Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3386 3387 [3388] 3389 3390 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1648693 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Bush Administration
« Reply #50805 on: September 19, 2020, 08:52:45 AM »

Dem senators voting against this time around will be hypocrites as well, no?
No. The Dems lost the.argumenf.4 years ago. Now they are arguing for the fair application of that principal.

Sucks the system works this way, I agree.  But it just does.
No, the system did not used.to work this way. It was a deliberate choice by McConnell.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50806 on: September 19, 2020, 09:32:00 AM »

Fires everywhere.

But not from the protests.

Yes, from the rioting protests

Have you actually looked at pictures of all of Portland? The areas with protests and any conflict and fires is a tiny section. In the vast majority of the city, if you didn't know about the protests, you wouldn't be able to tell. The air, OTOH, is terrible, because of the wildfires.

Oh, wait - of course you haven't looked. You're like the people who watch Westerns and think that's what the western US is like.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50807 on: September 19, 2020, 09:37:23 AM »

Dem senators voting against this time around will be hypocrites as well, no?

No.

Hypocrisy would have been if they had gotten Merrick Garland, but refused to let Trump name somebody.

But you ought to know better - you are, after all, our #2 expert on hypocrisy, after Ward.

Then again, you're just trolling, as ever. #2 there, too.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #50808 on: September 19, 2020, 09:45:31 AM »

Perhaps a direct appeal to whomever a prospective nominee is to refuse a nomination until the winner of the 2020 election has been sworn in, as their reaffirmation of the seemingly shifting principle as outlined by McConnell in 2016, that in an election year, a SC apppointment  should be decided by the people. That is if you believe in our democratic process you won't be party to this sham.

Never happen.

Republicans believe in power, and voter suppression to maintain that power, not shame, nor democracy.

Its a shame

barton

« Reply #50809 on: September 19, 2020, 10:17:50 AM »

Strategically,  it makes no sense for the GOP to try and fast track this nom.  If Trump really wants to attract single issue voters who might be wavering,  then offering the appointment as part of his next term would be quite the magnet.  Think of the implications for things like Roe vs. Wade, gay rights, religious freedoms, native treaty rights, environmental impacts, etc. It's huge. The consequences of being able to get a third hard-right candidate on the bench tops pretty much everything else that Trump can offer conservatives and moderates who are disgruntled with him right now over stuff like his character,  his disparaging the military, his fascistic tendencies,  etc.   

The only way rushing an appointment makes sense is... if Trump thinks he will lose and wants to be sure he gets in his court packing legacy. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #50810 on: September 19, 2020, 10:27:26 AM »

The motherfucker needs the SC vote to keep his tax returns and financial records sealed and hidden to keep his ass out of jail.

Corruption and the death of American democracy is the legacy of this fucking con man and traitor

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50811 on: September 19, 2020, 10:31:35 AM »

Perhaps a direct appeal to whomever a prospective nominee is to refuse a nomination until the winner of the 2020 election has been sworn in, as their reaffirmation of the seemingly shifting principle as outlined by McConnell in 2016, that in an election year, a SC apppointment  should be decided by the people. That is if you believe in our democratic process you won't be party to this sham.

Never happen.

Republicans believe in power, and voter suppression to maintain that power, not shame, nor democracy.

Its a shame

Part of the question is how many "defectors" McConnell needs to deal with. If he only had 1 or 2, then he can do it whenever he wants before the inauguration. But if he has 3 GOP senators saying no to the nomination, then he'll have to act by November 30th or risk losing because Kelly could be sworn in then or shortly thereafter, if he wins. And with McSally promising to support McConnell/Trump in this, she seems resigned to losing.

I have to say, I hate needing to rely on the likes of Susan Collins, but she's one.  “I think that's too close, I really do,” She added that she would oppose seating a justice in the lame-duck session if Democratic nominee Joe Biden defeats Trump. That's important.

Graham was clear in 2018: “This may make you feel better, but I really don’t care,” Graham said. “If an opening comes in the last year of President Trump’s term, and the primary process has started, we’ll wait until the next election.” And he's the (comparatively) new chairman of the Judiciary Committee. In 2016, he was even stronger: Graham was even more explicit in 2016, saying, “I want you to use my words against me: If there’s a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say Lindsey Graham said, ‘Let’s let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination.’ And you could use my words against me, and you’d be absolutely right.”

But his more recent comments have been fuzzier - and he's been known to reverse course. More recently, he followed McConnell's "reasoning" (or excuse-making): "Merrick Garland was a different situation. You had the president of one party nominating, and you had the Senate in the hands of the other party. A situation where you've got them both would be different. I don't want to speculate, but I think appointing judges is a high priority for me in 2020."

Grassley said this summer, that "I'm just following what was established by the Biden Rule in 1986 and then emphasized by him in 1992... They set the pattern. I didn't set the pattern. But it was very legitimate that you can't have one rule for Democratic presidents and another rule for Republican presidents."

It's hard to believe that Lisa Murkowski is the most reliable of the four, but I think she just is: “When Republicans held off Merrick Garland it was because nine months prior to the election was too close, we needed to let people decide. And I agreed to do that. If we now say that months prior to the election is OK when nine months was not, that is a double standard and I don’t believe we should do it,” she said. “So I would not support it.”

Romney hasn't been heard from, contrary to some reports. But I have to tell you, I sure would feel more comfortable if 5 GOP senators came out against a nomination approved before election or if there is a lame duck presidency. It protects against Manchin.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50812 on: September 19, 2020, 10:32:48 AM »

Strategically,  it makes no sense for the GOP to try and fast track this nom.  If Trump really wants to attract single issue voters who might be wavering,  then offering the appointment as part of his next term would be quite the magnet.  Think of the implications for things like Roe vs. Wade, gay rights, religious freedoms, native treaty rights, environmental impacts, etc. It's huge. The consequences of being able to get a third hard-right candidate on the bench tops pretty much everything else that Trump can offer conservatives and moderates who are disgruntled with him right now over stuff like his character,  his disparaging the military, his fascistic tendencies,  etc.   

The only way rushing an appointment makes sense is... if Trump thinks he will lose and wants to be sure he gets in his court packing legacy.

If he doesn't believe he can lose, then he has no reason not to fast track it.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #50813 on: September 19, 2020, 10:36:13 AM »

Dem senators were set to vote FOR Obama's nominee - in the last year of Obama's term.

That Garland didn't get the hearing doesnt change what their approach was at the time.
Thus - in not wishing to have a hearing/vote on a Trump nominee now - they are hypocrites, yes.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #50814 on: September 19, 2020, 10:40:50 AM »

The motherfucker needs the SC vote to keep his tax returns and financial records sealed and hidden to keep his ass out of jail.

YES. In fact this is the only question used when the vetting is done.

heh

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #50815 on: September 19, 2020, 10:42:22 AM »

Dem senators were set to vote FOR Obama's nominee - in the last year of Obama's term.

That Garland didn't get the hearing doesnt change what their approach was at the time.
Thus - in not wishing to have a hearing/vote on a Trump nominee now - they are hypocrites, yes.

Oh fuck that!

There 10 months before the election and there are now 45 days.

You and the GOP are hypocrites.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #50816 on: September 19, 2020, 10:45:35 AM »

Sucks the system works this way, I agree.  But it just does.

It's not that the system works this way.
The system has been manipulated by McConnell to work this way.
Traditionally, Obama would have filled the last seat.
And very likely this seat, open so close to the election, would have been left vacant due to the filibuster 60 requirement. 
But McConnell has made the Senate to be an obstructionist and wholly partisan entity.  It wasn't always such, but old rules and traditions have been wiped away.

I guess it's the Dems own fault for not controlling the Senate.
I thought a big mistake Hillary made was not pushing for a DEM Senate.  Or waiting til the last two weeks to even talk about such.  Obama was largely neutered by 6 years of GOP Senate control, and Clinton's presidency would face the same roadblocks if the GOP retained Senate control, and yet it wasn't a major priority.
Maybe now Bloomberg or Soros or some other billionaire will dump a ton of money into knocking out Collins and a few others.  Not too late.

And of course, Biden needs to make this a huge example of the need for a DEM Senate and start touting all the candidates running and talking about the need for a Dem Senate every chance he gets (which he should have been doing already).

So, a 2-time loser, Hillary

In addition to losing to Donald she did nothing - or certainly not enough - to boost congressional candidates of her party

Thanks for this reminder.  She goes down in the annals of your party as a quite negative figure.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #50817 on: September 19, 2020, 10:56:05 AM »

If the Senate can fast track a Supreme Court nomination and confirmation the American people have the right to know why it couldn’t move on Covid relief before the first round of benefits expired.

Go ahead and explain that to the small businesses going under while they and their workers are exposed to death and disease.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #50818 on: September 19, 2020, 11:02:29 AM »

The GOP is owned the corporations through the Federalists. That’s why I really don’t have much use for the Lincoln Project motherfuckers. Trying to play it both ways.

They helped create the monster that got loose on the land.

They’re gonna want credit and be let back into polite society when and if the monster and his minions are vanquished.

Fuck that.

They built the laboratory that spawned the monster.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #50819 on: September 19, 2020, 11:03:41 AM »

YES. In fact this is the only question used when the vetting is done.

heh

That you think Trump cares anything about anyone than himself and maybe his children is what's laughable.

Not your pathetic mindless "hehs".

He remains willing to put HIS SUPPORTERS at risk of death for his political purposes.

That you still remain blind to this reality speaks to your cluelessness.

He has no political philospophy other than "what's in it for me".

He is an evil corrupt motherfucker grifter and if sandbagging every possible democratic institution is is in his best interest, and if infecting America with his deadly faux vaccine of racism hate fear and unconscionable greed is iin his narrow best interest,  he will.
Pages: 1 ... 3386 3387 [3388] 3389 3390 ... 4288