Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 946 947 [948] 949 950 ... 1849

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 927678 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #14205 on: November 15, 2020, 12:38:52 AM »

I’d rather let someone else pay for the privilege of rubbing his warts out enough that he’s a fully functional player over his first two guaranteed years.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14206 on: November 15, 2020, 12:39:13 AM »

GSW and CHA don't need RJB, they want shooters and defenders.

Hornets need everything - their GM - my former neighbor - said so just today.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: This time it’s about the fucking Knicks
« Reply #14207 on: November 15, 2020, 12:45:04 AM »

So you're saying the Knicks sacrifice MR and Vassell for (presumably) Ball? who?

AND they pay a higher contract to Ball than MR.  What a deal!

Why would they do this?

Why?
Because they’re the fucking Knicks and they listen to advice from morons that are at the same level of idiocy of Chamaco Cartero.

Heh

I really enjoy your latest lines, Carlos.

Knicks do this because Robinson will cost them a fortune when they try to re-sign him - and they arent sure he'd be worth it.

I dont see RJ being sold unless we also get a usable player back with the #1 or 2

Are we also doing this for a different player than LaMelo (read:  if Ball is not going to be there)?

Maybe.

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
GSW
« Reply #14208 on: November 15, 2020, 12:47:52 AM »

BoZ, if Ball was such a sure thing, such a genius, why would GS do that trade?
Curry is 32, going on to 33 pretty soon. I’m sure they could coexist for a while, with plenty of minutes for Ball at the 1 or 2. Great guard rotation Curry-Ball-Klay.
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

FWK00

• View Profile
« Reply #14209 on: November 15, 2020, 12:57:45 AM »

Rusty is too much of a commitment for too long. Screw that. Let Houston enjoy the marriage.

If Ball drops to 8, sure, pick him. No trading up for him though.

Actually if a team above us takes him and will give him up for 8 and the second rounder, pull the trigger.

This is more or less how I feel about it.

Ball has real value - 6'7" and talented.  But there's something about this draft that has leveled the playing field.

The picture being painted is that the GSW get EVERYTHING they need to once again dominate the league including some cap relief!

One would think that somebody picking early would be gushing over drafting a 10 year franchise player.  But in fact most of the early teams are trying their best to bail out.

If the GSW don't want the expensive commitment of an early pick then 8 is available with a consolation prize, say 27 or 38, or Wooten.

But this is just me talking trash - I really like Vassell for the Knicks and he'll be there at 8.  He, too, has some serious upside in a Thibodeau framework. The GSW KNOW this.  They aren't stupid.

So when these teams have their hands out like oh, yeah, *JUST* MR or RJB *AND* we'll just have to settle for ho-hum Vassell or Haliburton... we'll try to get by....

I mean let's not do that.  At 8, there will be 5 - 8 players all of whom could break out big.

Give me Westbrook/Frankie, RJB/Dot, Bullock/Vassell - will anyone shed a tear about Ball?

Not me.

FWK00

• View Profile
« Reply #14210 on: November 15, 2020, 01:02:31 AM »

So you're saying the Knicks sacrifice MR and Vassell for (presumably) Ball? who?

Why would they do this?

Why?
Because they’re the fucking Knicks and they listen to advice from morons that are at the same level of idiocy of Chamaco Cartero.

Heh

I really enjoy your latest lines, Carlos.

Knicks do this because Robinson will cost them a fortune when they try to re-sign him - and they arent sure he'd be worth it.

I dont see RJ being sold unless we also get a usable player back with the #1 or 2

Are we also doing this for a different player than LaMelo (read:  if Ball is not going to be there)?

Maybe.

I could see MR for Wiseman, straight up.

Less risk, similar/different upside.  Knicks would keep their three picks.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14211 on: November 15, 2020, 01:53:00 AM »

You look at what Thompson and Favors get this off-season. That is the ball park for Mitch’s extension. I don’t know how that will stack up with what Wiseman gets in his guaranteed slot, depending on where he’s drafted.

Having Mitch, I wouldn’t trade him for Wiseman. If I had Wiseman, I wouldn’t offer him for Mitch. I’d try to develop the bird in hand.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14212 on: November 15, 2020, 01:56:56 AM »

We need starting talent much more than we need to worry about the cap (of course you do both).

But Mitch is going to require a sizable contract relatively soon.
He's a ridiculous bargain next year at under $2M.
The year after we hold a $2M team option, but man if his people won't be hugely unhappy if Knix force him to honor that.  Meaning he'd likely leave as a FA after 2 years of being extremely underpaid. 

So I'd guess NYK will need to reup Mitch at at least 4/$40M.
Probably more like 4/$50M, with Mitch giving us a bit of a break since we could have suckered him in to the first year of that timeframe at $2M (ie it's akin to picking up the team option of $2M, plus a 3 year extension of 3/$48M -- so 4/$50M seems fair.

Without looking at rook scale numbers, I'm guessing that Ball will be 5 years for roughly $10M average, and Mitch about the same.  But more of that Ball money will count against the cap next year when we have space, and somewhat less in Y4 & Y5 when we should be tighter on cap space.  But overall the cap hit/price between them is likely negligible.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: GSW
« Reply #14213 on: November 15, 2020, 02:22:18 AM »

Curry is 32, going on to 33 pretty soon. I’m sure they could coexist for a while, with plenty of minutes for Ball at the 1 or 2. Great guard rotation Curry-Ball-Klay.

No one is saying Ball is a sure thing.
But yes, he has some passing genius.
Take a look at some game assists he's made at 19.
For a few of them, I could watch the replay once or twice and still wouldn't see the passing op except for the fact that he did and connected on it.  Some of what he does reminds me of Jason Kidd.  An apt comparison since Kidd pushed the pace and made great passes but had a somewhat funky outside shot. 
A 6'7" Jason Kidd. 
One scout said that LaMelo likes to try Harlem Globetrotter style passes, yet he's able to make them work in game.  Some passing genius there.

Now it's hard to gauge desire and work ethic and mentality.  He's just 19.  But he seems to really love basketball, his brother is an NBA player, his family supports him, etc.  So a good support network (somewhat similar to RJB).  I don't think you have to worry about NY nightlife corrupting him (who knows, Dwight came into the league a choirboy with a state trooper dad and became a non-workout sex addict or somesuch). 

Not to say that LaMelo will develop into a Jason Kidd-level leader, defender, and late career accurate shooter.  But that's his potential.  I'd say his floor is Brother Lonzo (still developing) or Jason Williams (talented, solid PG, who was a wizard with the ball).

Having LaMelo will help RJB develop and improve Randle's game (Randle a good floor running Big).  Also give us a good op to see what Franc can do and where he fits in.  Can Franc handle 15 mins of backup PG a night v. 2nd units?  Can Franc slot in at SG next to LaBall and be effective for 10+ mins.  A very Big Backcourt, which Knick fans used to get excited about.
But Ball and Franc might be too weak a 3-point pairing, unless they can really disrupt on D.
Thibs likes D more than 3's.

Otherwise, I think RJB has more value to us than trade value to others teams.
He's young and still mostly potential with an NBA body. I doubt we could get enough for him, and teams likely want to wiat a year to see what he's got.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: GSW
« Reply #14214 on: November 15, 2020, 08:05:11 AM »

It would certainly be about fit

Ball isn't really even central to their thoughts if they stay at and select at 2.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14215 on: November 15, 2020, 08:15:49 AM »

I could put together a "what if we could have traded ________ for Doncic on draft day?" question.

Likely at the time you would have been less in favor of the mythical deal than you are now.

If management really loves/covets LaMelo, why would you scoff at this?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 09:47:26 AM by kidcarter8 »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14216 on: November 15, 2020, 09:51:51 AM »

Steve Popper now reporting Knicks not interested in BALL or EDWARDS.  Also not too keen on HALIBURTON as well.

Trade down appears imminent.

Also hearing Van Vleet back to Raptors and Joe Harris too expensive for us, while Melo rumors to NY continue.

Paul, Barrett, Bullock, Carmelo, X.   Starting 5.

Draftees off bench.

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Luka
« Reply #14217 on: November 15, 2020, 09:56:09 AM »

I could put together a "what if we could have traded ________ for Doncic on draft day?" question.

Likely at the time you would have been less in favor of the mythical deal than you are now.

If management really loves/covets LaMelo, why would you scoff at this?

Big difference.

Doncic WAS A SURE THING, and I told you all so.

Anybody following Euro ball knew it too.
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14218 on: November 15, 2020, 10:27:59 AM »

So was Trae Young.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14219 on: November 15, 2020, 10:33:26 AM »

Doncic still needs to take the next step.
Pages: 1 ... 946 947 [948] 949 950 ... 1849