Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 291723 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The World Series!
« Reply #5415 on: October 07, 2021, 12:37:08 AM »

The message cannot be empty when I do this. So, now it is not empty.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 11:52:32 PM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #5416 on: October 07, 2021, 01:12:32 AM »

Quite the ending!

Dodgers go on to the next level - Giants vs. Dodgers, the rivalry finally getting to be head to head in the post-season!
Sort of with an *

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: October 07, 2021, 01:25:34 AM »

Tonight I learned that the way they have played the entire season is not the way the post-season is to be played!

No more 'each extra inning starts with a man on 2nd base' crap.

I prefer it that way, but sure think having the playoffs under different rules is weird.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: October 07, 2021, 01:25:56 AM »

Quite the ending!

Dodgers go on to the next level - Giants vs. Dodgers, the rivalry finally getting to be head to head in the post-season!
Sort of with an *

Why?

Did I miss something?

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: October 07, 2021, 01:28:14 AM »

Quite the ending!

Sort of with an *

Why?

Did I miss something?
yes and no. Check out 1962.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: October 07, 2021, 02:29:05 AM »

Quite the ending!

Sort of with an *

Why?

Did I miss something?
yes and no. Check out 1962.

Right. Regular season games 163-165.

bosox26d

• View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: October 07, 2021, 04:06:33 AM »

Too bad the Cardinals didn't have Jack Clark tonight.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: October 07, 2021, 08:05:17 AM »

Hate the Dodgers, but that was a great baseball game, last night.

NL baseball is so much more entertaining!!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: October 07, 2021, 08:35:29 AM »

Yes, because there is nothing so exciting as watching a pitcher bat, except maybe the staggering managerial genius and sublime beauty of a well executed double switch.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: October 07, 2021, 09:26:52 AM »

Yes, because there is nothing so exciting as watching a pitcher bat, except maybe the staggering managerial genius and sublime beauty of a well executed double switch.

Both pitchers got a sac bunt down last night.  Either could have led to a hugely important run.

Amazing stat on Scherzer though

0 for 59 with 3 sac bunts and a sac fly for the year.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: October 07, 2021, 10:52:40 AM »

Both pitchers got a sac bunt down last night.  Either could have led to a hugely important run.

So, three sac bunts and 60 times he flailed pathetically at the plate, including one instance where thanks to the law of averages he hit the ball hard enough to get it to the outfield? Excitement!
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: October 07, 2021, 11:07:55 AM »

This year is an anomaly for him - he used to be an above average hitter as pitchers go. He was no Max Fried, but you still had to pitch to him.

He's among the NL pitchers on record as not objecting to the switch to DH for their league.

I imagine the purists are just going to be stuck watching reruns.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: October 07, 2021, 11:25:52 AM »

I imagine the purists will adapt.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: October 07, 2021, 12:12:32 PM »

This year is an anomaly for him - he used to be an above average hitter as pitchers go. He was no Max Fried, but you still had to pitch to him.

He's among the NL pitchers on record as not objecting to the switch to DH for their league.

I imagine the purists are just going to be stuck watching reruns.
They can go find a league that doesn't use the DH. If there is one.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: October 07, 2021, 12:21:29 PM »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/tv-ratings-tuesday-oct-5-2021-1235026752/

ESPN (7.12 million) and ESPN2 (573,000) combined for 7.69 million viewers for the AL wild card game, the most for any wild card matchup since 2015. It was also the biggest audience for a wild card game on ESPN since 1998 and was up 67 percent from the last time ESPN and ESPN2 had the AL wild card in 2019 (4.54 million).

I guess marketing Bucky F Dent nostalgia over rode the glaring omission of pitchers striking out or the intricate beauty of the double switch and goosed WC ratings.
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 469