Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 577

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 121954 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #7875 on: March 14, 2024, 01:52:46 AM »

Today on YouTube I learnt:

How to open a pineapple without a knife, just bare hands.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #7876 on: March 14, 2024, 04:25:27 AM »

SkyNews::

"China cancels Australian wheat exports."

#####

Time Australia cancelled all Chinese imports.
Sent the Chinese ambassador home and turned the embassy into a public carpark, or rose garden.

Make more bread with the wheat and eat it ourselves.
Drink the wine ourselves, eat the beef ourselves.
Anything imported from China Australia could buy from other countries.
...including cars, solar panels.
Burn the coal ourselves and have cheap electricity.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7877 on: March 14, 2024, 08:36:42 AM »

Good move by China. Why buy it when they can just invade and take it?
Sam: Those sons of bitches, they got him right through the neck.

Suzy: Was he a good dog?

Sam: Who's to say? But he didn't deserve to die.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #7878 on: March 14, 2024, 12:11:33 PM »

Gift link, no paywall

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2024/03/teen-childhood-smartphone-use-mental-health-effects/677722/?gift=43H6YzEv1tnFbOn4MRsWYl326JEXqHGXci6ZF1gf8tE&utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

Pass this along, if you know parents or teachers who are looking for solutions to the problem in their homes and communities.  Sections 8 and 9 deal with some concrete proposals.

We don't want to lose that generation. 
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #7879 on: March 14, 2024, 02:03:46 PM »

Good move by China. Why buy it when they can just invade and take it?

Yes.
And Australia would be stoopid to be treated as a sucker in the meantime.
Best to reject everything China.
Disconnect the phone.
Take back the port of Darwin.
Crank up the deportation "bus".
Turn back ships with imports from China.
Stop all foreign aid, and live as a commune.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #7880 on: March 14, 2024, 02:11:53 PM »

What I learnt from YouTube today.

US President James A Garfield was ambidextrous.

He could write in Greek with one hand while simultaneously writing in Latin with the other.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #7881 on: March 14, 2024, 03:04:40 PM »

What I learnt from YouTube today.

US President James A Garfield was ambidextrous.

He could write in Greek with one hand while simultaneously writing in Latin with the other.
That is the most useful thing you  have learned from YouTube by all appearances. Or at least the least harmful. Or both.

I learned that from Gore Vidal's 1876.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #7882 on: March 14, 2024, 03:43:14 PM »

Gift link, no paywall

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2024/03/teen-childhood-smartphone-use-mental-health-effects/677722/?gift=43H6YzEv1tnFbOn4MRsWYl326JEXqHGXci6ZF1gf8tE&utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

Pass this along, if you know parents or teachers who are looking for solutions to the problem in their homes and communities.  Sections 8 and 9 deal with some concrete proposals.

We don't want to lose that generation.
No wonder the article is free.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #7883 on: March 14, 2024, 08:10:38 PM »

What do you mean by that?

As a subscriber I can share five articles per month with a free link.  It is a way to send it to some educators I know, or anyone who follows the topic of cellphone/social media use and it's psychological effects on teens and youth.  Is that a problem for you?

Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #7884 on: March 14, 2024, 09:22:31 PM »

As a subscriber I can share five articles per month with a free link.  It is a way to send it to some educators I know, or anyone who follows the topic of cellphone/social media use and it's psychological effects on teens and youth.  Is that a problem for you?

Cellphone use?
Not in the slightest. And it is doing wonders for my grandkids and their classmates.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #7885 on: March 15, 2024, 08:55:50 AM »

... cellphone/social media use and it's psychological effects on teens and youth.  Is that a problem for you?
Yes, it's. And always will be.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #7886 on: March 15, 2024, 08:58:40 AM »

Cellphone use?
Not in the slightest. And it is doing wonders for my grandkids and their classmates.
Maybe he has a point. After all, he grew up without a cellphone and became an ignorant troll and a pathological liar. How much worse could it be?

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #7887 on: March 15, 2024, 10:26:19 AM »

... cellphone/social media use and it's psychological effects on teens and youth.  Is that a problem for you?
Yes, it's. And always will be.

Autocorrect is stupid. 

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7888 on: March 15, 2024, 01:34:26 PM »

Cellphone use?
Maybe he has a point. After all, he grew up without a cellphone and became an ignorant troll and a pathological liar. How much worse could it be?

Cell phones may also help them reject the horrible poisons their grandfather tries to pour in their ears.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #7889 on: March 15, 2024, 04:43:49 PM »

Bambu, China is on our team now, we need to be allies with China, certainly they will buy more imports from Australia.

And keep doing trade with California and with the USA, and with Mexico, and with Colombia, etc.

My Italian professor from Fullerton community college just retired, he was surprised at how fast his home here in Rancho Santa Margarita sold, and now he is going to visit his son for some quality time before he takes a vacation to Hawaii, and then he is going to go buy a modest home in Italy and live out the rest of his days in Italy. He is all on his own, just him and his son, his son is in Medical School now, and he is going to go start a new life in Italy on his own. I learned a lot from him, and I wish him a good life in Italy.

I am grateful for my home in California, and I would love to make movies and television shows at Universal Studios, and find a wife here who wants to produce movies and television shows with me, but I would love to go open a night club on Via Urbana in Rome someday, and a vineyard and winery in Tuscany would be a dream come true if I was wealthy.

Of note Bambu, the inflation on food in Lebanon is very high, Australia can send wheat to Lebanon and I am sure that the Lebanese will be grateful. Lebanon needs wheat, and fish, and fruits and vegetables, etc.  It is all about supply and demand, look for the people who will be grateful to have wheat from Australia. And I am sure China will buy your wheat, I think that there was a miscommunication. Also, UNICEF will buy wheat from Australia to feed to the refugees, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 577