Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 1849

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 931044 times)

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #13080 on: August 27, 2020, 11:03:09 AM »

Team and NBA support is much more likely and dedicated while the players are working and making money for the owners/league.

lol, keep hopping on the plantation you good little junglebunnies..

The players are the league.

They have the power. They know it. They'll decide what to do with it. The league will follow along.
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #13081 on: August 27, 2020, 12:15:34 PM »

No they aren't.
If they were, why wouldn't they just cut out the NBA and the owners -- old white billionaires mostly-- and stage their own games and make all the money instead of just half?

When the games are being played, the NBA and its players have the highest profile and most media attention.  That seems obvious and factual to me.  I'd use that megaphone while its turned on.

Also, in case you haven't noticed there are white players in the NBA.  Roughly 20%.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 12:19:47 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

lesterluv

• View Profile
« Reply #13082 on: August 27, 2020, 12:43:27 PM »

No they aren't.
If they were, why wouldn't they just cut out the NBA and the owners -- old white billionaires mostly-- and stage their own games and make all the money instead of just half?

Oh, they are, as much as you'd like to think they're just slaves who are best served hopping to the tune for their meals. And they've certainly thought about that and will continue to, and when they think it's in their best interest they will.

Also, in case you haven't noticed there are white players in the NBA.  Roughly 20%.

Oh, I've noticed, and in case you haven't noticed, many of them, like many white people outside the league, care just as much about these issues as black people.

***this isn't 1961
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/27/bill-russell-nba-boycott/

Russell led the infuriated pair and K.C. Jones, another Black player and future Hall of Famer, to the room occupied by legendary Celtics Coach Red Auerbach. Upon hearing that they intended to take the next flight back to Boston, Auerbach asked that the players reconsider, asserting that the seats were already sold and the game would be played.

Russell, who by then had helped Boston to four of its 11 championships with him, would not be swayed. Instead, he made it clear that it was better for him and his Black teammates to walk away, and leave Lexington with a nonintegrated game.

“I told Red we were leaving,” Russell recalled in 2013. “I said it was because it was important to me that everybody, everywhere, knows that the Black players are deciding they’ll stand up for themselves.”

A fifth Black player for the Celtics, rookie Al Butler, left with them, and two Black players for the Hawks joined the boycott. One of those St. Louis players was Cleo Hill, a first-round pick earlier that year who was also denied service in Lexington. He earned the wrath of the Hawks’ owner, was subsequently ostracized by Hagan and other White teammates and — in something of a foreshadowing of the fate that would befall Colin Kaepernick — he was out of the NBA after that season.

By contrast, Celtics owner Walter Brown told Auerbach that the game should not have been played at all and vowed to “never to subject my players to that embarrassment again.” Ramsey also declared his “100 percent” support for Russell and the other Black players.

“No thinking person in Kentucky is a segregationist,” Ramsey said then. “I can’t tell you how sorry I am as a human being, as a friend of the players involved and as a resident of Kentucky for the embarrassment of this incident.”

However, the team’s biggest star at the time, Bob Cousy, did not say anything about the episode. Despite his friendship with Russell, he never thought to reach out to the center about the racist treatment Cousy saw Russell receive in Lexington, Boston, St. Louis and so many other places the Celtics visited. Many years later, he would send Russell a copy of Ta-Nehisi Coates’s “Between the World and Me” with a note that Cousy said amounted to a “mea culpa.”

“Looking back on it, I should have done more to share your pain,” Cousy said in 2018 of his note to Russell. “I’m sorry I didn’t.”

Not that Cousy’s former teammate, a towering figure in so many ways, really needed anyone to speak up for him.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 12:57:42 PM by lesterluv »
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

bodiddley

• View Profile
Assholic
« Reply #13083 on: August 27, 2020, 12:48:17 PM »

So did Les just use the term junglebunnies and in such a way as to attribute it to a paraphrase of me?

Why yes, Les is being a bigger asshole than usual.
Stop attributing racist shit related to slavery and racial slurs to me.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

lesterluv

• View Profile
Re: Assholic
« Reply #13084 on: August 27, 2020, 12:58:57 PM »

So did Les just use the term junglebunnies and in such a way as to attribute it to a paraphrase of me?

Why yes, Les is being a bigger asshole than usual.
Stop attributing racist shit related to slavery and racial slurs to me.

Yes I did. Because that's the attitude you're espousing.

Bo Knows What's Best for Blacks***

from now on I'll just abbreviate BKWBFB

***especially those indigent homeless types in the margins

Bo also knows how whites are supposed to feel BAKHWSF

***because he knows how white people are supposed to feel, at least one, himself -(don't really give a F, here's what's best for you, let's just keep feeding at the trough please)

***P.S. I'll be sure to send on your two-minute top of the head suggestions to the NBA players association cause I'm sure they're in dire need.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 01:07:35 PM by lesterluv »

lesterluv

• View Profile
and of course, the Knicks cannot help but be the Knicks...
« Reply #13085 on: August 27, 2020, 02:01:03 PM »

botching everything in a very Bo-eque fundamental misunderstanding of the situation.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/08/27/nba-protests-jacob-blake-knicks-statement

“The league’s decision”? The decision was taken entirely out of the league’s hands. That statement completely erases the significance of the players’ actions. It attempts to frame the postponement of the night’s slate of games as another example of the NBA’s corporate-friendly brand of social justice. It denies that the players have agency here and that they have the power to force the league to do things it doesn’t want to do.

It’s not surprising that the Knicks, of all teams, would be the ones to botch the response. After all, this is the franchise that sat on its hands refusing to make even the simplest statement against racism after the killing of George Floyd, before finally saying something two weeks later.

No matter what the Knicks say, though, the public realizes that the players are the ones holding the cards. If LeBron doesn’t want to participate in the playoffs, then you don’t have any playoffs. A business is nothing without the people who make it what it is—and that’s not the bosses.

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: and of course, the Knicks cannot help but be the Knicks...
« Reply #13086 on: August 27, 2020, 02:34:03 PM »

botching everything in a very Bo-eque fundamental misunderstanding of the situation.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/08/27/nba-protests-jacob-blake-knicks-statement

“The league’s decision”? The decision was taken entirely out of the league’s hands. That statement completely erases the significance of the players’ actions. It attempts to frame the postponement of the night’s slate of games as another example of the NBA’s corporate-friendly brand of social justice. It denies that the players have agency here and that they have the power to force the league to do things it doesn’t want to do.

It’s not surprising that the Knicks, of all teams, would be the ones to botch the response. After all, this is the franchise that sat on its hands refusing to make even the simplest statement against racism after the killing of George Floyd, before finally saying something two weeks later.

No matter what the Knicks say, though, the public realizes that the players are the ones holding the cards. If LeBron doesn’t want to participate in the playoffs, then you don’t have any playoffs. A business is nothing without the people who make it what it is—and that’s not the bosses.

I don't think the Knicks were consciously dissing the players. 

More like someone made a post depending on the GRAMMERLY App. 

In any event, yes, the players precipitated the response, but compare and contrast THE LEAGUE & ITS OWNERS, with the scum bags in the NFL who drove Colin Kapernick out of the game and took four fucking years to catch up to mankind.

lesterluv

• View Profile
« Reply #13087 on: August 27, 2020, 03:21:09 PM »

yup, much better league, and in general, group of owners, great mgmt at the top makes up for a few Dolans — love to see the season continue, but am completely down with however whatever players decide. Look like it will, players, governors, league office, NBPA meeting this afternoon:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-boycott-live-updates-players-agree-to-resume-playoffs-per-report-league-eyeing-friday-or-saturday/live/

*** But does that mean our racist house imbecile returns too? If so, this bud's for you in advance:
"Coronavirus: Texas health officials issue warning after spike in people ingesting bleach to treat disease" https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-texas-poision-centre-bleach-ingestion-warning-a9687936.html
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:25:04 PM by lesterluv »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #13088 on: August 27, 2020, 03:27:15 PM »

Gee, the players decided to continue the playoffs, what a surprise ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
Not A Good Look, Dude
« Reply #13089 on: August 27, 2020, 03:32:36 PM »

Gee, the players decided to continue the playoffs, what a surprise ...

Did Kiid just hack your account?

What exactly prompted you to gift us with such a snarky piece of condescension. 

I take it this has something to do with Dawg's unique sense of personal engagement. 

But as your friend, and an admirer, I must say that was NOT A GOOD LOOK, dude. 

lesterluv

• View Profile
« Reply #13090 on: August 27, 2020, 03:35:01 PM »

lmfao...yo Chip, I guess they didn't know what to do until Bo told 'em

*** I also guess we'll have to wait and see if that homeless 'n indigent cash is part of the final package they walk out with
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:42:58 PM by lesterluv »

chipstern

• View Profile
Exhale
« Reply #13091 on: August 27, 2020, 03:43:18 PM »

lmfao...yo Chip, I guess they didn't know what to do until Bo told 'em

*** I guess we'll have to wait and see if that homeless 'n indigent cash is part of the final package they walk out with

Time to take your foot off of the gas pedal, dude. 

BoD is a good man. 

So are you, but there are times when you relish the posture of a provocateur as if you were participating in the Nathan's Hot Dog Challenge. 

Exhale. 

lesterluv

• View Profile
You right of course. I'm good now.
« Reply #13092 on: August 27, 2020, 03:47:12 PM »

chipstern

• View Profile
Playoffs
« Reply #13093 on: August 27, 2020, 03:56:22 PM »

The Players Felt IMPOTENT, to engender change and a positive dialog. 

And that playing for the past two nights was a mixed message to send.

Like Kenny The Jet, said, I feel as though my head is going to explode.  WE HAD TO MAKE SOME SORT OF HUMANE GESTURE. 

Fair enough. 

Their most powerful platform is their talent and their presentation, thereof. 

If they can leverage THAT, as in, voting drives. 

Mere's An Idea As To How To Leverage All Of Their Financial Power. 

Purchase Top Of The Line Mail Sorting Machines To Replace All Of Those Trashed By Trump & DeJoy To The World, And Thus Enable Vote In Ballots....Create A System Of Transportation To Get People To The Polls...Get People To Be Placeholders For Those Who Cannot Stand For Hours On End In Deliberately Stalled Lines At Polling Location
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 04:20:12 PM by chipstern »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #13094 on: August 27, 2020, 04:27:53 PM »

My point was that I got mocked and branded some sort of racist for advocating the same policy and basic viewpoint the majority of NBA players just adopted.

Note that only one person here is employing ugly old-fashioned racial slurs.
Les is an asshole, it's his MO here for whatever reason. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 1849