Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 53

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 45505 times)

Holly Martins

Re: Movies
« Reply #480 on: August 13, 2022, 10:22:55 PM »

Good lord, is there a GWTW fan in the house? Mr Smith? Stagecoach?

Sorta, yes and yes.  There is something so wonderfully optimistic about Mr Smith.  What happened to that guy?  Capra corn, indeed.  Watch your carbs.

Also. Bound of the Haskervilles, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and (not popular or much successful but somehow I yearn to see it again for its weird storyline and the Omaha prologue) Idiot's Delight. (Also has a rather Hitchcockian vertigo ish twist, which is fun)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 14, 2022, 01:25:56 AM »

My Top 10 Billy Wilder movies, 7 of which are in my (Top 110):

1. Sunset Blvd (3)
2. The Apartment (14)
3. Some Like it Hot (23)
4. Are in the Hole (49)
5. Double Indemnity (61)
6. Ninotchka (62)
7. Stalag 17 (78)
8. Witness for the Prosecution
9. The Fortune Cookie
10. Lost Weekend

Also seen:

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, which was ok and would have been better if they had let him gay it up like he wanted to.
One, Two, Three, which confused frenetic for funny.
Irma La Duce,.which was ok but bloated.
Spirit of St. Louis which also featured my favorite actor of all time, but was uninvolved.
Love in the Afternoon, which was meh.
Seven Year Itch, also meh.
The third best version of The Front Page.
Sabrina which despite having three of my favorite actors ever I dislike intensely.
And the abysmal Buddy Buddy.

Two notes: My Top 100 has burst at the seams. I need to kill some darlings.

I know he only co-wrote Ninotchka but I wanted a Top 10 that did not sacrifice quality.

Third, I do need to see more of his early work.

Is that more than two? OK!
Sam: Those sons of bitches, they got him right through the neck.

Suzy: Was he a good dog?

Sam: Who's to say? But he didn't deserve to die.

Holly Martins

« Reply #482 on: August 15, 2022, 12:04:28 PM »

Lime,

It may be an understatement to say you are more organized in your film fandom than I am.  This is partly owing to a cognitive deficit wherein I have trouble ranking things.  Anywho, of those you mention I especially like (in no particular order of preference, of course)

Sunset Bvd
The Apartment
Ace in the Hole
 Double Indemnity
Ninotchka
Witness for the Prosecution

The others I haven't seen or, as in the case of Lost Weekend, saw them too young and remember too poorly.  Your Sabrina loathing is noted, and endorsed.  It doesn't speak well that I liked the chauffeur more than the A-list characters.  In truth, I remember little of it. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 15, 2022, 01:09:24 PM »

"Better than the remake" is the most positive thing I can say about it. Well, that and I could look at Audrey Hepburn eyes and neck all day, every day.

NotYourAverageSockPuppet

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 15, 2022, 07:20:07 PM »

Also not a list maker here. 

1) Glaring lack of focus/attention span. 
2) Favorites are constantly moving up and down, so keeping things updated would -- well, see #1. 
3)  Many of my favorites are admittedly not great, sometimes not even good, films when measured by the movie rating yardstick. (My favorites might only need a ruler.)  It gets tiring being dragged because a movie I like isn't on the AFI list or otherwise conventionally considered high-ranking. 

The thing about Sunset Boulevard -- it's a fantastic movie, and I love so much about it.  But in eighth grade English class (creative writing unit) there was a spate of submissions written by dead narrators doing the basic flashback story with a twist.  The teacher stood at the front of the class, papers in hand, very annoyed, and semi-yelled "How are all these dead people telling stories?  They're DEAD!"  This echoes in my head while watching SB even though I know the answer is to get over it; everybody does it (especially in 8th grade creative writing class); and, it's Billy Effing Wilder so shut up and enjoy.

Sabrina is my sentimental favorite (that I know everybody hates) of the Wilder stable despite its many flaws, particularly that clunky post-somersault line by Holden "You do love her!" or whatever.  I usually make a point of being out of the room at that time.  From time to time I still try to imagine Lauren Bacall in that role (shudder).  You gentlemen may fight over Ms. Hepburn, I will take the dress.

(Throwing the grenade and running out of the room.)  I think The Apartment is overrated.

NotYourAverageSockPuppet

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 15, 2022, 09:31:46 PM »

In the interest of equal time, here's a partial list of my "must-watch if they're on" flicks in no particular order.  Fire at will.

Casablanca
One Way Passage
Gold Diggers of 1933
Night Nurse
Love Me Tonight
Top Hat
The Sure Thing
The Sea Hawk
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
Kiss Me Kate
42nd Street
Breaking Away
The Adventures of Robin Hood
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
The Invisible Man
Here Comes Mr. Jordan/Heaven Can Wait
The Snapper
The Search
The Smiling Lieutenant
The Young Girls of Rochefort
Trouble in Paradise
Now, Voyager
That Thing You Do!
Dinner Rush
Goodfellas
Stardust  (2007)
Red River
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Van
The Wolf Man
The Landlord
12 Angry Men

ETA: Working Girl, While You Were Sleeping
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 10:55:56 PM by NotYourAverageSockPuppet »

Holly Martins

« Reply #486 on: August 15, 2022, 09:50:32 PM »

(Throwing the grenade and running out of the room.)  I think The Apartment is overrated.

Har!  If Lime invites you on a ferris wheel ride, politely decline.

I enjoyed the eighth grade memoir, as it brought back vivid memories of English teachers berating us for gimmicky plot elements like that.  Although the dead narrator table was turned when we had to read Spoon River Anthology, with its couple hundred dead narrators.  That teacher, driven to defense, had to invoke poetic license.  I liked Alice Seybold's use of the device in The Lovely Bones. 

ETA - nice list but can someone explain to me why Umbrellas of Sheboygan keeps showing up on lists?  Aside from Michele LeGrands terrific music. 

NotYourAverageSockPuppet

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 15, 2022, 10:54:29 PM »

I know we had to read Spoon River Anthology too, but seem to have wiped it from the memory banks. And I will not be making a point of re-reading it.

For me The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is about the doomed love of Ms. Deneuve and that guy (okay, Nino Castelnuovo).  It's soapy, a bit trashy, very predictable -- a total chick flick if I may throw that phrase around -- and knowing that, I still hang on every sung word.   I was not aware it shows up on lists with any regularity -- perhaps it's the novelty of all dialogue being sung?  The strangely vibrant set decoration? And Michel Legrand tunes never hurt. I really dunno.

In a more lighthearted way I also very much enjoy The Young Girls of Rochefort, another piece of the Jacques Demy trilogy.  The plot is ridiculous, but you kind of don't care -- or at least I don't -- and it's not completely about watching George Chakiris dance in white go-go boots.  This also may be the only time I can stand Gene Kelly on screen, unless I'm forgetting something.  I'm interested in checking out Lola, the other entry in said trilogy, but haven't yet had the opportunity to do so.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 15, 2022, 11:48:10 PM »

Also not a list maker here. 

1) Glaring lack of focus/attention span. 
2) Favorites are constantly moving up and down, so keeping things updated would -- well, see #1. 
3)  Many of my favorites are admittedly not great, sometimes not even good, films when measured by the movie rating yardstick. (My favorites might only need a ruler.)  It gets tiring being dragged because a movie I like isn't on the AFI list or otherwise conventionally considered high-ranking. 

The thing about Sunset Boulevard -- it's a fantastic movie, and I love so much about it.  But in eighth grade English class (creative writing unit) there was a spate of submissions written by dead narrators doing the basic flashback story with a twist.  The teacher stood at the front of the class, papers in hand, very annoyed, and semi-yelled "How are all these dead people telling stories?  They're DEAD!"  This echoes in my head while watching SB even though I know the answer is to get over it; everybody does it (especially in 8th grade creative writing class); and, it's Billy Effing Wilder so shut up and enjoy.

Sabrina is my sentimental favorite (that I know everybody hates) of the Wilder stable despite its many flaws, particularly that clunky post-somersault line by Holden "You do love her!" or whatever.  I usually make a point of being out of the room at that time.  From time to time I still try to imagine Lauren Bacall in that role (shudder).  You gentlemen may fight over Ms. Hepburn, I will take the dress.

If you were not already dead to me you would.be dead.to me.

NotYourAverageSockPuppet

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 16, 2022, 08:01:51 AM »

If you were not already dead to me you would.be dead.to me.

Hmm. Maybe I can narrate an excellent movie!

(I didn't say The Apartment is bad, just that its praises may have been sung (IMO) to excess, especially semi-recently in the media. No personal insult intended.)

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 16, 2022, 12:17:24 PM »

It is not like I was serious about that.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 16, 2022, 12:21:25 PM »

It gets tiring being dragged because a movie I like isn't on the AFI list or otherwise conventionally considered high-ranking. 
Actually, on certain, oh, say excessively orbed film forums you are more likely to be dogged because a movie you like IS on the AFI list.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 16, 2022, 04:14:35 PM »

Wolfgang Petersen,.director of one of.the greatest, most intense war movies ever, Das Boot, has died at 81.

NotYourAverageSockPuppet

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 16, 2022, 07:52:40 PM »

It gets tiring being dragged because a movie I like isn't on the AFI list or otherwise conventionally considered high-ranking. 
Actually, on certain, oh, say excessively orbed film forums you are more likely to be dogged because a movie you like IS on the AFI list.

Fair point.

Wolfgang Petersen,.director of one of.the greatest, most intense war movies ever, Das Boot, has died at 81.

A very interesting man, influenced in particular by High Noon to become a director.   He also directed Enemy Mine, which I found to be a pleasant surprise.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 08:12:03 AM by NotYourAverageSockPuppet »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #494 on: August 18, 2022, 08:29:30 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 53