Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 295772 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #6225 on: November 17, 2021, 02:08:56 PM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: November 17, 2021, 03:28:52 PM »

AND that Red Sox are in on Baez

I am OK with this if Mets sign Semien.

Baez in Boston...hmmm...

Good ballpark for his style of hitting. Takes defensive pressure off of Bogaerts.

Mets can overpay for Semien, if they want, and they would.

Mets - I am happy to say - have said they will pay the current freight to compete til they can get back organizationally to developing from within.

Couple of decent guys coming up soon.  Arms?  Not so much.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: November 17, 2021, 03:30:17 PM »

Actually have a third sacker we could rush, with McNeil taking 2B fulltime.  But jury now out on Jeff as a player and a person.  I think he may leave town.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: November 17, 2021, 05:11:29 PM »

AND that Red Sox are in on Baez

I am OK with this if Mets sign Semien.

Baez in Boston...hmmm...

Good ballpark for his style of hitting. Takes defensive pressure off of Bogaerts.

Mets can overpay for Semien, if they want, and they would.

Mets - I am happy to say - have said they will pay the current freight to compete til they can get back organizationally to developing from within.

Couple of decent guys coming up soon.  Arms?  Not so much.
Are not the Mets already overpaying for a shortstop?
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: November 17, 2021, 06:25:18 PM »

Paying handsomely, surely.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: November 17, 2021, 06:27:06 PM »

CF, 2B, SP, RP, C

Out go some of Cohen's dollars - and then some more...

Mets/Yanks clash over Marte should be interesting

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: November 17, 2021, 07:01:59 PM »

https://www.mlb.com/news/bbwaa-awards-finalists-2021?partnerId=zh-20211109-498384-mlb-1-A&qid=1026&utm_id=zh-20211109-498384-mlb-1-A&bt_ee=qJM%2FNp%2FG92%2FWKRChtXQ3B%2B8kArTVTNZp%2FYhr28EVPisNAUBkWr9DHzSlISc8IRlg&bt_ts=1636464489411

It would be pretty funny if Shildt won the Manager award after having been fired. I think it will be Kapler. In the AL, the Mariner's skipper would be my bet.

If somebody other than Ohtani wins the MVP I'd be surprised. Harper looks likely to win in the NL.

I'm thinking Ray and Burnes for Cy Young.

Franco would be my ROY bet. I have no opinion in the NL contest.

I wonder when and for whom the Manager of the Year and MVP awards will be named. It seems inevitable, though I could see them giving the two MVP awards different names.

Got one manager and both Cy Youngs. Missed on ROY in the AL and didn't even take a shot on the NL. 3/5 or 3/6 depending on how you count the NL ROY refusal to hazard a guess.

Wonder who gets the MVP and if I can stay at at least .500.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: November 18, 2021, 08:45:12 AM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: November 18, 2021, 09:14:05 AM »

Belt accepts QO from Giants

(1 in 14)

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/justin-verlander-freddie-freeman-among-those-to-reject-qualifying-offer.html

Mets are in a pickle.  They get a first rounder as compensation for losing Kumar Rocker.  But this gives them the #10 and #14 overall selections.  If they sign a player who has declined the QO they surrender their second highest pick.  Instead of it being a second rounder it is now the prime 14th overall.

So as much as I would love to take a stab at Castellanos or at Chris Taylor....

No.  Not likely.  Not when a big power arm close to the bigs might be available out of the collegiate ranks.

Conforto also likely gone, though I do expect Mets to show him some pretty good love.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: November 18, 2021, 10:48:59 AM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: November 18, 2021, 12:43:17 PM »

The Cy Young award has become a joke.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10018441-mlb-cy-young-award-2021-robbie-ray-corbin-burnes-named-al-nl-winners

The predicted winners won.

Who would you have chosen?

Ray and NOT Burnes.

I could have lived with Scherzer, but Wheeler was the deserving Cy Young. Scherzer because he went to another team in another Division, and pitched his team into the play-offs.  Wheeler pitched an MLB-high 213 1/3 innings (Burnes had 167!) , had a few shutouts (you remember what those are, don't you?), and did not have anywhere near the Bullpen that Burnes had, which meant his value to the team was much greater than Burnes's value.

Durability and endurance should matter, especially in this Bullpen era, because it takes pressure off of the pen, but according to too many voters, it apparently does not. 

Burnes was in a 6 man rotation, which means he had many times when he wasn't pitching every 5th day, the way Wheeler did.

Even then, Burnes averaged less than 6 innings per start, and Wheeler average pitching into the 7th

Wheeler led all MLB pitchers in bWAR (7.6) and strikeouts (247) while finishing 2nd in fWAR (7.3), FIP (2.59) and xERA (2.78).

Burnes was 2.43 ERA vs 2.78 ERA for Wheeler, but that difference is over 54 more innings pitched!

Wheeler recorded 139 MORE outs this season than Burnes, which is  more than 5 games worth of outs!

And according to Jayson Stark, if Wheeler, Burnes and Scherzer never threw a pitch after the 6th inning, Wheeler would have posted and ERA of 2.32, which is better than Scherzer's 2.60 and Burnes's 2.34.

Sorry, but the younger voters can't see the baseball field anymore, as they are too focused on blades of grass.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 12:46:23 PM by Hamilton Samuels »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: November 18, 2021, 03:27:50 PM »

zzzzzzzzz......

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: November 18, 2021, 03:32:09 PM »

zzzzzzzzz......

Translation: "I can't keep up."

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: November 18, 2021, 04:06:45 PM »

Shame how Phils have never developed their own Cy winner

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: November 18, 2021, 06:10:11 PM »

The Cy Young award has become a joke.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10018441-mlb-cy-young-award-2021-robbie-ray-corbin-burnes-named-al-nl-winners

The predicted winners won.

Who would you have chosen?

Ray and NOT Burnes.

I could have lived with Scherzer, but Wheeler was the deserving Cy Young. Scherzer because he went to another team in another Division, and pitched his team into the play-offs.  Wheeler pitched an MLB-high 213 1/3 innings (Burnes had 167!) , had a few shutouts (you remember what those are, don't you?), and did not have anywhere near the Bullpen that Burnes had, which meant his value to the team was much greater than Burnes's value.

Durability and endurance should matter, especially in this Bullpen era, because it takes pressure off of the pen, but according to too many voters, it apparently does not. 

Burnes was in a 6 man rotation, which means he had many times when he wasn't pitching every 5th day, the way Wheeler did.

Even then, Burnes averaged less than 6 innings per start, and Wheeler average pitching into the 7th

Wheeler led all MLB pitchers in bWAR (7.6) and strikeouts (247) while finishing 2nd in fWAR (7.3), FIP (2.59) and xERA (2.78).

Burnes was 2.43 ERA vs 2.78 ERA for Wheeler, but that difference is over 54 more innings pitched!

Wheeler recorded 139 MORE outs this season than Burnes, which is  more than 5 games worth of outs!

And according to Jayson Stark, if Wheeler, Burnes and Scherzer never threw a pitch after the 6th inning, Wheeler would have posted and ERA of 2.32, which is better than Scherzer's 2.60 and Burnes's 2.34.

Sorry, but the younger voters can't see the baseball field anymore, as they are too focused on blades of grass.

Thank you.

Lots of reasons to have gone with Wheeler, to be sure.
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 469