Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 2723

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 501238 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #4815 on: April 05, 2021, 11:53:13 AM »

I posted a quote from his daughter.

Speaking of context, your original problem was I stated White America hated King until after he was dead and you disputed that with your usual vehemence.

Now you’re saying King was persona non grata... no shit.
My original problem was your misleading bullshit. And I called you on it.

Larry you've used that 75% several times over the years to portray the white hatred of MLK, but you always ignored the fact that in '67, a year of riots and civil unrest of all sorts, about 60% of black America had a big problem with MLK too.

But you never mention that.

Nor that in 1964 (pre-riots, pre-Civil Rights and Voting Rights Act) the year that MLK won the Nobel Peace Prize, half of America admired him. And in the 1964-67, with the social changes, riots, and the war in Viet Nam, his approval fell from 50% to 25%.

And Larry the reason there is, as you say, "no shit" is because you are full of it.

Your original problem was your assertion I was wrong about white America’s attitude and that you and your family loved King.

My point remains, King was not the dew eyed dreamer he’s been whitewashed into.

Do you ever wonder why you spend so much time “calling” me on things?

Yeah.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 12:00:53 PM by LarryBnDC »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #4816 on: April 05, 2021, 12:01:43 PM »

A little context should be applied to Larry's constant reference to America's love affair with MLK Jr in 1967.

We had race riots in in the 1964-1967, in particular in NYC in 1964, LA (Watts-1965), Newark and Detroit in 1967.  As the most visible black leader and symbol for racial equality, and integration in a turbulent America MLK Jr. was clearly a target for a lot of anger and resentment from a lot of frightened white Americans. And Black Americans, who were also alarmed by the social changes taking place.

IIRC (from Larry's original polling data, which Larry forgot to post) that around 45-50% of African-Americans also had a negative view of MLK Jr.

BTW, in addition to fighting for racial equality MLK was also an early and vocal critic of the war in Vet Nam.

https://time.com/5042070/donald-trump-martin-luther-king-mlk/

A Harris Poll taken during King’s final year revealed that nearly three-quarters of the American people thought he was persona non grata, and almost 60% of his own people, black Americans, thought he was irrelevant.

In the last year of King’s life, he had fallen off from the ranks of the most-admired Americans. He was disinvited to the White House, forsaken by friends who had fortified him, abandoned by supporters who had sustained his work and witness, and dismissed by a media that had championed his cause.

King had a deep and abiding love for his own people, but many turned against him in the last year of his life. The scorn of being unwelcome to preach in black churches was particularly painful. King was being ridiculed by black elites like Roy Wilkins, Whitney Young, Adam Clayton Powell, Ralph Bunche and even Thurgood Marshall. And for everyday black folk, and for the youth in particular, King’s message of nonviolence was falling on deaf ears. They wanted Black Power.

Sometimes the truth is so subversive and unsettling that people can’t handle it in real time. The terrain of history is dotted with prophetic truthtellers who we came to appreciate much too late. King’s vehement opposition to the war in Vietnam cost him dearly. We now know that King wasn’t so much alone as he was early. And he was right. Indeed, the last year of King’s life is a cautionary tale about what happens to a society that ignores its truthtellers — on racism, poverty, militarism, patriarchy, environmental degradation, white supremacy

Context and facts matter.

Well... that escalated quickly.

Oh? So, you're not a big fan of context and facts? Well, who would've guessed that to be the case?

heh

Banks threw a stick.

Go fetch.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: April 05, 2021, 12:33:17 PM »

Lauren Boebert
@laurenboebert
·
Apr 4
Jesus, uncanceled!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: April 05, 2021, 12:51:07 PM »

Filed under another fine mess. The Donald reduced insurance on mortgages. "big government" reactionary. Last second stuff.  Time to get back to low rates and insurance. Make housing easier to come by.

---The government wants to limit its guarantee of investment property loans
In the waning days of the Trump administration, Treasury Secretary Steven Munchin issued a letter to the Federal Housing Finance Agency (the conservator for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac) directing it to limit the number of second homes and investment properties the government insures to 7% of the portfolio. This created a reaction in the mortgage markets that made these loans harder to get, and a lot more expensive. Rates increased about 0.75% in general for these types of loans.---

Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: April 05, 2021, 01:09:58 PM »

Would love to hear your thoughts on Dr King in a few paragraphs.  Most of what you post leaves others wondering.

In what respects was he similar/dissimilar to Sharpton?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: April 05, 2021, 01:15:43 PM »

Lauren Boebert
@laurenboebert
·
Apr 4
Jesus, uncanceled!

Apr 3

MLB caved to the woke mob based on a false narrative and announced it is moving the All-Star Game and Draft out of Atlanta.

Yet, somehow MLB thinks it’s ok to play games in Cuba and funnel Money bag to a corrupt government that murders its own people and denies basic human rights.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: April 05, 2021, 01:19:52 PM »

FALSE NARRATIVE!!!!

MOB!!!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 01:35:46 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

barton

« Reply #4822 on: April 05, 2021, 01:28:06 PM »

https://www.federationforchildren.org/support-for-school-choice-surges-as-schools-start/

ALEC affiliated right-wing organization.  Please don't use disinformation sources from special interest groups run by billionaires to determine what poor people want.   
LOL!

The U.S. Census Bureau reported in late March that 11.1 percent of K-12 students in the nation are now homeschooling, a significant jump from 5.4 percent when school closures went into effect in spring of 2020, and from the 3.3 percent of families who homeschooled prior to the coronavirus pandemic....

Census data shows that covid happened.  It doesn't show people who want to give up on funding public education.  Many students will return to public schools and end homeschooling, when it's deemed safe.  ALEC and FFC don't report statistics objectively.  Enjoy your spin.

barton

« Reply #4823 on: April 05, 2021, 01:37:35 PM »

MLB caved to the woke mob based on a false narrative and announced it is moving the All-Star Game and Draft out of Atlanta.

Not a phrase found in a reasonable argument. Especially when applied to the majority of the country's population.  But let's discuss the wisdom of the decision on its merits and public policy, hm?  In your own words, how does voting restriction that disproportionately affects people of color advance democracy and give Georgia the best possible representative government? 

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: April 05, 2021, 01:41:30 PM »

Loved or hated, King was right about most everything and still is.

Was he?

They dont know

They can answer for themselves.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: April 05, 2021, 01:43:17 PM »

Speaking of context, your original problem was I stated White America hated King until after he was dead and you disputed that with your usual vehemence.

Larry you've used that 75% several times over the years to portray the white hatred of MLK, but you always ignored the fact that in '67, a year of riots and civil unrest of all sorts, about 60% of black America had a big problem with MLK too.

Nor that in 1964 (pre-riots, pre-Civil Rights and Voting Rights Act) the year that MLK won the Nobel Peace Prize, half of America admired him. And in the 1964-67, with the social changes, riots, and the war in Viet Nam, his approval fell from 50% to 25%.

And Larry the reason there is, as you say, "no shit" is because you are full of it.

Your original problem was your assertion I was wrong about white America’s attitude and that you and your family loved King.

Yeah.

Playing victim again, Larry?

Weak sauce.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: April 05, 2021, 01:47:48 PM »

In your own words, how does voting restriction that disproportionately affects people of color advance democracy and give Georgia the best possible representative government?

Accept the premise of the question?  Nah..........

WEST WING.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: April 05, 2021, 02:03:26 PM »

The republican war on baseball and on American business more generally should be a huge hit with voters.

It’s hard to work your way back from overt fascism to the nation’s good graces. The republicans are failing every step of the way.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: April 05, 2021, 02:08:38 PM »

Yeah.

I don't have a problem Larry.

You do.

With facts and context.

Facts and context about 1964-67, which specifically related to MLK, that you did not and can not refute.

And Larry I spend far less time calling you out than I do with Red or kid or Utley.

When I disagree with someone on a forum, I disagree with them.

If you have a problem with that, that's your problem.

Heat-kitchen
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 02:11:08 PM by bankshot1 »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 2723