop route north).  These workers should be given a decent wage and have rights, something that there illegal status currently denies them.
2) Companies should only be able to hire legal visa holders so that they pay taxes and treat the workers fairly.

First figure out a system for the illegal workers that are wanted and needed and then worry about other immigrants. 

Btw, the immigration system is horribly messed up.  I don't know the current horrors, but late 80's NYC took a host of condemned or otherwise forfeited old hotels the city unintentionally owned and used them to house detained immigrants.  Problem was these hotels were right in the heart of the city with multiple exits and windows, and it wouldn't have been hard for any enterprising detainee to slip out.  So they started chaining folks to radiators and such to keep them locked up.  Finally this was ruled by courts as unsafe in case of fire (and possibly inhumane).

When I acted as a lawyer for a non-profit, besides my scheduled meeting with a detainee, I was told to ask about 2 Somalis who had disappeared in the system.  They were allegedly no longer at the JFK holding facility, but it was unclear where they were.  They had persuaded an INS judge to order the guards to bring the 2 to the Manhattan immigration, but when they failed to be brought, the judge had no power to compel the guards to do so.  I was supposed to ask the authorities mildly where these 2 guys were, and when they would be brought in.  Also, I was supposed to ask any other Somalis I ran across in the facility who were being held at one of 3 detention centers if they knew of these guys whereabouts. 

Detainees aren't officially in the US as they've never passed through immigration and legally entered.  So their rights are very limited.  They don't even have the right to a lawyer or due process, except as provided by treaty.  The only reason we were allowed in was because one ex-lawyer for the organization became an immigration judge and arranged for it.  But we had to tippy-toe around as they could cut off our access arbitrarily at any time.  Hell, they could just disappear our clients.

The Somalis in the early 90's were actually lucky.  They had a network and some influential Somalis were allowed in to the immigration facility to interview detainees and often arranged families for them to stay with while they were waiting for their cases to be adjudicated.  I forget exactly, but the average case to something like 2 years to process.  It was all very Mickey Mouse.

And that's not even to get into the political aspects.  Back then refugees from Nicaragua had a shot at asylum because they were fleeing a commie gov't we didn't like.  But anyone form El Salvador had close to a 0% chance because they were merely fleeing right wing death squads organized by a gov't we supported.

All of which is to say the fact that they separate small children from parents and don't keep track of where anyone went doesn't surprise me in the least.  Maybe they'll find those 2 Somalis they lost track of back in 1991 ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9751 on: February 12, 2019, 08:16:28 AM »

Gabby Gifford's husband, former astronaut Mark Kelly, is running for Senate against McSally. Former state AG, long time McCain ally and recent Democrat Grant Woods will not run, which I normally would not about, but for all the American Gothic memes and jokes.we.are being deprived of.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9752 on: February 12, 2019, 08:17:12 AM »

Glad to be back from my lifetime ban.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

barton

« Reply #9753 on: February 12, 2019, 09:35:57 AM »

Bo,

it's unsettling to read a posting on the Net in which an opinion is supported by direct professional life experience.  I hope this catches on, but would find myself able to post only when the moon is blue and pigs sprout wings. 

My concern for agri workers is that, if we enforce legal hiring and fair wages for temp workers, the agri industry will commence a massive investment in field robots which would work around the clock, never complain, and require only a charging dock for lodgings. 

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #9754 on: February 12, 2019, 10:26:30 AM »

AMERICA FIRST!!!!

Lol.

Republicans get less money for the border than they did in the bipartisan Senate deal Trump shot down. Fewer beds too.

Meanwhile, Trump the Great Negotiator looks like a baffled old man saying (lying) “well I built a lot of wall already” and then lying about his crowd size vs. Beto’s.

Of course, the idiot could still shoot down the deal, and his handlers on FOX seem to be doing the best they can to make that happen.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9755 on: February 12, 2019, 10:48:54 AM »

Cool. Released from lifetime ban!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #9756 on: February 12, 2019, 11:05:39 AM »

The latest Gallup Poll

69% expect their financial situation to improve over the next year
Optimism about finances over the next year is almost at a record-high level
50% say they are in better shape financially than a year ago

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #9757 on: February 12, 2019, 11:19:42 AM »

The latest Gallup Poll

Squirrel!
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #9758 on: February 12, 2019, 12:00:17 PM »

Like I said it was some time ago, but I doubt the immigration service has gotten any better.

One time I went to meet a detainee and there was an Iranian guy who was real nervous and agitated, so after a while they asked me to talk to him, since I was waiting for my client to be brought in.  Turns out no one told him why he was brought to the admin facility from the detention center.  He thought they were going to deny him asylum and send him back to Iran where he expected to be killed.  He said he had been chained to a radiator in one of the infamous detention hotels in NYC a few years earlier, and when he complained he was beaten by guards.  He even told me that his case had been reported on in the NY Post, with the specific date of the article, which later I read. 

Turns out he was getting appointed a new pro bono attorney, but the guards either didn't know or more likely neglected to tell him that (seeing how he was a "troublemaker").  So he had no idea why he was brought to administrative facility and thought his asylum claim was going to be rejected and he would be deported soon.  The guy was so nervous I would have thought he was on drugs if he hadn't been in federal custody for years.  I met his new lawyer, who arrived a half hour late, and who seemed like a complete bozo, new in the corporate legal world.  He wasn't interested in hearing what I learned about his new client, so likely the poor Iranian with mediocre English was going to have to go through all of that again in his heightened state. 

Best I could do was tell my superiors to try to keep an eye on that lawyer-idiot and case, if they could.  If I hadn't spent 20 minutes with the poor Iranian, he might have been sent back to the detention facility, with his lawyer deemed a no-show, probably without knowing why he was summoned and brought in. 

It gave me something constructive to do while I waited for my client who was brought in more than half an hour late.  It was interesting but rather spooky dealing with the Iranian.  This was a matter of life or death for him, yet everything was arbitrary and poorly run.  And his lengthy experience in US custody was pretty disgraceful.  Yet he was in better shape than many, since he spoke passable English, came from a US enemy country, and actually got a lawyer appointed (even if a rather questionable one).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 01:58:29 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #9759 on: February 12, 2019, 12:14:37 PM »

The latest Gallup Poll

Squirrel!
LOL
It is you that needs to find the squirrel.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:40:25 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #9760 on: February 12, 2019, 12:21:42 PM »

I'm good for a couple bucks if somebody here wants to take up a collection enroll our resident "educator" in a formatting class. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9761 on: February 12, 2019, 12:28:12 PM »

When the forums embargo was up, I started to ask myself why I’ve been spending so much time here over the years. Now that the embargo is over I see immediately that the forum conversation is actually quite good.

Trump and the GOP are making clear how critical it is to actually fix our immigration system. Keep sharing what you can of your experience Bo.

Now there’s a deal on the table, we’ll get to see what kind of dumb Individual 1 is wearing today.

Blow up the deal dumb?

Take deal and raid disaster relief funds?

Declare a state of emergency dumb?

Or fried chicken and nappies?

Red has his moments. His post is a good baseline to compare to see how much the numbers in May have declined when everyone has processed this tax season and the devastation wrought on the people of this country by the GOP tax scam and the shitty scammers who infest the failing party’s leadership and administration.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #9762 on: February 12, 2019, 12:42:23 PM »

I'm good for a couple bucks if somebody here wants to take up a collection enroll our resident "educator" in a formatting class.

YankGuy Finds Squirrel!!!!
LOL

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9763 on: February 12, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »

That would explain the trouble formatting. The right wing world view, while false and evil, is a simplistic and tiny enough turd to fit in a squirrel’s brain with room left for nuts.

I like Red better when I picture him as a squirrel.

Thanks.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

oilcan

« Reply #9764 on: February 12, 2019, 01:41:56 PM »

The latest Gallup Poll

A little amusing when a poll says fifty percent say they are in better financial shape now.  What do the other fifty percent say?

Also amusing:  when something as vague as "optimism" is apparently so precisely quantified that we can speak of "record-high level" of it.  While we're here, what are the numbers on giddiness, qualms, and ennui?  I'm sure economists also chart those to arrive a longterm economic predictions and craft policies.

Twain's quote about statistics never fails its freshness test. 
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 4288