Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 291754 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #4605 on: June 17, 2021, 12:22:32 PM »

Pretty sure LA will make some moves as well

SD?  Maybe.

Good division

NL East?  Not so much as advertised.

How much did it hurt Philly when that kid CF retired?  That was sad to hear.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: June 17, 2021, 01:15:02 PM »

Pretty sure LA will make some moves as well

SD?  Maybe.

Good division

NL East?  Not so much as advertised.

How much did it hurt Philly when that kid CF retired?  That was sad to hear.

It is still money against the cap, if that's what you mean by hurt.

I like the Luke Williams story, so far. Reminds one of a young Tim Teuffel. Like a guy who just comes to play hard every day.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: June 17, 2021, 04:35:03 PM »

Oh, wait - he's back

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/adam-haseley-reinstated-phillies-40-man-roster-rafael-marchan

Oh, thought you were referencing Scott Kingery, who nobody seems to be able to explain, but is now the highest paid minor leaguer.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: June 17, 2021, 11:46:13 PM »

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-turn-wild-triple-play-against-blue-jays

It was wild to watch to start with and didn't become less absurd over replays.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: June 18, 2021, 10:19:07 AM »

Nice job by Yanks.  Clearly a baserunning mistake by the young Bichette.

Conversation in one of my Facebook groups going on right now of how young players, even the elite, just do not know basic baseball skills.

Where is Bichette going?  It's hit back to the mound for Christ sake.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 10:22:18 AM by kidcarter8 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: June 18, 2021, 12:16:16 PM »

Nice job by Yanks.  Clearly a baserunning mistake by the young Bichette.

Conversation in one of my Facebook groups going on right now of how young players, even the elite, just do not know basic baseball skills.

Where is Bichette going?  It's hit back to the mound for Christ sake.

Both baserunners botched it.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: June 18, 2021, 12:27:07 PM »

How?  Bichette was trapped.  If not its 2nd and 3rd one out.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: June 18, 2021, 12:46:29 PM »

How?  Bichette was trapped.  If not its 2nd and 3rd one out.

LeMahieu then threw it to shortstop Gleyber Torres in the middle of the infield, who quickly sent it to catcher Gary Sánchez, sensing Marcus Semien was in no-man's land between third and home plate. The backstop threw it to third baseman Gio Urshela, who tagged Semien out.

If Semien stays home, then it's a runner on third with two outs. If when they go after Semien, Bichette goes back to 2nd, it's a runner on 2nd with two outs.

Bichette screwed up. Then Semien did. Then Bichette again.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: June 18, 2021, 12:52:19 PM »

If Semien stays home, then it's a runner on third with two outs. If when they go after Semien, Bichette goes back to 2nd, it's a runner on 2nd with two outs.

But that would be dumb.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: June 18, 2021, 01:31:57 PM »

But that would be dumb.

No. Going off the base to try to save Bichette was dumb, as demonstrated by the play. All if did was get him out instead of the runner on 2nd. Which would you rather have? The runner on 2nd with two outs or the runner on 3rd?

By the time Semien made his move, two outs were nearly guaranteed. He just changed which baserunner it was going to be who was out. There was no advantage to his getting himself out so Bichette could try for third - Semien was already there.

And he had ~0 shot at home.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: June 18, 2021, 02:15:25 PM »

No. Going off the base to try to save Bichette was dumb, as demonstrated by the play. All if did was get him out instead of the runner on 2nd. Which would you rather have? The runner on 2nd with two outs or the runner on 3rd?

You would rather the run down be between third and home than between second and third. 

Bichette's second mistake was not getting to 3B in time.  Bichette on 3rd, once he made the initial mistake - with 2 down - should have been the worst outcome for Jays if done properly.  Best of course being Semien scoring.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: June 18, 2021, 02:17:39 PM »

If you see that play 20 times, 20 times you will see the player leave 3B.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: June 18, 2021, 06:33:35 PM »

You would rather the run down be between third and home than between second and third. 

Bichette's second mistake was not getting to 3B in time.  Bichette on 3rd, once he made the initial mistake - with 2 down - should have been the worst outcome for Jays if done properly.  Best of course being Semien scoring.

I said "Going off the base to try to save Bichette was dumb, as demonstrated by the play. All if did was get him out instead of the runner on 2nd"

You asked "You would rather the run down be between third and home than between second and third."

I'm trying to stay away from personal insults, Kid. I'm trying very hard.

But since I argued already that I thought the runner on third screwed up and should have stayed home, I really don't have the faintest what you are pretending I said.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: June 18, 2021, 06:35:38 PM »

If you see that play 20 times, 20 times you will see the player leave 3B.

So YOU are saying that "You would rather the run down be between third and home than between second and third."

Not me.

Got it.

If you see that play 20 times, at least 19 of them will result in the runner going home being out. And more than half the time, the runner on 2nd will retreat, not get thrown out at 3rd.

But I am pretty sure that you won't see the runner on third going quite that far. Otherwise we would have more triple plays of that sort.
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 469