Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 01:13:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who has the best chance of upsetting the Patriots' chances of winning another Super Bowl?
Chargers
Giants
Packers
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257]
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL  (Read 31377 times)
bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3840 on: January 22, 2018, 06:10:03 PM »

Giants settle for door #3 Shurmer announced as new HC.

Gettleman loved his game plan yesterday

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3841 on: January 22, 2018, 06:15:42 PM »

And all the success he had with the Browns. He strikes me as the same kind of hire that McAdoo was.

I'm a pretty good cook sitting on my groceries. Come up to my kitchen. I'll show you my best recipe
bankshot1
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3842 on: January 22, 2018, 06:17:30 PM »

The denial continues. Climate change a hoax, too, Patsies?

Heh

Troll You've made it perfectly clear, that you are very comfortable with denial, and will stay in denial until your tears dry.

And the only relevant hoax is the one you continually try to perpetrate in Elba.

But no one's buying.

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
bankshot1
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3843 on: January 22, 2018, 06:18:46 PM »

And all the success he had with the Browns. He strikes me as the same kind of hire that McAdoo was.

Agreed.

it might be an inspired choice, but at best he was their 3rd choice.

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3844 on: January 22, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »

I think coaching hires are frequently of catching-lightning-in-a-bottle type thing.  I don't think anybody was extremely excited with the Eagles hiring Pederson and look where is.  Though he had a good amount to work with coming in.  The same can't be said for Shurmur.    
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:31:05 PM by yankguy » Logged

I'm a pretty good cook sitting on my groceries. Come up to my kitchen. I'll show you my best recipe
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3845 on: January 22, 2018, 06:29:45 PM »

Ah, the old "nobody cares about the Patriots, except New England" bullshit again.

Didn't we go through this before?

"Not a national team," says the father of the Jags fan who was heartbroken.

For the year (not merely 2018), Brady's jersey sells at #2 and Gronk's at #1. Brady is #1 for the week and month, Gronk #3.

The Patriots continue to be one of the most popular teams in the NFL, albeit still behind the Cowboys and the Packers at last check.

They are also among the most disliked - more disliked than liked, of course. OTOH, they are still behind the Cowboys.

The thing that Mad Dog is missing is that to have more than 44% of all fans name you as either favorite or most hated team means that a lot of people care about the Patriots.

Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
bankshot1
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3846 on: January 22, 2018, 06:35:23 PM »

Mad Dog is just doing hot takes for a national audience.

He knows there are a handful of real pro sports cities/markets.

And Boston is one of them.

His old buddy Mike F said *to my surprise) that he would have loved to do a radio talk show in Boston because of the passion and knowledge of the fans.

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3847 on: January 22, 2018, 07:07:45 PM »

you have to admit - hiring head coaches/managers/etc is a bit of a crapshoot, with certain exceptions.
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3848 on: January 22, 2018, 07:09:49 PM »

Right. See my follow-up lightning-in-a-bottle post

bankshot1
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3849 on: January 22, 2018, 09:14:30 PM »

this guy gets it.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playoffs/2018/1/22/16920298/super-bowl-new-england-patriots-tom-brady-bill-belichick-hate

You will miss the Patriots when they are gone. If you have hated the past 18 years of New England football from a place of pure fandom, that is understandable. But if you can’t appreciate the team, that is your problem. The Patriots are many things?—?secretive, smug, rule-bendy?—?but they are not boring. And if you think New England’s ceaseless winning is boring, you’ve missed the whole point. Whenever the Patriots become just another team, vulnerable to the year-to-year peaks and valleys that affect all other 31 teams, you?—?yes, you?—?will not be having as much fun.

In Sunday’s AFC championship game, the Patriots beat the Jacksonville Jaguars in a game that would’ve been an epic for anyone else but New England.

Tom Brady and Bill Belichick erased their fourth double-digit fourth-quarter deficit in the playoffs Sunday, and no one thinks it’s particularly special. This is not normal: No other quarterback has done this more than once, and no other franchise has done it more than twice.

The Patriots are great for football. The case has been made that their dominance is either dull or bad or both, but if you feel this way, the problem you have is with the sport of football.

Do me a favor: If you hear anyone talking about Belichick and Brady’s legacy being on the line in any way in the next two weeks, ignore them?—?and maybe never talk to them ever again. The Patriots are not about legacy; this is about entertainment. At this point, Brady’s eighth Super Bowl is running up the score on John Elway, who went to five and won only two, and he has doubled the number of times Joe Montana appeared in the game. But Brady did not need to gain an extra edge over Elway or Montana, nor does he need anything in the game against the Eagles. He already is the GOAT.

heh

“Different forces have brought down the league’s dynasties through the years, including age and the defection of talented assistants. New England must cope with both.” The New York Times wrote that … in 2005.

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3850 on: Today at 12:54:24 AM »

So this is a righht pissah, or no?

East cousst?  Pahhk the cahh??

Yankee Tangoh Farxtoht??