Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 361764 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #4920 on: February 09, 2024, 01:52:07 PM »

I see long time Ohio State OC Bill O'Brian has left to be the head coach at Boston College.
A parrot bit me.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: February 10, 2024, 12:45:19 PM »

I see long time Ohio State OC Bill O'Brian has left to be the head coach at Boston College.
Yes,his home town.  He also has a young son with severe health problems that returning there appealing.
The job opened up just after he accepted tOSU offer.
Chip Kelley was hired yesterday by Ryan Day to be the OC and play caller for the Buckeyes.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: February 17, 2024, 10:51:50 PM »

Got a son who didn't make the NFL cut?
College NFL football career over, football career over?

Got a daughter interested in playing football, NRL rugby league football?

NRL is coming to town, in Vegas, early March 2024, holding a talent combine in the week before the double header NRL rugby league matches at Allegiant Stadium on March2.

nrl.com/vegas

click on

'Vegas Combine;

Introducing the Vegas Talent Combine
This coming March the NRL will launch the first official NRL Talent Combine in Las Vegas, Nevada for 25 female and 25 male athletes.

An event where you will be able to showcase your skills in front of NRL officials for an opportunity of a life-time in Australia.

You could be one of four athletes selected to travel to Australia to train with elite teams to try and earn a professional contract in the NRL or NRLW.

NRLW - Womens comp.

The NRL premiership matches [not exhibition games, these are round 1 of the season in Australia]...nrl.com

The big night, March 2...televised on Fox Sports 1

« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 11:04:53 PM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: April 17, 2024, 09:31:38 AM »

Nick Saban is retiring.
What a record he had that will never be topped. 

It is all due the training he got at Toledo, Ohio State, and Michigan State.

Happy retirement Nick!

As always you say stuff that proves you're dumber than a box of rocks.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: July 12, 2024, 12:42:22 PM »

So Michigan State has announced the newest inductions into its Athletic Hall of Fame, headlined by Darqueze Dennard of No Fly Zone fame. The announcement press release added this:

"This year's induction is particularly historic as it marks the inclusion of entire teams - the 1965 and 1966 national championship football teams - into the Hall of Fame for the first time."

That's the spirit!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 12:44:35 PM by Hairy Lime »
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: August 26, 2024, 12:08:59 PM »

I had planned to write blurbs about each of my Top 11, but... well, but I did 't. As will be obvious, I made my rankings last week.

First Two Out

Texas
In several of my alternate multiverse timelines, I have Texas in my Functionally Top 10. I toyed with both them and LSU, and Texas does have a significant advantage, specifically a high caliber returning Quarterback. But they lost a lot, including some top flight wide receivers, and two of their top running backs, the former to Sundays, the latter to injury. All strong programs lose players every year, of course, but Texas is also stepping up in level of competition. So, I push them down to sort of 10a, with LSU.

Meatchicken
Yes I hate them, root against them and every time they succeed I die a little. But that does not preclude objectivity. Objectively, they lost:

All of their O Line
Their QB
Their top running back
Their top 2 wide receivers

And yes, the continue to have an exceptional defense, and while their old DC is no longer in that position, they brought in the man who, essentially, designed their defense on the pro level. But UM plays Texas early, and looks to me to be Lee Van Cleef in a The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly three way death match between them, the and Oregon. It is a tough schedule, for a change. If the O line gels early, they can repeat. But replacing the entire line, when you have depended on the ability to push people around, gives me too much pause to rank them.

Top 11:

11.                the Louisiana State 
10.             Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie
9.           the Pennsylvania State
8.           Old Mississippi
7.            University Utah
6.            the Florida State *
5.           Oregon
4.           Alabama
3.            the Ohio State
2.           Georgia
1.            EVENTUAL 2024 - 2025 NATIONAL CHAMPION MICHIGAN STATE

National Championship Game:
 Michigan State over Georgia over Oregon

Heisman Trophy:
 Aidan Chiles
Runner Up: Carson Beck

Bronco Bednarik Award:
 Travis Hunter

One Team From Each Conference Who Could Upset the Apple Cart:

God s Conference: Tennessee
Big I Have Given Up Counting: University of California **
Pure Prairie League: Arizona
South Atlantic League: U
PAWCP: Hahahahahaha

* Ooops.
** Southern
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 12:11:31 PM by Hairy Lime »
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: August 26, 2024, 05:48:28 PM »

So... any thoughts on the possibility of Oregon and Ohio State playing three times this season?
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: August 27, 2024, 12:39:09 PM »

Eventual National Champion Michigan State University 35, Florida Atlantic 17
We have not had that much luck with John Smith coaches, but he will have the kids playing their butts off. Hopefully, the coaches will not screw things up. Anyway, I have hopes for a quick rebuild after last year. It starts with Eventual 2024 Heisman Trophy Winner Aidan Chiles at QB. Everything I have read indicates that he has been impressive. I worry about both of our lines, though, particularly the middle of our defense. FAU was, like MSU, 4 and 8, and both their offense and defense were in the 90s or below last year.

Georgia 28, ClemSIN 10
Has ClemSIN declined? After a decade as one of the two or three CFB powerhouses, they almost seem an  afterthought now. What they have lacked since their glory years has been a superstar QB like Watson and Lawrence. Following up the worlds worst Scrabble draw with Fran Kubelik (may not be actual name) has not been the answer. Maybe he turns the corner this year, maybe he just is what he is. I just know the Georgia defense is not who I would want to find about him against. And, Dabo SWINEy, it is 2024. USE THE TRANSFER PORTAL.

the Louisiana State 27, University of Southern California 24
Both teams lost superstar Heisman winning Quarterbacks, but what I am really interested in is whether LSU can fix their historically for them bad run defense from last year, and whether USC will play defense, as opposed to whatever the hell they have been doing the last two years.

Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie 27, TAMU 20
TAMU has a lot of talent. They have to, right? That was what Elliot did to earn his money, right? It sure was not his game coaching. Anyway I like OLotPT this year, in a I FUCKING HATE OLotPT but expect them to do quite well sort of way. Strong D, good running backs, interesting portal QB.

the Florida State 21, Boston College 20
Does the worlds worst Scrabble Draw, who was pretty good as a Beaver, only suck in the South Atlantic League? Because he was awful in Ireland. He had better right himself quick or a lot of people (me) are going to look really stupid in December.

the Pennsylvania State 24, Morgantown Tech 13
Allar is another QB I keep waiting to see turn the corner. He may already have, and around the corner was just another dead end street. I still have hopes. The defense should carry them a long ways. I think WVU is a sneaky contender in the Pure Prairie League, however, and I like their O line.

The U 31, Florida 27
They are finally back! They have turned the corner and are ready to dominate the football world again! You can choose which of the two teams those sentences apply to. Florida is coming off three straight losing seasons, and Miami has won double digits once in the 20 years since it joined the South Atlantic League. This is a ghost of a great game, not a great game. Note stupid cliche alert: I have used the turn the corner cliche three times already and it is only week one.

Washington State 35, Portland State 14
Wazzou will finish no worse than second in the PAWCP. Book it. Though they might also finish last. I decided to include this game just to make that joke. Hope you liked it.

Meatchicken 35, Fresno State 7
Gateway to Yosemite State is a sneaky tough game for Meatchicken to open with, coming off two straight 10 win seasons. But defensively they are only so so, and offensively, well, I trust the Meatchicken defense. It will be interesting to see the pretty much entirely new offense in action, and FSU is better than anyone Meatchicken has played out of conference since Fielding Yost. All right, that is an exaggeration. It is really only the last two years.

the 42, Akron 3
Yes, a cupcake game, and if it is even this close I will be surprised. But it will be interesting to see how Chip Kelly and Will Howard run the the offense. I also want to see if the next level QBs get some time, and I am not just Sayin that.

Maryland 24, Yukon 13
Yukon made the Fiesta Bowl after the 2010 season. Since then, their best season has been 2020, when it was cancelled. OK, that is a little unfair, since they did make two bowls as a 6 and 6 team. Maryland lost Baby Tags, and snagged an unproven not good enough to be a starter where he was from the transfer portal to replace him. The real test for Maryland comes next weekend, when they play the national consensus number 1 team.

University in Texas for People Who Define Christian as Disciples of Christ 42, Stanford 20
Was TCU as bad as they seemed last year, or was it just a post Georgia hangover? Asking for a friend in Tallahassee. Or do they just take odd numbered years off (5 and 7 in 2023, 2021, 2019)? Defense is an issue for TCU, but offense should not be. Stanford has been 3 and 9 three straight seasons, and moving Palo Alto from California to the Atlantic Coast has to have taken a lot out of them.

Minnesota 24, UNC 17
Well, I guess this is a major conference OOC matchup, so. Minnesota restocked in the transfer portal, so I expect them to be better than the frankly weird and inconsistent team they were last year, weird being a term Minnesotan football coaches apparently like to toss around. UNC was an 8 win team with a first round draft choice at QB. They also hit the portal, for a QB who has had more homes than your average army brat, so we will see if he can deliver.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2024, 12:41:58 PM by Hairy Lime »
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: September 01, 2024, 11:51:18 AM »

Eventual 2024 - 2025 National Champion Michigan State: Winzawin as they say, but we got work to do. But it is not just us. Oregon looked bad against a FCS middle of the pack team. And the looked sketchy on offense too. Well, for a half.

Irrational Hatred Department:I figured Meatchicken's offense would struggle, but lord they have 6 days to get on the stick. That was awful. That defense can only take you so far.

Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie looks like a lock to get to 11 wins right now. Yeah, they look to have challenges on offense, but their schedule sets up really well for them.

Remember When We Were Great?: OK, Georgia can make any offense look bad, but ClemSIN is making it look more and more like their dominance was based on getting great QBs, not a great program or coaching. Actually, the entire South Atlantic League is playing itself out of a playoff wild card spot. I had.read VT was a threat, and while losing to a God's Conference team is expected, Vandy?

Florida.is road kill. They still have six or seven ranked teams left, and while The U may be legit - it looks like they can wk into the ACC tournament slot right now - they are far from the best team Florida plays.

TAMU. Either OLotPT has a great defense or TAMU is going to get flattend. A lot.

Incoming!: Granted, the level of competition, Dylan Raiola, Jeremiah Smith and Ryan Williams looked damned good.

Iamaleavaing You With This: Tennessee. Watch for them.

A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: September 03, 2024, 11:09:06 AM »

6.            the Florida State

Pretty much the odds on favorite for the title of "Most Wrong".
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: September 07, 2024, 07:36:30 PM »

Victory for MSU@
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: September 07, 2024, 10:12:19 PM »

It's like Christmas in September!

Any week Meatchicken and Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie lose and MSU wins is a weekend to savor.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2024, 02:39:10 PM by Hairy Lime »
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: September 08, 2024, 11:29:36 AM »

For what it is worth, Aidan Chiles is still just 18 years old, younger than Dylan Raiola, despite it being his second year (his birthday is this week). He needs to cut down on bad decisions, but lord he has the arm talent.

I do not know if Meatchicken does not trust the QB, or their receivers, or the protection, but for 90% of the game, they seemed unwilling to throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield. It will ba a long year if teams can put all 11 within 10 yards of the line.

I am riding the Iamaleava train, and Tennessee in general. The Wolfpack was a grease spot yesterday, and they are a pretty decent team.

A case of diarrhea that I can only adequately describe to someone who has gone through colonoscopy prep kept me from posting my picks but I sure did not have Northern Illinois over Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie.  This:
Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie looks like a lock to get to 11 wins right now. Yeah, they look to have challenges on offense, but their schedule sets up really well for them.
is a pretty good contender for "most wrong". Now their weak schedule is a hindrance rather than an asset.

Say, McCord is a pretty good QB even when he does not have a receiver room most pro teams would envy. He got run out of Columbus, and his lack of mobility is noticeable, but if they stuck with him, I think he would have been better than Howard, who was the only the QB yesterday who threw a ball that touched the ground.

Oh, and I know the none of you stayed up late enough to watch it, but in addition to the epic name Cam Skattebo is a beast. Also, I see why Smith preferred Chiles to Leavitt.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2024, 11:34:21 AM by Hairy Lime »
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: September 09, 2024, 11:23:49 AM »

I see Cam Rising got hurt Saturday, which surprised me because I did not realize it was already bowl season.

Let history record that the first school to sit alone atop the standings for the newest iteration of the Big I Have Given Up Counting is MSU, which is a half game up on everyone except Maryland.
A parrot bit me.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: September 09, 2024, 12:43:22 PM »

Nice win by Michigan Agricultural College against a Terps team that I finally had some hopes for.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330