Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 291747 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #5685 on: October 14, 2021, 03:33:05 PM »

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-shildt-dismissed-by-cardinals

Difference of opinion on the direction of the ball club.

Right.

Does Dusty have to beat Boston to stay employed?  I know some in Tampa that want Cash out

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: October 14, 2021, 03:48:42 PM »

RIP Ray Fosse, a man whose career was ruined because some overhyped overrated Johnny Gung Ho asswipe singles hitter decided to treat an exhibition game like fucking Game 7.

Surprised that he lived this long, wearing the humiliating stain of defeat upon his sunken chest, and never quite understanding that the goal of the professional game is to win it and not just show up, which remains acceptable in backwater towns like Cleveland, OH, East Lansing, MI and Old Esquireville, AZ.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: October 14, 2021, 03:50:41 PM »

The bottom line on the Dodgers/Giants series is that MLB will have more pressure on it to change the play-off structure. It shouldn't be that the two teams with the best records in the league face off prior to the championship game. it shouldn't be that the team with the second best record has to play a play-in game to get into the play-offs.

So, I hope that the outcome of this series forces at least that change, where all teams are first seeded by record, and the reseeded after each advance in the play-offs.

So, in the NL, it should've been ATL v STL, followed by winner to play SF, and LAD to play the Brewers, and then those winners face each other.

I don't think a 1 game play in for a division champ is proper.  O think you mean after LA wins the WC then they seed by record

Nope, accept the top 5 teams in each league by record, then seed by record. If this means abandoning divisions, so be it.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: October 14, 2021, 03:56:03 PM »

RIP Ray Fosse, a man whose career was ruined because some overhyped overrated Johnny Gung Ho asswipe singles hitter decided to treat an exhibition game like fucking Game 7.

Surprised that he lived this long,
Yes, 16 years battling cancer is a long time. Fought, as the say, the good fight against inevitability.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: October 14, 2021, 03:56:40 PM »

Certainly one of those trends has to give.

(he said, profoundly)

Put forth by a woman on MLB Radio, today, I kid you not: The team that wins will have to play good baseball.

Just guessing that she has little experience actually playing baseball, but I could be wrong. Still, the male broadcaster with her, Ryan Spilborghs, was quick to agree. What else could he say? Thank you, Captain Obvious?

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: October 14, 2021, 04:03:31 PM »

Yes, 16 years battling cancer is a long time. Fought, as the say, the good fight against inevitability.

Sorry, and it's not your fault, but you've triggered me with that last sentence.

One doesn't fight cancer. One gets it and either survives or doesn't. It's not a battle, and framing it as such fits our need to see things in terms of wins and losses, while ignoring the scientific reality of the disease itself.

But it doesn't help anyone who has it to see it as a battle, especially, when ultimately framing it as such is merely setting them up to feel a sense of failure once they've succumbed to that inevitability to which you've referred.

Apologies to anyone who is sensitive to this discussion, but I've seen too many people die from cancer, and none of them were ever helped by framing their last few years, months, weeks and days as a "fight" to the finish.

Sorry for the Fosse family, too.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: October 14, 2021, 04:17:40 PM »

Put forth by a woman on MLB Radio, today, I kid you not: The team that wins will have to play good baseball.

A-Rodish
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5692 on: October 14, 2021, 04:20:33 PM »

Sorry, and it's not your fault, but you've triggered me with that last sentence.

One doesn't fight cancer. One gets it and either survives or doesn't. It's not a battle, and framing it as such fits our need to see things in terms of wins and losses, while ignoring the scientific reality of the disease itself.

But it doesn't help anyone who has it to see it as a battle, especially, when ultimately framing it as such is merely setting them up to feel a sense of failure once they've succumbed to that inevitability to which you've referred.

Apologies to anyone who is sensitive to this discussion, but I've seen too many people die from cancer, and none of them were ever helped by framing their last few years, months, weeks and days as a "fight" to the finish.

The word "inevitability" is certainly improper.  Many survive cancer.  But I do agree that there is a certain FIGHT to it.  On those rough days...especially fighting to keep an appearance for loved ones.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: October 14, 2021, 05:09:45 PM »

The word "inevitability" is certainly improper.  Many survive cancer.  But I do agree that there is a certain FIGHT to it.  On those rough days...especially fighting to keep an appearance for loved ones.

As I said, one survives cancer or one doesn't.

Fighting to maintain composure and showing strength in the face of adversity for the sake of others? That's different. But not the same as the framing of "battling cancer" or "fighting cancer" or "declaring war on cancer" and all that other bullshit.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: October 14, 2021, 05:14:04 PM »

One doesn't fight cancer. One gets it and either survives or doesn't.

One fights cancer by accepting treatment. One fights cancer by making lifestyle changes that improve your odds. One fights cancer through attitude.

One choose to not fight cancer by refusing treatment.

It is unfortunate that you find that phrasing triggering, but it is how those I've known with it viewed it, both those who worked to survive it and those who chose not to make that kind of effort or to allow others to make it on their behalves.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5695 on: October 14, 2021, 05:29:44 PM »

Certainly one of those trends has to give.

(he said, profoundly)

Just guessing that she has little experience actually playing baseball, but I could be wrong. Still, the male broadcaster with her, Ryan Spilborghs, was quick to agree. What else could he say? Thank you, Captain Obvious?
Probably she has played as much baseball as most tv pundits, all of whom mouth similar bullsbit.

One of my favorite broadcaster memories involved a local sportscaster who breathlessly announced the the Indians faced a "must win" game. It was the third game of the season.

I also recall I think it was Jack Youngblood talking of how, in the huddle during a playoff game, players kept saying there was no tomorrow and he kept wondering if they were going to be disappointed when they woke up on Monday.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: October 14, 2021, 10:32:23 PM »

This home plate umpire isn't having a good game.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NLDS!
« Reply #5697 on: October 15, 2021, 12:28:06 AM »

What an amazing game!

Scherzer coming in for the save for the Dodgers, on two days rest. Shades of Alex Cora (among others).

Will it work?!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NLDS!
« Reply #5698 on: October 15, 2021, 12:36:52 AM »

What an amazing game!

Scherzer coming in for the save for the Dodgers, on two days rest. Shades of Alex Cora (among others).

Will it work?!

"Scherzer has never had a professional save. He's one out away from the biggest one of his career!"

I didn't think the batter swung. Not even close.

But there it is, the biggest save of Scherzer's career.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: October 15, 2021, 12:40:54 AM »

Either did the 1st base ump. That was all check swing
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 469