Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 53

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 45514 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #615 on: June 30, 2023, 03:31:25 PM »

Farewell Alan Arkin. Hated hated hated the movie and role he won an Oscar for, but I always enjoyed him.
Sam: Those sons of bitches, they got him right through the neck.

Suzy: Was he a good dog?

Sam: Who's to say? But he didn't deserve to die.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 30, 2023, 10:48:32 PM »

Rest in Peace to Alan Arkin, he was a great actor, one of my favorite movies that he made was "The Inlaws" with Peter Falk, it is a very funny movie.

Salute,

Tony V.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 04, 2023, 12:15:43 PM »

Sometimes I feel I am imposing an unreasonable burden on actors, requiring them to die before I will see their award winning movies.   I thought maybe I had seen THIALH in my youth but really no recollection of it.  Like Hairy and Tony, I preferred him as a comedic actor.  May he RIP.

Meanwhile, apparently there is a new meme and catchphrase for very different sorts of movies released on the same day, Barbenheimer.  What is funny is that these are the two films, both out on July 23, that I most want to see this year so far.

I know there is also a Wes Anderson flick out there now, but am not sure it is up to his usual standard.  Looks like a WFV for me.

Guilty pleasure territory might be JLaw in No Hard Feelings.  Before I start rambling on what a super sexy kitten she is, I will remind myself that she and my daughter were born a couple months apart.  Harumph.  Fine actress.  Dedicated professional. 
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Oiled

• View Profile
Re: Barbie bans burgeoning
« Reply #618 on: July 07, 2023, 08:32:34 AM »

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/06/1186178724/barbie-movie-philippines-vietnam-china-map

The question is why did they put that nine dash line there in the first place.  Leave the crude childishly-drawn map as it was, minus the line, and no one would have given it a second thought.  It's not a realistic world map, so you wonder how China leveraged this geopolitical statement in there during production.  And obviously with some form of threat that they wouldn't release the film to the huge Chinese market.
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 07, 2023, 03:21:43 PM »

Heh.  I forget what my Law/Fassbender litmus test was, so I'll just make up a new one.  If the character leans toward physical violence, including warfare, then Fassbender.
That makes sense. First movie i recall seeing Fassbender in was the war film Enemy at the Gates.

Or not.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 07, 2023, 07:45:05 PM »

Heh.  I forget what my Law/Fassbender litmus test was, so I'll just make up a new one.  If the character leans toward physical violence, including warfare, then Fassbender.
That makes sense. First movie i recall seeing Fassbender in was the war film Enemy at the Gates.

Or not.

Wait, that was....aw fuck me!  Though it's worth pointing out (really it probably isn't) that Jude Law plays a aniper who hides places and picks people off at a distance.  If it were Fassbinder, his character would rush out with a knife  for some close and personal violence.

Fassbender plows right through that nine-dash line in the South China Sea, Law sneaks across after agonizing about it and maybe pouting a little when a superior officer chews him out. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 10, 2023, 03:23:52 PM »

Of course, I saw EatG was before Fassbender was a thing, so to speak, so I knew the Law at the time. I was surprised during a pandemic induce Youtube trip through the complete and completely excellent Jeremy Brett Grenada TV Sherlock Holmes stories to find a beefier 18 year old Law hiding out, occasionally in drag, in Shoscombe Old Place. Brett was the best Holmes, with the arguable exception of Buster Keaton. I need to rewatch that.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 10, 2023, 03:26:06 PM »

Meanwhile, Tar is sticking to me. I have so many questions.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 10, 2023, 06:43:35 PM »

Like what the diacritic does to Tar?  I missed that one, but it sounded like an interesting fictional take on events ripped from the classical music world headlines.  Why my wife avoided it, maybe.  She was a classical musician who happily departed that world. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 10, 2023, 06:46:14 PM »

More like, was that... a ghost?

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 10, 2023, 07:26:55 PM »

Like what the diacritic does to Tar?  I missed that one, but it sounded like an interesting fictional take on events ripped from the classical music world headlines.  Why my wife avoided it, maybe.  She was a classical musician who happily departed that world.
I can understand that; I avoided law related movies for years. But Tar is an intriguing take on corrosive power, fame and invented personality that did kept me locked in and engrossed, despite its run time and a paucity of event. And there is a roughly 10 minute sequence where Blanchett manages to make a point I heartily agree with in a haughty, insulting and controlling way that is brilliant writing and acting.

I see why CB was considered a strong Oscar contender. I also can add Nina Hoss in a shorter but maybe even harder role to the list of "Actresses who were better than Jamie Lee Curtis". And also an always welcome Mark Strong sighting.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 10, 2023, 08:22:23 PM »

Mark Strong and Andy Garcia are the same person  AFAIK.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 12, 2023, 03:12:21 PM »

Mark Strong and Andy Garcia are the same person  AFAIK.
A Michael Law/Jude Fassbender thing? I do not get that, perhaps because I just started noticing Strong and have not thought about Garcia in decades.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 12, 2023, 03:14:17 PM »

Though now that I think about it, I have never seen Strong and Garcia in the same room together. Maybe I should look into that.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 13, 2023, 03:12:47 PM »

I was pretty sure that was Andy Garcia playing the MI6 guy in the Imitation Game, or I was until the credits identified him as Mark Strong.  I had been really impressed with Garcia's accent until I learned that.

And there's the Cuban revolution film, which seemed to me to star Mark Strong, but the credits claimed it was Garcia.  I didn't think it was a reach that Strong, of Italian descent, could speak fluent Spanish - they are just two dialects of the same language.  No harder than Daniel Craig learning to speak like Benoit Blanc.

Like Jude Law, Garcia is a slightly softer version of his lookalike. 
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 53