Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 2733

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 503830 times)

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #2535 on: February 26, 2021, 04:30:46 PM »

To those yet unvacced-my only side effect was a little soreness for about 2 days at the injection site. (shoulder)

And co-habitating with dust bunnies under the bed.

And a high degree of anticipation for the next MicroSoft Office update!
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: February 26, 2021, 04:36:56 PM »

World Bank

2 hours

In #Yemen, the partnership between World Bank, World Health Organization (WHO) and UNICEF was key to supporting service delivery, strengthening critical care, and  promoting community engagement –all of them essential to tackle #COVID19 in #conflict settings. http://wrld.bg/hQhJ50DC43C  #UNxWorldBank

---------------

Always look for the helpers.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: February 26, 2021, 04:44:53 PM »

Glad to say I was masked, prepped, and hunkered down by the time those exchanges took place.

Told my fried in educational IT to prep for online only learning two weeks before his boss handed zoom for the entire district to him. It’s been his joy ride ever since.

Got my Moderna #2 a couple of hours ago.

I've been masked since late Feb or early March and mostly hiding under my bed.

To those yet unvacced-my only side effect was a little soreness for about 2 days at the injection site. (shoulder)

And co-habitating with dust bunnies under the bed.

My 2 scents, If its available to you now get it done.

Great. Glad that bankshot's shots are working out.

Was it difficult getting the appointment for shot #1?

About 5 weeks ago I received a blast e-mail from my HC provider asking that patients not call or e-mail the HC provider re vaccine shots as they had no info and employee time was being diverted. Then literally 2 days later my primary dr office called me asking if I wanted the vac and I said "yes" and the 2 appts were schedules at the same time.

And it went off as planned.

I was talking to a friend in NY state last night and she was spending a lot of time unsuccessfully trying to get her 89 YO father his vacc.  So state by state experiences vary.

I've been trying for several weeks here in NJ, but finally got the appointment for tomorrow morning for shot uno. Moderna. We'll see how it goes.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: February 26, 2021, 05:16:37 PM »

More bad news for Asians in America (and the rest of us, too!): https://news.yahoo.com/asian-man-critical-condition-being-154902583.html
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: February 26, 2021, 05:21:43 PM »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: February 26, 2021, 05:41:18 PM »

On the issue of wages, I like the Federal list of Prevailing Wages...

https://www.cityoforange.org/DocumentCenter/View/12009/20-2117---RFB---SP-4148-CDBG-ADA-Ramps---Addendum-2?bidId=

Different jobs pay different wages, and just putting everyone at a $15 minimum wage does not fix things. While a low minimum wage might be fine for a newspaper boy delivering newspapers, it is not okay for a dry-waller on a construction site, or other adult job that requires skill. So you need to have a list like the prevailing wage list.

And I feel that being a good cook is a skill and cooks should be paid more than minimum wage, and for sure the cook should not be paid the same as the person washing the dishes. Waitresses get tips, so they make a lot of money, but the cooks do not get tips, and it sucks for the waitresses to be making more money than the cooks. The wages need to be raised for cooks.

And of course, we have unions which help people to receive fair pay. The unions set pay scales.

Of note too, I think that school teachers, and others who have to receive an education and training in order to work, should be paid much more than prison guards and border patrol agents, etc. Teachers need to be paid more than prison guards.

Different jobs deserve different pay amounts, and setting the minimum wage at $15 per hour does not mean that a plumber and a dish washer should be paid the same. The wages are going to have to go up across the board for everyone. And an adult with a full time job needs to be able to afford food and shelter, in the least. An educated adult with a full time job needs to be able to buy a house and raise a family.

These days of adult workers living in their cars need to end, if you are honest and if you work hard then you should not be living in your car.

Prevailing wage lists make sense, as does having unions to set wage scales. 

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 05:45:19 PM by FlyingVProd »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: February 26, 2021, 05:43:02 PM »

Hogan is no hero: At a news conference touting his administration’s new mass COVID-19 vaccination site in Baltimore, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said his state’s largest city had been getting more doses of immunizations than it was “entitled to,” highlighting familiar tension between the state and the city that drew fresh ire from some leaders.

Hogan was asked Thursday by a reporter whether a portion of the shares Maryland was sending to the mass vaccination clinic at M&T Bank Stadium, which is open to any eligible person in the state, would be set aside for Baltimore residents — as Maryland officials opted to do with the mass vaccination site at Six Flags in Prince George’s County.

The governor said the Maryland Department of Health’s Vaccine Equity Task Force likely would look into it, though “as of last week, Baltimore City had gotten far more than they really were entitled to.”

https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronavirus/bs-md-hogan-remarks-20210226-wdph6hrsarh23jscsgjo2csfi4-story.html

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: February 26, 2021, 06:02:00 PM »

The LGBT Bar of New York was all set to announce 6 winners of “ Community Vision Awards”
But only five names were attached to 6 resumes of achievement.
The unnamed winner?
Andrew Cuomo.

barton

« Reply #2544 on: February 26, 2021, 06:16:13 PM »

Your lack of concern for Lady Gaga's dog walker is sadly evident.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: February 26, 2021, 07:02:44 PM »

Cool. Gonna keep an eye on which republican scumbags get the most freaked out this weekend. It will help fill out the pool of tour guides.

Given that there were no official tours, since July?! Yeah.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: February 26, 2021, 07:03:18 PM »

Before being elected to Congress, Marie Newman was an anti-bullying expert and she saw Marjorie Taylor Greene’s efforts to delay a vote on the Equality Act, legislation to formally prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, as bullying — so she acted. Occupying the Capitol Hill office across the hallway from Greene, Newman, the mother of a transgender daughter, put a transgender pride flag outside her office.

Newman told New York her thinking in how to respond to Greene was simple. “I’m going to put this flag here so you can see it every day and see about your actions and your hate and your disrespect. So that’s all that was meant to do. It was just making a statement.” She added, “You only let a bully go so long, and then you have to be clear and direct and firm — and I was.”

Greene, the inflammatory Georgia Republican with a history of dabbling in conspiracy theories, responded with a sign outside her office insisting “There are TWO genders: Male & Female. Trust The Science!” and attacking the Illinois Democrat on Twitter, where she intentionally misgendered Newman’s daughter.

To Newman, the response was amusing. “It’s classic, it’s textbook anti-social behavior. She dug in. She knows she’s wrong, she dug in and is justifying her hate with red herrings.” She added, “The printed piece she put up on the wall is absolutely hysterical to me, people who bring up red herrings in any arguments are never successful long term, so good luck with that.

Newman seemed both bemused and somewhat befuddled by how intensely her Republican colleague was picking a fight on social media. “The fact that she spends time on going to get a sign printed and putting it up and continuing to troll me the rest of the day … keep going if you want to spend your time doing that. You do you, and I’ll do me,” she said.

Heh

A RED herring.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/marie-newman-bully-marjorie-taylor-greene.html

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: February 26, 2021, 07:05:17 PM »

Flop sweat..

https://www.mediamatters.org/judicial-crisis-network/right-wing-dark-money-group-dangles-catnip-fox-news-about-biden-nominee

That RW smear thing reminds of an excellent analysis of lying and cynicism that ran in Atlantic....

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2021/02/tucker-carlson-cancel-culture-cynicism-winning/618138/

People didn't pay to see the Fiji Mermaid,  they paid to watch Barnum make a clever attempt to fool them into accepting something ridiculous.   
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: February 26, 2021, 07:06:04 PM »

Wearing a mask will provide a fair degree of protection, and in conjunction with other measures will prevent infections and save lives.

I'm glad you know more than the scientists, Bo.

Do as you will.

Yup - admitted I was wrong to listen to Fauci then.

Admit it again, now.

Bo, you were just flat right.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 2733